Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DAS for an older newbie - different setup than cars?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:09 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: DAS for an older newbie - different setup than cars? Reply with quote

Hi all

Newbie to the forums, doing some research prior to possibly getting myself on two wheels. I'm 38 and have been driving since I was 25, did a CBT back when I was 19 (twist and go) and had a T&G for a few years after. Never learned to drive until mid-twenties as it was an expense I didn't need (and I could fill the tank on the Piaggio for £3.50!).

Anyway, I've been reading up about the DAS, plenty of great posts on here so already feel more clued up than I was. It seems from what I've read that this is a much more trusted route than the comparison with a 4 wheel intensive course. I remember being told that they were a waste of time and to stick with lessons until the instructor felt you were ready for the test. So I guess I'm just asking is the DAS as good an option as it sounds? It seems that for roughly £1200 I could book with a local firm, they'd sort CBT, training & 2 of both tests, and be flexible with the program.

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with a full licence and get a cruiser, something simple to begin with like a Honda Rebel or Yammy Bolt. My father-in-law has an 80's era HD Sportster and it'd be nice to get out with him for a spin round the Dales & peaks nearby.

Any and all advice welcome, thanks in advance!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear and avoid any confusion, DAS (Direct Access) is not the type of course (i.e. intensive), it's the type of licence you will end up with at the end (i.e. a full one where you can ride anything).

You definitely want to do a DAS course, given that your age allows it, as it means there will be no restrictions on the bike you can legally ride at the end of it.

However, you can do the DAS training intensively, as you've outlined, or you can do it in a more traditional style, where you have lessons until you/your instructor feel you're ready for the tests.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thumbs Up

DAS is great. It's the right thing to do, for sure, in your circumstances.

You've already been on a bike before, so you know you 'like it' so to speak, which is always the big worry as some people spank a load of cash on the course then find they just don't get on with motorcycling when they do their CBT, and then chuck in the towel. You don't have that concern.

Cost wise £1200 seems lumpy TBH, so you might want to have a look around. Notwithstanding, look at reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations as they're both important. Some schools are better than others and at the end of the day you're paying for the training, not the licence, so make sure you get the best training you can within the scope of your area / budget.

Bikes - well, you say a Rebel now, but I'd say keep an open mind and concentrate on the bike you're training on; what you like about it and dislike about it, and then make decisions based on that experience. I would also warn against going off and buying a bike before you've even done your tests - keep your powder dry and get the licence out the way first.

Good luck Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, wise words.

I certainly won't be buying anything before I pass. I did consider getting a 125 or something to 'practice' on, but read plenty of threads on here that advised against it for people with road sense and who were going to do a DAS. That said, I'm guessing the old adage about your first being a cheaper option in case you ding it ringing true for bikes as well as cars?

That price was from a local firm, Tommy Bee's. Gets great Google reviews, but i'd be looking at getting some word of mouth or pop a post on here for to see if anybody in my neck of the woods had a recommendation.

@Zen Dog, thanks for the clarification. I'd wrongly understood that it was an intensive type course, I'm much happier knowing it's not time-specific. I'd rather learn right than learn quick.

arry wrote:
Hi Thumbs Up

DAS is great. It's the right thing to do, for sure, in your circumstances.

You've already been on a bike before, so you know you 'like it' so to speak, which is always the big worry as some people spank a load of cash on the course then find they just don't get on with motorcycling when they do their CBT, and then chuck in the towel. You don't have that concern.

Cost wise £1200 seems lumpy TBH, so you might want to have a look around. Notwithstanding, look at reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations as they're both important. Some schools are better than others and at the end of the day you're paying for the training, not the licence, so make sure you get the best training you can within the scope of your area / budget.

Bikes - well, you say a Rebel now, but I'd say keep an open mind and concentrate on the bike you're training on; what you like about it and dislike about it, and then make decisions based on that experience. I would also warn against going off and buying a bike before you've even done your tests - keep your powder dry and get the licence out the way first.

Good luck Smile

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:
I'm guessing the old adage about your first being a cheaper option in case you ding it ringing true for bikes as well as cars?

