Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Top box security, have you ever lost your box?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Top box security, have you ever lost your box? Reply with quote

As i was fitting my first top box i was surprised that the plate is plastic only? (Givi monokey)

I thought the fitting instructions would involve screwing through the plastic into the bike rack?

with a metal 58 ltr box on it i cant say im super confident, specially since it has a back rest that my wife will lean on too?
shes only small but still, under quick acceleration etc.

Has anyone ever had a box come off while on a ride?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a maximum weight recommendation. Google the name of your box and it shouldn't take long to find.

Didn't use the one on my CBF1000 too much, but based on that no.

Anything overly heavy is best spread out between the panniers or on the pillion seat (of course not very helpful given use of pillion here).

Don't forget pre-load and tyre pressures for the increased weight. Thumbs Up

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a givi monokey top box. As there wasn't a standard fitting kit for my bike I went for the aluminium monokey plate and bolted it to the rack.
I agree the plastic ones don't inspire huge levels of confidence, but they do seem to work, however there are aluminium ones a available.
All top boxes seem to have a ridiculously low weight rating to the point that it's unusual to see one that isn't overloaded. Try not to overload it, and then try not to worry about it.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back some forum members might recall an ill-fated trip from London to the BCFBBQ in Wales...

A (badly maintained) SV650 which I'd lent to one of our group burst into flames on the M4.

I was already carrying the best part of two people's luggage on my bike (A Diversion 900). Plus a huge PA/speaker. We then loaded all of the luggage from the SV650, plus the rider as my pillion.

Imagine it... A rider and pillion, 3 peoples luggage for a weekend camping, and an enormous speaker... I reckon my poor bike was carrying 300-350kg on it, the boxes were stacked 2 feet high, the whole rack was probably carrying the best part of 70kg.

It was a truly ridiculous spectacle, but, nothing broke or bent, nothing came off, all was well.

I'll see if I can dig up a photograph.

Obviously I don't recommend taking it that far, but, in my experience the maximum specifications are pessimistic to say the least.

I have had a top box come off because it wasn't latched on properly, so, don't do that Laughing

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:02 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the top box plate is fixed on well.

The 3 lugs that hold the case on though are just plastic, which is the bit that you would expect to be metal.

In fact, i had to attach a metal plate on the bike first for the plastic to fit onto, why didn't Givi design it, so part of the metal came up through the plastic for the box to click into

Sounds obvious to me Rolling Eyes

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:22 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
A few years back some forum members might recall an ill-fated trip from London to the BCFBBQ in Wales...

A (badly maintained) SV650 which I'd lent to one of our group burst into flames on the M4.

To be fair I'd be more interested in learning about the bike bursting into flames Laughing
My friend stopped borrowing my bike when I said i did me own maintenance Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found carrying anything heavier than a pair of knickers and a toothbrush in a top-box used to make the front end go dangerously light. For touring I much preferred a rack with a barrel-bag strapped on so part of the weight was on the tailpiece, or even better on the seat...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I always found carrying anything heavier than a pair of knickers and a toothbrush in a top-box...

Do you often switch between Paul and Pauline personas?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I always found carrying anything heavier than a pair of knickers and a toothbrush in a top-box...

Do you often switch between Paul and Pauline personas?

Depends who's asking, duckie! Laughing

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find myself looking in the mirror to see if topbox is still there quite often, particularly after a burst of acceleration. Whistle

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:21 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly standard thing to do is drill a security bolt through the bottom, rubber washer to stop water ingress. Split pin or similar solution works fine. Just a little bit of extra protection as the plastic lugs dont last forever.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
c_dug wrote:

To be fair I'd be more interested in learning about the bike bursting into flames Laughing

I'd got the SV free from a friend of a friend who moved to Germany, so I didn't really know much about it. I'd ridden it a couple of times but I had another bike so it mostly just sat there outside for about a year or so.

Anyway, the headlight was playing up and I never really thought much of it as I only used it in the day time. I still don't really understand the how or why of this, but according to a forum member who's opinion I trust, the headlight issue caused the reg/rec to fry itself, quite dramatically!

It did it as we were pulling out of a service station where the guy I'd lent the bike to had consumed an entire steak, raw, out of a clear ziplock bag, but that's another story.

From memory he tore around a roundabout and wheelied up the sliproad onto the motorway, completely unaware that the bike was billowing smoke from it's side for about quarter of a mile before we managed to flag him down.

The story just gets weirder from there as the bike was picked up by a passing stranger with a tail lift, who ended up coming camping with us, declared himself to be a recovering alcoholic, then spent the weekend getting shitfaced on cans of larger and generally being a little bit offensive.

The stranger did end up joining the forum for a little while afterwards too.

Fun times Laughing

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:10 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
declared himself to be a recovering alcoholic, then spent the weekend getting shitfaced on cans of larger and generally being a little bit offensive.

Sound to me like his recovery is ongoing haha Very Happy

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Fun times Laughing

Thanks for the story Very Happy

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:18 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually lost one yet but I've come very close a couple of times, both times the top of the "loop" at the front of the base broke off and let the box very nearly wiggle free. Both times it happened quite soon after fitting the box, the cheap Tech7 ones are the worst. The second one almost splattered itself all over the M1..!

Givi bases seem okay, in fact I have a knock off version where the base plate is made of steel that cracked quite badly - plastic may actually be a better material for it. Krauser bases are good too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1