Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki A100 starts without key

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Suzuki A100 starts without key Reply with quote

Hello people I’m desperately looking for help aha, I’m restoring an old Suzuki A100 1979 it is all running fine etc but something is going wrong and I cant quite figure out what, the bike doesn’t need the key to start as long as the battery is connected it just fires straight up with the key in or out And the key doesn’t shut the bike off you turn it off the bike still runs. No dash lights come up the neutral light etc doesn’t show even though there is power going to the ignition and the bulb as i have tested it yet when you put a bulb in it doesn’t light up I have taken the neutral switch off and that is all set correctly and it still doesn’t show., I have taken the ignition out and cleaned up inside and I must say it was very dirty, that said I cleaned it put it back in the bike and it still doesn’t work yet it seems fine and clicks into position etc, could this be a faulty ignition or wire or something I have tried all sorts and cannot seem to fix it. Thank you very much hope to talk soon.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked that the 8ignition switch is actually connected to the bike?

On older bikes then lighting side is separate to the ignition is and the ignition side cuts the engine by shorting the low tension side.

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

On older bikes then lighting side is separate to the ignition is and the ignition side cuts the engine by shorting the low tension side.

Thank you for the reply mate, yes they are all plugged in one is the green block with most of the wires and then there is a separate black and white wire which is plugged into the same colour as itself.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:48 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the bulb is good?

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:59 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Have you checked the bulb is good?

Yes buddy bought brand new bulbs haven’t got a clue what’s wrong been puzzling me for days now lol

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you need to check the ignition switch is working as it should. Usually the wiring diagram for the bike will show which wires connect for each position of the key.

Start there.

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In that case you need to check the ignition switch is working as it should. Usually the wiring diagram for the bike will show which wires connect for each position of the key.

Start there.

I have checked it all plenty of times now mate the ignition wires are plugged in correct and there is power going to it yet it doesn’t work how it should do I’m not sure whether the switch is broke or something is shorting it in the circuit mind boggling lol

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KyleL1403 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Start there.

I have checked it all plenty of times now mate the ignition wires are plugged in correct and there is power going to it yet it doesn’t work how it should do I’m not sure whether the switch is broke or something is shorting it in the circuit mind boggling lol

You can easily test the ign switch with it unplugged from the loom and using a multi-meter set on continuity.

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:45 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily test the ign switch with it unplugged from the loom and using a multi-meter set on continuity.[/quote]

Ah okay mate thank you so how would I go about doing that what should come up on the multimeter? All I’ve done was used a probe device to see if there was power going to it which there is to both the ignition and Dash lights yet nothing is working aha, thanks mate

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Nobby said the ignition is killed by shorting the black/white wire to earth (or the frame). If you un-plugged the ignition switch completely the engine would start and run and you would have no ancilliaries, just like you say.

Since you say that you have power at the bulb holder but no light from a working bulb that suggests that the battery negative or loom earth is not connected. Look around the frame for a ring connector with the wire broken off, or just not connected.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KyleL1403 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Thank you for the reply mate, yes they are all plugged in one is the green block with most of the wires and then there is a separate black and white wire which is plugged into the same colour as itself.

On the main block is one wire obviously missing?

I mean space.for.4 connections.but only 3 wires to it? The fact that the engine cut wire is connected separately indicates someone has put on some new connectors.

Find the wire that comes from the low tension side and to the ignition and use your multimeter on continuity to earth with the ignition in both positions.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un-plug the black/white wire from the switch harness and start the engine. Touch that wire on the engine, it should stop. If it does, touch it on the frame. If it stops the engine again your switch is faulty, if not you have a loom earth fault.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:38 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
As Nobby said the ignition is killed by shorting the black/white wire to earth (or the frame). If you un-plugged the ignition switch completely the engine would start and run and you would have no ancilliaries, just like you say.

Since you say that you have power at the bulb holder but no light from a working bulb that suggests that the battery negative or loom earth is not connected. Look around the frame for a ring connector with the wire broken off, or just not connected.

Ah right okay mate thank you for that reply, there is 3 wires spare In the centre where the battery goes I don’t don’t why as there is nothing else that will connect to it unless one of the previous owners has put in a different loom, one wire is a black and white wire which I believe is an earth but all the spare wires have a push connector type on with a rubber tube over them therefore cannot connect it to the frame unless I change adaptor of course.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffs.just strip the ends of a length of wire and stick one end in the back of the connector block.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I steered you wrong a little. The ingition wire is a black wire, not black and white. Black and white is the loom earth.
If you look at the attached snip you'll se that the black wire comes from the magneto directly to the coil. You'll also see that it has a double-connector which branches off the black wire to the switch. Earthing this wire is what makes the engine stop.

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:25 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
OK I steered you wrong a little. The ingition wire is a black wire, not black and white. Black and white is the loom earth.
If you look at the attached snip you'll se that the black wire comes from the magneto directly to the coil. You'll also see that it has a double-connector which branches off the black wire to the switch. Earthing this wire is what makes the engine stop.

Ah right mate I see what you mean there, here are pics of my wires this first pic is the wires coming from the ignition switch you have the green block of wires coming of it and then the black and white

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:26 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

This is the second lot of wires these are the ignition coil ones they are black and yellow

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

And this is the last picture, the black and white wire on the left is used to connect to the battery and the black and white on the right is the spare wire I was on about earlier that I don’t know where it goes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, that bit of clear plastic tubing is supposed to be over the bare metal on the red wire.

KyleL1403
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:54 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
First off, that bit of clear plastic tubing is supposed to be over the bare metal on the red wire.

Yes mate Thanks I know I installed that must’ve knocked It down or something when I went to find the wires to take the pics have sorted it now thanks for the heads up tho
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1