Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First time jacket, gloves and boots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nelly1980
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Hi guys! 1st ever post, so I’m a complete noob!

I’ve booked my theory and am doing my CBT in a couple of weeks. However, in this new COVID world, we obviously have to bring our own gear to CBT and further training etc.

Obviously, I’m a complete noob (but pushing 41... and wishing I’d done this years ago!!), and have no desires to go hurtling round a track, but I still want to get myself the best gear I can afford so that it lasts me. Initially, the primary use of the bike is commuting and day trips at weekends.

Think I’m sorted on the helmet - was looking at this:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/239320

So am now looking at jackets. I’m very much liking the sound of D3O armour, so looking for jackets that include it, but they are coming out pretty pricey... Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations? I know the jacket is important so am prepared to pay for quality, but I have no benchmark or reference point to know what’s expensive and what middle of the road.

Will also happily take any recommendations on gloves and boots!

Thanks all!

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:47 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for this one .. but added a pinlock insert which works a treat. I prefer the quick release and don't like double d fastners...
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/280400

As for jacket and trousers I managed to pick up some quality gear second hand and hardly worn off facebook/marketplace. Saved a fortune.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend going to a shop to try on helmets if that's still allowed. Different brands can fit better than others and you probably dont know what size you need yet.

Some of the cheaper jackets can be pretty good. I've had a cheaper RST for years and it's held up well, so I say pay up to £100.

Gloves I usually spend £40+ on and again I've had good experiences with RST. I've got the GT I think which are nice. Again if you can, go try some on

Keep in mind that as winter comes you will need to change your gloves for warmer ones and get some under layers. It's also worth getting a thin neck warmer to use now and a thicker one for winter. I always carry a thin one with me to put on if it gets a bit chilly or starts to rain Laughing

Nelly1980
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:04 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Ayrton - completely agree about going to a shop - especially for a helmet! I realise that my post with URL’s makes it look I’m going to buy online, but I’m just using the sites to search for product info and reviews. Again, thanks for the advice!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

'no desires to go hurtling round a track' Oh my it's worth a try do just get a wee bit of revs going in fourth gear without getting arrested.

Anyway I had bought mostly RST, then I found latex, no protection but feels great.

Nelly1980
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:52 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! Struan80, well I say that as a noob, let me get a few miles under my belt and I’m sure it’s an itch I will end up needing to scratch!! But first off I need to learn to ride!!

I’m just saying that for gear purposes, I’m not looking to race every weekend, predominantly I’m going to be commuting and going out for leisure so am looking for something highly protective and comfortable Very Happy

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richa make pretty well priced kit at various price/performance points. When I went for a hoon yesterday, I skipped over the Alpinestars boots and gloves and used a 5 year old pair of Richa boots and 4 year old gloves.

I wouldn't base my jacket choice on what armour it has. I've broken my elbow through CE approved armour, not D30 but I own some D30 kit and doubt it would have done any better.

From your choice of time to do the CBT I take it you plan to ride through the shite weather? If so textiles are the only real choice. Keep in mind when shopping that the duration the item keeps water out is generally reflected by the price. If you buy off brand crap now you'll only end up spending more later.

My current choice for really shit weather jacket and trousers are Alpinestars Andes V2. I think if you shop around you can get a set for £350-ish. It's yet to leak on me and like most Alpinestars stuff it has been designed by someone who thinks about who the end user is. Zips, adjusters, etc can be operated with a cold, numb, gloved hand.

Worth getting a pair of Kevlar jeans too for days when the weather is nicer and you don't fancy heavy textile trousers.

Helmet, Aryton has given you the best advice. Go and try on if possible. The problem being head shape some brands will just be uncomfy or not fit properly. They all pass the same safety standard, increasing price usually just indicates features, less noise, nicer liner, etc. Make sure it has a pinlock!

Gloves, again duration of waterproofing seems to mirror price. Gloves are seasonal too. What you wear now is probably not what you wear in January. As the crap weather is approaching though I'd probably aim for a decent winter glove as your first pair.

