BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please help! Hackney council notice of enforcement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 15:44 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Please help! Hackney council notice of enforcement Reply with quote

I sold a car in June 2019 and around October/November I started receiving multiple speeding tickets, DVLA threatening to take me to court for car being seen with no tax, bus lane tickets, no right turn tickets etc. from various organisations including a number of London Borough Councils, TFL, DVLA and the Police.

It appears the V5 got lost in the post and I was never removed as the registered keeper.

After many months of hard work, appealing every ticket and providing as much information as possible I managed to get them all cancelled except one - Hackney Council for a prohibited turn. They rejected my appeal on the grounds of lack of supporting evidence and gave me a charge certificate. I wrote to them again supplying further evidence and documentation from the Police and DVLA, they never wrote back, I never paid the fine and forgot all about it. Next thing I know I get a notice of enforcement letter from a company called Newlyn saying a court judgement has been made against me, I have failed to pay and I now have to pay them £278 to settle the debt. They're threatening to remove goods from the house.

I had absolutely no knowledge of this supposed court judgement that took place and was not given the opportunity to dispute it or attend court. Just get this letter out of the blue saying a judgement has been made and I have to pay the enforcement company / bailiffs.

I rung Newlyn expecting them to be sympathetic, I was very polite but all I got was a shitty attitude from the bloke on the phone saying I have to pay or they'll remove goods. Tough shit basically.

Do I have any options at this point or do I just have to stomach the £278 for someone else's actions?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not giving you any legal advice because this can be a very murky area. What I will say is don't sign anything, and don't agree anything with these debt collectors until you're sure of your legal position.

I have (sadly, through an old housemate) had some dealings with bailiffs coming round, and in some circumstances, it can be the case that as you have signed nothing with the debt collectors, and have no legal agreement with them, they have no legal hold on you, and you can tell them where to go.

Read up on your rights in this area. Debt collectors rely in many cases in people not understanding their rights, and what debt collection agencies can and cannot do.

For example, I answered the door to one and went off to find my housemate. As I hadn't locked the door, the bailiff walked right in behind me. This was legal.

What I can tell you is at this point, it probably doesn't matter whether you had the car at the time, or were actually liable for these charges. That time has passed. Now you've just got to deal with the consequences.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^What he said^^^

Especially the bit about knowing what they can or cannot do.

My son, many years ago got into debt, ignored it and we had bailiffs/debt collectors round. They said even though it was his debt, it was against the address (my house) so they were within their rights to remove anything I couldn't prove was bought by me. Shocked

Citizens Advice Bureau?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:14 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly you posted a V5 rather than doing it online.

I have got off multiple court appearances after selling bikes (I used to go through 2 a month, maybe more... boredom) by using;

Quote:
Interpretation Act 1978

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression ” give ” or ” send ” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

You posted it, even if not by registered tracked post, nor with a receipt of posting as you used a post box so you could not get a receipt of posting, it is deemed served and your end of the deal is done.

Unsure whether that has been tightened up to require said proof now, but you did what was deemed necessary to inform DVLA/SA/Capita/Whoever runs the cookie stand these days that you had sold a vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:46 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Paddy. wrote:
Unsure whether that has been tightened up to require said proof now, but you did what was deemed necessary to inform DVLA/SA/Capita/Whoever runs the cookie stand these days that you had sold a vehicle.

Problem wasn't with DVLA acknowledging my claim that I sold it previously, they were actually pretty decent about the whole thing and backdated the date of transfer on their system for me even though I wasn't really able to supply any real evidence that was I was saying was the truth. As the sale took place like 18 months previous I hadn't bothered to save any of the buyers information. He saw the ad on eBay but phoned me direct and I wasn't able to trace any texts between us and my call log doesn't go back that far. But yeah DVLA were pretty cool, and all the other organisations were pretty decent about it too in the end got the whole thing sorted with the exception of Hackney just being cuntish about the whole thing.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:48 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same thread on Moneysavingexpert and someone on there said they don't need a trial, once the council have decided to refuse my appeal there is no further recourse on my side and you get no opportunity to plead your case in court either by post or by person. Doesn't sound right but that certainly appears to be the case as I had no court paperwork regarding it whatsoever, just the charge certificate which I replied to by post and then nothing until months later I get a bailiff letter.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
You posted it, even if not by registered tracked post, nor with a receipt of posting as you used a post box so you could not get a receipt of posting, it is deemed served and your end of the deal is done.

