Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR Drum Brake Squeal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: YBR Drum Brake Squeal Reply with quote

2015 YBR 125, 18,000 km. I am the original owner. Rear drum brake has developed an annoying squeal on deceleration, approximately from 5kph> 0. I disassembled the brake, blew it clean with compressed air, sanded the drum and the shoes with 100 grit sandpaper (longitudinally), then blew it clean before assembly. The annoying condition remains. I've rebuild drum brakes on automobiles that had primary and secondary brake shoes, so I was careful to assemble the shoes in their original locations (although I could find no indication that the YBR brake pad compounds are different top to bottom).

Brake shoes looked good; light glaze that easily sanded off, and no foreign material embedded into the brake pad material. Contact points to the cam and anchor pin appear to be free of abnormal wear or apparent damage.

Not really clear on the next steps to take, other than to replace the brake shoes with new. Anybody on BCF have suggestions on what I could try next before installing new shoes?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sanding a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the pad material.

EDIT: Also hold the brake on as you tighten the wheel spindle (and anti-torque arm if fitted) so it gets locked down with the pads central in the drum.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
EDIT: Also hold the brake on as you tighten the wheel spindle (and anti-torque arm if fitted) so it gets locked down with the pads central in the drum.

This makes sense, as the squeal only began to manifest after I changed the rear tyre. Sounds like a two person job, though; one person to apply the brake as I tighten down the axle nut, then tighten the torque arm nut. Thanks for these ideas. I will try both. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: YBR Drum Brake Squeal Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
2015 YBR 125, 18,000 km. I am the original owner. Rear drum brake has developed an annoying squeal on deceleration, approximately from 5kph> 0. I disassembled the brake, blew it clean with compressed air, sanded the drum and the shoes with 100 grit sandpaper (longitudinally), then blew it clean before assembly. The annoying condition remains. I've rebuild drum brakes on automobiles that had primary and secondary brake shoes, so I was careful to assemble the shoes in their original locations (although I could find no indication that the YBR brake pad compounds are different top to bottom).

Brake shoes looked good; light glaze that easily sanded off, and no foreign material embedded into the brake pad material. Contact points to the cam and anchor pin appear to be free of abnormal wear or apparent damage.

Not really clear on the next steps to take, other than to replace the brake shoes with new. Anybody on BCF have suggestions on what I could try next before installing new shoes?

I'd be more concerned with the side effects of blowing out brake dust. Shocked

Don't fukaboot and get new shoes,. They're cheap as and your into the elimination stages now.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rubbing away at the edge can help- as well as centralising the shoes in the wheel. Not a big issue to push the brake lever and tighten up the spindle at the same time.

Although brake dust is an issue, at least it won't be asbestos stuff anymore. I had to modify my original pads from my 1980 car (remove the squealer) and I was careful of that.

Last edited by blurredman on 09:15 - 12 Dec 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Ybr Reply with quote

Every ybr125 we've had in our school has had a noise on deceleration at some point when damp. Change the shoes if you think it's time, but that noise is something I heard every wet day for many years.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: YBR Drum Brake Squeal Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
...Don't fukaboot and get new shoes,. They're cheap as and your into the elimination stages now.

Sorry mate, it's my nature to fukaboot and tinker around until my wife starts to yell at me. Most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but sometimes I know enough to be dangerous. You're absolutely right, of course. At 10 quid, a new set of brake shoes is easily within budget; but I would prefer to dick around a bit first. You know, maybe grind a perfect arc on the brake cam, or design a roller bearing anchor pin. My dream is to design some useless mod that will challenge BMW engineers for stupidity, and maybe permanently disfigure my motorcycle in the process. Alas, my wife will probably start yelling at me before I reach that level of achievement. Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:01 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, chalk line the shoes and laboriously bed them perfectly.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In that case, chalk line the shoes and laboriously bed them perfectly.

Stop making sense!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: YBR Drum Brake Squeal Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
MCN wrote:
...Don't fukaboot and get new shoes,. They're cheap as and your into the elimination stages now.

Sorry mate, it's my nature to fukaboot and tinker around until my wife starts to yell at me. Most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but sometimes I know enough to be dangerous. You're absolutely right, of course. At 10 quid, a new set of brake shoes is easily within budget; but I would prefer to dick around a bit first. You know, maybe grind a perfect arc on the brake cam, or design a roller bearing anchor pin. My dream is to design some useless mod that will challenge BMW engineers for stupidity, and maybe permanently disfigure my motorcycle in the process. Alas, my wife will probably start yelling at me before I reach that level of achievement. Confused

It may be biting off more than you can chew at this stage but if I were you, I'd read up a bit on Power Bands Principles and mibby consider installing a couple of them.
(Get the brakes fettled first mind. Safety.)
Smile

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 13 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: YBR Drum Brake Squeal Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
....if I were you, I'd read up a bit on Power Bands Principles and mibby consider installing a couple of them.
(Get the brakes fettled first mind. Safety.)
Smile

Oh wow! This is good! Cool
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1