Boots if you want to reign the budget in you can get away with a decent pair of old Army boots. If not try to go somewhere to try on, I find the fit between brands varies alot.

I don't commute on 2 wheels anymore but did for years. Single best piece of advice I can offer is get waterproof, waterproofs! There is nothing shitter than turning up to work on a dark, wet winter morning and your Penis has retracted in to your body because you just spent 20 miles absorbing the rain and freezing yourself.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Nelly1980 wrote:
I’m very much liking the sound of D3O armour, so looking for jackets that include it, but they are coming out pretty pricey... Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations?

I don't think D3O armour will protect you any better than other types, but it's pretty comfortable; eg especially in gear you might end up wearing off the bike, like jeans. As you've noticed, it's tends to be standard only in higher-end kit. But there's nothing to stop you buying D3O armour separately, later on if you want. Also, note that very many jackets don't come with back armour, so you'll want to buy that anyway.

If you're fussy about armour though, you'll want to check you get 'level 2' rather than 'level 1' - it means it's been tested officially to give a higher level of protection. I don't know how much difference it actually makes in practice when you're bouncing down the road on your arse, but presumably it can't do any harm having the higher grade.

wr6133 wrote:
There is nothing shitter than turning up to work on a dark, wet winter morning and your Penis has retracted in to your body because you just spent 20 miles absorbing the rain and freezing yourself.

Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing that won't be an issue for the OP Shocked

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing that won't be an issue for the OP Shocked

I assumed Gender as I'm a patriarchal shit-lord.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice advice in this thread, but, um... where's Tef?

If you like D3O, you're in luck, because you can buy D3O inserts, and throw away the rubbish foam "armour" you get in cheap jackets.

I own D3O and I am not a believer in D3O. I would strongly suggest you get your hands on a piece or two, for example a D3O knee or elbow pad, and have a play with it and think it over for yourself. Honestly, the stuff seems like complete rubbish, to me.

This whole business - namely, what armoured stuff to get, is a minefield. It's also an enormous and profitable industry. Watch your wallet. People pour thousands down this rabbit hole. In my opinion, try to invest in skill acquisition, because no armour is a good bet against the massive, almost incalculable, array of possible "mechanism of injury" outcomes in a motorcycle accident. Just to put things in perspective, I wear a 20+ year old Frank Thomas leather jacket in the rain and the heat, and I spent £1000 last Sunday and turned it into £1015 as of today. Not much, but better than £1000 total loss on some glorified trademarked gel/foam. You do need gear, but you also need to navigate around the idea of risk.

Nelly1980
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:44 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Some really great advice from everybody!!

Definitely agree on the Kevlar jeans for off bike wearing, as will be commuting to work/station so handy not having to change. However, also definitely agree about the waterproofs!!

Baud - you’ve reinforced a decision I had already made to invest in some advanced lessons after my mod1+2, so thanks for that.

Appreciate all the suggestions and advice guys!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I own D3O and I am not a believer in D3O. I would strongly suggest you get your hands on a piece or two, for example a D3O knee or elbow pad, and have a play with it and think it over for yourself. Honestly, the stuff seems like complete rubbish, to me.

You do get how D3O 'works', right - ie, the whole viscoelastic thing? It's supposed to be soft and pliable (aka flimsy looking) until it comes under impact

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Bhud wrote:

You do get how D3O 'works', right - ie, the whole viscoelastic thing? It's supposed to be soft and pliable (aka flimsy looking) until it comes under impact

Yes, I know the claims. But I'm not convinced by them. Just imagine a piece of D3O between you and a car travelling 30mph. Yeah....

The real genius of the stuff is how it's marketed. It doesn't matter what I say or think. The herd follows a leader and people will buy it because their trusted Youtube influencer says it's good. That, and it's like a corona face mask. It's the sort of thing people buy because they don't know if it works. Better to lose a hundred quid than be paralysed. Marketing genius.

