Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cooker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any problems with mice and rats in my house. I dunno whether they can smell "great effing big cat" and stay away Thinking
(There are rodents about as the cat has caught plenty, not so many this year.)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:09 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
It's only when you look closer you see the faults.

They're things which should have been noticed by the surveyor when the mortgage company lent the funds for buying the house.

For example, when the surveyor saw the consumer unit, I'd very much expect them to have said that it needs looking at by an electrician because of the age of the consumer unit and the lack of rings.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
My concern is 5amp round pin plugs were often on the lighting circuit not the socket ring.

Oh it could be even better than that. Laughing

Round pin plugs were common in the 50s and 60s and could be rated at 15A. They were usually associated with rubber sleeved twin and earth - the insulation (both wire and overall) of which by now would have lost all of its plasticity and would crumble at a touch.

I'm not saying that's the case but... Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
King29 wrote:
It's only when you look closer you see the faults.

They're things which should have been noticed by the surveyor when the mortgage company lent the funds for buying the house.

For example, when the surveyor saw the consumer unit, I'd very much expect them to have said that it needs looking at by an electrician because of the age of the consumer unit and the lack of rings.

You don't have to have ring finals - radials are fine as long as the cabling is adequately rated for the anticipated load (usually 4mm2). Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
sickpup wrote:
My concern is 5amp round pin plugs were often on the lighting circuit not the socket ring.

Oh it could be even better than that. Laughing

Round pin plugs were common in the 50s and 60s and could be rated at 15A. They were usually associated with rubber sleeved twin and earth - the insulation (both wire and overall) of which by now would have lost all of its plasticity and would crumble at a touch.

I'm not saying that's the case but... Laughing

I'd say if anything it's likely to be the case. Awful stuff, although I guess they didn't know the shortcomings at the time they developed it.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can see on the wiring insulation is ‘Alcan b’

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubber insulated wiring is black - that's the usual giveaway, as opposed to the grey twin & earth

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black on outside, where it has fell to bits I see 3 wires. 1 black 1 brown and 1 naked copper? wire.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
rubber insulated wiring is black - that's the usual giveaway
King29 wrote:
Black on outside, where it has fell to bits

Yeah that would be the other giveaway Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 14:52 - 21 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Black on outside, where it has fell to bits I see 3 wires. 1 black 1 brown and 1 naked copper? wire.

Ffs call an electrician before your house burns down.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
King29 wrote:

Ffs call an electrician before your house burns down.

He won't have a rat problem if that happens! Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Those wires are from the 60's. Immediate rewire is the usual advice.
If you don't want your oven to overload the system, fit a suitably rated breaker, with wiring to match. You can terminate the cable with an outlet designed for cookers with a three pin outlet incorporated so that you can plug your gas/leccy cooker straight in using the plug it comes supplied with.
If an oven doesn't come with a plug there's good reason....

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oven all installed. Looks good, works well. The house wiring is fucked, had a sparky come over last night told me it'd take his company 7 days and cost me £3800. I'm sure he plucked that figure out of his arse. I'm not even sure you have have to be a qualified sparky to do this. There are plenty of YouTube videos. Sod it I'm having a go myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJcwq_g38h4

https://i.imgur.com/1p8KvLf.jpg

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're trolling. Have you not got enough problems without fucking up your house? Be safe dude.

[/b]

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
I hope you're trolling. Have you not got enough problems without fucking up your house? Be safe dude.

No. I'm not inept. I have YouTube. As far as I can make out, you can do the work yourself and just get a qualified electrician to sign it off. Seriously, wife has been made redundant, she was the main breadwinner, Universal Credit say they can't pay her anything as I earn over the threshold. I don't have £3800. We don't have £3800, her parents are loaded but they never liked me and it's the embarrassment of going cap in hand to them. It's going to be "You should have married that nice Doctor he was going places, not that useless specimen you're married to now". I hate both her parents.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Sod it I'm having a go myself.

