Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camper Van on a budget

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Camper Van on a budget Reply with quote

'Er indoors and I are considering touring around Europe in a van once the kids finally bugger off. In theory all will be gone in two years time.

I have never owned a camper having always been a tent bloke, so have zero experience here. What I am thinking is not spending tens of thousands on a ready-made vehicle that we may use for 3 months then sell at a loss, but rather going the 'Berlingo with boxes and a mattress plus awning' route.

Anybody here tried it and able to offer practical advice?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you want something to can stand up in - so a hi top, if you can start with an old mini-bus then all the better as you can get windows already installed and seatbelt mounts should you need them. Most proper VW campers were microbus not panel vans to start with.

You can also but ready-cut wood work interior kits for a lot of standard vans (Transit etc..) search ebay.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 7000 miles round Europe in a van a couple of years ago.

Hi-top is the best choice. If it is raining, you don't wanna be stuck in seats or bent over trying to cook something.

I did it in a sprinter MWB which had plenty of room. Hi top and bed big enough for 2. Gas hobs, microwave, inverter, solar panel, the lot.

If you want to do it in any sort of comfort, £5k is probably a good budget but with that, you will be making some compromises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. Every fucker and his wife has just bought a camper van because they can't go abroad on holiday and are busy driving them slowly and ineptly round the North Coast of Scotland, dropping litter and human excrement as they go.

Anything that could possibly be considered a camper van or converted into one is going for silly money. My tradesman mates are really struggling to get old beaters for their work.

Two years will be long enough for a huge number of these people to be back off to Benidorm and realising they have money sat moudering on their drive. There will be a glut of hardly used camper vans.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke who's buying my Versys instead of me part exing it says he wants to sell his camper van. He's not far from Dartford Tunnel, don't know where you are.

Not sure what it is some VW thing with a square front end and the engine at the front is all I know. Would you like more details?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Two years will be long enough for a huge number of these people to be back off to Benidorm and realising they have money sat moudering on their drive. There will be a glut of hardly used camper vans.

F'in this. I'm nearly ready to consider buying a van for trackdays. Can I find one that is reasonable money that hasn't done (not exaggerating) 250,000 miles or more? No, not a jot, not even an inkling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:55 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Mazda Bongo campervan that we use for weekends away and the occasional longer trip. Ours is a professional conversion with 240v electrics, fridge, sink, gas cooker and pull out bed. It has a lifting roof so there is room to stand up in. Size wise, it is ideal for two of us for a long weekend and just fine for a week or more if staying on a campsite and we can put the drive-away awning up. A bigger motorhome with more space and a built in toilet and shower may be more practical, but then you have the extra size to consider. Our Bongo is 4.7 meters long 2.1 meters high and 1.8 meters wide meaning it can fit in almost all car parks and is fine for narrow roads. Most VW campers are about the same size and you can also get campers based on vehicles like the Nissan Elgrand and Toyota Alphard. Although the Elgrand, Alphard and VW Transporter T4 onwards have less room inside due to them being front engined, whereas the Bongo is mid engined, and the VW's up to the T3 are rear engined.

Europe, particularly France, is much better than the UK for touring in a campervan, with most large towns and even smaller ones having motorhome parking areas called Aires. Most motorway (peage) service stations also have facilities for motorhomes and campervans. My advice would be to buy an up-to-date guide book specific to campervans and motorhomes before you start touring.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
We have a Mazda Bongo campervan that we use for weekends away and the occasional longer trip. Ours is a professional conversion with 240v electrics, fridge, sink, gas cooker and pull out bed. It has a lifting roof so there is room to stand up in. Size wise, it is ideal for two of us for a long weekend and just fine for a week or more if staying on a campsite and we can put the drive-away awning up. A bigger motorhome with more space and a built in toilet and shower may be more practical, but then you have the extra size to consider. Our Bongo is 4.7 meters long 2.1 meters high and 1.8 meters wide meaning it can fit in almost all car parks and is fine for narrow roads. Most VW campers are about the same size and you can also get campers based on vehicles like the Nissan Elgrand and Toyota Alphard. Although the Elgrand, Alphard and VW Transporter T4 onwards have less room inside due to them being front engined, whereas the Bongo is mid engined, and the VW's up to the T3 are rear engined.

