Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The whole exam grades thing.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: The whole exam grades thing. Reply with quote

Is it as bad as the media say or are we watching lots of middle class types having hysterics because their little darlings might have to just leave off going to University for a year? Can't they just do their exams next year? Am I still in the age of pen and paper and not understanding the current problems of the digital yoof?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the expected bell curve and the fact that teachers have inflated grades.

My understanding isnt that the grades were inflated, but that the algorithm downgraded by school location etc and not the same bell curve applied equally.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's all about the expected bell curve and the fact that teachers have inflated grades.

My understanding isnt that the grades were inflated, but that the algorithm downgraded by school location etc and not the same bell curve applied equally.

I understand how the grading issue is a mess. It's the end of the world as they know it stuff. Are those kids futures genuinely screwed? If you don't like an A level grade surely you can take the exam again at some point? I'm sure you could when I was a teenager.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:29 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do this exact moderating process every year, it's just based on the actual exam results rather than teacher predictions.

The top x% get an A, then next y% get a B and so-on, it's all down to the bell-curve and they vary the cut-off mark to achieve the gradings (then add a fraction of a percent so the incumbent government can crow about increased student performance under their rule).

The process they have used does exactly the same thing to give the same spread of results overall but they have done it in a complex fashion. Effectively they ignore the teachers actual predicted grade but take their ranking and assign grades based on this as a function of previous performance in that school.

So if a school has had 10% of their maths students awarded an A for the last 3 years, the top 10% of their students (according to the teachers rankings) are awarded an A under this system.

In a big school, this will be pretty fair. In a small pupil number school, it doesn't work so they have taken the teachers predicted grade.

Guess what? In shit schools with persistantly shit performance, they award shit marks.

It's unfair if you have a school that has significantly upped its game recently, got a shit-hot teacher etc. It's also unfair if you have a very gifted pupil in a crap school.

It seems that, on average, 40% of pupil marks have been over-estimated by teachers and those pupils have been down-moderated. It just so happens the poorer performing schools have over-graded students more.

Thing is, the computer is blind, there is no account taken of relative wealth of the schools or ethnic make-up. It's just looking at the raw numbers and the fact is, poorer areas return poorer results year-on year

Of course there is a lot of bawwing. People think (probably correctly) that if they baww loud enough, they will get a higher exam grade.

The solution to me would be to allow people not happy with their grading to sit an exam, or for unis to have an optional entrance exam this year.

The really interesting thing to my mind would be if someone legally challenged the result under the legislation for decisions made by algorithm and demanded a human assessment...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:38 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add that I personally would have been totally screwed under this system.

I coasted all the way through school, did no homework or unecessary coursework, fucked about in class and did nothing but turn up for prelim exams making no real effort. However I quietly submitted gold-standard assessed coursework for the exam board and pulled it out of my arse for the actual exam.

Most of my teachers thought I was thick and I was constantly in trouble. My predicted grades were apalling. I finished as the top pupil and was awarded the dux medal. This caused a large amount of consternation in the school staff and there were actually moves to award it to someone else because "It's not fair, other people put a lot more work in". However the head teacher was adamant that it's not about how much work you put in, it's about the results you got. A life lesson right there.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 14 I did my English Language O level. I was handed my mock results about 15 minutes before I went in to the real exam and it was a D or an E, talk about build a kid's confidence up. We did the exam early so we could spend the next year doing English Lit.

As it happens I got an A, imagine if my grade had been based on the mock. I'd have rather had the algorithm version, I bet it helped some of the A level students out who would have had rubbish results otherwise.

I failed the English Literature (ungraded), mostly owing to the fact I didn't actually read any of the books we were meant to, god there was some boring old pony to wade through, Henry the 4th part something or other, My Family and Other Animals, can't remember the rest they were so dull. Might have been a poem about dying for your country, not sure now.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got O level Eng lit and O level Biology then an A level in sculpture. All useless. The career adviser showed me how to fill in the A1 form which was far more useful, it was the form for claiming dole.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one year my parents came back from parent's evening and they said the 'O' level biology teacher didn't even know I was in her class. I was a quiet kid but still... the old duffer! I had a maths teacher who hardly spoke a word, it was all about following the exercises in a textbook. I know OFSTED hasn't eliminated all the poor-performing teachers but those two would have been straight out the door.

This year it looks like the students have all won the lottery. They'll have to wait a bit longer before learning that life isn't fair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fcuked when Scotland chickened out and awarded the teachers grading with no modifiers. Once that was done everyone was pretty well forced to follow suit.

I doubt there's a teacher in any school that didn't award their pupils the best grades they could get away with and then some.

And now they've got their way they are bawing about the fact it wasn't given straight away.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:13 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can inflate or deflate grades for one reason or another but a B student for instance, should be about the same intellect as one from last year, next year, another county etc. Otherwise the letters don't help much. An employer looking at CV's needs a level playing field.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

I failed the English Literature (ungraded), mostly owing to the fact I didn't actually read any of the books we were meant to, god there was some boring old pony to wade through, Henry the 4th part something or other, My Family and Other Animals, can't remember the rest they were so dull. Might have been a poem about dying for your country, not sure now.

