Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Squaring off tyres - how fast?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Squaring off tyres - how fast? Reply with quote

OK, so I'm obviously aware of the issue but have been fortunate that my last three bikes have all been bought with new/nearly new tyres, that combined with my low annual mileage and the fact I rarely use straight roads as I'm fortunate enough to purely ride for pleasure, means I've not actually encountered the issue as yet. So my two questions are;

1) Does squaring off happen irrespective of riding conditions eventually (on the basis that even a "twisty" route will still probably have a bike spending the majority of the time upright or nearly upright)

2) How quickly does motorway travel knacker tyres out? Is doing the odd several hundred mile motorway journey mixed in with the usual twisty stuff going to see tyres ready for binning rather rapidly, or is the rate this happens at exaggerated and in reality it takes thousands of motorway miles?

Running Scorpion Trail 2 tyres by the way.

Cheers

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Squaring off tyres - how fast? Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
1) Does squaring off happen irrespective of riding conditions eventually (on the basis that even a "twisty" route will still probably have a bike spending the majority of the time upright or nearly upright)

2) How quickly does motorway travel knacker tyres out? Is doing the odd several hundred mile motorway journey mixed in with the usual twisty stuff going to see tyres ready for binning rather rapidly, or is the rate this happens at exaggerated and in reality it takes thousands of motorway

Most of it's down to how you use the throttle and the brake.

Oh, unless you have an outfit. They eat tyres up very quickly indeed.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 95% of the time I'm pretty easy going on both; I try to plan corners to avoid braking / acceleration and get a smooth transition through them. There are occasions I don't though . . . Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway miles do it. None of my bikes have ever really done it except the ones I use to commute on the motorway. In which case you can do it in 3000-4000 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to ride up the motorway to Scotland, hammer the shit out of the twisties, then back down the motorway again. My tyres land up more like a 50p over time but it certainly squares them then brings them back to more of a round over the course of a trip. For perspective, I'll generally do about 200 miles of motorway and 250-300 miles of twisties on a weekend run with the bike fully laden.

A lot depends on the tyre too. We fitted a new PR4GT to my bike and a road5 to the wifes bike. I'm heavier but I also tend to throw it into corners more enthusiastically. After our Euro tour last summer we'd both done exactly the same mileage. Mine was square and worn/feathered off the edge of the tread, hers looked like new with fair sized unused portions of tread.

I also now have a road5 GT...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run an Avon Speedmaster - since the rear is square to start with you'll never know the difference Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Squaring off tyres - how fast? Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

pretty much yeah - just not as bad as if you've slogged up and down motorways all day every day

ThunderGuts wrote:
2) How quickly does motorway travel knacker tyres out? Is doing the odd several hundred mile motorway journey mixed in with the usual twisty stuff going to see tyres ready for binning rather rapidly, or is the rate this happens at exaggerated and in reality it takes thousands of motorway miles?

Depends on the tyre and how far you're tight-fistedness is prepared to run them. I've had 10k out of a pair of T30s - the chord was showing through and the last three thousand miles were fvcking horrible. I decided to not scrimp on tyres any more because riding on fvcked tyres fvcking sucks.

For average road-orientated bikes, 6-7k is probably about it.

Apparently one key way to prolong life is to exercise restraint from 0 to 30.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 08:21 - 23 Sep 2020; edited 2 times in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Interesting the comment about low speed behaviour. I guess it's all a balance. 6-7k miles for a tyre . . . I can believe that, I bought my bike with 6k on it and it'd just had new boots.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only gas-it in corners.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do around 12k miles a year and 90+% of that is city commuting.

The last couple of generations of tyres seem to really resist squaring off, my commute hasn't changed since 2012 and I don't think I've had properly square tyres since... T30's's maybe?

In any case, I use Road 5's now, I'm onto my third rear, and they seem to lose some of the sharpness of their profile a bit (not that they're a particularly pointy tyre) but in my experience never become what I'd consider square.

Edit: Oh, and I accelerate like a plonker from traffic lights a few times a week - my average speed is high twentysomething mph, I'm certainly not avoiding low speed acceleration!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine end up shaped like 50p pences.

on my commute I'm typically either in a straight line or going round a roundabout for the vast majority of the journey. The roundabouts seem to be the bit that makes the tyres bald first. Metzler Z6s.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Run an Avon Speedmaster - since the rear is square to start with you'll never know the difference Wink

If you fit a new one of these then stay off motorways, do they get a rounder profile as they wear? Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
A100man wrote:

If you fit a new one of these then stay off motorways, do they get a rounder profile as they wear? Smile

It's actually the safety mileage that's square, speedmaster is a front with a 90% round profile and is groove cut.