I have to be careful about what I say, because D3O was mostly sold through social influence, and people will not support anyone who says they made the wrong consumer decision. That, and these guys (the influencers themselves) are ready for me. They seem to be the sweetest, nicest trust fund kids in the world, i.e. big-time SHARKS, and the moment they spot someone has seen their camouflage they'll come out of the woodwork and show their true colours. I'm an idiot, I'm this or that, and no they haven't been sent here by that sweet trust fund kid male or female to berate me. Blah blah blah. These guy and gals sharpened their "social" knives at an early age.

In short, the trick with D3O was basically to make it orange, to make the "message" go into people's minds a bit easier. You were not to think of this as an ordinary bit of rubber or gel, no. You were given a set of "scientific" buzzwords and a product that's clearly orange. You are to think of white, green, orange, red, brown, etc. as having a message for you, as a motorcyclist. You are to think of D3O orange as being "insurance" against serious injury. Orange is more intense than yellow. Yellow stands for hi-viz, etc.

Of course, it isn't really insurance against anything. If you get hurt, neither the social media influencers nor the D3O sellers want to know. At most, they will say, without foundation, that you would have suffered worse injury if you hadn't had the magic orange strip.

Nobody actually believes in this stuff, or else they would clothe themselves in a layer of D3O and have their mate drive at them in a big truck at 30/40mph. But the goal isn't to make you believe in it - just to have enough doubt to consider it to be "insurance". Of course, insurers have to pay out - there's an Ombudsman, and there are courts. But this isn't insurance - there is no comeback. What it is is a complete unknown, making a few people rich.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helmet should come with a 'pinlock' in the box. Why are you buying kit before CBT?

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Nelly1980 wrote:

I’ve booked my theory and am doing my CBT in a couple of weeks. However, in this new COVID world, we obviously have to bring our own gear to CBT and further training etc.

Obviously, I’m a complete noob (but pushing 41... and wishing I’d done this years ago!!), and have no desires to go hurtling round a track, but I still want to get myself the best gear I can afford so that it lasts me. Initially, the primary use of the bike is commuting and day trips at weekends.

So am now looking at jackets. I’m very much liking the sound of D3O armour, so looking for jackets that include it, but they are coming out pretty pricey... Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations? I know the jacket is important so am prepared to pay for quality, but I have no benchmark or reference point to know what’s expensive and what middle of the road.

Thanks all!

I was like you a few months ago - in my 40s and new to it all (still am). I would definately go to a shop to try on a range of helmets as I found that there were masses of variation between brands and how they suited the shape of my head. I almost bought a Shoei helmet as it felt okish - then tried an Arai and knew immediately that the Arai was the way forward.

There is so much choice in terms of brands and their respective safety claims. I bought a Dianese textile jacket and trousers after CBT as textiles seemed the most versatile in terms of care, ability to cope with variations in weather and comfort. However, a few months into spring, I bought a leather jacket and kevlar jeans. The leather jacket felt "safer" than my textiles (closer fit of armour etc) but the jeans feel like they offer very little protection in the event of an off. I only wear the jeans to commute to work. Recently, I bought leather jeans to go with the jacket.

From a personal point of view, the leathers feel the safest. The textiles are the most versatile. I would not buy jeans again (they are great for blending in and not looking like a "biker") as I do not have confidence in them compared to textile/leather.

I would start with textiles and then add leather if or when budget permits. Buy full length boots with a good non slip sole (you will no doubt have seen the horror videos of foot injuries with riders wearing trainers). As a beginner, I found that gloves with a relatively thin palm helped me to have more control (leather) but have since bought thicker versions.

You will no doubt end up with lots of different types of clothing and will end up dressing to match the weather. Good luck and stay safe!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of reinforcing the above, but if you think you're going to gel with biking (bit hard to know without having done your CBT) then get decent stuff that'll last you. Nothing worse than cheap rubbish that you quickly grow tired of, that's without throwing crash protection into the mix. Second hand stuff can give bargains but check for tears / rips etc. which might suggest someone is selling it because they've bashed it themselves. Helmets should be tried on in a shop unless you're prepared to do a lot of mail order returns . . . plus you'll get the benefit of someone (hopefully) who can assess the fit. It needs to be snug and will loosen slightly with time; it should never "rattle" on your head.

