Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cooker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont matter what circuit its on if Ratty starts chewing through the wires.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Yes, like I said in post #2:

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
if the manufacturer says an oven needs to be hard-wired, then that's what you have to do. It's not simply a case of them not having bothered to fit a 13A plug. You'd be much better off looking for an oven which does come with a 13A plug - why wouldn't you? There are loads of them available

So just buy the Bush then... Rolling Eyes

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, ordered online, delivery by the weekend.

Thanks all.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Hums Dr. Pepper tune>

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFs if it's only rated at 2.2kw why would it need 30 amp supply . What it is calling for in the specs is a 13A fused spur , so a fixed 13A supply rather than a plug and socket.
Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white-with-colour-matched-inserts/13479 for crying out loud they are only a fiver.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
FFs if it's only rated at 2.2kw why would it need 30 amp supply . What it is calling for in the specs is a 13A fused spur , so a fixed 13A supply rather than a plug and socket.
Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white-with-colour-matched-inserts/13479 for crying out loud they are only a fiver.

It's a double socket though. So the above wont work.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
FFs if it's only rated at 2.2kw why would it need 30 amp supply...

Consider: we're talking about a particularly lucky individual when it comes to household repairs Wink

But seriously though it's not so much the cooker that worries me but the fact there only seems to be one ring on the consumer unit. The cooker has to co-exist with everything else plugged into the house.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consumer unit setup does seem inadequate. Mine isn't the best unit but it does have a separate MCB for the kitchen circuit plus another for the electric hob. The oven does plug into a wall socket, and draws less than 30A.

Have some relaxing beats to chill to for when you're fitting new the oven.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jausD8qsnKU

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
steve the grease wrote:

It's a double socket though. So the above wont work.

Personally I wouldn't spur it off or even connect it to the ring as someone will run a kettle, microwave and the oven at the same time and blow the breaker.

King29 you really shouldn't be commenting on spurs when you don't know what they are.

Just get another circuit fitted for safeties sake. Yes it will work off a 13 amp socket but with only one ring you may well overload the breaker.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:45 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an outside toilet and gas lamps?

It must be like living in a 1930s miners back to back in your place. During 1930.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It must be like living in a 1930s miners back to back in your place. During 1930.

No. All the upstairs sockets were round pin when we bought the house. We don't have an outside loo, no gas lamps.

What's it likely to cost to get another circuit fitted?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
No. All the upstairs sockets were round pin when we bought the house. ?

Have you ever had an electrician check your wiring out? I wouldn't be surprised to find out you had a 16amp ring with a 32amp breaker.

You really need to look at getting a rewire.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No. All the upstairs sockets were round pin when we bought the house. We don't have an outside loo, no gas lamps.

Not that bad, but It'll be what else he finds when he starts testing Wink
He'll presumably want to update your consumer unit and fit extra RCDs.
About 80 quid for the unit, 2.5mm t&e cable isn't expensive it'll be the labour on top.

You can chase out channels for extra sockets, lift floorboards to save him a bit of work to keep costs lower.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Have you ever had an electrician check your wiring out? I wouldn't be surprised to find out you had a 16amp ring with a 32amp breaker.

You really need to look at getting a rewire.

No. The upstairs lights flicker on and off on their own sometimes. Sort of in low power mode.

Yeah, I might put an ad on Facebook.

Wanted. Sparky to fit cooker point and sort out other stuff. Cash waiting.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is 5amp round pin plugs were often on the lighting circuit not the socket ring.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:43 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

It somewhat sounds like the whole house needs rewiring and multiple extra rings adding.

It also sounds like a situation where an above board electrician who does everything properly will not be willing to just fit a cooker point or just add a ring for the cooker point.