What could possibly go wrong?

please keep this thread updated Pass the popcorn

Some things best left to the experts!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:21 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to some electricians to find one who's happy for you to do most of the work and for them connect everything up and then sign it off.

Wanting to do as much as possible yourself is perfectly reasonable and understandable however before starting, you need to have found an electrician who's happy to work with you on that basis. You don't want to do lots of it yourself and then end up having to pay someone to do it all again because they're not willing to sign off stuff that they didn't do from start to finish.

You might be able to find a grant that you're eligible for that would cover the cost of having it rewired properly.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/housing-and-energy-grants/#repair
https://www.grantsexpert.co.uk/grants-for-property-repairs-maintenance.html
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/moving-and-improving-your-home/help-with-home-improvements/

Thumbs Up

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20200821-wa0000.jpeg

Even that doesnt comply with the latest Regs now.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:57 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Its 15 years old.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us a heads up on your general area and someone may know a sparks happy to sign off someone else's work.
I've a bro in the Droitwich area who would possibly sign off if he wired up the terminal ends, running the cables is the pricey bit and, as Ste says, I'd be surprised if many sparks would sign off without having done any work.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You don't want to do lots of it yourself and then end up having to pay someone to do it all again because they're not willing to sign off stuff that they didn't do from start to finish.

This. So this.
It's likely to be hard to find someone. The question would be, why would a qualified sparks want to take the risk? At the very least you'd need to be able to show the full lengths of all the cable runs uncovered. But there are numerous pitfalls where you could screw things up.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It’s almost impossible to ever comply with the regs for more than a very short time after install as they change so frequently.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ste wrote:
You don't want to do lots of it yourself and then end up having to pay someone to do it all again because they're not willing to sign off stuff that they didn't do from start to finish.

This. So this.
It's likely to be hard to find someone. The question would be, why would a qualified sparks want to take the risk? At the very least you'd need to be able to show the full lengths of all the cable runs uncovered. But there are numerous pitfalls where you could screw things up.

It's not uncommon, they'll take resistance measurements with a high voltage multimeter (Megger) rather than looking at the insulation by eye. Not all electricians just work on their own freshly installed stuff, they're always tidying up other peoples mess on older houses.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
I don't have £3800. We don't have £3800, her parents are loaded but they never liked me and it's the embarrassment of going cap in hand to them.

Better for her to ask to borrow money with an interest rate than for you to have to tell them their little precious is dead in a house fire.

Problem you have is you aren't having a standard bog stock rewire, you are having to jump some 50+ years in standards and requirements.

You do need to have the work inspected as per part p iirc as everything is going to be a new circuit. You also need to plan for what you need now as well as a degree of future proofing.
You are going to have the first floor floors taken up, new cable ways chased into the walls, the kitchen units will have to come out and it is going to be a huge job.

You will need separate circuits for the kitchen sockets, smoke alarms, upstairs sockets, downstairs sockets, upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits which may be combined, cooker, immersion heater, Shower, outside lights and power for the garden. So thats 11 possible circuits so far.
Not sure on current standards, you might be able to combine certain circuits such as smoke alarms and lighting but why bother if you're getting it all done.

You will likely also need your input raised, considering the state of your wiring you may have as low as a 30amp input, ideally you need to looking at 80 or 100 amps and this is work you definitely can't do yourself.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The question would be, why would a qualified sparks want to take the risk? At the very least you'd need to be able to show the full lengths of all the cable runs uncovered. But there are numerous pitfalls where you could screw things up.

It's not uncommon, they'll take resistance measurements with a high voltage multimeter (Megger) rather than looking at the insulation by eye. Not all electricians just work on their own freshly installed stuff, they're always tidying up other peoples mess on older houses.

That's a completely different thing to signing off a complete, new installation as safe and correctly carried out (which is what the OP needs). Resistance measurements can't detect dangerous stuff like exposed wires, poorly connected terminals, cables not buried deep enough in walls or under floorboards; diagonal cable runs, and any number of dangerous wiring configurations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4