Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roundabout . . . what would you do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Roundabout . . . what would you do? Reply with quote

So I'm coming at this from the perspective of a cyclist (as that's the capacity I use the junction in), but I could just as easily be on my motorcycle or in the car and the same problem is presented.

Approaching this junction along the A6 coming from Manchester, I want to continue along the A6 southbound towards Stockport. The roundabout has 4 exits (excluding the one I'm joining on), with the A6 being number 3. However, it's at roughly 2 o'clock and there's the A57 which comes off the junction at roughly 10 o'clock. The A6 has two lanes approaching the roundabout, the left lane is "left and straight on", the right lane is "right and straight on". The exit onto the A57 is two lanes but only one lane onto the A6. Other than the arrow markings, there are no other lane markings/signs suggesting who should go into which lane. The issue I have is irrespective of which lane I adopt, I end up getting cut up by someone. I'm inclined to think the right hand lane is the better one to be in (on the basis that my exit is beyond 12 o'clock) so is technically a "slight right" but it's actually harder to be checking for traffic behind me as well as to the left, whereas I can check both over my right shoulder if I'm in the left lane.

If I adopt the left lane, I get cut by traffic in the right lane cutting across my path onto the A57. If I take the right lane, I get traffic going around the roundabout in the left lane and cutting me up as I try to exit onto the A6. Basically, I can't seem to win!

What would you do? Am I missing the obvious? I did consider straddling but I think I'd end up with vehicles either side of me, and that wouldn't be fun.

Location on approach (A57 is to the left of the Apollo, the white building, A6 is to the right of the Apollo): https://www.google.com/maps/@53.470486,-2.22305,3a,47.7y,140.53h,87.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgcuPXOWP0Nm1yi6AzdDM2A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the view, to go between the white building and the scaffolded one, you should approach in the right-hand lane.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Looking at the view, to go between the white building and the scaffolded one, you should approach in the right-hand lane.

Which indeed was what I did the first time I negotiated it . . . but was cut off by traffic on the left that effectively undertook me on the roundabout itself.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Exit 1 = left hand lane always, regardless of vehicle (easy!)

Exit 2 sorta looks "straight ahead" so technically you could go in either lane, according to the road markings, but on a bicycle I'd always take the lowest priority lane. If you have a car on your right heading to Exit 2 you can both go for it without cutting across each other.

From Exit 3 is where it gets interesting. Strictly speaking everything after Exit 2 is turning right. If we look at the fact you have two lanes on your approach and the only exit that has two lanes coming out is Exit 2... oh dear, so does Exit 3 Sad Yeah, I could see dumb people getting confused here.

If you head to Exit 3 in the left lane someone in the right will obviously try and run you down. So right lane it is... except there'll be a c*nt who does take the left lane.

Probably best to start with right lane, signal left once past Exit 2 and if there is a twat in the left lane just stick to the right lane of Exit 3, signal and move to the left when safe to do so...

...if someone is in the left lane all the way round heading to Exit 4, they are a twat and all you can do is watch out for that.

/tef-mode:off

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car, motorbike, RH lane every time, bicycle probably the left but well across to the right hand side of the lane and taking care when passing the lane onto the roundabout from the second exit, and also sticking my (right) arm out from the exit to the first road so as to indicate I wasn’t going down the second.
That’s my initial thought, if it felt wrong I’d reassess my plan after the first day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highway Code does advise cyclists to keep left and go round the roundabout in the left lane.

This is more moronic advice than dipping your testicles in battery acid to ensure you don't get STI's from shagging slags.

Right hand lane, but be aware that as you are going from A6 to A6 some people will use the left lane to go 'straight ahead' on the A6

It's a while since I was cycling as my only transport (mainly in Coventry in and out of the city centre) but my tactic would have been right lane, as I pass exit two, looking over my left shoulder and looking to move out left ready to exit.

If you can get a copy of Cyclecraft and read it, it's how to defensively cycle on the road as part of traffic and apparently well worth the read (I've yet to read it myself)

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:46 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would get off the bike and walk around to the exit I want. I hate trying to cycle around roundabouts. Half the users don't know how to use them and those that do don't give a fuck about cyclists or even notice them.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting one - my initial answer on looking at your first streetview was going to be that for exit 3 you'd want the right hand lane.

However, I then realised it's two lanes to two lanes (as exit 2 is too)

Skipping back to the roundabout sign I can see it clearly shows my road is a major road and both exits 2 and 3 are the same (exits 1 and 4 being minor and single lane)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4708645,-2.2237762,3a,75y,121.73h,95.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5lbWwDAGG86LbVlQ8uFY3A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This combined with the on road markings has made me change my answer. You can use both lane one and two to take exit 3.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

....however........

Having gone through the historic street view images at this location I can see in 2012 the paint on the road funnelled you to exit 2 if you were in the left hand lane, those markings now being very worn

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4702,-2.222497,3a,75y,306.18h,63.78t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syCxfbpICDrfpWUaufQIyaA!2e0!5s20121001T000000!7i13312!8i6656

What a total dog's dinner of a setup

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a cyclist, keep to the left and be aware of people wanting to turn left after over taking you. Keep looking around you, something few cyclists do.

Other vehicles would be on the right, indicate and move over as you come level with the exit prior to the one you want. If you can't safely exit, then go around again safely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway code says if you are turning right (I.e. further round than 12 o'clock) right hand lane. Lots of drivers are cunts who dont understand that applies to every vehicle so I'd just sit on the left on a busy one.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Personally, I would get off the bike and walk around to the exit I want.

