Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Educate me on Triumph Bonneville's - 2009-2015 ish, ~£4-5k

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Educate me on Triumph Bonneville's - 2009-2015 ish, ~£4-5k Reply with quote

My wife is looking to replace her CBF500, she's always fancied a Bonneville - loved the style etc. So, we're started looking for a good one, but I'm somewhat swamped by all the variations and minor versions. Budget is around £4-5k, which we'll prob take out a personal loan for. It will need to be to the FI Euro 3 models from 2007+ as she'll be commuting into London ULEZ.

My wife is super short (feck all over 5'), so we're currently looking at a cast wheel T100 model. From what I gather they've a smaller front wheel and more cut down seat. Being able to plug a puncture on a tubeless wheel is likely to be handy too.

I'm seeing variants: T100, SE and Newchurch, which all appear similar. How do these actually differ? Merely different bling and cosmetics? Anything functional different (tank size, equipment etc)?

Is it worth spending a spot more for a newer water cooled T100? or Street Twin?

What are the best hard luggage options? Givi or is there something that looks more 'authentic'?

Any common faults/issues we should look out for?

There's clearly loads about, so I can be choosy. I've seen a couple with super low miles, <1000, despite being a few years old. Do these trigger alarm bells?

She has a test ride booked tomorrow on a 2012 Bonneville 900 with cast wheels at a local dealer. 9k miles on it, priced at £4.5k. That'll be our starting point to compare others to.

FWIW She's test road a RE Interceptor 650 - not bad, but bit of a stretch height wise. And I keep hearing less favourable reports on reliablity.
She test rode a Ducati Scrambler 800 (Full Throttle I think), got on well with it. Did spot their 0% HP deals on new models, but insurance is North of a grand for her. Second hand they're £1-2k more than a Bonneville.
We may look at a Kwak W800 too. Initially seemed a bit high when she sat on one at a show. But they maybe OK with the lowered seat option. Saw a dealer in Scotland with one on 0% HP which was tempting, but would have to test ride one locally first.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know sod all about these except for the fact that a mate has the water cooled t100 on an '18 plate. To my eye it looks small, light and well-made. It sounds lovely too - not in any sense loud, but where it's audible is all in the lower exhaust tones, and I think it's a 270 crank iirc, which makes it more like a v-twin sound than a parallel twin.

I seem to remember this iteration being lighter than other versions from across the years, and it certainly looks it. Only slight problem is they might not be in budget.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really get a bad bike from a mainstream manufacturer, it's all choices.

I'm a Triumph fan, my 4 Hinkley Triumphs have been nice bikes.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two Bonnevilles, nice bikes with no problems, however if your wife would like a lighter bike she may like the Street Twin, I bought one new and had it for two years, no problems at all, low seat, lighter than a Bonneville and handles very well.
Worth a look, tubeless tyres as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bonnie America has a low seat... Laughing

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she test rode the 2012 Bonneville, wasn't bad, but it's was a bit tatty. Found side stand awkward, struggle to get foot under gear level (yeah, can adjust, but it was in stock position).

Also took out a 2020 Street Twin, which she's liked far more and desperately wants to buy now... Found it more comfy, spot lower so more confidence, more beans and more equipment (ABS, TC, modes, fuel gauge etc). Looking at an ex-demo one for around £7k, which seems pretty good as there's very few under £6 and certainly none of the newer 2019+ ones with more power, better brakes etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tempting,

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/triumph/street-twin/57618771/

Risk with an ex demo is that the running in won't have been carried out, you might be better with a higher mileage one owner bike, less chance of it being caned.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
This is tempting,

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/triumph/street-twin/57618771/

Risk with an ex demo is that the running in won't have been carried out, you might be better with a higher mileage one owner bike, less chance of it being caned.

TBH that one is an early 2016 model. From 2019 they beefed it up with 10 extra horses, brembo brakes and a more efficient engine. Not tried the older ones, but various reviews and the Triumph dealer (of course) recommend the latter one.

The exdemo one we're looking at only has 300 miles on it, 2020 one with £1k knocked off. So hopefully early enough to still be in good nick.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:04 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a a 2015 model, had no problems, good luck with your new one, I'm sure that your wife will love it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be less worried about a Bonny being caned, particularly a Street Twin; the engine is massively understressed and isn't a rev monster anyway. I loved my 2017 Street Twin; comfortable, fast enough (loads of torque), looked fantastic, faultlessly reliable in my time (although you'd expect that with a nearly new bike) and incredibly frugal, on a run even with panniers I'd get mid 70s to the gallon which offsets the slightly small fuel tank.

Other things about a Street Twin for commuting; there is a space through the engine to pass a chain meaning you can secure it very well (I used it for my ground anchor, but you could lock it up to a post I expect and keep the chain well clear of the ground. It's also very narrow, with a deep burble and loads of idle-level grunt which makes it fantastic for filtering.

However, like all Bonnevilles, it has lots of fins/shiny bits and basically places to accumulate road gunk; something to think about for year around commuting?

