Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Labour mps blocking bill helping our soldiers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Labour mps blocking bill helping our soldiers Reply with quote

This has pissed me off today (amongst other things).

So there's an armed forces bill that is intended to protect British Soldiers, and 18 Labour MP's have tried to block it.

Time to name and shame.

Guess who? "The rebel group led by former party leader Jeremy Corbyn as well as John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and Rebecca Long-Bailey"

Their claim is that would effectively decriminalise torture. So basically they say all those nice things about our troops when the camera is pointing at them, but in private they're against them.

As soon as Corbyn was mentioned, it smacks of IRA appeasement. Trying to have British vets prosecuted for the troubles when the IRA have immunity, letters of comfort, and did 90% of the killings.

https://unitynewsnetwork.co.uk/18-labour-mps-vote-against-bill-designed-to-stop-british-soldiers-being-prosecuted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think if the ex-great leader had such "grave concerns" he'd seek some advice from a legal professional?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is thank God we had the sense not to vote him in as leader of this country. It would probably be Sir Gerry by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should absolutly be that if you deploy soldiers to a war zone, you have a war zone. End of. All targets are tatgets.

If you can forgive Irish cvunts who blew up civiians (yes, you Jeremy), then don't ever whine about your own troops killing whoever.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stepfather ws a Royal engineer Major in Ireland during the troubles.

He always said, if the poiticians had shut up and left it to the military they would have ended the toubles in a few weeks.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a thick fog, that of wars.

It is nice to be a soldier and be protected from criminal charges for stuff you are involved in when on duty abroad etc. but there are also nasty people in armies and nasty things that cause, encourage and or allow troops to do nasty things.

If you are a soldier you cannot be involved in torture and other 'nothing to do with the war' stuff.

It is never a clear cut case but certain mitigating factors must be considered.

Exonerating Terrorists who took aim at innocent civilians is not the sort of a thing I would pardon though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It is a thick fog, that of wars.

It is nice to be a soldier and be protected from criminal charges for stuff you are involved in when on duty abroad etc. but there are also nasty people in armies and nasty things that cause, encourage and or allow troops to do nasty things.

If you are a soldier you cannot be involved in torture and other 'nothing to do with the war' stuff.

It is never a clear cut case but certain mitigating factors must be considered.

Exonerating Terrorists who took aim at innocent civilians is not the sort of a thing I would pardon though.

Yet nukeing Hiroshima and Nagasaki is ok?

Fire bombing Dresden when the war is basically finished?

Yet some poor grunt loses it and shoots an unarmed person or opens up and mows down a few civilians has to be hung out for the lefty dogs to chew on after they have sent him in there?

Fuck that.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yet some poor grunt loses it and shoots an unarmed person or opens up and mows down a few civilians has to be hung out for the lefty dogs to chew on after they have sent him in there?

For the next 17 years.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-54286798?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16010170579100&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s

Sod Corbyn and his crew of shitweasels

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The justification by the Americans was that it saved millions of lives potentially lost in an invasion of Japan.

Polarbear wrote:

This was done to basically appease Stalin. Dresden was a beautiful city before the war, but then again so was Coventry.

I do wonder what would happen if there was a military draft for a 1914/1939 style war now.
Half the draftees would refuse to fight because it upsets them.
Half the remainder would refuse to fight because they'd be worried about future litigation filed against them (in the manner of this thread).
Half the remainder would refuse to fight because it's bad for the environment.
Half the remainder would refuse to fight unless they were given a tracing style app telling them how many people they'd killed.
etc.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In addition to the 18 Labour MPs, the bill was also opposed by the SNP and Liberal Democrats."

Shock. Surprised

Edit: Actually I am shocked at that.

It was to be expected that Corbyn would oppose it, and the likes of Abbot probably need direction from Corbyn when they need to wee. I'm glad that the rest of Sir Starmer's Labour had the sense to back this bill.

But that last bit, stuffed in at the bottom, worries me. The Lib Dems once had the potential to radically change politics but they have completely lost the plot.

And the SNP? Well there's a significant number of them, and it's shameful and disgusting. Presumbly they want military disarmament and rely on all our friendly neighbours to protect us. Serve them right if Iran or someone invaded Scotland. I bet they'd come wailing for help then.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

The justification by the Americans was that it saved millions of lives potentially lost in an invasion of Japan.

Polarbear wrote:

This was done to basically appease Stalin. Dresden was a beautiful city before the war, but then again so was Coventry.

Oh I know and understand the reasons for doing those things but what I am moaning about is it's OK for politicians to commit mass slaughter of civilians on a national level with no repurcussions but if a soldier shoots a couple of unarmed people the rabid dogs scream 'murdurer'.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Oh I know and understand the reasons for doing those things but what I am moaning about is it's OK for politicians to commit mass slaughter of civilians on a national level with no repurcussions but if a soldier shoots a couple of unarmed people the rabid dogs scream 'murdurer'.