If you run them under-inflated too much, they actually go slightly concave round the middle. Laughing

The tread actually mostly stays on the road as you corner and the sidewalls flex so the contact patch is pretty large. I used to run out of ground clearance before grip on the enfield with safety mileage.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep swerving side to side the whole time. Issue will resolve itself. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if anyone's mentioned it but another kind of deformation that sometimes happens with front tyres is uneven wear nearside to offside, so that the latter chamfers because of crown camber

the ironic implication of this seems to be that, if you avoid motorways and opt for e.g. unmarked back lines, you illeviate rear tyres squaring off but now the problem is with chiselling off the sweet, rounded profile of the front tyre

in practice, what actually happens is that the rear squares off (that's just the natural sort of pattern of wear, eventually), and the front's offside goes angular - but them together, and it can make for some horrible handling habits. bikes never prone to anything resembling slappy fronts start to shake their heads in corners, and when the going gets properly tight, they basically do NOT want to know and you find yourself slipping further and further behind those ahead of you

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's actually the safety mileage that's square, speedmaster is a front with a 90% round profile and is groove cut.

If you run them under-inflated too much, they actually go slightly concave round the middle. Laughing

The tread actually mostly stays on the road as you corner and the sidewalls flex so the contact patch is pretty large. I used to run out of ground clearance before grip on the enfield with safety mileage.

What's in a name.. they were all known as 'squaremasters' back in the day and we feared overstepping the 'corner' Wink The cool kids ran TT100s or Pirelli Phantoms

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

What's in a name.. they were all known as 'squaremasters' back in the day

Never heard that before. "Skidmasters", yes. I think I've still got a new one somewhere. Well, unused, anyway. They don't last very long on outfits, either, especially if you start doing 180s...

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got about7k from a set of Contimotions of predominantly motorway miles over the last couple of years. They’re still plenty legal, albeit slightly square now, but I’m now watching them a little more closely. They weren’t particularly expensive and handle well enough for A and B Road use - I’ve been out this afternoon and covered 125 miles on the twisties and enjoyed them all.
I’ll be putting 325 miles on them tomorrow then the same again Sunday And next Thursday too - I imagine they’ll be about buggered by then. They’re on a ZZR - so hardly a light bike either

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k motorway miles done in the last three months and the Avon Storms on the V Strom aren't square yet. The trade off for this is there's limited grip. You can't have it all. Pilot Roads come close.

Jozzer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an issue I've suffered for all of my biking career and never been able to cure it as of yet...

No matter how hard I crank it through the twisties (and there's a good few round my way) I still only seem to wear the middle of the tyre out, anyone know what that's all about ?...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting - 2K. Thrashing the tits off it - 5K.

Jozzer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
I’ve got about7k from a set of Contimotions of predominantly motorway miles over the last couple of years. They’re still plenty legal, albeit slightly square now, but I’m now watching them a little more closely. They weren’t particularly expensive and handle well enough for A and B Road use - I’ve been out this afternoon and covered 125 miles on the twisties and enjoyed them all.
I’ll be putting 325 miles on them tomorrow then the same again Sunday And next Thursday too - I imagine they’ll be about buggered by then. They’re on a ZZR - so hardly a light bike either

How is it some folk seem to be able to get good mileage from their rear tyres, 7k from a continental ?...

I managed 1600 from my last continental rear (road attack) and that was going easy on it !...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozzer wrote:
1198 wrote:

How is it some folk seem to be able to get good mileage from their rear tyres, 7k from a continental ?...

I managed 1600 from my last continental rear (road attack) and that was going easy on it !...

Conti Attack are super grippy but they do this by using a softer compound.
I was easily getting 7k+ miles on Metzerlers on an R1200GS.
I tried the Contis and never got much more than 3k to the wire.
So I wont be fitting them again.

Jozzer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conti Attack are super grippy but they do this by using a softer compound.
I was easily getting 7k+ miles on Metzerlers on an R1200GS.
I tried the Contis and never got much more than 3k to the wire.
So I wont be fitting them again.

You and me both buddy, especially considering the price of'em...

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Avon Storm ultra tyres to be a fantastic commuter tyre on my CBF1000 when I had it, they were recommended to me as a good tyre.

I was doing 70 miles a day with a lot of motorway miles and I would would regularly see upwards of 10k miles before the middle of the tyre was on its last legs.

For me, I found that they weren't spectacular in wet or dry but we're good enough in both types of weather for general grip, even on the winter roads.

If I was commuting again, I'd go for the successor, namely the Avon Storm 3D XM.

They pale in comparison to the current OEM tyres I have on the MT-09, after 3k miles, they've had it. I'm on a second set as the other half had pilot road 4's put on when new, so we kept the OEM tyres, so I out them on and saved me some cash this year.

I'm more of a fair weather rider these days as I don't have to commute on the bike anymore and I don't have anywhere safe to keep the bike at work, so I'll be possibly looking for something sticker next year.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2