Unless OP has grounds for appeal, as the judgement has been handed down (and ended up with the debt collectors), hasn't that horse already, unfortunately, bolted?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:55 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Unless OP has grounds for appeal, as the judgement has been handed down (and ended up with the debt collectors), hasn't that horse already, unfortunately, bolted?

I think so. Yes. What a fucked up system ay?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
I think so. Yes. What a fucked up system ay?

No disagreement here. Another aspect of the fuckedupness that I mentioned briefly in my first post, is that if the debt collectors are being employed by the council to collect the debt, they have the legal right to collect. However, if they have bought the debt from the council (a common practice), unless you sign something to that effect, you don't actually owe the debt collectors anything. You owed the council, not them.

Because of this, the debt collectors will do their level best to send you documentation that looks like it's from the council, to the maximum extent they can get away with, and will not admit at any point that you don't legally owe them anything.

So it's up to you to determine which is the case. And you'll need someone with a lot more knowledge than me to tell you for certain which it is. There are a load of people on the forum (including Paddy) with more experience with this sort of thing, so I'm hoping they'll chime in and correct any errors in what I'm telling you, but that's my understanding.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:43 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So HAS there actually been a court judgement?

Because there is a fairly big paper trail missing here if you were not informed about the court action, nor about the jusdgement.

So are they actually spinning you a line of bullshit? First off I'd want to know where and when this judgement took place. Then I'd want to confirm that with the court itself and have sight of the documentation associated with the case because you should have received a summons. You should also have received a payment notice from the court before baliffs got involved.

Courts will sit and rubber stamp hundreds of uncontested judgements of this type but there is still a procedure to follow. A summons should have been sent to either your current address, registered address or last known address. If it wasn't, you can apply to have the judgement set aside (if a judgement has actually been made and the recovery company aren't having you on).

What they are referring to is CCJ which will fuck up your credit rating too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the supposed charge notice have a case reference and an originating court location? You need an independent source of information, i.e. the courts to verify it's a real charge.

I'm pretty sure you can still file to dispute the charge if there's been some irregularity in procedure. I don't think even councils can go straight from fine to charge in one step.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:19 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Does the supposed charge notice have a case reference and an originating court location? You need an independent source of information, i.e. the courts to verify it's a real charge.

I'm pretty sure you can still file to dispute the charge if there's been some irregularity in procedure. I don't think even councils can go straight from fine to charge in one step.

Unless things have changed drastically recently...Or London is a special case. A court is going to want at minimum a letter before action before hearing a case. A summons is also a pretty important step. If you are being taken to court, you need to be given the chance to make representations.

I reckon there's good odds this baliff company have actually just bought a "debt" off the council and are making it look like there has been a CCJ. Read their letter verycarefully. Read what it actually says, not what it seems to mean.

"Failure to pay this fine could lead to your posessions being reposessed by order of the court." Doesn't mean there has been a court order, it means there could be.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 22:23 - 07 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the bastirts to do one.

Or better Ignore the fuq out of it until you get a court date.

Many Dept. Collection Agents are ex cons or other 'hardmen' Security types.

Criminal Underworld run these things.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:56 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse may have bolted, but if they are happy to prove the vehicle was in fact signed over before those dates, send that to Hackney explaining you did not own the car, here's proof, GG.

Hackney are trash in general. Out of all the boroughs we deal with, Hackney are the most incompetent retards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a general thing with unwieldy bureaucracies, once you end up going down one track it's very hard to stop or switch direction. Very much like a train that's free to board but you have to pay increasingly more money to get off at each station.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any option for a counter-claim? Seek damages for the financial and emotional consequences of the council's incompetence and negligence?

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do if you are sure you have the paperwork to cover it all is to arrange a meeting with your Councillor, the guy who represents you on the Council. ( you get to not bother to vote for him every 4 years or so) If you can get him to look over your documentation and get him to agree that its pretty obvious that the Council are being stupid there is a chance that he could kick some arse and get them to back off.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks so much for your input!!! I'm really sorry I've been off the radar for a couple of weeks it looks really ungrateful of me not to reply to all your helpful input.

Ok so I'm about 80 to 90% sure I haven't received any paperwork from the courts about a hearing or judgement. I called this company Newlyn and they spouted out exact dates etc. when notices were given and judgment made and they're pretty convincing that they have court authority.

