NHS Track & Trace app

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Twayts not sticking to the rules. The NHS app is a help to reducing spread, of course, it won't stop it for various reasons which we know. It's the people who don't stick to the rules that are doing the damage. They must be either stupid, or want the virus to continue. I can't imagine there could be another reason.

Lessons were learned from the first wave, and not necessarily public health ones.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Bhud wrote:
jusr because we're the same species doesn't mean we act as if we're all in it together

That's *EXACTLY* why we've got the current flare-up.

Twayts not sticking to the rules. The NHS app is a help to reducing spread, of course, it won't stop it for various reasons which we know. It's the people who don't stick to the rules that are doing the damage. They must be either stupid, or want the virus to continue. I can't imagine there could be another reason.

Everyone around here seemed to stick to the rules when we locked down for 3 months, but that didnt seem to work and we still ended up with more deaths than the rest of Europe and the county back in lockdown. I'm sure encouraging everyone to visit restaurants for half price meals didn't help Laughing
You have to wonder if places like Sweden with less restrictions and less deaths are doing it right.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Scottish app.
So far it only warns me that my phone battery dies rapidly as it needs Bluetooth to be active continuously.
Aaaand... it puts a wee red dot in notification on home screen if BT is switched off.

I don't see that there's much point to it apart from a data collection app.

If you test +CV19 you punch your test number into the app which will then ring an 'Unclean Leperous Bell' via Bluetooth and alert other apps within your close proximity.

I think it's another layer of CV19 mire that many people do not understand.

And I still see too many folk walking around wearing plastic face screens who believe they are doing good. Shocked

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
You have to wonder if places like Sweden with less restrictions and less deaths are doing it right.

Taking that particular point, they have 95% of our mortality rate, and 155% of our infection rate, at the moment. Their government is considering a "circuit breaker" lockdown in some areas, too.

Sweden has huge geographical and demographic advantages:

Most of their viulnerable people live on their own.
Most of the people most likely to spread the virus live on their own.
In fact, nearly half of them live on their own.
Their government did introduce restrictions.
Their government did ussue various recommendations, which in Sewden it is expected that people adgere to, and they did.
Their people are far more responsiblt in terms of civic duty than here.

Considering these things, they have done very badly in containing and mitigating their outbreak.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I installed the Scottish app.So far it only warns me that my phone battery dies rapidly as it needs Bluetooth to be active continuously"

Thats interesting, I worried that might happen, but in the England & Wales app, on my phone, it's used virtually no power since I installed it (and no data at all, of course).

MCN wrote:
I don't see that there's much point to it apart from a data collection app.

Perhaps another difference with the Scottish one? What data are collected by it?

MCN wrote:
If you test +CV19 you punch your test number into the app which will then ring an 'Unclean Leperous Bell' via Bluetooth and alert other apps within your close proximity.

Another difference! The E&W one sends SMS to alert the user.

MCN wrote:
I think it's another layer of CV19 mire that many people do not understand.

I certainly go along with that. Then there are the trolls, foil-hatters and stupid-heads (one of my sisters is one of these, and also believes that a vaccine WILL contain "microchips"!).

MCN wrote:
And I still see too many folk walking around wearing plastic face screens who believe they are doing good. Shocked

Yes, they are virtually useless.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the app, which is just as well, as I don't have a phone! I just don't get close to anyone for any significant length of time, bar the checkout folk at Tesco where a safe distance is maintained, and at most I go there twice in a week.

Christ, you normal folk just don't know what isolation is! Crying or Very sad

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Their government did ussue various recommendations, which in Sewden it is expected that people adgere to, and they did.

Given the above, why this:

Quote:
Considering these things, they have done very badly in containing and mitigating their outbreak.

Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Given the above, why this:

Quote:

You missed out the first bit. Perhaps you didn't see it:

Riejufixing wrote:
They have 95% of our mortality rate, and 155% of our infection rate, at the moment. Their government is considering a "circuit breaker" lockdown in some areas, too

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

You missed out the first bit. Perhaps you didn't see it:

Riejufixing wrote:
They have 95% of our mortality rate, and 155% of our infection rate, at the moment. Their government is considering a "circuit breaker" lockdown in some areas, too

No, I saw it, just missed it in my quote. My question still stands.
I can find as many, if not more, articles and references on those who say Sweden has done well as those who say it hasn't. I had the impression that the consensus was on the former. Even the BBC has said this at times, and they never lie!
I give up!