Good luck and FWIW I learnt to ride at this time of year and it means you get used to riding in rubbish weather so will probably be less afraid of it.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Boots if you want to reign the budget in you can get away with a decent pair of old Army boots.

+1 here. I have been riding on a pair of Bates 8 inch tactical boots for nigh on 20 years. I prefer them over specialty "motorcycle boots". They fit well, easy on and off with inside zipper, and good protection. They are reasonably priced.
jerry11g This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

radlerin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I´m also a newbie and i would like to wear my own gear, too. However there are so many products on the market. Which items are the most important for a newbie?

Best,
R

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:54 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar thread and listed the kit I bought here

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=331443

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say try on all your kit before you buy and try it together. Comfort with all of your clothing has a direct impact on how you feel on the bike. Even a jacket that doesn't sit quite right will become a big annoyance on a day out. Try it all and pay what you need to to get it right.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Nelly1980 wrote:

Thanks all!

I am a bit late to this party but I didn't read up on the best gear to get as a new biker and I wish I had. I just went and bought the cheapest gear I could without putting too much thought into it.

My starting gear was:

Scorpion Exo 490 helmet (£109.00),
Richa Phantom II jacket (£159.99),
Oxford Brisbane gloves (£22.99),
Frank Thomas Viper boots (£49.99).

I still have the Scorpion helmet but I changed the visor to a tinted one, pulled out the flip down tinted visor and put a pinlock into it. Pinlock makes all the difference, I seriously recommend getting the pinlock. I really like ratchet straps too so that was nice on the helmet.

I still have the Richa jacket and I also bought some Richa Colorado trousers to go with it. Cannot praise Richa enough, for the price point which is at the bottom end of the scale I think their quality is fantastic. I also had to talk with their factory in Belgium and they were absolutely fantastic. Richa get a 100% recommendation from me.

The gloves and boots though are complete hot garbage. I have now resigned both to the cupboard as back-up gear.

I wish I had bought better gloves and boots from the start. I bought REV'IT! Stratos 2 GoreTex gloves (£119.99) and they are amazing. Seriously I never thought I would be happy spending so much money on a pair of gloves but they are completely waterproof, windproof and keep my hands toasty warm commuting in the freezing weather we are having here.

I also got Alpinestar Sektor boots (£104.99) and they have also been great. I was skeptical about their waterproofing but I have arrived everywhere with dry feet since I got them and that includes on days when I was riding through snow and slush!

If I could go back in time I would have got the gloves and boots to start with. I also wouldn't bother with the Colorado trousers and have just went with cheap waterproof over trousers instead.

FlyingDuck3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:41 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: First time jacket, gloves and boots Reply with quote

Nelly1980 wrote:

Thanks all!

I reccomend seeing if your local CBT provider sells discounted or used gear, personally would never buy a used helmet but I've had my used jacket which would cost me 400GBP for two years now and still loving it! (only cost me 90). Anyways hope you found all the right gear by now! Smile

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:41 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of stuff on ebay with all these lockdowns, i ended up with 2 jackets for bargain prices, both brand new from dealers who were shut to the public

i did my CBT last year and had to do the same, have my own gear

i bought tcx hero boots iirc, hood jeans, both of which i can recommend

i think i bought my helmet off ebay too, again from a closed dealer, luckily though i had the mrs one to try for size so i was sure i just needed the next size up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
lots of stuff on ebay with all these lockdowns, i ended up with 2 jackets for bargain prices, both brand new from dealers who were shut to the public

i did my CBT last year and had to do the same, have my own gear

i bought tcx hero boots iirc, hood jeans, both of which i can recommend

i think i bought my helmet off ebay too, again from a closed dealer, luckily though i had the mrs one to try for size so i was sure i just needed the next size up

Mate what the TCX boots like I was thinking of getting the Jupiter 4 GTX boots.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2