Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fastest you've been?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Fastest you've been? Reply with quote

What's the fastest you've been on your bike (on a closed circuit of course)? Was able to hit 184 mph (GPS verified - speedo was pretty well calibrated, and showed 299kph but revs were still climbing). Was scary trying to get it back down again before the tarmac ran out Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:03 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try police but you'll have to do better than that to get any admissions from us. Razz

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:20 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 160 indicated on a Bandit 1250. Had 130 out of my car, but it had loads left, would like to see how quick it can go but their aren't many places to do it. I reckon it could top 160. Have been eyeing up VMAX events but they seem expensive for what they are (£400)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:21 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an Airfield riding day at RAF Odiham, and I was near the top end of my rev range in 6th on my CBR. We had to tape up our speedo so I'm not sure of the actual speed, but I estimate it to be between 140 and 150mph. I believe I've been faster at Snetterton on a bigger bike but I can't remember specific occasions. Maybe I went on my Daytona 955i?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not fastest but memorable, in 1991.. 120 mph (on the clock) on a pre-divvy XJ600. I-O-M mountain section trying to keep up with my mates on FZ750 and FZR600. The roads had just re-opened and we weren't far behind the 'Roads Open' travelling marshall.
I was concentrating hard (as you might) when a ZZR1100 came past, two-up and on the back wheel.. I kid you not.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:38 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

176 but the private road started to curve too much to continue at that speed.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Perhaps not fastest but memorable, in 1991.. 120 mph (on the clock) on a pre-divvy XJ600. I-O-M mountain section trying to keep up with my mates on FZ750 and FZR600. The roads had just re-opened and we weren't far behind the 'Roads Open' travelling marshall.
I was concentrating hard (as you might) when a ZZR1100 came past, two-up and on the back wheel.. I kid you not.

Nothing quite like being put in your place like that when you think you're cracking it Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen over an indicated 150 on an late generation ZZR600 - not sure how much I believe that, but in theory they're capable of it. Excellent bike anyway. That was a long time back now.

Current car will supposedly do 155 "limited". I'd be very surprised but who knows.

They do quite regular top speed test days at Elvington which I'm sort of tempted by and I don't think cost that much, but I'd want to bring both the bike and the car and it's a long way from home for me!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
A100man wrote:

Nothing quite like being put in your place like that when you think you're cracking it Laughing

Had the same thing going into Windy Corner when an S1000RR stormed past me. Bit of a dick move actually I was just about to turn in Laughing

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

145 (indicated) on the VFR. Honestly it all feels the same for me over about 100, so I've never bothered to repeat/exceed it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

155 indicated on the GPZ. Felt like there was more, but there was a roundabout on the closed circuit.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An indicated 180 on an FZR1000EXUP.
The runway ( Smile ) I was on came over a crest, and there it stretched out before me, straight and empty. Right, let's see what it'll do, thinks me. So I pinned it. Got to about 120 and tried to tuck behind the screen...and couldn't because of the wind blast! So I eased off a bit, then tucked down, and pinned it again.

Fastest I'd seen on a clock before then was 150 on my 750 Turbo, but that was probably quite an inaccurate reading - Kawasakis in particular were notorious for optimistic speedos at the top end back then as I recall it. So I was quite impressed by an indicated 180, especially as the bike was rock steady and well behaved at that speed, no suggestions of a weave, not fazed by any bumps or other runway ( Smile ) irregularities.

Fastest I've been since then, which was about 1990, is a little over an indicated 160 on a couple of the Fazer thous I've had. On my current one, the needle was still creeping slowly up after that figure, but I ran out of available runway ( Smile ) and had to ease off again.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Honestly it all feels the same for me over about 100, so I've never bothered to repeat/exceed it.

This. I've not had a bike that can hit three digits some time now, and my reactions wouldn't be up to the task if I did, but I always worked on the basis that at 100 I could see a brick on the motorway and maybe avoid it, at 120 I'd see the brick but still hit it, and at 130 I'd be thinking "what the fuck was that?".

Nowadays if I go over 70 I wonder what's going to detach first, part of the bike or part of my body.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

140, 2 up on the A39 between Plymouth and Exeter on my first FJ1200. I was following some flash car who tried to leave me behind. I missed my planned exit because no way was I going to be able to slow down in time.

Repeated it solo on another FJ1200 on the A13 years later just to see if it was how I remembered.

Got it out of my system back then, don't really go over a 100 nowadays.

Edit Just looked on a map, it was the A38.

Last edited by yen_powell on 20:55 - 08 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:09 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw 165 on the clocks on my last gen VFR750.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 140mph on an unrestricted German autobahn on a bike (my old Thundercat).

Fastest I have piloted any machine is around 170mph on a standing mile in an Aston Martin V12 Vantage+.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve only ever done 70mph !

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
140, 2 up on the A39 between Plymouth and Exeter on my first FJ1200. I was following some flash car who tried to leave me behind. I missed my planned exit because no way was I going to be able to slow down in time.

Oh god, that reminds me.

When I was ~20 or so, maybe 21 at most, I had an old CBR600F. It was a great bike and I loved it very much, but I rode it like a prat a lot.

Being that I'd dropped out of college twice and my only real experience was several years working retail, it came as a massive surprise to every single person who knew me that I somehow made it through the first two or three stages of the interview process to become a fireman. The final interview stage was a formal sit down interview with the station and area chiefs. I was informed that only 3% of applicants make it to that stage.

It's the middle of summer, roasting hot. I stayed at my dads place the night before as it was a little closer to the fire station I was to interview at in Reigate. Suited up under my textiles, with shoes and a jacket in my backpack, I was roasting hot and sweating before I even got on to the bike, and then to top it off I left a little later than planned and so was only going to make to the interview with a few minutes to spare to get stash my bike gear somewhere at the other end.

You'd think that would be enough for me to cop on and take it seriously, but 20 year old me was an idiot.

On the way to the interview I ended up side by side with a BMW M3 at some traffic lights. She pulled away fast from the lights and I felt compelled to play along, only I followed her onto a slip road onto the M25 instead of going straight across a roundabout - it was far too late to turn back by the time I had realised.

With about 10 minutes to get to the station, I did myself a nice 21 mile loop around the M25 and M23, all the way down to Gatwick airport and back. Needless to say I arrived late, stressed, hot, sweating, angry, and generally not in a good state to do an interview.

I didn't get the job.

Edit: Hey! I found my thread from the time - turns out I was 19:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=169544

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

183 (GPS after the fact, fuck knows what the clocks said).

165 (GPS) 2 up.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short penis. I've only managed 134mph indicated. Had my nephew on the back wanted to scare him ended up scaring myself.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all I'm sayin'

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 yr old ZZR1100, Autobahn, '97. Maxed out, indicated north of 180, so probably 165 in reality. Shortly after that, coming out of a restricted zone and building speed again, but still about an indicated 140, I was passed by something vaguely Audi-shaped like I was standing still. It was my first, and probably last, experience doing that sort of speed and see something gaining on me in the outside lane, flashing it's lights.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fast as a modified Hayabusa can go.

https://i.imgur.com/1cpcNUi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XNS1GNr.jpg?1

On a runway obviously. Never on the motorway, because many kittens would be killed.

And we don't like dead kittens.

Last edited by Fisty on 20:02 - 08 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I’ve only ever done 70mph !

In a 20 zone, sure Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5