Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which bike for dodgy knees

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Which bike for dodgy knees Reply with quote

Cant think of a better title. Im a returning biker (well ive been riding a scooter for years) but used to have 500s. 650s back in the day.

I started a thread in July when I was looking at stuff like the KTM Duke 390, CB500, GS310 etc but its all gone a bit pear shaped.

What I have discovered test riding a few is my Arthritis in my knees is much more of a factor than I thought it would be. I went to look at a BMW GS 310 today and I managed to get on it but couldnt get off the bloody thing without help. Rear seat pillion was too high. Anyway the bikes I have been looking at are way to cramped for me and the wife.

The DUKE 390 was also awful for me because of the cramped position and too small a seat for the pillion.

Someone suggested a Honda NC700 Automatic.

I tried a Honda Sh300 scooter the the other day which was fine but it was totally "Meh". My little honda Vision 110 is more fun.

I just want something that will put a smile on my face with a bit of grunt that I can easily jump on and off. Budget £1500-3500.

While I was out today I saw a 1980 Kawazaki Z650 which reminded my off my youth, I had one for a while one summer. It looked like a moped compared to some of the newer bikes and I could easily have hopped on and off that but it wasnt for sale.

Its kind of a last ditch attempt really before I just resign myself to being a step through scooter rider for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't totally write-off scooters, a mate of mine with a back problem just got a Honda X-adv and that thing can hustle! Press the sport button.

Maybe have a look at an ER6?

You may find this site helpful:
https://cycle-ergo.com/

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Which bike for dodgy knees Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Cant think of a better title. Im a returning biker (well ive been riding a scooter for years) but used to have 500s. 650s back in the day.

I started a thread in July when I was looking at stuff like the KTM Duke 390, CB500, GS310 etc but its all gone a bit pear shaped.

What I have discovered test riding a few is my Arthritis in my knees is much more of a factor than I thought it would be. I went to look at a BMW GS 310 today and I managed to get on it but couldnt get off the bloody thing without help. Rear seat pillion was too high. Anyway the bikes I have been looking at are way to cramped for me and the wife.

The DUKE 390 was also awful for me because of the cramped position and too small a seat for the pillion.

Someone suggested a Honda NC700 Automatic.

I tried a Honda Sh300 scooter the the other day which was fine but it was totally "Meh". My little honda Vision 110 is more fun.

I just want something that will put a smile on my face with a bit of grunt that I can easily jump on and off. Budget £1500-3500.

While I was out today I saw a 1980 Kawazaki Z650 which reminded my off my youth, I had one for a while one summer. It looked like a moped compared to some of the newer bikes and I could easily have hopped on and off that but it wasnt for sale.

Its kind of a last ditch attempt really before I just resign myself to being a step through scooter rider for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts?

I had a GS310...pile of shit , too tall, gearing is all wrong, brakes are awful etc etc.
I have a CB500 x, very very nice, easy to get on and off too.
I also have a Honda Forza 300 scooter, very quick bike to 70 mph
super cumfy and very nice to ride too
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:41 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruisers... you know you want to Wink

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Don't totally write-off scooters

This.

BMW c600 Sport is supposed to be great too.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:16 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Bandit 1250 in part because of my dodgy knees. It works for me. I've also ridden the Honda NC750 which is also good in that regard as is the Yamaha MT07.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro has dodgy knees and gets on well with his TDM850 suspect there are more modern equivalents such as MTs suggested.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Will have a look at some of those models.

The max budget (at the moment) is £3500. I think thats as much as I would get past the chancellor who to be honest is already pretty pissed off with the whole thing Mr. Green That might rule out some of the more powerful scoots.

The other worry is weight and manoeuvring the thing in and out of the garage. I currently just leave the little scooter on the end of the drive. Nobody will nick it but it does normally go in the garage at the end of a gravel drive. I suspect ill have to reverse it in as its quite tight and I wont be able to turn it round so Im a little concerned of shoving something heavy about.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

F650GS? The older ones if height is an issue.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one, really like the Honda CB 500 F. The knee angle bend is quite comfortable. FYI, there is an online tool you can use to estimate riding position. https://cycle-ergo.com/. You type in the bike model and your height and inseam, and the app then estimates your forward lean, hip angle and knee angle. Click on "add a motorcycle" and you can then click back and forth to visualize body position between different motorcycles. I use this app to compare different bikes against ones I am familiar with.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
I for one, really like the Honda CB 500 F. The knee angle bend is quite comfortable. FYI, there is an online tool you can use to estimate riding position. https://cycle-ergo.com/. You type in the bike model and your height and inseam, and the app then estimates your forward lean, hip angle and knee angle. Click on "add a motorcycle" and you can then click back and forth to visualize body position between different motorcycles. I use this app to compare different bikes against ones I am familiar with.

Thats really useful thanks

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER6f gave me knee ache after around the two hours point.
MT09, no such issues, loads of room and not dull as ditch water either. YMMV.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202008272985678?advertising-location=at_bikes&price-to=3500&sort=price-asc&radius=40&cc-from=400&cc-to=1000&postcode=dl117hh&page=1

Someone mentioned the ER6 which clearly is a different beast but the ER5 looks like it would be easy to handle and get on and off.

Trouble is the reviews mention it being prone to electrical issues and a fuel petcock issue. Brakes not that hot either by the sound of it.

Cheap though.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just position and seat height or is weight vital?

My ZZR 600 is low, easy to throw a leg over, however wet it weighs 210kg, carries it well, easy to move about but there's no escaping the actual weight if you need to pick it up, etc. You can pick them up for peanuts.