Even more so, if anything. You will almost certainly drop your first big bike at some point. Usually wheeling it round in the garage, or putting your foot down in gravel in a layby or something equally daft. We've all done it.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:21 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
gravel

guilty as charged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:23 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on that basis, and sticking with the cruiser type (I'm a short-arse at 5'7), what would you look to use as a first bike? I know there's a smller single Rebel. I read on another post that whatever your first bike, stick with it until you feel like you've completely mastered it, even if that means it depreciates to the point of worthlessness because it'll pay dividends for your post-pass experience.

Zen Dog wrote:
Charmwah wrote:
I'm guessing the old adage about your first being a cheaper option in case you ding it ringing true for bikes as well as cars?

Even more so, if anything. You will almost certainly drop your first big bike at some point. Usually wheeling it round in the garage, or putting your foot down in gravel in a layby or something equally daft. We've all done it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a cruiser - I think you'll be able to get both feet down on most bikes, except adventure bikes and some enduros. The average height of the Japanese male is 5' 2, says Google. For the majority of bike manufacturers, the Asian market for their products is much larger than Europe.

Here, try playing with different bikes and your height and inner leg on this website:

https://cycle-ergo.com/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:
So on that basis, and sticking with the cruiser type (I'm a short-arse at 5'7), what would you look to use as a first bike?

Honestly, I'd wait til you've sat on a modern 650 middleweight (although that term is laughable these days unfortunately) commuter / all rounder that the training school will use and go from there. Stick a list together of all the things you liked and disliked about it, then use that experience to scope where you go testing / trialling.

Charmwah wrote:
I know there's a smller single Rebel. I read on another post that whatever your first bike, stick with it until you feel like you've completely mastered it, even if that means it depreciates to the point of worthlessness because it'll pay dividends for your post-pass experience.

Not sure I'd agree with that logic TBH. You're on a bike for fun. If the bike you're on isn't fun or isn't fun enough because you're not comfortable with it, then chop it in and get something else. I spent over 4 years on a Triumph Sprint and 3 years of that were a complete mistake - I'd fallen out of love with it and consequently didn't ride it very much at all. What good is that? It's more of a waste of money and time than chopping it in and starting again.

If you're not hard up for cash then don't fret it. If you're hard up for cash then yeah, maybe make do and stick with it - but I wouldn't be shy to pull the plug on something you're not getting on with. But then a lot of that comes down to making an informed choice in the first place and that means see above advice Thumbs Up

Happy perusing Smile

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:
That price was from a local firm, Tommy Bee's. Gets great Google reviews, but i'd be looking at getting some word of mouth or pop a post on here for to see if anybody in my neck of the woods had a recommendation.

What i did when i was looking into which training school to use, was to join a few local Facebook biker groups, and ask for their recommendations, you will get much more localised knowledge that way

And just to reiterate what was said earlier, DAS in not necessarily an intensive course

I went the DAS route at a similar age to yourself, and the school i used was very flexible, i think i ended up having around 1 or lessons on the pad (slow speed stuff) and around 8 or 9 lessons on the road, ranging from 1 to 1.5 hours each, but spread out over several weeks, mostly evening after work and weekends

I found it gave me time to absorb the information i was being given, without putting on too much pressure to perform day after day, or even for a full days training, i think that would have exhausted me

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:07 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love forums and being able to ask people with firsthand knowledge. Great suggestions in both cases. The post about sticking with the first bike I thought was perhaps dubious, though I could only draw other common-sense comparisons to dispute it.

And @ Bhud, thanks for the link, handy little tool that!

arry wrote:
Charmwah wrote:
So on that basis, and sticking with the cruiser type (I'm a short-arse at 5'7), what would you look to use as a first bike?

Honestly, I'd wait til you've sat on a modern 650 middleweight (although that term is laughable these days unfortunately) commuter / all rounder that the training school will use and go from there. Stick a list together of all the things you liked and disliked about it, then use that experience to scope where you go testing / trialling.

Charmwah wrote:
I know there's a smller single Rebel. I read on another post that whatever your first bike, stick with it until you feel like you've completely mastered it, even if that means it depreciates to the point of worthlessness because it'll pay dividends for your post-pass experience.

Not sure I'd agree with that logic TBH. You're on a bike for fun. If the bike you're on isn't fun or isn't fun enough because you're not comfortable with it, then chop it in and get something else. I spent over 4 years on a Triumph Sprint and 3 years of that were a complete mistake - I'd fallen out of love with it and consequently didn't ride it very much at all. What good is that? It's more of a waste of money and time than chopping it in and starting again.

