Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

flat battery again, help please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: flat battery again, help please. Reply with quote

hi guys

i posted on here on the 2nd sep that my wife had a flat abttery on her 2020 forza 125.

again today after the bike being parked up for a 7 days her battery is totally flat to the point we cant move the keyless switch on the bike to be able to release the seat. tomorrow we will do the emergency entry thing to release the seat and get the battery out and charge it again,

i assume the battery keeps dying as it has a alarm and tracker connected to it, now obviously i dont want to remove these as she has had 2 bike stolen prior.

my question is. can i buy a better battery that wont go flat as quickly ? and if so what one ? or is there a device that i can connect to the battery that can sit under the seat give it a charge to stop this happening ?

or any other ideas that could solve this problem.

thank you
anthony

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be your antitheft alarm is draining your battery, or it might be on its last legs. Have your battery tested before spending money on a new one. You can install a device called a battery tender. It is a small charger intended to maintain your battery during periods of storage. They come with a small pigtail that allows quick disconnect and reconnect, and should be strong enough to keep your battery charged and power your antitheft alarm.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alarm and tracker certainly could drain the battery but it should be two to four weeks at worst normally.

Since it's been let go flat the battery performance will have taken a permanent hit and first option would be replace it.
You might find a similar size one with more amps but a small battery with significant drain and colder weather won't be happy unless you can set up a trickle charger when you know it won't be used for a few days or longer.

It is possible something else is a bit faulty and draining it too.
I've seen a hazard lights (switch) cause enough drain to run a tractor flat in a couple of days.
You could check through what's using power with a multimeter combined with pulling fuses one by one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:57 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: flat battery again, help please. Reply with quote

sut wrote:

my question is. can i buy a better battery that wont go flat as quickly ? and if so what one ?

This gets asked a lot on here.
the answers will go from most batteries are the same.
any battery with a warranty will do.

get a Yusa (they sell them in halfords)

As Jeffy has mentioned many chargers will come with a lead you can connect to the battery permanently which make it easy to charge the battery while the bike is standing for periods of time.
Something like this
https://i.imgur.com/4KzyxY3.jpeg
you just need to make sure it has the right connector for your charger.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't fit another Yuasa.
They do not take any mishandling well.
I've fitted two within three years to my S1000RR which is normally on a maintenance charger in the garage.

I just fitted a motobat to the bike and will fit another motobat to my k1300 in a couple of week too.
I'm using an old motobat that was removed three years ago in the 1300 now. 😎

But as mentioned above, if not on a charger then the battery will run down.

You should get yourself a meter to check that there is no consumer draining the battery when the bike is parked.
And check that the charging system is functioning properly not over charging or under charging.

Overcharging a battery will destroy it definitely.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who fitted the alarm and tracker ?
If it was the Honda dealer then it should be under warranty.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Who fitted the alarm and tracker ?
If it was the Honda dealer then it should be under warranty.

That is where I would start.

The dealer 'may' help as a one-off courtesy but depending on who you get to speak to.

They may want something towards remedy.

or

They may say 'do one'. Shocked

Their argument: A vehicle should not be left sitting unused for extended periods.

Bike batteries probably suffer more as they are smaller units where as car batteries are much bigger so can absorb a bit more abuse/neglect.

Batteries are 100% Chemistry and that has some unpredictabilities. Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a cheap ebay tracker it used to drain the battery fairly quickly. This is probably because I had it set up to report its location frequently.

If it is a proper, professionally fitted tracker than it should be a bit better on battery life, but still I'm not surprised by it draining the battery on a 125 in a week. 125s tend to have 2-4Ah batteries. Big bikes more likely to have 10-12Ah batteries.

Leave it on a battery tender.

sut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the help guys.

the honda forza is brand new less than 2 months old. so the battery is brand new but if the bike is un-used for a few days the battery dies.

the alarm and tracker was brought cheap from ebay / amazon, so i assume these or more likely the tracker as the alarm still works when battery is flat.

i will have to look into as jeff says a battery tender as at the minute i am just having to keep recharging the battery and that will just kill the battery in the end.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, i would reverse what has been done and buy a heavy duty padlock and chain which cannot be hand cropped. Also your battery is coming up as 12volt 7.5A/H.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had several bikes with trackers fitted flatten the battery !
You need a maintance charger ! No other option if teh bike is going to be unused fro more the 48 hours

Trackers are a gps equiped mobile phone each time it txts it draws lots of power !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a tracker, can't you get one with a built in battery that's charged by a circuit that's only on with the ignition? Just make sure the battery in the tracker is large enough to power it for the length of time between rides..

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sut wrote:
thanks for all the help guys.

the honda forza is brand new less than 2 months old. so the battery is brand new but if the bike is un-used for a few days the battery dies.

Under warranty then? Take it back and get them to check that it's charging.

Forza 125 has stop-start, I think. Filter more! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the alarm internal batteries are dead and its constantly charging,
I fit a lot of trackers and Id be surprised if its that if its working correctly,
Trackers use very little current, I have a few stand alone trackers I rent out and the batteries last months with no other source to charge them, 5 months is the record with a daily update, these are also on vibration alert so will also ping a text off if its moved or goes over a preset speed limit, so they are getting some use.

Best bet would be charge the battery and only leave one of these new devices connected, see what happens, if the alarm stays connected and the battery is fine then obviously it points to the tracker.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 233 days between these two posts...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

one would hope he has fixed the issue by now Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica2S wrote:
Try to recondition the battery, it worked for me

Ye canny change the laws of chemistry.

Batteries cannot be reconditioned.

There may be some temporary help to performance but the main function of a flattened (abused) battery will have been permanently reduced by a massive percentage. (Possibly 50% of new battery function could be lost.)

And if the unit is maintenance free or AGM there will be no access to the electrolyte.

Best solution is replace with new or prepare ones Arse to be spanked when least convenient.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

youre probably right, but i have heard tales of optimate chargers bringing dead batteries back to life.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
MCN wrote:

youre probably right, but i have heard tales of optimate chargers bringing dead batteries back to life.

Aye, they do this by 'fancy' circuitry that blasts high amps into the battery in short pulses to desulphate the plates.

But even that only recovers a sulphated battery to a limited degree.
If the battery conditioner is connected regularly then that can help offset immanent death.
The issue is that if there is a dire need for the battery to give it's designed/advertised max it will probably fail.
Best plan to budget for a new battery. I'd rather pay £100 for the insurance than have to recover a dead horse from anywhere.
A good battery should last at least 4 years as long as it is loved.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1