Your powers of bullshit aren't strong enough. I didn't read any of my higher english lit texts either and got a good A (95th percentile). Teacher had been marking me down because she knew full well I was making it all up on the fly (and kept telling her so). The exam marker had no such prior knowledge.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
You can inflate or deflate grades for one reason or another but a B student for instance, should be about the same intellect as one from last year, next year, another county etc. Otherwise the letters don't help much. An employer looking at CV's needs a level playing field.

Do employers actually look at the things anyway? Surely they're just crisp packets and the only ones that matter are if your kid is applying for medical school.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:37 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an employer sees B for English, he knows the applicant can probably write coherent sentences - if it was a D, maybe not. If for the job, and there are loads beneath med school, a decent command of English is an advantage, then yes, an employer is very interested. If the applicant has had grade inflated, he/she might not be up for the job. Not all jobs need basic skills but many do. There is a big variety between clever and dim! Most of us fit somewhere in between. No, accurate grading has a place in society. The best candidates have decent ability and a bit of 'common' too. What bugs me is politically correct grading. If you have 3 candidates, see them all. If you have 200 letters, grades are a start to short listing, so some accuracy is useful.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

Your powers of bullshit aren't strong enough. I didn't read any of my higher english lit texts either and got a good A (95th percentile). Teacher had been marking me down because she knew full well I was making it all up on the fly (and kept telling her so). The exam marker had no such prior knowledge.
I had a history of not bothering if I didn't find it interesting. I did History at O level and also found that dull, key words come back to me, Metternich, Bismarck, corn laws, congress of somewhere or other(Vienna?), I couldn't be bothered to memorise it. I was building lots of tank and aircraft models at the time, used to read the blurb about them in the instructions. When I had my mock I ignored the set parts and answered the stuff on WW2 which we hadn't done. My history teacher (where are you now Mrs Argent, I quite liked you) did her 'raving nanar'. She was furious and tore me off a strip for about 30 minutes.

I did the same on the real O level exam and got a C grade, just a few key facts with general filling out around it. I left as soon as I had done my exams so didn't see my history teacher again, got the results posted through my letterbox (same as the English the year before).

I think half my trouble was when we came to choose what O levels we wanted to do, my list got torn up in front of me because they thought I wanted a lazy time (probably true). I wanted to be a mechanical engineering draftsman so I wanted to do technical drawing, art and metalwork. I was allowed to do TD, the rest were barred to me and I was given a list of what I would do. I seem to recall asking why they were called options?

I ended up getting on to the evening part of the Ford's apprentices' practical sessions at the local college one evening a week with my mate. You needed a letter from the headmaster to attend which my dad sorted for me (not sure how, but the headmaster didn't know about it). Load of yobbos they were, but I enjoyed that, playing with all the machinery etc. and I did art after school.

For the after school art I was double entered (not as good as it sounds) for CSE and O level by the art teacher. Got a 1 and a C for those. Got my Maths, Geography, Physics and TD O levels, failed my Chemistry and Eng Lit as mentioned previously.

I was asked to do a new O level exam called Graphical Communication by the TD teacher as a trial so did all the coursework in my own time. As the time approached it turned out the exam was at the same time as the TD and although my teachers asked if they could let me do it afterwards with supervision I was told this was refused by the exam board so that got dropped.

Out of all the above the stuff I actually use in day to day work is the TD, maths and geography. Who'd have though map references would ever come in useful?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's unfair if you have a school that has significantly upped its game recently, got a shit-hot teacher etc. It's also unfair if you have a very gifted pupil in a crap school.

Well this is the crux of the problem

Most shit schools will still have a collection of reasonably capable students. All those students will have been passed over and marked down by the algorithm just because they were at a shit school.

What amazes me is that such a thing were allowed to happen. Somebody somewhere will have been tasked with creating the code to perform the analysis and calculations, and the results appear to be no better than a C-grade programming project from a first year uni student. "Add a lower weighting to schools with lower average grades". At that point, it is obvious that someone should then ask, "But what do we do about top performing students in the schools that are weighted down?" It's such a blindingly obvious question, it simply can't have been overlooked by accident.

At the very least, I think it's pretty clear that no professional statistician, data scientist or academic anywhere in the country was consulted during all of this. I guess this is what happens when you have the likes of Michael Gove telling the nation, "We've had enough of experts."

Considering we were once proud hosts to the likes of Bletchley Park, cracking the enigma code, etc, this weeks failure is just another sad indictment of the state of UK governance (or its lack and deliberate destruction thereof).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it's nothing to do with the government, it's the exam bodies that do it. There's way more than just one, so they are vying for the contracts and as so, one doesn't want to be way outside the parameters of the others.

Too many high passes and it detracts from the exam kudos. Too many low and it looks like they are setting papers badly.

Universities obviously look long and hard at the results and they are the first to say if they are not happy with what they are seeing.