I got mine fitted with factory heated grips; a couple of hundred quid but well worth it and they seamlessly integrate (including the control display being within the binnacle).

If you get a Twin, I've got some black TEC Pannier Rails (designed more to just keep throw-overs clear of the wheels rather than actually hanging the panniers off) which I can let you have for half price as they're not doing anything other than being a wall decoration in my garage at the moment.

Good luck - I miss my Bonny.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/snakepass2small.jpg

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:46 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Other things about a Street Twin for commuting; there is a space through the engine to pass a chain meaning you can secure it very well (I used it for my ground anchor, but you could lock it up to a post I expect and keep the chain well clear of the ground. It's also very narrow, with a deep burble and loads of idle-level grunt which makes it fantastic for filtering.

However, like all Bonnevilles, it has lots of fins/shiny bits and basically places to accumulate road gunk; something to think about for year around commuting?

I got mine fitted with factory heated grips; a couple of hundred quid but well worth it and they seamlessly integrate (including the control display being within the binnacle).

If you get a Twin, I've got some black TEC Pannier Rails (designed more to just keep throw-overs clear of the wheels rather than actually hanging the panniers off) which I can let you have for half price as they're not doing anything other than being a wall decoration in my garage at the moment.

Cool, thanks, good info. Yep, were going to go for the heated grips - didnt' realise they were so integrated, that's cool. Wife will be commuting year round, so sounds like we'll have to stay on top of cleaning and get it ACF50'd (as we normally do).

The Pannier rails sound handy, will likely have those off you. Was going to get a rack and Givi plate anyway. Did you have a rear rack on yours? Tried fitting top box?

I see you have the small screen, which we were looking at too. How did you find this as far as wind protection? Did it offer much or help deflect a spot?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
Cool, thanks, good info. Yep, were going to go for the heated grips - didnt' realise they were so integrated, that's cool. Wife will be commuting year round, so sounds like we'll have to stay on top of cleaning and get it ACF50'd (as we normally do).

The Pannier rails sound handy, will likely have those off you. Was going to get a rack and Givi plate anyway. Did you have a rear rack on yours? Tried fitting top box?

I see you have the small screen, which we were looking at too. How did you find this as far as wind protection? Did it offer much or help deflect a spot?

Yep the integrated grips are a tiny little button next to the grip, nothing else suggesting they're there. I thought it was worth the extra £££ over an ugly aftermarket solution.

Mine was treated to ACF50 regularly; it left my ownership looking showroom fresh as a result. Autosol on the header pipes works a treat too; they come up beautiful (not mirror, but bright brushed silver) but most you see will be bronze/brown as most folk don't polish them.

I didn't have a rack or topbox; I think the latter would look a bit odd on that style of bike but I admit it would be practical. Mine was a pleasure machine so practicalities were less pressing.

Yes I had a Dart flyscreen on mine; it made a surprising difference actually - took quite a bit of wind pressure off the chest. I found without it I had to really hang on at motorway speeds, but with it things became far more relaxed. Still got it on the helmet, but I could live with that. It is a naked bike after all . . .

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:58 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Yep the integrated grips are a tiny little button next to the grip, nothing else suggesting they're there. I thought it was worth the extra £££ over an ugly aftermarket solution.

Mine was treated to ACF50 regularly; it left my ownership looking showroom fresh as a result. Autosol on the header pipes works a treat too; they come up beautiful (not mirror, but bright brushed silver) but most you see will be bronze/brown as most folk don't polish them.

I didn't have a rack or topbox; I think the latter would look a bit odd on that style of bike but I admit it would be practical. Mine was a pleasure machine so practicalities were less pressing.

Yes I had a Dart flyscreen on mine; it made a surprising difference actually - took quite a bit of wind pressure off the chest. I found without it I had to really hang on at motorway speeds, but with it things became far more relaxed. Still got it on the helmet, but I could live with that. It is a naked bike after all . . .

So, it's done, deposit paid! They're currently throwing in £500 of accessories in, so gone for heated grips, crash bars, fender extender and fly screen.

Agreed on heated grips, only had Oxford ones in past and yeah, not the most aesthetically pleasing..

I hear you regarding top box, however, the bike be used for commuting and touring too, so they'll be many times when bolting hard luggage on will be essential. I think the rack alone still holds the authentic look, and we'll still be able to leave the box at home on occasions.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:

So, it's done, deposit paid! They're currently throwing in £500 of accessories in, so gone for heated grips, crash bars, fender extender and fly screen.

It's a nice little sweetener when there's a deal like that on. Thumbs Up

Peterrebel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all you t120 bonneville fans

I had the first 1959 bonnevlle to come to the uk and i had it from my 1938 matchless 1000cc V twin part exchanged in london in 1959

Want to hear the full sorry where and how i got it

Im 83

Ace cafe etc i lived in muswell hill london i has two Vincents a manx norton and an arial square four etc etc etc etc and an Indian Chief ....and a .Brough Superia etc etc and more etc

Rebel Peter.

Peter Hall muswel hill london N 10

Now live in Essex i ride a Yamaha Cruiser 600

Anyone wanna email me Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1