Europe, particularly France, is much better than the UK for touring in a campervan, with most large towns and even smaller ones having motorhome parking areas called Aires. Most motorway (peage) service stations also have facilities for motorhomes and campervans. My advice would be to buy an up-to-date guide book specific to campervans and motorhomes before you start touring.
I heard that there is a secret Bongo (Fury?) wave. Is this true?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Ideally you want something to can stand up in

The usefulness of a decent tarpaulin (some call it an awning) is hard to over-estimate. Tie an edge to the roof-rack, add a couple of poles with cross-ends, and some guylines (not all bungees!) and it's good. If it's wwwindy, peg the windward side down.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
martin734 wrote:

I heard that there is a secret Bongo (Fury?) wave. Is this true?

I don't know about secret wave, but Bongo owners do wave at each other, like old Land Rover, VW camper and VW Beetle owners.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled Bongo Fury wave and found this mentioned on a VW camper forum.

"A friend's sister has one - I hear there is a "Bongo Wave" which involves putting your hand flat on your head then tilting up - like a bongo's roof! "

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Camper Van on a budget Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
'Er indoors and I are considering touring around Europe in a van once the kids finally bugger off. In theory all will be gone in two years time.

I have never owned a camper having always been a tent bloke, so have zero experience here. What I am thinking is not spending tens of thousands on a ready-made vehicle that we may use for 3 months then sell at a loss, but rather going the 'Berlingo with boxes and a mattress plus awning' route.

Anybody here tried it and able to offer practical advice?

I've been looking for another motorhome recently and I'd agree with Stinkers on the price of used vans/camper at the minute, people asking 10k for N Reg stuff you could have had for 4-6k last year.

Theres also a load if shitters out there which look nice enough on the photos but are rotten underneath when you go look at them, check the mot history for any structural issues.

Personally I wouldn't fancy going to the mattress in the back of a van for more then a pissed up weekend at a festival or something, it will noisy and cold in an uninsulated van. get a proper campervan or a decent conversion (or build on yourself)

if your buying a proper van, check if its go a recent habitation certificate, there a bit like an mot for motorhomes, while not legally required it gives you some confidence that its not got and damp issues and the gas/electrics are safe.

also invest in a damp meter, you can pick them up for a few quid on amazon, and use it to check round all the windows, seams, in the cabinets etc.

also the aires sites that martin734 mentioned, vary from a lay-by with a grey water disposal point and fresh water tap, to really nice sites that have electric hookup points and shower blocks. so unless you plan on staying on sites with facilities you need to factor that in your plans to bum it in the back of van with a mattress

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have stated now really isn't the time to pick anything cheap due to the staycation brigade.

If normality begins to return sometimes it can be worth keeping an eye out for supposed spares repairs jobs depending how handy you are with spanners, the other half is into her vans as much as I'm into my bikes.

She got a 2001 Renault Master ambulance conversion that had a cooked engine for £1500 last year, replacement engine was £600 (she's in the know with contacts for cheap recovery and her dad did the engine swap for her, I believe Iveco and Renault are interchangeable) so fully running and furnished van for £2100.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/9FlitMMJk-Tw4C3lnWhbNvt-zvxmwFT6lP882VgZRaKZhDYHpnIJdS2l5h1mCfngSf__EtCJf__Km51UBc9m-ANTzQf7St4

Basically the above (also had the to get it re-weighed to change to 3.5t for car license, chucking all the ambulance gear got it down to 3t but still has the quality wiring for appliances).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:24 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

The usefulness of a decent tarpaulin (some call it an awning) is hard to over-estimate. Tie an edge to the roof-rack, add a couple of poles with cross-ends, and some guylines (not all bungees!) and it's good. If it's wwwindy, peg the windward side down.

Agreed. We sleep in a canvas tent with loads of bedding (rug, blankets and a proper quilt). Vans are cold and damp.