If you're not hard up for cash then don't fret it. If you're hard up for cash then yeah, maybe make do and stick with it - but I wouldn't be shy to pull the plug on something you're not getting on with. But then a lot of that comes down to making an informed choice in the first place and that means see above advice Thumbs Up

Happy perusing Smile

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:

Can't really add a lot to what Bhud and arry have said, it's all sound advice. I'm not really into cruisers (can't squeeze into the arseless chaps, and I've got tasslephobia) but anything you can get both feet flat on the floor is probably a good idea as a first bike. That will include pretty much all cruisers, but also a lot of non-cruisers.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most mid capacity and upward bikes you are never going to, "master". If you think you are utilising the bike 100% of it's ability then either, the bike is really shit, you are delusionaly arrogant or you are a professional road racer.

If your aim is to try to "master" aspects of riding don't buy a cruiser. You will never learn to go fast or corner properly. Geometry of the bike type and power/weight has decided that for you.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Most mid capacity and upward bikes you are never going to, "master". If you think you are utilising the bike 100% of it's ability then either, the bike is really shit, you are delusionaly arrogant or you are a professional road racer.

If your aim is to try to "master" aspects of riding don't buy a cruiser. You will never learn to go fast or corner properly. Geometry of the bike type and power/weight has decided that for you.

I'd agree in both sentiments there. Although I was just reading up on the Rebel and it's apparently more an urban bike than an outright cruiser and 'handles better than its raked out appearance suggests' according to MCN. However, they also say that the ignition lock being archaic in that it's set on the forks is dangerous for new riders that can start the bike, clunk it into gear and set off with the steering lock still on, so you know - what can you do? Rolling EyesLaughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MCN.

It's not just them anymore, I find the entire biking press dire. No genuinely critical reviewing because then they won't get press bikes, everything mainstream is a great purchase with a couple of niggly pointless faults listed as negatives and anything non-mainstream is instantly panned (probably to make up for the lack of real criticism on the rest) other than Norton who were Gods gift right up until it crashed down. I actually wonder sometimes do they even ride the bikes or are half the articles written off marketing releases from the manufacturers.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
It's not just them anymore, I find the entire biking press dire. No genuinely critical reviewing because then they won't get press bikes, everything mainstream is a great purchase with a couple of niggly pointless faults listed as negatives and anything non-mainstream is instantly panned (probably to make up for the lack of real criticism on the rest) other than Norton who were Gods gift right up until it crashed down. I actually wonder sometimes do they even ride the bikes or are half the articles written off marketing releases from the manufacturers.

Totally agree. This article makes a few interesting observations:

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/skidmarks-you-cant-spell-motorcycle-without-an-m-and-an-e.html

I think it's gravitated to Youtube now, though. I'm biding my time until the rest of the world has cottoned on, retrospectively, that motorbikes (and everything to do with them) on Youtube were either a part of the Great War of the Narcissists of the 2020s, or a retrospective marketing stroke of genius on the level of cigarettes being sold as medicine for a cough, where nobody noticed that the purveyors weren't actually doctors (or brothers, or friends) but were, in fact, just old-school salesmen with old-school smarm. A time will also come when a rich kid will bop around the world on an electric space hopper, and be acclaimed for not being the first, but for their monumental courage in setting up a tent in the Sahara, or something. Same old tricks will always go around.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
arry wrote:
MCN.

I have to say it, Bennett's do some good articles. I don't mind them so much. But yeah, MCN.....

Where to start. The last review I read of theirs with a view to actually buying one was the Fantic Caballero. They're massively over-positive about it to the point I began to think there was something amiss. I researched it and found the engine is basically Chinese and they'd reviewed it highly saying it was great then thought - hmm, I wonder what else this engine is in? And lo and behold found it in something else and in their review of that a few years beforehand they gave it a big thumbs down.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
But yeah, MCN.....

I don't put any stock in their bike reviews, but I have found the user reviews that go along with them quite useful. Between the people saying it's the greatest bike ever and the people saying it's the worst POS they've ever laid a leather clad finger on, I think you get a pretty good overall impression.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need only look at BMW owners and their honest reviews of the problems they've had, against the backdrop of MCN's reliability and build quality rating Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Ninja 650 or CBR650R would be decent first bike. I'm 5ft 71/2" I can get me feet flat on the ground. Kawasaki Vulcan S is good value if you wanted a cruiser.

