Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NHS Track & Trace app

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: NHS Track & Trace app Reply with quote

Ciao Bella,

So who's installing it and who's not? I'm interested to see a rough % as BCF represents the best of our great nation.

Stop sniggering.

Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah you're alright thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:20 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a smart phone. So no, I won't be installing the app.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already installed it

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Reason? Is it a better reason than Stinkys extremely weak reason? Laughing

I'm assuming most reluctance would be around trust borne from the Govt "performance" thus far.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about it, but the NHS never sends me any parcels so I can't see the point.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
arry wrote:

Reason?

It doesn't really 'do' anything I need.

https://www.covid19.nhs.uk/what-the-app-does.html

Trace - get alerted if you've been near someone with rona

So, I walk into a large supermarket and someone in that supermarket tests positive for coronavirus. So? I might have been 20ft away from them at any point, wearing my mask. And it relies on them having the app too, which they might not. Too many holes - I'll just practice my own social distancing thanks.

Alert - get data from your postcode district. That news is available if I want to see it, I can find it on the internet.

Check-in - if I book a table, that's already taken care of.

Symptoms - I already know them.

Test - I can look up on internet.

Isolate - I think I'm pretty capable of working out what day it is.

Pointless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using an iPhone 3GS so no idea if it will actually run - even if the phone had enough memory left to install it!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Trace - get alerted if you've been near someone with rona

So, I walk into a large supermarket and someone in that supermarket tests positive for coronavirus. So? I might have been 20ft away from them at any point, wearing my mask. And it relies on them having the app too, which they might not. Too many holes - I'll just practice my own social distancing thanks.

According to the BBC artical on it, there is a points based system based on distance and time spent, so you shouldn't be getting alerts from a single interaction in a supermarket

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/_114567967_track_algorithm_640-nc__640-nc.png

This isn't aimed at you Arry, but i am still amazed how many folk don't know what the symtoms are yet

We had one our shopfloor guys ring up this morning with a sore throat and headache, and he said he won't be in until he has had a COVID test and got the results back.......... it really does boil my piss

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 10:07 - 24 Sep 2020; edited 5 times in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Have you actually done any research on how the app works, according to the BBC artical on it, there is a points based system based on distance and time spent, so you shouldn't be getting aleatrs from a single altercation in a supermarket

Interesting, but still ultimately pointless for me.

Because of the way I'm living my life, I'd never trigger 900 points for starters, and if I did, then the way I'd know about someone I've been in contact with having Covid19 would be by them telling me, since it'd be my wife.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already installed it. See the coronavirus thread updated last night just after midnight.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:14 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
We had one our shopfloor guys ring up this morning with a sore throat and headache, and he said he won't be in until he has had a COVID test and got the results back.......... it really does boil my piss

He's going to be waiting a long time because they're not going to give him a covid test unless he's symptoms of covid19.

Perhaps you could clarify with him if he's planning on waiting until he does have covid19 symptoms before he has a test done or is he going to lie about having the symptoms so that he can unnecessarily have a test done now which will cause testing delays for those who really do have symptoms.

Is being a selfish jerk reason for your company to fire him?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

He's going to be waiting a long time because they're not going to give him a covid test unless he's symptoms of covid19.

Perhaps you could clarify with him if he's planning on waiting until he does have covid19 symptoms before he has a test done or is he going to lie about having the symptoms so that he can unnecessarily have a test done now which will cause testing delays for those who really do have symptoms.

Is being a selfish jerk reason for your company to fire him?

I suspect it will be the latter, he will just bluff his way into getting a test by exagerating his symptoms

Watching breakfast news the other morning, they were interviewing several folk/families who were admitting they didn't have COVID symptoms are had lied to get tests booked, or had lied about being an NHS/Key worker to get tested more quickly

One "family" (i use that word loosly) had just returned from Spain and openly admitted they had zero symptoms, but wanted to test the whole family, just in case

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 10:23 - 24 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
This isn't aimed at you Arry, but i am still amazed how many folk don't know what the symtoms are yet

So am I, especiallyt when the information is out there; in addition to what you posted:

"Close contact’ generally means you have been within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes or more"

It's easy to find these things out. I have the very strong impression that the vast bulk of people who don't bother to inform themnselves or follow the anti-coronavirus recommendations or laws are foil-hatters, conspiracy theorists, idiots, or those who actually want the virus to continue, further damaging our economy, oiur social lives, and our healthg and wellbeing.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Interesting, but still ultimately pointless for me.

Because of the way I'm living my life, I'd never trigger 900 points for starters, and if I did, then the way I'd know about someone I've been in contact with having Covid19 would be by them telling me, since it'd be my wife.