Plus there is a motorbike in the back because who wants to drive a fucking van everywhere?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103966

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
We have a Mazda Bongo campervan that we use for weekends away and the occasional longer trip. Ours is a professional conversion with 240v electrics, fridge, sink, gas cooker and pull out bed. It has a lifting roof so there is room to stand up in.

Wotcha.

Another Bongo owner here - with the same mods. I bought mine 'cos following my accident I could no longer put up and get into a tent. I've fitted a tow bar so that the bike can come along with me on the trailer.

( Gives secret Bongo wave )

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/LWMEimages/weekend2018/2018week31.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to dip my paddle in.
The van and mattress idea will be horrible as it can get cold at night so camper vans have some wool or foam insulation to make them more comfortable.
Having a wash-up facility on-bpard is sweet too.
And windows, so you can gawk at any peasants under canvas Rip-Proof fabric in t' rain.
The 'able to stand up in' is very important too.

https://gnomadhome.com/van-build-insulation/#:~:text=We%20recommend%20using%20%C2%BE%E2%80%9D%20to,due%20to%20its%20compressive%20strength.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:

( Gives secret Bongo wave )

I bloody knew it! You lot are worse than the Masons.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:52 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing your own build, there is a club. They are helpful.

https://sbmcc.co.uk/

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice - thanks folks!

Looks like the smart move will be to wait until the 'staycation' folk have gotten fed up with their vans and are flogging them off en-mass. Sounds like getting a proper one will be better than the Berlingo with mattress option too....

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ldv-convoy-van-banana-engine/264852081699?hash=item3daa6a0c23:g:eBgAAOSwwX9fAMgY

camping?, bikes?, moonlight flits?, sexual orgies?
travelling workshop?
nae bother

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:00 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ldv-convoy-van-banana-engine/264852081699?hash=item3daa6a0c23:g:eBgAAOSwwX9fAMgY

travelling workshop?
nae bother

If it starts and drives exactly as it should, why is it being sold with a flat battery and no MOT?

I dimly recall there being an issue with registering them as a camper because of the dual rear wheels. Pretty sure you're restricted to 40mph on A-roads.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

travelling workshop?
nae bother

OOh that does look rough.. Even through the grainy pics you can see teh Dulux gloss touch-up (applied with a yard brush) and Isopon.. Shocked

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stinkwheel says, demand at the moment for campervans is high - bad time to buy them. If you've got a few years, wait for (hopefully) the passage of Covid and choice should be good.

Barring any Covid-related abnormalities in the market, good campervans will hold their value pretty well - there has always been a steady demand for them. They seem expensive for what they are but a properly fitted out campervan is a world away from a mattress in a van. It's the difference between somewhere the sleep and somewhere to live; the latter really matters when you're staying somewhere with no pub/bar nearby (bad planning arguably, but it'll happen) and the weather closes in.

We have hired three over the years, from a full on luxury motorhome to a van with a bench mattress and a fridge/sink thing (very basic, effectively a van). Yes, you get by with the latter and in our case we were in Iceland and out doing stuff from dawn until 8pm every day then feeding and sleeping, so it didn't matter, but for a longer and/or more relaxed holiday it wouldn't be brilliant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
As stinkwheel says, demand at the moment for campervans is high - bad time to buy them. If you've got a few years, wait for (hopefully) the passage of Covid and choice should be good.

Barring any Covid-related abnormalities in the market, good campervans will hold their value pretty well - there has always been a steady demand for them. They seem expensive for what they are but a properly fitted out campervan is a world away from a mattress in a van. It's the difference between somewhere the sleep and somewhere to live; the latter really matters when you're staying somewhere with no pub/bar nearby (bad planning arguably, but it'll happen) and the weather closes in.

We have hired three over the years, from a full on luxury motorhome to a van with a bench mattress and a fridge/sink thing (very basic, effectively a van). Yes, you get by with the latter and in our case we were in Iceland and out doing stuff from dawn until 8pm every day then feeding and sleeping, so it didn't matter, but for a longer and/or more relaxed holiday it wouldn't be brilliant.

£1000+/Week for a kind-of-a-small to medium sized In March 2021.

It gets exponentially more expansive as the season rolls out through the summer.

This is why most folk eff-off to Bennidorm on a plane with the proles. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1