What is your source? Link?

Edit: Btw, I have mentioned the Sweden model today in the wider Coronavirus thread, so you could answer it there to keep this thread to the topic of the app.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Edit: Btw, I have mentioned the Sweden model today in the wider Coronavirus thread, so you could answer it there to keep this thread to the topic of the app.

OK.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I won't be installing the app. I'm pretty much a hermit, and the rare occasions I do go into work, it's to visit hospitals where it'll be pinging every 5 minutes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
...the Scottish app.

Is that like the Scottish Play?
If you mention it's real name, evil will befall the speaker of the name Mr. Green

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried to do the Right Thing and install the app, but was greeted with: "This application requires iOS 13.5 or later", so that rules me out.

I have an iPhone 6, which doesn't go past iOS 12.4.8. I mean it's not the most up to date phone but its not that old either; it works perfectly well for me and I have zero plans to upgrade it. This is the very first time I've been denied access to any app I've tried to download.

How many other smartphone users will be ruled out for the same reason? Well played, Mr Hancock, well played.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be installing their fucking app. If they want to know where I've been, who with, and for how long, then they can just ask fucking GCHQ directly.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I won't be installing their fucking app. If they want to know where I've been, who with, and for how long, then they can just ask fucking GCHQ directly.

This^+1.

Despite the reassurances in the adverts and what the politicians say, I’ll bet big brother WILL be watching.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a respiratory hospital, the fucking thing would be pinging all day long Rolling Eyes

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

This^+1.

Despite the reassurances in the adverts and what the politicians say, I’ll bet big brother WILL be watching.

Where to even start......

Do you honestly think that if the Government/GCHQ/"The Man" (delete as appropriate) really wanted to, they would already be spying/tracking you

Do you use Alexa/Google/Siri, in which case you could already being listened too all the time

You do also realise you are already carrying around a pocket tracking device, and unless you keep it in a lead lined box when not in use, it is probably already tracking all your movements

Do you hosnelty think that there will be convictions based on how many bluetooth connections your phone may have made (ie meeting in large groups) or speeding convictions based on how quickly you went from A-B based on bluetooth connections

And lastly, what exaclty have you got to hide, why do you care IF (and that is a big IF) the Government is tracking your movements, what are they going to gain from knowing where a large % of the population is for a rolling 21 days

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's why I said what I did say.

They already have an extensive selection of tools for tracking people. As you have pointed out, mobile is the primary focus, comes bundled with cameras, mics, wifi, gps. Always on, always connected.

They should be using them, if not on a targeted individual basis for at least formulating strategy.

Nope, a fucking optional app that nobody (other than a few well intentioned minority who are most likely to follow rules, therfore less likely to transmit it) will install it, and those that do are most likely to be forced into isolation, even though they've already had Corona. How many vulnerable over 70s are going to install it? They're the ones truly in need of protection.

What we really need is strong consistent leadership, not wishy washy changes in policy and an unelected truly 'special' advisor who decided the rules didn't apply, and had the fucking gall to bullshit his way out of it, to preserve his humongous salary and pension, and the government went soft and didn't punish him.

At that point I thought fuck it, I'm off out. I'm sure countless others also changed stance when that came out. How many will die because of the consequence of a DIY eye test? Before that I was a good boy, honest guv.

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 09:22 - 25 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Agreed. Unless it's compulsory and enforced it's bloody pointless anyway. If you are going to use technology to fight covid, do what South Korea did but can you imagine the howls of anger from the great unwashed,

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 !

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the pub this afternoon and you need to use the NHS covid19 app thing to sign in.

Seems pretty useless cos there's no way of the staff knowing if you've done it or not. Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
And lastly, what exaclty have you got to hide, why do you care IF (and that is a big IF) the Government is tracking your movements, what are they going to gain from knowing where a large % of the population is for a rolling 21 days

I have nothing to hide but it's MY nothing and I'll hide it if I want to.