But you've already said:

arry wrote:

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

So am I, especiallyt when the information is out there; in addition to what you posted:

"Close contact’ generally means you have been within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes or more"

It's easy to find these things out. I have the very strong impression that the vast bulk of people who don't bother to inform themnselves or follow the anti-coronavirus recommendations or laws are foil-hatters, conspiracy theorists, idiots, or those who actually want the virus to continue, further damaging our economy, oiur social lives, and our healthg and wellbeing.

I've had a pretty bad head cold all week (still got it) and clearly don't have any COVID symptoms (sore throat, blocked sinuses, sneezing)

Not once have i worried that i might have COVID, or considered going for a test

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

But you've already said:

arry wrote:
I'll just practice my own social distancing thanks.

So I did.

To clarify - in said supermarket I'd have to be within 2-4 metres of someone for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat 6 times in order to get a notification.

My own social distancing wouldn't allow that in the slightest.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be installing the NHS track-and-trace app.

It' based on the idea that people act "for the greater good", rather than "based on enlightened self-interest". If you have contracted this virus, chances are that you will feel well enough to go about your daily business as normal, even while infectious. If symptoms worsen, ypu will confine yourself to bed anyway. However, if you're otherwise healthy, you'll probably get through it. This means that the purpose of the app would be to protect other people from getting infected. Most likely, people with whom you aren't close and don't really care about. If someone with whom you're close falls ill with symptoms, how will you act? Would you just isolate yourself in order to protect some toilet roll hoarding yob in a supermarket aisle? Or would you instead focus on getting your loved one throygh it, perhaps by doing the shopping for them? So there's the human nature argument - jusr because we're the same species doesn't mean we act as if we're all in it together.

Non-compliance with the app's directions can result in a hefty fine. So there's that disincentive, too.

I'm not happy with the way the testing data has been used thus far, and I think it's likely there's a lack of behavioural insight into how "influential" in socially shaming people internet forums and the like really is. So that's 10 percent of my reasoning and a no from me.

Last edited by Bhud on 11:14 - 24 Sep 2020; edited 2 times in total

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

One "family" (i use that word loosly) had just returned from Spain and openly admitted they had zero symptoms, but wanted to test the whole family, just in case

These people drive me round the bend.

We recently when on a family trip to Portugal for my parents 50th anniversary.

A few got the usual sniffles from being on the plane, but that's it. Now self isolating for 14 days as per "the rules", but not once considered getting a covid test. I work from home anyway so even if I had symptoms, I'd have to be pretty sick before considering going for a test.

Still, not as bad as the skanks who ask on facebook where to get a test as they're going on holiday. Have all and sundry say "Use the NHS Hun x" and when you point out they shouldn't be using the NHS and should go private, you get nothing but abuse. Cunts.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I won't be installing the NHS track-and-trace app.

It' based on the idea that people act "for the greater good", rather than "based on enlightened self-interest". If you have contracted this virus, chances are that you will feel well enough to go about your daily business as normal, even while infectious. If symptoms worsen, ypu will confine yourself to bed anyway. However, if you're otherwise healthy, you'll probably get through it. This means that the purpose of the app would be to protect other people from getting infected. Most likely, people with whom you aren't close and don't really care about. If someone with whom you're close falls ill with symptoms, how will you act? Would you just isolate yourself in order to protect some toilet roll hoarding yob in a supermarket aisle? Or would you instead focus on getting your loved one throygh it, perhaps by doing the shopping for them? So there's the human nature argument - jusr because we're the same species doesn't mean we act as if we're all in it together.

Non-compliance with the app's directions can result in a hefty fine. So there's that disincentive, too.

I'm not happy with the way the testing data has been used thus far, and I think it's likely there's a lack of behavioural insight into how "influential" in socially shaming people internet forums and the like really is. So that's 10 percent of my reasoning and a no from me.

And the winner of the "State the obvious" award of 2020 goes to Bhud Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
So I did.

Just out of interest, why did you munge my quote like that? Do you really think it makes you looik good?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll not be contributing to anything that perpetuates the government's current scare tactics.

Maybe when they start counting death's caused by Covid rather than "cases" - (test results including a large number of false positives).

If we had 50,000 cases then so what if the vast majority had no symptoms or only flu-like symptoms?

We shouldn't be crucifying the country for such a small number of deaths.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
jusr because we're the same species doesn't mean we act as if we're all in it together

That's *EXACTLY* why we've got the current flare-up.

Twayts not sticking to the rules. The NHS app is a help to reducing spread, of course, it won't stop it for various reasons which we know. It's the people who don't stick to the rules that are doing the damage. They must be either stupid, or want the virus to continue. I can't imagine there could be another reason.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
arry wrote:
So I did.

Just out of interest, why did you munge my quote like that? Do you really think it makes you looik good?

Just to focus on the important bit. No need to be oversensitive about it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The Scottish app has been available since the 10th and I have no plans to install it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4