Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:24 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Don't drop it in the first place....

Rolling Eyes

We all know what's going to happen now you've said that.

Razz

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It's a lovely bike and will serve you well, the weight disappears once yo start to move. The main issue with any BMW bike is cost to service and parts. I'm finding that out big time with my GS Adventure.

other than that it's a great bike and one that you will learn on and enjoy.

Got to factor the service and parts cost. I can imagine that it is a lot more than Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Triumphs etc.

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I had one for about a year (2007 r sport model).

I really wouldn't recommend one as a first bike as they're quite unlike almost every other bike out there.

They have duolever front suspension which means a few things. They are INCREDIBLY heavy to steer at low speed (almost feels as though the head bearings are too tight) and somewhat vague re feedback until you learn to trust it. Having said that absolutely no other bike will be as stable as a BMW K - it's the physics of how the suspension works and the enormous length of the bike.

I've ridden a number of throaty bikes but as some have alluded to the k's will pull in almost any gear at almost any speed. The torque is insane (more so on the K1300)

Also take into account that the 1200 range had a lot of niggles: weak gearbox, dodgy esa, unreliable ABS (both servo and later). The K1300 in contrast has upgraded suspension, MUCH stronger gearbox and seemingly better ABS.

So yeah, they take a fair bit of getting used to and certainly aren't for the fainthearted. If you're of larger stature like myself these issues will be negated somewhat but it's still an enormously powerful bike (i'm also talking torque figures here which however around 100ft lbs).

The list of concerns is growing for me. The low speed steering and the niggle list is putting me off. I gather that the ABS issues have already been tackled on this particular bike. Howver, it sounds like there is pleanty of scope for it to become a money pit quickly. I am leaning towards something more conventional like a Triumph. Thanks again for the advice.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:00 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

J30NNN wrote:
The list of concerns is growing for me. The low speed steering and the niggle list is putting me off. I gather that the ABS issues have already been tackled on this particular bike. Howver, it sounds like there is pleanty of scope for it to become a money pit quickly. I am leaning towards something more conventional like a Triumph. Thanks again for the advice.

Any bike (almost) has a niggle list/things that go wrong. Even the fabled VFR800 with its regulator-rectifier. On most peoples bikes for their ownership it will never be a problem, its just normally known on some models of bike to others.

Any bike will keep up with you're friends, the limiting factor will be you, which is fine! To back up the above regarding niggles early Street Triples had a woeful turning circle, are very easily stolen and have poor fuel consumption. Otherwise they're great though. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2