As much as I would like to consign Gove to the Slough of Despond in this case I don't think you can pin too much of this on him.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'll add that I personally would have been totally screwed under this system.

I coasted all the way through school, did no homework or unecessary coursework, fucked about in class and did nothing but turn up for prelim exams making no real effort. However I quietly submitted gold-standard assessed coursework for the exam board and pulled it out of my arse for the actual exam.

Most of my teachers thought I was thick and I was constantly in trouble. My predicted grades were apalling. I finished as the top pupil and was awarded the dux medal. This caused a large amount of consternation in the school staff and there were actually moves to award it to someone else because "It's not fair, other people put a lot more work in". However the head teacher was adamant that it's not about how much work you put in, it's about the results you got. A life lesson right there.

"That Stinkwheel boy must have cheated."

(But we just can't prove it. 🤔)

🤣

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

As much as I would like to consign Gove to the Slough of Despond in this case I don't think you can pin too much of this on him.

I actually liked Gives position on education. He wanted to go back to a straight forward system where you learn stuff then sit in an exam and prove that. He understood why kids in private schools do better. It's a lot to do with confidence. I did terribly at school and at the time exams terrified me but I've come to realise that where the system failed me was in that the school didn't give a s#it and I had no confidence. I couldn't read until I was ten as I had a literacy difficulty, the teachers didn't care and my mum had to fight to get me assessed by an educational psychologist who confirmed I was not so much thick as inhibited by cross lateral syndrome. With the help of the educational psychologist she taught me how to read and write. I often wonder how different life would have been if the education system I went through had actually taken my educational needs seriously. I also wonder how a child today with similar problems fares in the current system.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
AFAIK it's nothing to do with the government, it's the exam bodies that do it. There's way more than just one, so they are vying for the contracts and as so, one doesn't want to be way outside the parameters of the others.

Too many high passes and it detracts from the exam kudos. Too many low and it looks like they are setting papers badly.

Universities obviously look long and hard at the results and they are the first to say if they are not happy with what they are seeing.

Ofqual is a government body and they handled the grades algorithms fiasco.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofqual

And here's their current head: https://www.linkedin.com/in/roger-taylor-2591403b/?originalSubdomain=uk

Look at his work experience. Since graduation he's done nothing but act as an FT correspondent, then swan around acting as the 'Chair' of various big organisations. Stinks of having friends and connections in the right places. Useless. And now he's the chair of a group focused on Data Analytics and AI. Weird position for someone with zero experience in data analytics or AI.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

And here's their current head: https://www.linkedin.com/in/roger-taylor-2591403b/?originalSubdomain=uk

Look at his work experience. Since graduation he's done nothing but act as an FT correspondent, then swan around acting as the 'Chair' of various big organisations. Stinks of having friends and connections in the right places. Useless. And now he's the chair of a group focused on Data Analytics and AI. Weird position for someone with zero experience in data analytics or AI.

Nothing new there. The original head of the Scottish Social Services Council was some party twonk who had been sacked from his job in Holyrood for bullying, so obviously the natural choice for a position upholding standards of care.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Of course there is a lot of bawwing. People think (probably correctly) that if they baww loud enough, they will get a higher exam grade.

And. Here. We. Go.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

And. Here. We. Go.

Isn't this missing the point somewhat? The point is that kids with wealthy parents are more likely to get higher grades every year as it is, and the algorithm applied this year merely exacerbated the situation.

As an aside, notice how virtually everybody shown protesting, burning exam results etc in the media was either a soap-dodger, a lesbian stereotype or BAME. Clever media in doing this because as a nation we care less about people in those groups than we do nice, cute, clean-cut white kids...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

As an aside, notice how virtually everybody shown protesting, burning exam results etc in the media was either a soap-dodger, a lesbian stereotype or BAME. Clever media in doing this because as a nation we care less about people in those groups than we do nice, cute, clean-cut white kids...

I'm not sure I agree with your logic there. Yes, there are certainly more than your fair share of BAME in any articles or newscasts but that's just the way things are at the moment. If anything its trying to acquire sympathy by using ethnic minority's (cue BLM) same as advertising has used way higher percentages of mixed families and BAME in adverts than there actually are.

You certainly can't accuse the BBC of trying to deflect criticism of the government.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympathise with the kids. Based on predictions I should have done much worse in my exams, especially A-Levels.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I can sympathise with the kids. Based on predictions I should have done much worse in my exams, especially A-Levels.

Some will have done worse but a lot will have done much better. When wifie was exams officer in a school she said there was rarely an exam when at least one child didn't walk out in tears or anger due to exam nerves.

There again, when I was at college doing my Seconds exams someone said 'Why do we have to learn formulae and suchlike when we can just look them up when we need them. Why can't we be given them?'

Lecturer (ex Royal Navy engineer) said it's all to do with pressure and coping with it. If you can't remember stuff and perform under pressure in a class room, you're no use to us on a ship when the shit hits the fan.

Different ideas back in the 70's I suppose. If they break, chuck them away.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3