BCF: Bike Chat Forums

let the "winterising" commence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to fit the Tucano Urbano muffs and blanket on the bike. Might wire in the heated seat finally but probably not.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:45 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

State of my Hornet winter hack after a decade of winter 400 mile a week commutes. Never let me down - always started on the button.

Ashamed that I let the bike get in this state and feel like I owe the bike for getting me home every night. Embarassed

So I've started restoring it - I've removed all the old paint and rust, etch primed, repainted, carbs rebuilt, new shock etc and it's starting to look mint again.
https://i.ibb.co/V01YJny/head-stock.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yX4xYy1/carbs.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/S6Zq71y/engine-front.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:48 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..... my...... gosh/Gawd...

You've not loved that poor machine even 10%.

She's carried you through all those winters like a trusty steed and you've shown her nothing but neglect.

There should be a charity group we can report this sort of motorcycle abuse to. 😲

🤣

When one has a reliable beast then it's not often you feel the need to tamperfere with her innards so there will be bits that are unseen.

Also, knowing the hot-spots to look for helps. Then they can be addressed before things get ugly.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:48 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Oh..... my...... gosh/Gawd...

You've not loved that poor machine even 10%.

She's carried you through all those winters like a trusty steed and you've shown her nothing but neglect.

There should be a charity group we can report this sort of motorcycle abuse to. 😲

🤣

When one has a reliable beast then it's not often you feel the need to tamperfere with her innards so there will be bits that are unseen.

Also, knowing the hot-spots to look for helps. Then they can be addressed before things get ugly.

Yeah - It's totally shameful Sick - in my defence I was scrupulous regarding scheduled oil changes, oil/air filter changes, valve clearance checks - so after 45k miles the inside of the engine is actually in really good nick.

I was also working insane hours at the time - leaving for work in the early hours and getting back home at 10/11 at night so too shagged out to even give the bike a hose down - I just wanted to get some sleep before the cycle kicked off again.

The bike is looking much better now though - I stripped her down to the frame, removed all rust, repainted everything, brand new forks - not finished it yet.

It's just an old Hornet - nothing special - but I've been through so much with this bike - I've got a real sentimental attachment to it and just had to restore it. Embarassed

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely won't need to commute anymore - or at least very rarely.

The BMW will be hosed down and coated with every corrosion resistance substance known to man. Previous owner seemingly didn't take care of it (regardless of thousands spent on servicing) which resulted in part of the engine casing that the return oil pipe connects to DISINTEGRATING due to road salt etc. Had to drill a hole next to it and fashion some kind of clamp.

The Honda will probably get a wash before winter and some ACF50 but it's a Honda.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Most likely won't need to commute anymore - or at least very rarely.

The BMW will be hosed down and coated with every corrosion resistance substance known to man. Previous owner seemingly didn't take care of it (regardless of thousands spent on servicing) which resulted in part of the engine casing that the return oil pipe connects to DISINTEGRATING due to road salt etc. Had to drill a hole next to it and fashion some kind of clamp.

The Honda will probably get a wash before winter and some ACF50 but it's a Honda.
Honda really dont build them like they use to.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

*scribbles conscientiously*

ACF50, right ... get that.

I'm dragging my heels a little in this class, you guys.
Where do you spray that stuff?
Is it spray?
I'm just assuming its like WD40 only ... oh I dunno, not.
Ok I have wandered off to YouTube to see what its all about Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really cared much about any bike before ... Shifty
Rolling Eyes

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I've never really cared much about any bike before ... Shifty Rolling Eyes

Clean and dry bike before application to ensure no dirt gets trapped underneath > apply acf-50 to all parts beside tyres (obvs) and brakes (discs etc) > leave to dry to twenty-four hours (personal preference) > run away from bike when you first start it and white smelly smoke appears.

You can get an aerosol version that you can spray at will (cheaper) or a large bottle that you pour into a spray bottle and have to heat up in a bowl of water before application that can then be sprayed onto the bike covering perhaps harder to reach areas by hand (more expensive, and will last ages given how little you need since ACF-50 spreads).

All you need to remember is road salt isn't fussy about where it goes so be generous in application of ACF-50.

Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I might get my chum downcountry to show me how to do this washing business.
Might let him supervise me with the ACF-50 Rolling Eyes

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

acf50 is a bit weird - it's in an aerosol can but doesn't spray out anything like wd40, ime. Instead it just kind of foams out and dribbles. Bloody rubbish. Best to "spray" some into a container and dab it onto metalwork with a brush. I can't vouch for its effectiveness - and went back to cleaning the bike after every damp or wet ride with a few oily rags. And spraying WD onto the headers and various other areas after dry winter rides (just to try and combat any salt accumulated).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Waxoyl to scoot on the risque areas under fairing of both bikes.
Two years ago and its still doing it's job. ACF50 can be reduced by washing/degreasers/shampoo-ing.
But it is good stuff. Fairly forgiving in strict application methods too.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/waxoyl/

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 03:36 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing a few more things prep wise...

TCX boots in for a resole with Vibram mountain boot sole.

