Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Satnav with shortest / direct route option?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Satnav with shortest / direct route option? Reply with quote

Hi there

Satnavs used to have a shortest route option - the one that took people through dirt roads, through fords, over mountains, and generally got them into trouble etc Laughing - but I can't find a satnav that has this anymore. I have tried google Maps, Waze and a few of the obvious ones and they have lots of options but not this one. Please could someone suggest an App that still does this? Question Question

Reason: I want to avoid motorways (yes, this can be done on some apps) and dual carriage ways (not an option in satnavs I have tried) and go by the prettiest most silly windy uneconomical direct route without going near a main road Thumbs Up

Cheers!
phil

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calimoto

https://calimoto.com/en/motorcycle-trip-planner

It'll do a route on the fly, or you can plan in advance and send it to the app on your phone to follow

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chutzpah wrote:
Try calimoto

It'll do a route on the fly, or you can plan in advance and send it to the app on your phone to follow

Thanks but that doesn't do it either, it just does a route that is far longer than it needs to be Crying or Very sad

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:00 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeline Thumbs Up

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
Chutzpah wrote:
Try calimoto

Thanks but that doesn't do it either, it just does a route that is far longer than it needs to be Crying or Very sad

Ah OK, slightly misread your needs. I haven't tried beeline as Dynax suggests, but know people that use it. For a short while TomTom did the Vio, which was specifically designed for scooters and mopeds, that avoided certain types of road in its algorithm so if someone has one second hand they don't want it might be worth a look?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:

That actually is a great idea on a motorbike, pity it's so expensive.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:

Thanks, but I just downloaded it and it won't let me sign up: keeps saying "email is badly formatted" (tried a few, all same error) so I think this is full of bugs. besides, it doesn't seem to have a shortest route option, just a as the crow flies option, which is not ideal as then it leads you down dead ends.

the on-bike device looks cool though, but I don't want to spend much cash and if the app won't even let me sign up (and has very low feedback of 3 stars) I think I'll skip this

sorry, appreciate the tip tho!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
dynax wrote:

That actually is a great idea on a motorbike, pity it's so expensive.

It is great. I've done about a thousand miles with mine now and it allows me to easily navigate around on the best roads available. I can sit in my living room, streetview the road I'm choosing, plot my waymarkers and when I go out hit start and it gives me prompts. But it's not in your face, in your ear or distracting you when you're just trying to have a decent ride.

There are some quirks that I'm learning my way around, but in general it's been excellent and I'd recommend it.

Expensive? Yeah, but it's only a nifty to a ton over what you'd really want to pay and you only buy on once. I justified it to myself that I don't have to sit there faffing with my phone in a cover or stopping every 5 mins for a check of the map. I'm not too upset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
it allows me to easily navigate around on the best roads available. I can sit in my living room, streetview the road I'm choosing, plot my waymarkers .......[/quote]

That's exactly what I don't want as I can do that on google! Waze used to give an option where you type in the destination and click on shortest route. It would then take you over the mountain rather than the faster roads around it... does anyone know of any satnavs that still have the shortest route option?

cheers

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has one of these on his 1250 Bandit. He swears by it.

I must admit as someone who is used to a fully fledged TomTom I'm somewhat sceptical but I'm going to borrow his bike to check it out. If it's OK, I might become a convert as the TomTom is a big old lump.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It is great. I've done about a thousand miles with mine now and it allows me to easily navigate around on the best roads available.

It looks intriguing. I can see how it would be fab on a pushbike, but how does it cope with negotiating complex junctions, like a 6-lane roundabout with 7 exits? My Garmin causes me more than enough grief in those situations

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It is great. I've done about a thousand miles with mine now and it allows me to easily navigate around on the best roads available. I can sit in my living room, streetview the road I'm choosing, plot my waymarkers and when I go out hit start and it gives me prompts. But it's not in your face, in your ear or distracting you when you're just trying to have a decent ride.

There are some quirks that I'm learning my way around, but in general it's been excellent and I'd recommend it.

Expensive? Yeah, but it's only a nifty to a ton over what you'd really want to pay and you only buy on once. I justified it to myself that I don't have to sit there faffing with my phone in a cover or stopping every 5 mins for a check of the map. I'm not too upset.

I tried out just the app since it was free. Love the idea, but found it lagged behind where I actually was, and the direction indicator slowly drifted away from where it was telling me to go, i.e. if I were on a long straight road, it'd be telling me to go straight, but be pointing at 9 o'clock. I can see me using it if the actual display was accurate, but don't want to fork out a hundred quid to find out. Shame, as it's quite nuggety, and I like nuggety Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
arry wrote:
It is great. I've done about a thousand miles with mine now and it allows me to easily navigate around on the best roads available.

It looks intriguing. I can see how it would be fab on a pushbike, but how does it cope with negotiating complex junctions, like a 6-lane roundabout with 7 exits? My Garmin causes me more than enough grief in those situations

I pick the exit with the most likely chance of being the right one based on what the signs say as I approach the roundabout, then let the twatnav reroute after if I got it wrong Smile Good enough for the days before sat nav, still works now Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think what the OP wants is actually completely possible. The Nav works off mapping, it can't (afaik) tell if it's a dirt track or a dual carriageway. This is why SatNags for HGV's cost a load more, the mapping has to be far more detailed and include bridge heights, restrictions, etc. You are paying for the extra detail.