If you are near Wiltshire you are welcome to sit on it and see.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Any thoughts on this? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202008272985678?advertising-location=at_bikes&price-to=3500&sort=price-asc&radius=40&cc-from=400&cc-to=1000&postcode=dl117hh&page=1
Someone mentioned the ER6 which clearly is a different beast but the ER5 looks like it would be easy to handle and get on and off.

I would not hesitate to get a lightweight or middleweight Kawasaki. The EX250 and Ex500 bikes that I owned were well built and reliable. The ER5 should be no different. You can reasonably expect 55-60MPG, the bike should easily attain 100,000 miles with routine maintenance.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I honestly dont know if the weight will be an issue. My main concern was wheeling it down our narrow gravel drive and into the garage but mostly ill probably leave it at the end of the drive outside, in summer at least. Thats where my current scooter is now. Maybe Im worrying unnecessarily.

Back to scooters I am wondering about trying one of these.

https://tinyurl.com/y2zxlspa

I think they are 218 Kg which is way heavier than I was thinking about but I guess I would just have to have a look at one and wheel it about a bit. Riding it wont be a problem and it has the added bonus of me being able to shift my legs about a bit as they do start to hurt if I have them in the same position all the time.

Mad idea?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:

The max budget (at the moment) is £3500. I think thats as much as I would get past the chancellor who to be honest is already pretty pissed off with the whole thing Mr. Green That might rule out some of the more powerful scoots.

The other worry is weight and manoeuvring the thing in and out of the garage. I currently just leave the little scooter on the end of the drive. Nobody will nick it but it does normally go in the garage at the end of a gravel drive. I suspect ill have to reverse it in as its quite tight and I wont be able to turn it round so Im a little concerned of shoving something heavy about.

Goldwings have a reverse. It's brilliant. Thumbs Up

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
barryd wrote:

Goldwings have a reverse. It's brilliant. Thumbs Up

Getting seriously big though when you think I started out considering KTM Duke 390s etc Laughing

I guess I am just going to have to keep looking and trying different bikes. I like the idea of a scooter as I love ours its just finding something with enough grin factor. The little ER5 looks like I would fit on it ok but the reviews put me off a bit. The ER6 looks a bit of a beast and might scare the living daylights out of the wife. Honda cb500 might be worth a go if I can find one near me.

Trouble is we are in the back end now and I am a bit of a fair weather rider. I guess though that big Silverwing will offer a lot of weather protection. It just looks a bit lardy to me.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
The ER6 looks a bit of a beast and might scare the living daylights out of the wife..

Mate of mine has an ER6F, he's a new rider and finds it a friendly, confidence inspiring sort of bike, it's unlikely to scare the cat or offend the neighbours. If you're considering one, I'd say at least go and have a sit on one, my mate has nothing but good things to say really.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my ER6f for approx two years, easy to ride, not too heavy, good on fuel. If I'm honest I was a little bored with it
before I'd had it a year. The MT09 it was replaced with is MUCH more of a handful, 30 ponies more oomph give or take
and same kerb weight, possibly even a few kilos lighter. It's a lot more eager than the ER6f was. Laughing

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Whats the ER6 like for getting on and off? Im 5ft ten but as said struggle with mobility.

Whats the pillion like?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an er6 for 4 years, commuting, day runs, eekends away (300 mile days at times).

I liked it, low and easy to ride. I actually found the engine reasonably peppy for what it was. It's a great little commuter.

I don't think it's one for folk with dodgy knees though. I'm not tall and don't have knee issues but I found it could cause me some knee pain after a couple of hours. Nothing horrendous but noticable.

It was totally reliable, easy to work on and (with ACF) survived winter well. The budget suspension was it's biggest issue but that was only ever an issue when pushing it or riding undulating, bumpy roads.

Overall, I liked the bike. I hated riding with a pillion though.

The MT09 is a different beast all together. Much more lairy, much more rabid and much more fun! Possibly my favourite engine ever in a road bike. Not the quickest, but entertaining as hell!

On another note, you could get a MK1 VFR800X Crossrunner in budget. A bit on the heavy side (disappears when moving) but smooth and easy to ride and the power isn't overwhelming at lower revs. Takes if nicely above 6k when the VTEC kicks in but it's all very manageable. A much better bike than the er6, more comfortable, just easy to ride and great with a pillion. Tad thirsty though.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Thanks. Whats the ER6 like for getting on and off? Im 5ft ten but as said struggle with mobility.

Whats the pillion like?

The seat is pretty low, (I'm 5'11 myself) and my 2014 model had a two part seat so the pillion had their own slightly
raised seat cushion. My wife was lots more comfortable on the Kawasaki than on the Yamaha. https://storage.kawasaki.eu/public/kawasaki.eu/en-EU/model/14EX650F_44SGRNDRS2CG_C.png

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Don't totally write-off scooters

This.

BMW c600 Sport is supposed to be great too.

I'll third that.

My 600 Silverwing is a hoot - will do 3 figure speeds easily (on the private runway of your choice) handles better than it has any right to and the bonus is, for those of us with aches and pains, the maxi scooters tend to have plenty of room to move about, so leg/bum positioning can be varied to suit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
barryd wrote:

Whats the pillion like?

The seat is pretty low, (I'm 5'11 myself) and my 2014 model had a two part seat so the pillion had their own slightly
raised seat cushion. My wife was lots more comfortable on the Kawasaki than on the Yamaha.

Mine was the earlier model (2010). Didn't find it uncomfortable but I found the handling was badly effected by a pillion, even with preload jacked up (my wife is approx 70kg). It seemed to go really light at the front which made the bike want to wander and it wasn't stable in corners. No such issue with my Crossrunner or CX500, barely notice her on those bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2