BCF: Bike Chat Forums

An Adventure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: An Adventure Reply with quote

So...an old school friend is getting married, and wants everybody there.

So I've agreed to turn up can't wait to embark on a new adventure Dance!

Now it's 250'ish miles from Folkestone to Stoke on Trent (on a 125 Shocked) so I thought I'd start Friday evening after work, stop off somewhere about half way, and crack on in the morning Cool & pray it doesn't Rain too much.
Go to the do on Saturday night, come home on Sunday... hey ho Whistle what could possibly go wrong Praying

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:18 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a honda twin? You'll be fine. 4 to 5 hours riding. Just keep alert, don't forget to eat and drink.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine. I used to tour about Scotland on a CG125, doing about 200-250 miles a day. It was no bother for the bike, I just looked for interesting routes, preferably avoiding dual carriageways. Not that the bike won't do dual carriageways all day but it is more tiring and the smaller roads suit it better.

Your attitude is more important, you have to be content taking your time, but just stop regularly to take photos, etc. And it's quite enjoyable. I actually also found myself overtaking cars a lot more than you might expect as well. Even managed an overtake for 6 once with a truck at the front 😂 Longest overtake I've ever performed, in terms of time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on a cruiser, you'll not have the option of taking some of your weight on your legs. Seems comfy to begin with but it can kill your backside after a while. Wear cycle shorts if you have some.

Strap your gear to the bike, wearing a rucksack is really fatiguing too.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: An Adventure Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
250'ish miles from Folkestone to Stoke on Trent (on a 125 Shocked) so I thought I'd start Friday evening after work, stop off somewhere about half way, and crack on in the morning Cool & pray it doesn't Rain too much.

I cannot remember whether or not sir is permitted on motorways.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: An Adventure Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

250'ish miles from Folkestone to Stoke on Trent (on a 125 ) so what could possibly go wrong Praying

Easy peasy.
If your bike is well looked after and you don’t rag the life out of your 125, it’ll do it without a problem.

Just give yourself enough time.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always reckoned on longer trips you could rarely average over 50mph regardless of bike engine size or style.
Comfort may be another matter.
More than once we were on a long run with touring bikes, and every time we stopped for a fuel [the same] little 125/250 overtaken 30 miles back would buzz past before we even got filled up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:57 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: An Adventure Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Not yet, start training on the 7th.... Whistle

Nice posts guys. I believe an adventure can be both good and bad, and what ever is thrown at you, you just deal with it...as long as I get home in one piece I'll have a good laugh about any crap that happens, no matter what.

A couple of weeks ago I went to London. Not being allowed on the motorways meant I got to see another part of the country that I hadn't seen for 40 odd years, yes there were some crap places but by and large much of it was really scenic and picturesque.

I have a whacking great box on the back and a couple of panniers, it will have to do. Also a spare chain, head lamps, and a can puncture repair foam, spare spark plugs, and a reasonable selection of tools. You cant be expected to have everything, that's just the way it is. Riding gear all waterproofed the weekend, as was the usual maintenance/clean.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: An Adventure Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Not yet, start training on the 7th.... Whistle
I have a whacking great box on the back and a couple of panniers, it will have to do. Also a spare chain, head lamps, and a can puncture repair foam, spare spark plugs, and a reasonable selection of tools. You cant be expected to have everything, that's just the way it is. Riding gear all waterproofed the weekend, as was the usual maintenance/clean.

Plan your route & have fun. You seem to have the rest in hand. Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Also, on a cruiser, you'll not have the option of taking some of your weight on your legs. Seems comfy to begin with but it can kill your backside after a while. Wear cycle shorts if you have some.

Yup, same sort of distance on my Cornwall trip. I could only do about 1.5 ~ 2hrs riding before stopping 'cos of the seat. Rucksack is okay if you only put the light stuff in Wink

I cruised along around 55mph. Faster was fine in bursts but there's a sweet spot where vibrations are low and the weight/handling/power/etc. of the bike feel comfortable. Somewhere between 45 and 55 for a 125 I suspect if your bike's anything like my old Superlight.

Dual carriageways are just boring - spending north of an hour just trundling along never changing the throttle, never braking, barely turning. That being said I'd plan the most direct and easiest to remember route on the way up and the most interesting route on the way back.

And hope for fine weather Very Happy

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:16 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I find if I push with my legs my arse rides up the saddle allows me to straighten my legs and my weight goes onto the backrest, not perfect but does afford a little comfort and allows the blood to flow.

stinkwheel wrote:

Yup, agreed & will do.

Easy-X wrote:
Yup, same sort of distance on my Cornwall trip...

Ah, that's another area on my 'todo' list. I've got a friend in Okehampton, maybe next month Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Ah, that's another area on my 'todo' list. I've got a friend in Okehampton, maybe next month Very Happy

Quite a trip from where you are but I'd probably go A27/A31/A35/A30.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensure you do not get so wasted on the Saturday at the wedding, that you're over the limit / tired on the bike on the return ride on Sunday.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:44 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: An Adventure Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
So...an old school friend is getting married, and wants everybody there.