When I first saw the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, which has changed now to be more user-friendly, I panicked and just turned left, went along for a while, "U" turned back to the roundabout(s), and repeated the procedure until I got onto that nice scenic road that goes where I wanted to go. I remember it to this day.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:26 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right hand lane with a strategically timed move into the left lane after the second exit.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about taking the A57 (Hyde road innit?) and hanging right at the next junction to get back onto the A6?

Edit: Fuck cycling in city centres, I used to think the A381 Totnes - Kingsbridge was scary enough...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Reassuring I’m not missing the obvious! A57 then right has merit except that junction wit Devonshire Street prohibits a right turn.

It’s really frustrating as a fast-ish cyclist; infrastructure like the Oxford Road cycle corridor is great for Miss Hippy doing 10mph on her Pashley to the shops, but totally hopeless for me spinning at 20mph trying to get the 10 miles home quickly. Hence why I choose the main roads where I can actually make progress (and without being a nuisance as I’m usually cycling at fairly similar speeds to traffic). The Council think they’ve done everything they need to though by catering for the leisure cyclists.

I go out of my way to make myself visible with lights always on and high viz clothing; I shudder to think how some of the ninja cyclists would get on at that roundabout (they seem to be restricted to the city centre usually). Actually had a bus driver wind down the window at some traffic lights a few weeks ago and I braced myself for some unprovoked abuse, instead got a “brilliant mate, I can actually see you properly! Wish all cyclists were as visible”. So it’s not all bad. Very Happy

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to ride a cycle. They are a danger to themselves and other road users. If you want to waste energy cycling go to a velodrome.

Only kidding, kind of. I wouldn't like to ride a bicycle on the road, I'm bad enough on a motorcycle where I command a lane.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:01 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate , sorry you are doing this all wrong ( in my opinion anyway). Your aim as well as travelling from Manchester in the direction of Stockport is to stay alive...That should be your ultimate aim and to achieve that aim you should avoid A roads wherever possible , and definitely avoid the Gladatorial ring that is the Apollo roundabout. This is a place not where christians are thrown to the Lions, but where cyclists are thrown under HGV's or if they don't get you then you will eventually fall prey to one of the many black cabs racing back to Picadilly station for the next job.
The secret of cycling in Manchester is to avoid busy roads wherever possible. In fact just avoid roads. This is what I would do Look at Google earth.

If you cut off Right before the roundabout, at Grosvenor Street and then left onto Wadeson road and Beamish close then cut through the houses on the pavement, avoiding the roundabout completely and come back on to the A6 again, at old elm street. This would totally avoid the roundabout .... Never mind the correct lane - just stay alive.
Another brilliant road is Erwood road, it runs parallel to the A6 for miles , but has no traffic , or indeed traffic lights, then you can cut up through Heaton Moor golf club and drop down onto Stockport , totally avoiding Death Race 2000, er, I mean the A6.

Another good cut through, before Heaton Moor lights, opposite the old Chapel House pub on the A6 - Buckingham road north , then over the railway and you can follow Tatton rd N , Tatton rd S Sutton rd , Sparth lane all the way into Stockport on the opposite side of the railway line from the A6, on quiet roads, with no traffic, why wouldn't you?

Urban cycling is dangerous, so use footpaths , parallel roads, no cycling passages, cut through estates, Parks, Golfclubs, warehouse carparks , whatever to make a safe and coherant route. Fuck trespass, fuck the highway code- stay alive.

I cycled for several years between Stockport and the Manchester Uni area a good while ago now but I dont think I would have lasted very long going along trunk roads with all the fucking idiots.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Highway code says if you are turning right (I.e. further round than 12 o'clock) right hand lane. Lots of drivers are cunts who dont understand that applies to every vehicle so I'd just sit on the left on a busy one.

"Should" and not "Must", one is a guide the other is an instruction. It depends on the vehicle and so is a guide.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
[touted pragmatism]

Yes, there are routes I'd consider on a bicycle or motorbike that I wouldn't consider in a car: mostly back roads with those square road humps. The value of a main road in a car is >30mph and I doubt you're managing that on a push bike Smile

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the value in a main road, at least on my commute, actually is commuting time, but this is a function of directness rather than traffic flow. The A6 is pretty much a straight line from home to work; so last night I went down Oxford Road, then cut around the back lanes across to Dickenson Road before following the A34 (bus lane) for a bit, then diving back through the backroads of Burnage before emerging on the A6 next to the biscuit factory. From there I followed the A6 (bus or cycle lanes) to Stockport centre before deflecting off again to get home. Net result was around 10 minutes longer commute (about 1 mile further I think, but the time/distance is disproportionate because of all the little junctions whereas if I go down the A6 I can just barrel along).

I have to admit, it's been a good while since I went the "backroad" route and other than the first bit of Oxford Road between town and the hospital (where I nearly collided with several Chinese students who randomly decided to run into the road without looking), it was quite pleasant. Perhaps it is worth the extra 10 minutes a day after all. Thinking

Incidentally I'd never consider pavements/wrong way down a one way etc. or violating any other road rule; many cyclists think the rules don't apply to them but I'm not in that category; a road is a road and the rules apply regardless of the vehicle type I'm using.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:28 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Incidentally I'd never consider pavements/wrong way down a one way etc. or violating any other road rule; many cyclists think the rules don't apply to them but I'm not in that category; a road is a road and the rules apply regardless of the vehicle type I'm using.

No, I wouldn't ride up a one way street the wrong way either.
Nor ride on pavement for any distance ( crossing pavement , a bit different), but I know what you mean. I did find on the main drag motorists rather dangerous , passing too close and all that. I was happy to keep out of the way in exchange for a slightly slower journey

Your ' backlanes of Burnage' could well be my Erwood road.
Ride safe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1