I'm not the MOST efficient person at opening my mail but it does generally all get opened eventually (usually in one bulk load like once a month :-/ doesn't look good on my part at this point does it!!!).

Paperwork I have to hand is:

1) 21/11/2019 penalty charge notice from Hackney

2) 02/12/2019 notice of rejection of representation from Hackney

3) 07/01/2020 charge certificate from Hackney

4) 03/09/2020 notice of enforcement from Newlyn

That's it. Nothing between January and September. Nothing about a court hearing or a judgement being ruled. Nothing! Like I said I'm not 100% positive some of the mail hasn't gone missing but I'm pretty sure there would have been SOMETHING in my possession between January and September as there must have been multiple letters saying a court hearing has been scheduled, given opportunity to make representation, judgement being made in my absence, official court paperwork or something like that but got nothing.

What I've actually done now is followed the instructions on the notice of rejection of representation to appeal it on londontribunals.gov.uk although they say it has to be submitted with 28 days and it's now 294 days (LOL) it still let me lodge the application and give an explanation as to why the application has been filed late. Seems to me is if a judgement had been made the website wouldn't even have let me submit an appeal??? So I filled it out and made an apology for my lateness explaining this one fell through the cracks as I have been inundated dozens and dozens with charges and fines from various different authorities and organisations and they've all been appealed and accepted except this one. Hopefully they will take pity on me as it's no exaggeration to say I'm actually a victim of someone else's criminal activity here. I've also emailed Newlyn saying I've lodged an appeal in the hope the judgement (if one exists) will be overturned.

Here is both sides of the letter from Newlyn:

https://i.ibb.co/98Xbt4J/CCI21092020-00003.png
https://i.ibb.co/r3FzQk2/CCI21092020-00004.png

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:23 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't been to court. they are trying to scare you.

It will probably work.

Just move house and sell the vehicle.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It will probably work.

Sold the vehicle in June 2018 LOL

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:27 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It will probably work.

Sold the vehicle in June 2018 LOL

Just move house then.

They haven't been to court and the history with the police with it no court is going to say it's your debt. The debt isn't enfoprcable by a baliff or counts as a county court judgement until that happens. Just ignore.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Thinking

Just my opinion but that paper is worthless. All it says is that you owe the council money for something and they're toddling along to enforce it. They're perfectly entitled to do so either under contract from the council or buy purchasing the debt. What they can't do is legally enforce it without evidence of the associated Warrant of Control.

Thing is: again, lots of steps have been missed here. A court hearing to assess your ability to pay for example.

If you get contacted by these Newlyn ppl again I'd politely request a reference for the court case and a copy of the Warrant of Control. If they can't at least provide the latter then it's probably worth contacting the police. Implying they have one but unable to provide it is arguably fraud.

Assume everything they say is a lie unless they have the paperwork to back it up.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
They haven't been to court.

So the box that says "Enforcement Details" isn't actually evidence of a court judgment?

I don't understand what a "Warrant" is - are you saying it isn't something that hasn't been ordered by the court. How does that work, then? Even with a "warrant", they can't force to you pay or take your stuff?

I'm genuinely thick beyond this point. Letters from Newlyn and/or [who are those other herberts? Thinking ] - terrify me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:05 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's illegal to issue a warrant of control without a judgement. It goes CCJ, then if you fail to pay up for the CCJ, they can THEN apply for a warrant of control to seize goods. You should have had a summons before a court case then a noticeof the judgement after it.

The presence of said warrant is essential to proceedings. No warrant, no entry, call 999.

Note it is not unheard of for baliffs to fake one. It would come on court headed paper if it is genuine because it is issued by the court, not the debt recovery company. If they do try it on, you just won because all bets are then off and the "debt" is likely to be cancelled.

It would appear there is an official register of judgements. Plug your details in here and see if you come up. Costs £6. Might unearth any other issues you are unaware of too?

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
They haven't been to court.

So the box that says "Enforcement Details" isn't actually evidence of a court judgment?

I don't understand what a "Warrant" is - are you saying it isn't something that hasn't been ordered by the court. How does that work, then? Even with a "warrant", they can't force to you pay or take your stuff?

I'm genuinely thick beyond this point. Letters from Newlyn and/or [who are those other herberts? Thinking ] - terrify me.

Anyone can print warrant on their letter/form.

It has to have the seal of the magistrate's court where the case was heard and fine/s imposed.

Scare tactics.

Hackney is the criminal underworld of Englund.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2