You'd need a Nav that had mapping that includes byways and greenlanes and some kind of way the device knows how many lanes the road has. I don't think any do, I've looked at both my car and truck devices and neither even has the major metaled Byways surrounding me.

I don't even think the major telematics providers have that level of detail on their mapping. IIRC on TomTom or Microlise if your lorry goes AWOL up a greenlane on screen it looks like he is in a field.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Complex junctions - not that well, it's one of its limitations because you don't have an actual map layout, err, laid out in front of you. The only times this really causes problems are 1) when you stick a waymarker close to a junction as it counts down to the waymarker and then goes AARGGH JUNCHUN! straight after it, but you've already sailed past, so you get used to not doing that, and 2) if you've got something fiddly like crossing a main road where you've got to go left then right within a very short distance - example was a few weeks ago here: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3257341,0.5122122,3a,75y,233.99h,94.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTKPtYNpZpusBvtMBpxfyrQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It said turn left so I did, but then because I couldn't see the next instruction as I was busy pulling out onto a busy dual carriageway, I didn't know I had to get myself instantly over to the right, so I pinned it and then looked down and went BORRRROOOCCKKKS as I sailed past the right hand deceleration lane.

But on roundabouts it'll tell you which exit number you're taking and if you are good enough a rider to negotiate the roundabout whilst still watching the pointer you'd see the pointer move to indicate which direction you're supposed to be going in. You sort of 'get a feel' for it after a while.

I tend to think of it as a pointer in the right direction rather than a full on navigation system. I didn't want a full on sat-nav anyway. Too obtrusive. If you accept it for its limitations by loving it for its strengths then you'll absolutely love it. If you want a full on nav system then there's better solutions available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I tried out just the app since it was free. Love the idea, but found it lagged behind where I actually was, and the direction indicator slowly drifted away from where it was telling me to go, i.e. if I were on a long straight road, it'd be telling me to go straight, but be pointing at 9 o'clock. I can see me using it if the actual display was accurate, but don't want to fork out a hundred quid to find out. Shame, as it's quite nuggety, and I like nuggety Smile

I've not had that issue, it's been pretty much bob on. There's been a few little glitches that you learn to work around but otherwise it's been excellent. The biggest mistake you can make with it is sticking a waymarker on a junction - if you remember not to do that, the actual navigation aspect of it is pretty faultless.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've ordered one of the Beeline Motos, looks like the dogs ballocks to me really. 30 day money back guarantee if I don't like it. Cool

Got to be better than the 30" 1980's boxed telly that full on Satnavs remind me of.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
So I've ordered one of the Beeline Motos, looks like the dogs ballocks to me really. 30 day money back guarantee if I don't like it. Cool

Got to be better than the 30" 1980's boxed telly that full on Satnavs remind me of.

I don't think you can't like it really - if it appeals to you enough to buy it, you'll like it. If it doesn't appeal but you buy it anyway, you'll not like it. I know that sounds odd and ridiculously logical but it's true Laughing

One of the things I didn't notice for a while but like looking at now is the 'heatmap' held in the app, so you can see where you've been and what roads you have spent most time on - plus all of the distance / average speed stuff in there too. I tend to plot in a destination now even if I'm not going there just so that it maps my ride, and I can toggle the display to a digital speedometer (helpful on the Enfield!) so that it's not just throwing random directions at me.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I don't think what the OP wants is actually completely possible. The Nav works off mapping, it can't (afaik) tell if it's a dirt track or a dual carriageway. .

It is Razz , my 15 y/o Garmin does it! But that is too pale to see in open light and obviously has no Bluetooth etc

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:22 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.myrouteapp.com. I've found it to be excellent and I tour quite alot. Can use to export routes to tomtom, garmin etc or even use the myroute navigation app on your phone. Reasonable costs and run by bikers, constant development and improvement.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis1337 wrote:
Try www.myrouteapp.com. I've found it to be excellent and I tour quite alot. Can use to export routes to tomtom, garmin etc or even use the myroute navigation app on your phone. Reasonable costs and run by bikers, constant development and improvement.

Thanks, but this doesn't have direct route option... just a planner that you can export to gps. I can use google maps to plan and export for free without paying 50 quid for the privilege !

I'm going to guess no one does direct shortest route now as they're all too scared of being sued by people who drive down dirt tracks or through fords that are too deep etc !

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:44 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 2 bike sat Navs and both have the option your asking for.

tom Tom Rider 5
BMW Navigator 6 (Garmin)

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
I own 2 bike sat Navs and both have the option your asking for.

tom Tom Rider 5
BMW Navigator 6 (Garmin)

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking of an App rather than full satnav, but maybe I'll have to invest in a proper system Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
struan80 wrote:

I don't think you can't like it really - if it appeals to you enough to buy it, you'll like it. If it doesn't appeal but you buy it anyway, you'll not like it. I know that sounds odd and ridiculously logical but it's true Laughing

One of the things I didn't notice for a while but like looking at now is the 'heatmap' held in the app, so you can see where you've been and what roads you have spent most time on - plus all of the distance / average speed stuff in there too. I tend to plot in a destination now even if I'm not going there just so that it maps my ride, and I can toggle the display to a digital speedometer (helpful on the Enfield!) so that it's not just throwing random directions at me.

It's actually perfect for my needs, doubles as a fridge magnet. Really quite impressed so far. It's petit and appears to have all the functionality that you need. Going on a run tomorrow so see how it performs.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on? Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2