So I've agreed to turn up can't wait to embark on a new adventure Dance!

Now it's 250'ish miles from Folkestone to Stoke on Trent (on a 125 Shocked) so I thought I'd start Friday evening after work, stop off somewhere about half way, and crack on in the morning Cool & pray it doesn't Rain too much.
Go to the do on Saturday night, come home on Sunday... hey ho Whistle what could possibly go wrong Praying

I rode 360 miles in a day on a 125 earlier this month. Wasn't pleasant, but was possible. Took a while.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect for agreeing to go but you're focussing on the wrong bit of the "adventure". The journey requires far less consideration than the destination.

Stoke on Trent?

Its a shithole. You might not even have two wheels or even a bike to make the return journey on. Even if your bike isn't nicked or vandalised you won't be able to make it home because your very soul, your joie de vivre, your faith in the beauty and fairness of the world will have been sucked out of you by the place.

I'm allowed to say this, I lived & worked there.....and escaped.

Good luck, maybe the train?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good point Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:07 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
GettinBetter wrote:

Quite a trip from where you are but I'd probably go A27/A31/A35/A30.

I'll come back to this post in a month or so and check that out Thumbs Up although I may have a full license by then, which will give me more route choice, and the option of a bigger bike. So may even defer the trip till I've got that sorted.

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
...Its a shithole. You might not even have two wheels or even a bike to make the return journey on. Even if your bike isn't nicked or vandalised you won't be able to make it home because your very soul, your joie de vivre, your faith in the beauty and fairness of the world will have been sucked out of you by the place. ...

OMG....I'm only there for a few hours, I'll hang on to my "joie de vivre" cos I'm that sort of guy, but if anyone touches my beloved machine, they won't be dying of covid. I'll consider that a heads up, and be on high alert and also be sleeping with an anti theft device. Any areas I should be particularly wary of? I'll be gutted if I'm actually going there Shifty

Especially after this reminder...

willis1337 wrote:
Ensure you do not get so wasted on the Saturday at the wedding, that you're over the limit / tired on the bike on the return ride on Sunday.

Cheers 'willis' I'll try to keep that in mind. It's a welcome reminder especially after last xmas eve at my brothers, almost missed xmas day completely.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettingBetter wrote:

Quote:
Any areas I should be particularly wary of? I'll be gutted if I'm actually going there Shifty

Hopefully the "do" is at a country pile somewhere outside Stoke. Laughing

Stoke is made up of 6 towns, all joined together. Stoke, Hanley, Burslem, Tunstall, Fenton, Longton.

I'd say Hanley is worst, ST1, postcode, the de facto city centre. Think of that as the primary shithole, the other 5 are the clinkers stuck to it.

HTH Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Stoke is made up of 6 towns, all joined together. Stoke, Hanley, Burslem, Tunstall, Fenton, Longton.

I'd say Hanley is worst, ST1, postcode, the de facto city centre. Think of that as the primary shithole, the other 5 are the clinkers stuck to it.

HTH Thumbs Up

Eloquent , so eloquent Thumbs Up Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:55 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were all correct, it was a doddle. Dance!

Left Friday after work 16-00, through London.... Satnav took me through the Dartford Tunnel, arrived at Hemel Hempstead (Holiday Inn) for about 20-30. Sleeping Locked bike to lampost removed contents for saddlebags. Still dry.

06-20 Checked bike was still there, it was, else I'd have gone back to bed. Breakfast at 06-30 on the road for 07-30. Up the A5 was a breeze, talking of which that was the only issue, I had a crosswind all the way.
Arrived in Stoke about 10-30'ish visited daughter, and then went across town to the venue. Still dry. Covered bike in front garden (using the out of sight out of mind theory) and within the hour the sky open up. Rain Got my head down around 02-00 only a little Wasted

Departed Sunday around 09-30 down the A5 again, loads more traffic on the road. Three 10 minute stops and was home by 16-30 Chequered Flag and would you believe still bone dry. IIRC google declared it to be about 270mls + trip to daughters, I'd say a total of ~550mls or thereabouts for my second trip.

With hindsight Thinking I'd have stopped more often, and I now realise I want a dedicated Satnav so that I can use my phone for photos, I couldn't be arsed disconnecting it from the USB charger and removing from handlebar case to take photos. I also want more control over the route rather than letting the Satnav dictate.

I gonna get this test business out of the way (hopefully), then the next trip is Devon, before the weather closes in.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Sat-nags for work. When you need to get to a place at a certain time they're invaluable but you can end up being a slave to the things and not really taking in the journey.

Great thing with a bike is getting lost! Ending up down some dirt track and checking the map is no biggie whereas blocking some high-hedged C-road in a car while you squint at an O/S map or Google could be fraught with danger.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the trip went well and you’re positive about the whole episode Thumbs Up .
Long trips on smaller bikes rock! Smile
jeremydixon21 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1