Best to do DAS, £1200 is a bit steep.

Smile

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say my aim was to master any aspects, more often than not if you think you've mastered something you are delusional like you say and that can lead to complacency...

Its interesting what you've said about the geometry, being able to corner properly sounds like a necessary skill to me. I get that you're not going to get your knee down on a cruiser, but then surely that's not the point.

As @arry mentioned earlier, after the training I might change my mind altogether after I've had a feel for how the learner bike feels like. Already the feedback from here and other posts has shown me that a Rebel is probably not the way to go. Nonetheless, I like the styling, somebody mentioned a Vulcan S on another post which also fits the brief for me.

Did you guys start on the bike you thought you wanted?

wr6133 wrote:

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:
I wouldn't say my aim was to master any aspects, more often than not if you think you've mastered something you are delusional like you say and that can lead to complacency...

That's a good attitude to take into it. I had an advanced rider training day a few weeks back and the instructor said hey, I've been doing this 3 decades but I'm still learning. At the end of the day I asked him something and he said he'd never thought about it before but would go away and think about it, and give me an answer. He'd filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge - or pieces of my jigsaw - that day; but when it came to it I was still able to pose a question or prompt consideration from him with my own knowledge. It's just an example of how we should always be self-critical / aware and continue to learn.

Charmwah wrote:
Its interesting what you've said about the geometry, being able to corner properly sounds like a necessary skill to me. I get that you're not going to get your knee down on a cruiser, but then surely that's not the point.

You run out of ground clearance faster than you will run out of grip. On a cruiser you'll scrape pegs - on a normal bike you'd be going further and further over the tyre's edge until eventually you're in that danger zone where other inputs and considerations (throttle, brakes, body position, road surface) can have a dramatic influence on what happens next. That's not to say you CAN'T experience a loss of traction on a cruiser, it's just far less likely that you're going to get the bike over to a lean angle that means you're in that danger zone.

Charmwah wrote:
other posts has shown me that a Rebel is probably not the way to go. Nonetheless, I like the styling, somebody mentioned a Vulcan S on another post which also fits the brief for me.

Oh I wouldn't say discount it already - it might absolutely bob on for what you want. There's loads of bikes I'm not interested in that sell by the bucketload so one man's tat is another man's treasure. If you're drawn to it, then do at least try it once you've got the licence out of the way. You can compare it to your test bike and see from there.

Charmwah wrote:

I started on what I was given - which was a cheap hack of a GPZ500 in reasonably good nick but it wasn't a bike that set the world alight. But hey, it was 2 wheels and ~55 horsepower of 2 wheeled goodness that sang well after 7k RPM and got me out and about for the day on my own in my own thoughts and let me see places that I wouldn't otherwise have gone and really set alight a now 12 year (ish) passion for bikes that I didn't otherwise have.

I guess my point is, the bike I started on wasn't the be all and end all of my biking life - the actually getting biking was - so don't sweat it too much til you're through the other side of the test and then the fun stuff starts Thumbs Up

Charmwah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I guess my point is, the bike I started on wasn't the be all and end all of my biking life - the actually getting biking was - so don't sweat it too much til you're through the other side of the test and then the fun stuff starts Thumbs Up

More wise words. I appreciate your advice, you've given me another perspective on a few things and that can only be beneficial, much obliged.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmwah wrote:

No but I needed everyday transport so practicality and costing as low in to 3 figures as possible were the ruling factors Laughing

If you want a cruiser get one, just be aware of the pro's and cons. End of the day you are going to be the one riding it, do what makes you happy, sod everyone else.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I have to say it, Bennett's do some good articles. I don't mind them so much. But yeah, MCN.....

Where to start. The last review I read of theirs with a view to actually buying one was the Fantic Caballero. They're massively over-positive about it to the point I began to think there was something amiss. I researched it and found the engine is basically Chinese and they'd reviewed it highly saying it was great then thought - hmm, I wonder what else this engine is in? And lo and behold found it in something else and in their review of that a few years beforehand they gave it a big thumbs down.

Bike magazine is similarly shit.

They know fine well none of us can afford to actually BUY a bike any more - so instead of reviewing bikes themselves, most of the mag is surreptitiously given over to reviewing PCP deals.

And, because subscription figures have slumped, and they can't afford to pay for proper journalism any more, they've started reprinting articles from the late '70s.

It's fucked.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2