Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Step through sidekick

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 07:46 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Step through sidekick Reply with quote

Hey gang, long time no see. I hope everyone is well.
I've still got my beloved TRX850 and occasionally I'll get it out just to enjoy a ride, I no longer commute as I'm a self employed vehicle detailer now.

My best friend has a Raleigh Runabout which sadly has become more hassle than it's worth to restore, so he's selling it and replacing with something fun and retro. Small capacity, probably step through, Suzuki or Honda.
If i can get the funds together I'd join him, so we can go cruising at the weekends. So for less than £1000, what would be the best options for something that matches the criteria? First thing that comes to mind is the Honda C90 but I have no idea how fast any of these go. Keeping up with traffic is a must. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda C90 about 55mph top speed. More comfortable in the high 40's/low 50's

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of C90s at least.
Don't see the appeal and the price shot up a while ago.
They're sluggish, handle horribly thanks to leading link front suspension and three gears means they chug along.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the C90 if you need to keep up with traffic. My last one used to plateau at about 45mph, which is not a nice place to be on modern roads.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be step through? My little '77 CG fits pretty much all your criteria bar that one. It'll do 55mph on the flat all day, 60 if you tuck in and streamline. Great fun to ride, I've taken to commuting home via twistier roads, just to see how far I dare to get it to lean. Starts first kick every time and if/when it will need anything doing, it'll cost pennies to fix. Only downside is the lights are a bit shit.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Yamaha Xenter 125 (Moto GP livery) on a 13 plate for 750 quid. I've had 65+ out of that two up. Monoshock,
fuel injection, linked brakes (front disc/rear drum), decent lights, comfy all day seat, loads of pillion space and some
useful storage underneath. It's a fun little whizzer. Not retro admittedly...

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/YAMAHAXenter125MotoGP-4461_2.jpg

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Step through sidekick Reply with quote

Aside from the retro angle, the obvious answer is a Honda Innova/Wave. It's a modernised C90, conventional forks, disk brake on the front, EFI, staggering fuel economy. They come up pretty regularly, either abused ex-pizza delivery or ex-"strapped to the back of a motorhome". Cheap, lots of parts, easy to fix obviously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Wave_series

The closest to the idea of a Raleigh Runabout these days would probably be whatever bicycle you fancy (big wheel tourer?) with an (blasphemy alert) electric kit on it. If you want to hit 30mph it's not going to be road legal mind.

Either option is available for less than a grand.

They actually do a modern-retro version of the C90, though I don't know why anyone would buy one, and you're definitely not getting one for a grand. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/super-cub-c125/2019/

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 22:36 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I am a sucker for the fact it looks a bit shit/funny and I just like the idea I wouldn't care about it much. The modern stuff just doesn't have the same character.
I must admit I loved the RXS100 and the GP100 I had some years back, maybe I'll look into those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:47 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugeot jetforce. Fukkin supercharger.

Like Rocking horse poo though

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

I must admit I loved the RXS100 and the GP100 I had some years back, maybe I'll look into those.

Back in the day I had a Yamaha YB100 and a couple of Suzuki A100’s
Great fun little bikes Thumbs Up

Any of those mentioned above would be my choice.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I guess I am a sucker for the fact it looks a bit shit/funny and I just like the idea I wouldn't care about it much. The modern stuff just doesn't have the same character.

Problem is so does everyone else.. hence a grand probably won't get you a C90 of any merit.

I picked up my A100 for 170 quid as a non runner about 6-7 years ago. needed a new (second hand obvs) tank as it had rotted through standing, new points, tyres, some seals, carbe clean etc.. and it was off.. but like all things I would expect to pay double that or more today for the same bike.

On the C90 theme I also had a Chinese Honda Dax replica - cost 700 quid new but had to faff about with an SVA. They build quality is poor but they can be made to work OK. SkyTeam or JIncheng are the brands I think. Link this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easy-rider-jincheng-50cc-monkey-bike-1993-dax-110cc-jc50q-5/333728102603

I could coax mine up to 60 after some mods.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1