Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cashier forgot to scan barcode.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Cashier forgot to scan barcode. Reply with quote

When a supermarket cashier unprotects a security-protected item is he/she personally identifiable.

Would going back in (tomorrow) and explaining I owe £40 for a printer cartridge multipack (which wasn't on the receipt) just drop the friendly cashier in the sh*t?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an honest person who had intended to pay for the item when you went to the counter, you will, now, feel compelled to pay for the goods. It's only right.

If the cashier has a history of making mistakes like that one, they'll probably sack him/her. Supermarkets and other large retail outlets take revenue protection seriously. They also have to protect against the possibility of low-level organised crime. For example, what if the cashier let that one slip through on purpose, in order to see whether it would be noticed by security, or to test the supermarket's RFID detectors. After all, it's a fair bet that many people would not return to pay for the item, if they'd got away with not paying for it, or if they simply didn't check their receipt.

I would take the supermarket's interests over his or hers, in this case. If it's an honest mistake, then they should be informed about it, so they can monitor whether that individual is too error prone to be handling cash. If it's a repeat mistake and they've had enough, then perhaps it simply wasn't the job for him/her.

At the end of the day, you won't feel happy being in possession of and benefiting from something that doesn't rightfully belong to you. The cashier's error shouldn't force you to compromise your own moral code.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:26 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, so what, no one will even ever notice.

Don't drop the cashier in it, it might have been a genuine mistake but either way, it's not your problem so don't make it your problem and don't make it the cashiers problem. If there are frequently discentancies with the total of their till compared to what's been scanned then they're going to get busted and there's no benefit to you for adding to the list of things that don't add up so just leave 'em to it.

You haven't even notice that the receipt was £40 short, it's nothing to do with you so leave it at that, you got lucky and got some printer cartridges for free, for all you know they're a rookie who hasn't got a clue what they're doing so just leave 'em to it and let the supermarket get on with whatever the fuck they're doing.

Again, it's not your problem so don't make it your problem.

Don't even mention it, you haven't noticed so leave it at that. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less concerned with the supermarket, they're running their own scams. I was more concerned that an innocent mistake by a young person might blight their employment record. However, right now they might not even be identifiable, but I fear they will be if I pitch up to point the finger.

Incidentally, the same supermarket sold me a generic ink refill pack which led the printer to ignore the presence of the cartridges, even after I'd bought an electronic device to reset the apparent ink levels. So they've had my money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Cashier forgot to scan barcode. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
When a supermarket cashier unprotects a security-protected item is he/she personally identifiable.

Would going back in (tomorrow) and explaining I owe £40 for a printer cartridge multipack (which wasn't on the receipt) just drop the friendly cashier in the sh*t?

(Edit: deleted "well done" line)

No, it won't drop a cashier in it. If you wanted, you could just go there and say what happened, without taking the receipt (or you could remove the name and till number from the receipt), photograph it first, for your records).

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:05 - 22 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
but I fear they will be if I pitch up to point the finger.

No one is going to notice unless the checkout person is already being watched and even then, it's nothing to do with you.

There's no reason to bring the subject up, you didn't try to do anything wrong, if the total was £40 short then the time to mention it was before you paid so at this point just leave it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
if the total was £40 short then the time to mention it was before you paid so at this point just leave it.

The cashier was telling me about her shift and although I noted the bill was £29 and I paid by contactless I didn't give it any thought until I got home. Then when recalling how £40 had seemed a bit much I thought hang on, the total bill was less than that.

Riejufixing wrote:
No, it won't drop a cashier in it. If you wanted, you could just go there and say what happened, without taking the receipt (or you could remove the name and till number from the receipt), photograph it first, for your records).

I was wondering whether the cashier had already put her name to the "transaction" by unprotecting the attached security device. If she's not already implicated I'd leave it.

In fact I'm thinking the moment has passed so leave it anyway.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I was wondering whether the cashier had already put her name to the "transaction" by unprotecting the attached security device. If she's not already implicated I'd leave it.

Transactions that take place on tills (of any kind) are recorded on a server and can be traced, yes. Their name will be on the system as having been logged in at the time and responsible for that transaction (usually an employee number).

Going back would cause more issues for her than not, in honesty. Either she coughed up to her boss and conversations were had "try not to do it again," or she hoped no-one would notice.

