Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How bent is Amazon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: How bent is Amazon Reply with quote

Wife was on Facebook and just so happened to need a new charger cable for her iPhone. An advert pops up for people to 'test' new iPhone cables from Amazon. They PayPal you the requisite funds, you buy their product and the only prerequisite is; you MUST leave a favourable review. So she receives the funds, buys the cable, receives the cable and uses the cables, not the best but for free they are OK. Leaves a review. £9.99 it cost the company to buy a review of their own product. So really all reviews about this product are going to be bollocks.

Makes you think if this is prolific enough to damage the reliability of the reviews on Amazon. Is the review legit? or has it been bought.

Thinking

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty well known that the Amazon reviews/ratings system is total guff.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the ethics involved it's like every sort of feedback/review.

If it's very good or very bad people will probably review it. If it's OK, they won't bother. I've been an Amazon prime customer since 2000 and I cannot remember reviewing anything except a kettle the was crappy as fcuk. Amazon refunded me so who cares.

Ebay is another. Five stars for delivering an item. It looks good. I haven't tried it yet, here's 5 stars. Rolling Eyes

I think the only customer reviews I take the slightest notice of are if I am trying something new from Toolstation or Screwfix. They seem to be written more by people who know what they are doing and those companies don't seem to be worried about posting crap product reviews.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fakespot.com/

Run the cable through that and see if it detects it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: How bent is Amazon Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
£0.49 it cost the company to buy a review of their own product.

FTFY

An Amazon review for a no-name bit of kit from China will make all the difference, and will let them sell something for £9.99 each that costs them a total of £0.49 to produce and ship to the customer.

Everything is made in China, and it's made for peanuts. In the old days, it was just trainers. But your or your wife's positive review will be transformative, for someone's business enterprise. When it comes to things like motorcycle gear, the actual person doing the review makes more of a difference. A bit of nylon mesh with plastic pieces stuck in it gets reinvented as a cutting edge bit of materials technology and advanced engineering, if you can get Fortnine to showcase it. So, send him one. Then, bingo! Suddenly, you can sell your product with your brand name on it for £300, while an almost identical one without the review will go for £20 at most on Ebay.

In between the cheap cable and the expensive Emperor's new clothes, there's a whole range of consumer and white goods review fishing going on, with websites like wish.com

It's how things roll, these days.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be part of it or don't. Simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions and answers can be a better gauge of a product's quality but that can also be manipulated.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: How bent is Amazon Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Wife was on Facebook and just so happened to need a new charger cable for her iPhone. An advert pops up for people to 'test' new iPhone cables from Amazon. They PayPal you the requisite funds, you buy their product and the only prerequisite is; you MUST leave a favourable review. So she receives the funds, buys the cable, receives the cable and uses the cables, not the best but for free they are OK. Leaves a review. £9.99 it cost the company to buy a review of their own product. So really all reviews about this product are going to be bollocks.

Makes you think if this is prolific enough to damage the reliability of the reviews on Amazon. Is the review legit? or has it been bought.

Thinking

Report seller to Amazon.

As Amazon in reality has nothing to do with the scam your Mrs has been caught in.
Watch out for the paypal account getting hacked Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: How bent is Amazon Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Thinking

The worst and most misleading thing about Amazon reviews is that Amazon believe that Amazon reviews have worth.

They are, in fact, a load of auld Wank.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tldr, I think Amazon is just a massive Drop ship operator now. This thread will undoubtedly become a ChinaChina thread.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since mpd left we're due a good China China China thread...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:30 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
China China China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8TtQsXsI0

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty much all online retailers do this.

I work at one of the bigger ones and we have a group of VIP customers who we will send things to for free for them to write reviews.

It's big money, reviews tend to increase the attractiveness of a product significantly (a product with a 1 star review still gets clicked on more often than a product with no review, 5 stars is way more) and this then naturally corresponds to increased conversion rates and revenue. Interestingly (or not) customers tend to ignore/filter out 1 star and 5 star reviews and focus on the ones in the middle which are seen to be a more honest reflection.

Customers trust reviews and so this whole process could be considered a bit misleading, however the response has always been as long as it's a fair and accurate review does it matter if the person leaving it was engaged by the retailer or not?

I'd also add that one of the things we use review for (and I believe Amazon do the same) is direct feedback on quality. If we provide a product to a number of customers and they all come back to say it's crap then this gets fed back to the buying team who will likely then stop and kick off with the manufacturer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stablepeach wrote:
So pretty much all online retailers do this.

I work at one of the bigger ones and we have a group of VIP customers who we will send things to for free for them to write reviews.

It's big money, reviews tend to increase the attractiveness of a product significantly (a product with a 1 star review still gets clicked on more often than a product with no review, 5 stars is way more) and this then naturally corresponds to increased conversion rates and revenue. Interestingly (or not) customers tend to ignore/filter out 1 star and 5 star reviews and focus on the ones in the middle which are seen to be a more honest reflection.

Customers trust reviews and so this whole process could be considered a bit misleading, however the response has always been as long as it's a fair and accurate review does it matter if the person leaving it was engaged by the retailer or not?

I'd also add that one of the things we use review for (and I believe Amazon do the same) is direct feedback on quality. If we provide a product to a number of customers and they all come back to say it's crap then this gets fed back to the buying team who will likely then stop and kick off with the manufacturer.

Reviews for a 100% Fake Restaurant?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shed_at_Dulwich#:~:text=The%20Shed%20at%20Dulwich%20was,the%20listing%20was%20taken%20down.

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:15 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I watched a documentary on this, it was amazing - they kept simply refusing any bookings which only served to drive up demand.

I think in the end they actually did open for a one off and served dinner to a small group in his shed.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Bezos thanks you for your patronage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2020/08/26/worlds-richest-billionaire-jeff-bezos-first-200-billion/#256889204db7
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1