Been to the Tailors and had a new quick release fitted to the blanket, 2 zips repaired on Hein Gericke Proshell jacket, zip repaired on Hein Gericke Performance shell jacket, back armour support strap being repaired in IXS Proshell jacket. Need to look at repairing Hein Gericke Daylight jacket, Goretex lining has come loose.

Spare pair of Goretex ECW boots ordered, Spare bootlaces ordered.

Been given a pair of new Oxford heated gloves as a thank you but no power cables so ordered power cables for those as well as for my heated clothing and new thermal fuses to repair the spare controllers I have.

Looking out for a set of bib and brace style Goretex Proshell trousers at a decent price.

About £250 spent so far but I haven't had to spend anything for a few years now and everything repaired will last a few more years.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many things to list, but most noticeably:

Arrow A second hand set of Rukka textiles because I'm no longer willing to face the worse weather without the "best" gear.

Arrow &. Most recently a heated Tucano Urbano back brace (reasons) and a heated seat pad.

Both are power bank powered (requires at least a 5000 mAh rated one). The brace will get used, but can't decide if I'll fall in love with the seat pad on a cold commute or if its going to be more gimmick than good.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmBYp4CW/backwarmer.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/br1VSv35/seatwarmer2.png

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:34 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Arrow &. Most recently a heated Tucano Urbano back brace (reasons) and a heated seat pad.

Both are power bank powered (requires at least a 5000 mAh rated one). The brace will get used, but can't decide if I'll fall in love with the seat pad on a cold commute or if its going to be more gimmick than good.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmBYp4CW/backwarmer.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/br1VSv35/seatwarmer2.png

Do you find that your butt gets cold? I think it's probably on the Bottom of my list, mostly, hands, face, torso, then legs.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Do you find that your butt gets cold? I think it's probably on the Bottom of my list, mostly, hands, face, torso, then legs.

Not especially, but owing to "reasons" I think I'm going to need to at least try various heated elements to get me anywhere close to riding in cold weather this time round. I did some reading on here before buying and some say it helps with core temps, and others think it makes you feel like you've wet yourself (personal preference, suppose). I can feel Borg burning away in the middle of nowhere shouting "sheepskin seat cover you posh sod." Laughing

Hands were a big one, but heated grips and swapping between Rukka gloves and heated gloves void that one personally. Other than that its mainly upper body, with the rest being fine. First sign is usually an arm shake, and then it all gets a bit pointless the longer it goes on from there.

I don't know how much I'll use it after a couple of goes. Another £50 left on the bike if it goes walkies and the faffery of deciding if to leave the power pack inside it all the time to remove it at either end of the commute. Rolling Eyes

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:36 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
NJD wrote:

I had a heated seat on my old R1200RT and it’s surprisingly effective. The heat keeps the area between your knees and kidneys surprisingly warm.

I use a Keis heated waistcoat nowadays and that’s a real game changer in cold weather.

It’s not as effective as my BMW 320d with heated seats, heated steering wheels, air con and a rood though Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
heated seat

I never got to find out, sadly. Powered the thing up with a 5000 mAh power bank (the lowest required power for it to "work: assume effective or last longer than five seconds") for around twenty minutes (kept it running assuming it was just taking a while because low power power bank) and it was still cold. Indoors, touching by hand.

Asking £50 for something that requires a power bank (costing £15 upwards for a basic 5000 mAh one, or more if you wish to increase mAh and therefore useable life of the item per ride -- discounting second hand ones) was a tad too insulting for me to bother with wanting another one.

The heated belt is nice, but not having variable heat settings is interesting. Better than nothing. Minus the cumbersomeness with a power-bank inside I think I may grow to like it.

I think I've reached a certain age. Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Been to the Tailors.

Which one? I've been trying to find someone to replace zips on my leather jacket for a while, no one wants to work it.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Arrow A second hand set of Rukka textiles because I'm no longer willing to face the worse weather without the "best" gear.

Looks the same electronics as these heated pads I bought a while back. The heat off them isn't amazing though and it has to be real tight to your body for you to feel anything, so I dont see how you would feel it through bike trousers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-in1-USB-Electric-Heating-Pads-3-Gear-Warming-Thermal-Vest-Clothes-Heated-5V-2A/392958150700?hash=item5b7e21882c:g:uf8AAOSwcJpfbamN

I dont see why you couldn't just wire it up to a USB plug on the bike either instead of using a power bank.

Scotsrick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to get a couple of rides out the bike before I put it in the shed for the winter. First time I’ve ever had anywhere inside to keep a bike.

Normally they used to sit outside under a cover although it used to keep them surprisingly clean and dry.

This is probably my last bike and I want to keep it in as good nick as possible. Although it was 7 years old when I bought it it had done less than 3k miles so was spotless.

Unfortunately I’m rubbish at keeping bikes clean but I’m determined to do so with this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to do is fit the handle muffs on, that's it, ready for winter.

Both my Suzuki's have heated grips and I have a spare set just in case.

My CBF500 doesn't have heated grips but I don't normally use her in the winter unless it's around 10C.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2