Stock would get adjusted on a daily count, or when a large stock take it performed. In either case unless someone saw that transaction and that it hadn't been scanned the business would put it down as a general stock loss or theft.

What's done is done. Mistakes happen. Just be sure to go back to her next time you want a similar item. Laughing

Just to clarify its not the un-tagging of the item that someone is held accountable for, but rather the failure to scan the item. Un-tagging, to the best of my experience, is not recorded. Its literally just a machine that debuggs the tag to prevent alarms at the door. A list of recorded items on a transaction is the way companies tell if something is fishy (items sold for less than they should be etc etc). Again refer to above "conversation or hope nothing happens."

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

In fact I'm thinking the moment has passed so leave it anyway.

I have edited my previous comment. Pfft.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I have edited my previous comment. Pfft.

Ha! formerly, "An honest man, well done." I am, but in this I was more concerned about the cashier's reputation than the supermarket's paltry loss. Going back to the shop and explaining would just get complicated. NJD seems to have answered the original question which suggests there's no harm done wrt the cashier, unless I go back. I won't.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in retail, there was nothing to tie the security tag to the item it was on. You could "de-tag" a hundred items, but only put 10 through the till and provided no-one was watching over your shoulder, you'd get away with it.

As for feeling bad about a freebie, it's a big faceless corporation with CEOs and shareholders doing their very best to maximise profits by rinsing customers for all they're worth and shortchanging staff wherever thy can. Feel good about getting one up on them. If it was a small one man band type outfit, I'd feel bad because you're directly taking money out of their pocket, but not so with the big super markets.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/39/1e/30391e27d975fac48f1779ccb5de1fd9.jpg

Last edited by Poseidon on 15:32 - 23 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:50 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just keep it and not say a word, but then again, I did the same with a TV they forgot to process the payment for Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
When I worked in retail, there was nothing to tie the security tag to the item it was on.

Heh - reminds me: the other day my lad bought a bottle of gin from Tesco. The checkout operator was on his first day, and pretty elderly and somewhat clueless; he didn't know how to get the security tag off and in doing so, managed to trash the bottle cap, obviously rendering the bottle unsaleable. He then repeated this process twice more before my son suggested 'Do you think maybe you ought to ask someone for some help?'

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 15:27 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although your intentions mean well, the job market right now is wank, don't risk getting someone in trouble over split milk. I'm sure the CEO of whatever supermarket chain it was can afford an extra £40 for his next yacht.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew the business owners personally then I probably would go back to them "a quiet word in your shell-like" but a big corporation, fuhgeddaboudit!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that's immoral in this thread is the fact that a cartridge pack costs £40.

You can get a whole new printer for £50.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
The only thing that's immoral in this thread is the fact that a cartridge pack costs £40.

You can get a whole new printer for £50.

Clever marketing. Buy the surprisingly cheap printer and you've (I've) inadvertently committed to paying their monstrous prices for ink. As I said, alternative kits don't seem to work because the cartridges are chipped.

I didn't go back and am now on the run. Laughing

Potentially wanted for a crime I didn't commit, I promptly escaped from Tesco's to the North Hertfordshire underground. Today I survive as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find me... cheap rates, no job too small.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made the attempt to pay, the cashier didn't take the money and you didn't notice. All is good in the world.

You made an attempt to pay, the cashier didn't take the money and you did notice/it came to you attention. You are now guilty of theft.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Buy the surprisingly cheap printer and you've (I've) inadvertently committed to paying their monstrous prices for ink.

I keep getting mailshots from a reasonably well-known 'bargain basement' tech company (whose name escapes me) which literally advertises 'free' printers (the small print being that you have to buy three ink cartridges). A crazy world.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked out of B and Q once without paying, I was having a bit of an argument with the wife or she was with me.

I got to the car realised, walked back in told the greater and then paid.

I'm too honest.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I didn't go back and am now on the run. Laughing

Potentially wanted for a crime I didn't commit, I promptly escaped from Tesco's to the North Hertfordshire underground. Today I survive as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find me... cheap rates, no job too small.

I have a solution which will ease your conscience.

Go back in and tell the truth, explain the cashier forgot to scan your barcode. Unfortunately you don't have the product with you but it went like this:
"Big bar, little bar, big bar...."

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went in B+Q once and bought a wheelbarrow and some other stuff - put in the barrow for convenience and realised afterwards the barrow was never scanned I guess a lot of people bring their own barrows to go shopping there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1