Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion go nuclear!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Extinction Rebellion go nuclear! Reply with quote

Oh, OK, so I lied.

"A former Extinction Rebellion (XR) spokeswoman left the environmental group to campaign for nuclear power because she says it is the only way to deal with the climate crisis"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54103163

She's right.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I heard that Priti Patel plans to nuke them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Extinction Rebellion go nuclear! Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Oh, OK, so I lied.

"A former Extinction Rebellion (XR) spokeswoman left the environmental group to campaign for nuclear power because she says it is the only way to deal with the climate crisis"

She's right.

Nah, I reckon she was tempted away by the nuclear spokesperson's access to a better make-up department...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Extinction Rebellion go nuclear! Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Oh, OK, so I lied.

She's right.

Nah, I reckon she was tempted away by the nuclear spokesperson's access to a better make-up department...

She needs more than makeup!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c7/33/60/c7336011668842b0ccc8f19fe0bcdc05--paper-bags-agora.jpg

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wub
She is flirting I can still tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Actually, I heard that Priti Patel plans to nuke them.

She plans to deal with lots of things.... Still waiting for any kind of action though.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Extinction Rebellion go nuclear! Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Oh, OK, so I lied.

She's right.

She is indeed right.
The same XR people wanting a return to a 16th century zero fossil fuels environment will be wondering why their light doesn't turn on (or comes on/off intermittently)

I did a study of this for my MSc and concluded that offshore wind backed up by Nuclear (to solve intermittency issues) shows promise for the UK.

OK.ok I wouldn't want to live next door to a Nuke plant but maybe we can put them away somewhere small (like dimensions 4-11 in string theory)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viable in Iceland where there is an abundance of thermal springs and the like.

Not viable in UK where any drilling has the nimbys howling at the moon.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Viable in Iceland where there is an abundance of thermal springs and the like.

Not viable in UK where any drilling has the nimbys howling at the moon.

The graphic could be for any source of heat. I had a (very) little to do with geothermal in the south-west once. Geothermal could easily be viable in various parts of the UK; the South-West, Cardiff, Glasgow, etc. The Southampton District Energy Scheme has been in use for some time now.

They're generally taking advantage of aquifers or "the old men's (flooded) workings", not as in new "hot rocks" projects. In Cornwall, the situation is a little different, since some of the heat is radiogenic. All very interesting.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this about 5 times in various places on here.

Sustainable Energy, Without the Hot Air

It makes it bloody obvious that the answer lies in:

- A solar panel array the size of Wales
- Hydropower plants on every possible location in Wales and Scotland
- Tidal power where we can fit it
- Wind farms everywhere

or

- Nuclear power.

Well, a combination of those is obviously possible, but nuclear power was by far and away the best choice for fast, abundant and easily managed energy.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fukushima was a once in a lifetime accident. Something no one envisioned happening.

Chernobyl was what happens when the proper controls aren't in place.

Even so, that's just 2 major accidents in 70 years of nuclear power generation. Worst case scenarios say between 4000 and 16000 died because of nuclear exposure. Fukushima, no one died because of the meltdown although a lot obviously did because of the tidal wave.

In the oil industry we have killed many more than that over the same time frame and no one cares because nuclear - 'It's a bomb waiting to go off'. Rolling Eyes

We actually had the same arguments when Liquefied Natural Gas carriers started operating. 'If they blow up they'll flatten a city' panic headlines. Now most of the western worlds power stations are powered by LNG shipped in in 'floating bombs'. Rolling Eyes

Sometimes giving people too much say is detrimental to sensible progress.

Anyway XR stooges will soon stop moaning when they can't recharge their mobile phones.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus with Chernobyl , if you watch the excellent Box Set, you see a lot of problems arose from Soviet cover-ups.
As if such a disaster would occur in the glorious Utopian society.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Plus with Chernobyl , if you watch the excellent Box Set, you see a lot of problems arose from Soviet cover-ups.

Of course if the looney lefties behind XR, BLM etc get their way, there'll be no electricity whatsoever and we'll all be sitting feeding damp twigs into bonfires - that's about all the tech these folks will be able to figure out for themselves. If you have no incentives like capitalism provides, you get shit workers who can't see any point in being conscientious, and industry grinds to a halt. But that's what the stupid twats think they want, isn't it? Rolling Eyes Until they get it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I've posted this about 5 times in various places on here.

Sustainable Energy, Without the Hot Air

It makes it bloody obvious that the answer lies in:

- A solar panel array the size of Wales
- Hydropower plants on every possible location in Wales and Scotland
- Tidal power where we can fit it
- Wind farms everywhere

or

- Nuclear power.

Well, a combination of those is obviously possible, but nuclear power was by far and away the best choice for fast, abundant and easily managed energy.

National Public Radio over here did a really interesting six part series on Fukushima last week. One episode was specifically about the drive to implement solar power after Japan shut down all it's nuke power stations following the accident.
The authorities scraped the topsoil off the land over a huge area and are piling it up on the site of a town near the plant.
This left farms with no topsoil so takeup of solar made sense as there was no other way to use the land productively.
Japan is slowly reopening it's nuke plants and reverting back but the accident has kicked up anti-nuclear sentiment so it'll be interesting to see how it maps out over the coming years.
The accident totally fucked up Japan's plans to kick fossil fuels down the road.