The "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" argument is the Godwin's law of privacy arguments. Laughing

To answer your other points though:

1. Yep they could but equally, I could make it hard for them in many ways - as is my right.

2. No, I'm an information security professional - I don't use any voice activated systems. I also block cookies, location tracking, all unnecessary scripts and use a VPN a lot of the time Razz The little social media I use is under a pseudonym, I never post photos or any personal information. I don't even appear in Google searches under my real name. Razz

3. Am I? It's left at home a lot of the time. It's for my convenience, not the convenience of others.

4. No, I'm not paranoid. I also live in a remote area and don't generally fraternise with the great unwashed. I've been working from home since lockdown and I've only been into my office once and that was for less than an hour. Laughing

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, installed.

Source code is available, should you wish to go over it.

David Bonsal wrote:

Last 24 hrs I’ve provided the polite version of the following to C4, ITV,BBC, Radio 5, Sky News, Times Radio, LBC. I thought I’d answer a few frequently asked questions more directly, while our communications officer isn’t watching.
Is it going to steal my data?
- No its completely private. All your data stays on the phone, if you delete the app, you delete the data. Facebook, on the other hand...
Is it going to track me?
- No it doesn’t know where you are.
Uber, Dominos pizza, google maps, on the other hand...
Is Dominic Cummings...
- No
Why has it taken so long?
- It was hard. We tested it, made it better, tested it again, made it better, now it’s ready. And we helped Google develop their system. And we beat most states in America
How many people need to download it to work?
- Two. If you download it and I download it and I get infected and I notify you and you don’t visit your gran, Granny lives
What happens if we all download it?
- Maths shows it could stop the epidemic.
But Dominic Cummings...
- Just no
Why did the Isle of Wight app not work?
- Actually it did. It looks like it stopped their epidemic. There were problems with iPhones.
Are there not still problems with iPhones
- Yes. The few people with iphones earlier than 6S should write Apple and complain. If you have a later version you should download the app, stop the epidemic, and save the old folks with outdated smartphones.
What about the fines for not following the notifications? Those aren’t fair!
- What about the local outbreak and deaths you could cause by not following them? also what about the £500 you receive if you get notified and can’t work from home?
Yeah but “False Positives”...
- The only way you can get a notification is by being close to someone who tests positive for COVID-19 for a prolonged period.
Yeah but its not 100% accurate at measuring distance so there are false positives
- Do you think the virus cares if it’s 2 meters or 2.3 meters?
Yeah but...
-If I asked you to remember all your 2meter 15minute contacts in the last 3 days would you give me an accurate answer? Where’s your tape measure and your stop watch?
So is it more accurate than manual contact tracing?
-Yes probably. And it can notify people you don’t know.
How else is it better?
- well it’s a lot more private - you don’t need to give personal details about you or anyone else
Anything else?
- it uses computers so it’s fast enough to find people BEFORE they infect others...which is sort of the point.
Anything else?
- it doesn’t require millions of netflix subscriptions.
Anything else?
- It’s a quick way to check in to bars (I like bars) and it’s a faster way to book a test without navigating a website designed by a Vogon
There are no tests?
- Fair point. Not my department. But will keep the pressure on.
Its not a silver bullet is it? It’s just a cherry on the cake?
- No. If we all download it, it’s A GOLD-PLATED MISSILE, which relatively speaking cost one-thousandth of a cherries worth of cake, compared to another lockdown.
Is it going to work?
- not unless you download it.....give it a go. It’s really rather good.
(And well done to our group at Oxford, Alan Turing Institute, department of health, NHSX, Google, Pivotal, Zuhlke, and beyond who’ve all contributed...it’s been a long time coming...and it’s something to be proud of. Well done!)

Last edited by goto10 on 19:51 - 26 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
No, I won't be installing the app. I'm pretty much a hermit, and the rare occasions I do go into work, it's to visit hospitals where it'll be pinging every 5 minutes.

I've been in a hospital since installing the app [upon release]
Zero alerts. Which given how I've interacted with people, is to be expected. Just install it, if you really do get alerts every 5 mins (you won't) then uninstall it. *shrug*

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

It doesn't tell them any of that, they'll have no idea who (or where) you are - just look at the permissions when installing the thing. Source code has already been anaylsed if you Google it.
I'm guessing you steer clear of chem-trails and things too, right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4