Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBikes are dangerous!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: eBikes are dangerous! Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53713971

BBC News wrote:
Simon Cowell breaks back falling from electric bike

Crying or Very sad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not made clear if it was an assisted bicycle style or a serious electric bike.
Probably not a proper bike style or the report wouldn't even have mentioned the e part Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4895726/Simon-Cowell-joins-Lauren-Silverman-Eric-bike-ride.html

He may have been riding an M1 Spitzing Plus:

https://www.m1-sporttechnik.de/en/das-spitzing-plus/das-spitzing-plus-s-pedelec/

...which is a 500W mid-drive eBike. That's more than you could legally ride in the UK but quite tame by US standards. Still enough to "yeet yourself into the sun" as Yammie Noob would say Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:50 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

What a shame.

Never mind.

He deserves it for ruining music over the last 20 years.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my heart of hearts I wish bicycles would be banned from the streets unless Tour De France or the Milk race or someother sporting cycling event.

If you want to cycle get in the blooming Gymn out of the way of bikers. In fact cagers are even sick of you

Cyclists deserve to take flak for their antics and arrogance among a lot of cyclists make me want to run them over. Sorry cyclists

Can hardly see the screen, to many whiskies just for a change.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
In my heart of hearts I wish bicycles would be banned from the streets unless Tour De France or the Milk race or someother sporting cycling event.

If you want to cycle get in the blooming Gymn out of the way of bikers. In fact cagers are even sick of you

Cyclists deserve to take flak for their antics and arrogance among a lot of cyclists make me want to run them over. Sorry cyclists

Can hardly see the screen, to many whiskies just for a change.

Along the main road near my town there's a few feet dedicated to cyclists...

at the side of the road...

with a lines and a picture of a bicycle...

like their own private road...

just for them...

which they don't use...

they use the "car" bit of the road, aaaargggghhhh Shocked

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Judging from this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4895726/Simon-Cowell-joins-Lauren-Silverman-Eric-bike-ride.html

He may have been riding an M1 Spitzing Plus:

https://www.m1-sporttechnik.de/en/das-spitzing-plus/das-spitzing-plus-s-pedelec/

...which is a 500W mid-drive eBike. That's more than you could legally ride in the UK but quite tame by US standards. Still enough to "yeet yourself into the sun" as Yammie Noob would say Smile

500W is a lot on a bicycle. Unreachable for even the trained human cyclists. Most of the cyclists, even profesionaly trained, can do about 300W for a very short amout of time (like less than 10 minutes). Mostly being around 120W when just riding around at moderately faster pace. Sure, people with horse sized legs can do more than that, but those are not who buy ebikes and once again, they can only do this in short bursts. I can fully understand why the law makers made limits for what an e-bike can do.

Google: British cyclist Bradley Wiggins, who, in 2015, pedaled 54.526 kilometers (33.881 miles) to set the current men's record, is estimated to have averaged 440 watts. Thinking

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:57 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
500W is a lot on a bicycle.

https://www.haibike.com/nl/en/ebikes/emountainbikes/all-mountain/xduro-allmtn-100-nl919?id=4541072941

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemL_XVZ08M&list=PLE_YnjWgQuko340OfMfnIr6lFLktyYvpK&index=3

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

That's not a bicycle, that's an MX moped! Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:28 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an electric motocross bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2XfjLfVRXU

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
500W is a lot on a bicycle...

Not really. Unrestricted it might get you to ~25mph at most and plenty of racers can manage that.

From my own experience 1500W is where it starts getting stupid: all the power of a 50cc moped but much less weight. That's when you start to see the limitations of push-bike frame geometry vs. actual motorbikes.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately electric vehicles are the future. So if you want to be sensible and green get yourself a ZZR1400 while you still can.

My mate Mike, poor fellow, has an electric bike. It goes way to fast as he had it apparently uprated and illegal. He has fallen of it three times. Once in my yard on the stone chips, apparently a nightmare for electric bikes, and and twice on the dodgy at the best of times road on the way home after drinking remarkably high amounts of bevvy. I'll stick to motorcycles and magic mushrooms.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
500W is a lot on a bicycle...

Not really. Unrestricted it might get you to ~25mph at most and plenty of racers can manage that.

From my own experience 1500W is where it starts getting stupid: all the power of a 50cc moped but much less weight. That's when you start to see the limitations of push-bike frame geometry vs. actual motorbikes.

Average trained rider could do 200-250W per hour and that's it (I could do 220W per 30 minutes at my cardiologist on her stationary bike, no shoes though, crappy seat, etc.; this was before I got a road bike and found joy in riding a lot EDIT: Thinking of it, the load got worse every 5 minutes or so Thinking ). 500W electric motor adding to that will definitely turn you into the ''above pro'' category, with 700-750W per hour mark, there's also crap loads of torque comming out of those electric engines. That's why I say 500W is a lot on a bike. 1.5kW is stupid amount of power for a bicycle.

I mean, a seasoned motorcyclist could handle 1.5kW bicycle, realising all the risks involved and what not to do on such bike, but for a complete novice it could, and many times does, end up in the hospital.

All that if the speed limiter was removed, of course. Imagine going downhill and having extra 500W (1.5kW) to spare. Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:47 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I mean, a seasoned motorcyclist could handle 1.5kW bicycle, realising all the risks involved and what not to do on such bike, but for a complete novice it could, and many times does, end up in the hospital.

Well yes, pretty much why I gave them up Smile

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:19 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with better ebikes apart from the crap brakes and riding position on most bicycles?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:06 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
What's the problem with better ebikes apart from the crap brakes and riding position on most bicycles?

Over the years I've see improvements in hub motors, mid-drive motors have got smaller and big manufacturers are integrating them into the frame where the bottom bracket would go. Similarly batteries: better cases/shapes/frame-integration. And yes, you might fit tyres rated for 80kph and upgraded to hydraulic disk brakes but...

Fundamentally they're still push-bikes; the geometry hasn't changed Sad

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 750w mid-drive kit on an Orange hardtail and it's been absolutely cracking.

I'd have put on a legal one, but I tried a 250w kit and they're not even close to handling the hills around here, and 750w is only 1hp. Somewhere flatter I'd be happy with 250w, I never go over 15-20mph except downhill anyway.

For exploring the mountains and pootling round my hilly town what I've got is perfect. I think more than 750w you'd start seeing serious issues with the frame flexing etc. on a normal bike frame.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:26 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
the geometry hasn't changed Sad

Over the last five to ten years, geometry on pushbikes has changed significantly. Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
the geometry hasn't changed Sad

Over the last five to ten years, geometry on pushbikes has changed significantly. Razz

And not only that, the technology also advanced significantly. Manufacturers these days make much more stiffer and lighter frames than they ever could before.

By the way, the UCI (road bike racing) even made a rule on minimum weight about at the time bikes got ligher but with compromised rigidy (manufacturers were just putting ''thiner frame tubes'' on their bikes, back then), because the materials were there (carbon, titanium, aluminium alloys) but the technology (''shape'' and computer assisted desing and testing) was still not there yet. All the UCI complient bikes are at least 6.8kg or more. Could they make a safe 5kg bike? Yes they can. Speaking of having the materials but not knowing what to do with them, look at automotive industry and racing. They still use the same materials, but much more efficiently/smarter. Bicycle world is the same.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1