The "sort other stuff" is a lot more work compared to fitting a cooker point. Neutral

When you get some electricians to have a look and give you some quotes, for the lulz be sure to show them the small army of rats your neighbour is amassing and ask if they've got any advice about that. Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

When you get some electricians to have a look and give you some quotes, for the lulz be sure to show them the small army of rats your neighbour is amassing and ask if they've got any advice about that. Laughing

They are in our house. Actually in our house. One bold as brass poked it's head out behind the sofa as if to say "alright geezer" then scurried off behind the sofa. I was watching telly the other night and one shot out from underneath the tv stand. What he was doing under there I don't know, the wife was out so I never mentioned it. I honestly just don't give a fook anymore, I have come to realise this is my lot in life. We have a small chest freezer in a spare room and a main fridge freezer in the kitchen. Behind the small fridge freezer it's like the rats have been shredding polystyrene, I wrongfully assumed it was them attacking the freezer to get at the food. It appears they are pulling insulation out of the wall between houses.

Any cables ran under floorboards are just going to be chewed to buggery.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Ste wrote:

They are in our house. Actually in our house. One bold as brass poked it's head out behind the sofa as if to say "alright geezer" then scurried off behind the sofa. I was watching telly the other night and one shot out from underneath the tv stand. What he was doing under there I don't know, the wife was out so I never mentioned it. I honestly just don't give a fook anymore, I have come to realise this is my lot in life. We have a small chest freezer in a spare room and a main fridge freezer in the kitchen. Behind the small fridge freezer it's like the rats have been shredding polystyrene, I wrongfully assumed it was them attacking the freezer to get at the food. It appears they are pulling insulation out of the wall between houses.

Your life is descending into a Hammer House of Horrors special. When you open the fridge and the rat inside hands you a jar and politely asks you to take the lid off, please get that on video.

There are ways of getting rid of them, aside from being really fucking good on a flute.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Fucks sake. How do you and your wife cope with it. I'd have moved out and got Rentakill or similsr in. Or buy a really feisty Jack Russel or as a last resort...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gJe7fY-yowk/maxresdefault.jpg

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow move house. You are living in a slum, infact I've been to slums that probably had far less rats and more modern electrics.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Somehow move house. You are living in a slum, infact I've been to slums that probably had far less rats and more modern electrics.

It's not a slum though, on first quick viewing you'd think what a nice house. It's only when you look closer you see the faults.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the photos and other comments, my guess is the wiring on that house is either ancient (and they've stuck a consumer unit on to make it appear more modern, but you've got rubber sheath cables or other mess hidden behind the scenes) or it's been "rewired" to the absolute bare minimum to provide power to the lights/sockets (but without actually meeting electrical regs).

To give an idea of how wrong that consumer unit looks, my 2 bed terrace had something like 10 circuits on it I think;

Lights upstairs
Lights downstairs
Lights cellar
Sockets upstairs
Sockets downstairs
Sockets cellar
Cooker
Boiler
Outside lights
Smoke alarms (they were mains powered on this property)
Main supply

Picture this; if something goes pop with the setup I had, I still will have power to other things in the room, so if the ceiling light goes at it's night, I still have lamps I can turn on. If the wife's hairdryer decides to spit flames and pops, we still have lights so can see what we're doing . . .

What you should do is get an electrician in to survey the electrics; they'll work out the loads, what rings/circuits you need and ascertain the condition of the wiring if they can get access (underfloor void? floorboards lift in upstairs?). Honestly, electrics cause so many problems, not just the inconvenience of the circuit breakers tripping, but overheating wires and fires. Insurance companies will doubtless take a very dim view if following a fire (and a claim) the wiring was substandard. Do you have adjoining neighbours? If they claimed following a fire on your property the insurers may well come after you too.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:23 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
It's not a slum though, on first quick viewing you'd think what a nice house. It's only when you look closer you see the faults.

You've got rats living with you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I dislike cats, isn't that a pretty simple solution to rats ?

Or are these rats the big fella's, that seem to morph around fast food outlets in London ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20200821-wa0000.jpeg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4