Here's one of the transcripts, the other's are easily found on t'internet (NPR Fukushima works as a search) for anyone looking for some light reading.
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/20/904354757/after-2011-disaster-fukushima-embraced-solar-power-the-rest-of-japan-has-not

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am generally pro-nuclear, having spent a life in science, but...

Polarbear wrote:
Fukushima was a once in a lifetime accident. Something no one envisioned happening.

True enough, so if you could just let us know when the next unforeseen incident will be, that would be useful.

Cascade failures can happen any time - just like radioactive decay, you can't predict when the next one will happen.

Polarbear wrote:
Chernobyl was what happens when the proper controls aren't in place.

Good that we have completely removed people from the processes then, to prevent such mistakes and oversights. Oh, wait...

Polarbear wrote:
Even so, that's just 2 major accidents in 70 years of nuclear power generation. Worst case scenarios say between 4000 and 16000 died because of nuclear exposure. Fukushima, no one died because of the meltdown although a lot obviously did because of the tidal wave.

Those are the big, recent ones but there have been dozens of accidents with immediate and long-term casualties.

Polarbear wrote:
In the oil industry we have killed many more than that over the same time frame and no one cares because nuclear - 'It's a bomb waiting to go off'. Rolling Eyes

True enough, but then the scale of the oil and gas industry is significantly bigger.

Polarbear wrote:
We actually had the same arguments when Liquefied Natural Gas carriers started operating. 'If they blow up they'll flatten a city' panic headlines. Now most of the western worlds power stations are powered by LNG shipped in in 'floating bombs'. Rolling Eyes

A significant portion of that gas comes in by pipe, but it's a fair point - increased safety and control measures in LNG mean it is safer to transport.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just across the English Channel: (source: world-nuglear.org):

Nuclear Power in France (Updated July 2020)

o - France derives about 75% of its electricity from nuclear energy, due to a long-standing policy based on energy security. Government policy is to reduce this to 50% by 2035.
o - France is the world's largest net exporter of electricity due to its very low cost of generation, and gains over €3 billion per year from this.
o - The country has been very active in developing nuclear technology. Reactors and especially fuel products and services have been a significant export.
o - About 17% of France's electricity is from recycled nuclear fuel.

They seem to want to close their oldest 1970s plants, and replace them with other sources. This seems to be a solely political decision, and they admit that they will have to build some new reactors to replace existing capacity.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look at it as nuclear power = wandering around holding a grenade with the pin taken out. Compact, convenient... and fine till you have a momentary slip-up or lapse of concentration.

Whereas fossil fuel = frog slowly boiling in the pot.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Of course if the looney lefties behind XR, BLM.

Oy, I'm a leftie don't try and associate me with the XR, BLM lot. Shocked

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure Groups really need to spend more time studying Brand Placement and especially Marketing Strategies.

They pop up in the most unwelcoming places and their Frontline folk aye look shockingly un-marketable.

Whit's her name Lights looks like a bloke who wants to look like a bird that looks bloke-ish. Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Of course if the looney lefties behind XR, BLM etc get their way, there'll be no electricity whatsoever and we'll all be sitting feeding damp twigs into bonfires - that's about all the tech these folks will be able to figure out for themselves. If you have no incentives like capitalism provides, you get shit workers who can't see any point in being conscientious, and industry grinds to a halt. But that's what the stupid twats think they want, isn't it? Rolling Eyes Until they get it.

I might be wrong on this (so correct me) but I believe Three Mile Island had the potential to be a much bigger disaster than Chernobyl.
The fact that it wasn't is credit to an open book, free speech way of dealing with the crisis. Information freely communicated, Rapid mitigation policies launched, voluntary evacuation etc etc.

That just didn't happen with Chernobyl. The priority was not making the USSR look weak in the eyes of its enemies. Oh sure, thousands of proletariats die but it's for the greater glory, and saves doing another Stalin style round-up.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Of course if the looney lefties behind XR, BLM.

Oy, I'm a leftie don't try and associate me with the XR, BLM lot. Shocked

You're only about 3mm further Left than anyone else on here Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a proper leftie. George Monbiot on XR and democracy. I don't like the XR mentality but I'm pretty sure I have more in common with any member of or supporter of XR than I do with the rich oligarchy that have more direct influence over our government than we as ordinary voters do.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/16/extinction-rebellion-britain-democracy-protest-westminster
He makes a good point for the call from XR for citizens assemblies and more involvement of citizens in budgetary matters.

What bothers me about XR is its attempt to use hystrionics to garner support, its no better than the rights scare mongering over immigration for instance. Using a creepy 16 year old with a disturbing resemblance to a Hitler Youth doesn't help either.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Monbiot is a proper bell-end, but I do get his point. It can equally be applied to the Right however, who also feel disenfranchised.

What he fails to grasp is that one movement begets the other. XR, justifiable as its cause is, promotes an equal reaction in those that are happy to see the planet slide down the pan because they think it is someone else's fault and therefore not their responsibility. The 'Clarkson' mentality, if you like. Dressing in curtains and describing the death of whales via the medium of mime, whilst appealing to an arty-farty middle-class, isn't going to convince the majority.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2