True, and don't forget Bliar.

What amazed me was he was called to testify and said it wasn't a war, it wasn't a slaughter, it wasn't murder, it was a 'Decision'.

I don't know what pixie dust he uses but he sat down to a standing ovation.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:39 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

He always said, if the poiticians had shut up and left it to the military they would have ended the toubles in a few weeks.

My uncle was a major in the Belfast green slime (Intelligence Corps).
His informed estimate was 2 weeks.

Six shots would have done it according to my source.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'd be interested to know who the Shotees were.

Sir Gerry?
Paddy McGuiness?

Incidentally I remember a few years back the Queen visited Eire and was due to shake hands with Paddy. All the news articles at the time was basically implying Paddy having to 'lower' himself to do so, all the moral sacrifices he would make etc. etc.

Works both way. As far as I know Sinn Fein still refuse to take their seats in Westminster as it involves loyalty to the Queen, which is pretty offensive.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:14 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I'd be interested to know who the Shotees were.

Sir Gerry?
Paddy McGuiness?

Those names were both mentioned.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I do wonder what would happen if there was a military draft for a 1914/1939 style war now.

I know exactly what would happen.

The absolute majority of folk would see it for what it is and do their duty.

The absolute thickos of today, with their Union Jack and British Bulldog profile photos, who tend to hover around the centre of the Venn diagram of "Our Heroes", "kids today don't know they've been born, they haven't seen war" and, more recently, being obsessed with their precious little freedoms being attacked because the evil government is telling them to wear a facemask, would be in full tinfol hat mode making up every excuse under the sun to not sign up, because those wankers are all talk and no form.

And yes you're probably right, a lot of lefties would object to it as well. But at least they object to it at times of peace too. It's the jingoistic virtue signallers that annoy me more. The folk who have never been in a war themselves, yet think they somehow hold the monopoly on gallantry and valour.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

The absolute thickos of today, with their Union Jack and British Bulldog profile photos, who tend to hover around the centre of the Venn diagram of "Our Heroes", "kids today don't know they've been born, they haven't seen war" and, more recently, being obsessed with their precious little freedoms being attacked because the evil government is telling them to wear a facemask, would be in full tinfol hat mode making up every excuse under the sun to not sign up, because those wankers are all talk and no form.

And yes you're probably right, a lot of lefties would object to it as well. But at least they object to it at times of peace too. It's the jingoistic virtue signallers that annoy me more. The folk who have never been in a war themselves, yet think they somehow hold the monopoly on gallantry and valour.

Well, you are obviously racist Laughing

Oh sorry, wrong thread Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Note the subject of this thread.

The bill is about protecting the rights of those going to fight for our country.

Which side of the political fence is the objection coming from?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere are three principles in play.

1) 'I'm only following orders' is no defence. I refer you to the Nuremberg trials. I wont bother saying any more than this.

2) for some years now the western world has held itself to a high standard where civilians are concerned (quite rightly)

3) the geneva convention sets out what can and cant be done with captured soldiers.

All our forces have it drilled into them what they can do (rules of engagement) and when they overstep the mark by torturing and killing people outside of these rules they should be punished. This proposed law tries to limit their liability.

Personally I disagree with it. A lot of my military colleagues will probably disagree.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:01 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pendulum swings one way: high standards, not torturing civilians, etc. and then a load of ambulance chasers see a buck to be made.

Solution? Swing the pendulum back [in time] doesn't sound right Thinking Seems like the legislature fixing a problem in the judiciary?

The actual problem is too many lawyers with too little to do.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bill is another way the Tories deflect Labour off course. I'm a lefty and I'm well aware of the concerns that the bill could help Britain wriggle out of taking responsibility if our armed forces engage in war crimes but it also protects individual service personnel from vexatious claims of abuse. As a country we should have high standards in how we conduct military actions but the bill needs to be reviewed, which is what Parliament is about so I don't see the point in folks going snowflake over its being challenged, that's just democracy.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I think it was a bunch of soldiers taking matters into their own hands that kicked it all off in the first place. That and Ian Paisley funding a false flag bombing attack. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008c47/spotlight-on-the-troubles-a-secret-history-series-1-episode-1

Bloody good series, confirmed a lot of things which were just rumour before.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching that last night until I had to give up due to the IPlayer being a load of bollocks and refusing to stream (OK probably my 'Superfast' Broadband)

But what I saw was certainly good. Looks like there was dangerous characters on both sides. Interesting how it all started as a 'Socialist' movement and 'Civil rights' march, with the IRA hiding snugly inside. Reminds me of certain current events starting with Peaceful marches.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2