Spec a video editing PC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
The only negative I see is that the motherboard manual doesn't specify that it supports NVMe on the M2 slots (unless you can find it.)

Manual, no, but its 100% got PCIe 4.0 NVMe support.

That score is very low, just to check when you go to task manager and click RAM/Memory, does it give you the right speed on the bottom right? Shouldn't have much influence (not that much anyway!) but going from non XMP to XMP gave me 15ish FPS in most games.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104385

@GB I am amazed that a 2080Ti and a bigger/higher core count is just a bit further on, are you running a sensible motherboard?

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/3d.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:29 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Manual, no, but its 100% got PCIe 4.0 NVMe support.

Not the same.

It looks like he only has 2 of those 3 slots that are on the PCIe bus and only 2 MAY support NVMe. The 3rd one that is vertical goes through the chipset so hopefully he's not using that for his OS. The SATA connections that go through the chipset specifically say they support NVMe.

Paddy. wrote:
That score is very low, just to check when you go to task manager and click RAM/Memory, does it give you the right speed on the bottom right? Shouldn't have much influence (not that much anyway!) but going from non XMP to XMP gave me 15ish FPS in most games.

I rarely use the windows stuff it doesn't give me enough information, I use the apps as posted previously (CPU-Z & GPU-Z), but yes it is showing the correct speed. I have the slower 2666 because I couldn't get 3200, with ECC. I did try some that weren't on the QVN list but they didn't work, and are still sitting here.

Paddy. wrote:

@GB I am amazed that a 2080Ti and a bigger/higher core count is just a bit further on, are you running a sensible motherboard?

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40.
IIRC XMP is an Intel thing...
My slower RAM & ECC may be why my system gives a lower than expected result.

Good to see what others are getting, nice upload.
Regards
GB

Last edited by GettinBetter on 17:38 - 07 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:38 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECC RAM vs Non-ECC? Any reason for using ECC? Unless its a development machine that must have absolute zero downtime, I'd say its a wasted expense?

That board will support something beyond whats possible right now anyway, I'm more concerned at the low 3dmark score than anything else. My pc is 3 years old now albeit water cooled so runs a fuck ton cooler than most, but its almost on par with yours at 1440p with zero overclock, but a chunk above OPs which is worrying as the card is aleague above mine, a few in fact Shocked

Disk speed means jack shit to me, more so for OP, but I don't see it being a problem in whatever slot, I would say though there are lots of drives in his machine, more than I'd probably have.

XMP is an Intel thing, I think its DOCP for AMD stuff (Haven't touched an AMD machine in time though.) Your GPU looks to be throttling given the sketchy stability at the start though? That might be why mines almost on par?

@Steve your GPU score is really low, what version of driver are you running?

Last edited by P. on 17:44 - 07 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:44 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ECC RAM vs Non-ECC? Any reason for using ECC? Unless its a development machine that must have absolute zero downtime, I'd say its a wasted expense?

I wanted a workstation rather than a Gaming PC, But didn't want to pay workstation prices. It's ok if you loose a few bits when video editing/gaming/etc, nobody will notice the odd pixel going adrift, but in programming I want no losses or risk of losses.

Each to his own ...eh.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:00 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for sure, totally get that!

Not much is stored on my rig though. Games which are replicated over 2 disks because downloading few hundred gigs per game is fucking annoying and films/game recordings.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
....That board will support something beyond whats possible right now anyway...

That was my plan, each time I upgrade a component it'll give it a new lease of life. Hopefully, well it has on my other machines over the years.

Paddy. wrote:
... I'm more concerned at the low 3dmark score than anything else. My pc is 3 years old now albeit water cooled so runs a fuck ton cooler than most, but its almost on par with yours at 1440p with zero overclock....

Ah, I was wondering if you had overclocked at all. I also looked at water cooling but apparently water systems have a life expectancy of around 6 years, and I tend to keep PCs a lot longer than that, so didn't want to take the risk.

Paddy. wrote:
...but a chunk above OPs which is worrying as the card is aleague above mine, a few in fact Shocked ...

That's what I was thinking.

Paddy. wrote:
....XMP is an Intel thing, I think its DOCP for AMD stuff ...

Ah, ok I'll have a look.

Paddy. wrote:
. Your GPU looks to be throttling given the sketchy stability at the start though? That might be why mines almost on par?

Yeah, been looking at the graphs, can't see anything obvious, I wonder how it would do with Non ECC and the 3200 RAM? Still a bit miffed at having this other RAM sat here, bought it from the USA.... even thought about putting it in just to try it alongside the working stuff, you never know....

Regards
GB

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:26 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Ah, I was wondering if you had overclocked at all. I also looked at water cooling but apparently water systems have a life expectancy of around 6 years, and I tend to keep PCs a lot longer than that, so didn't want to take the risk.

No overclock, but im not keeping a graphics card for 6 years, I reckon it'll be upgraded when the 4000 Nvidia stuff comes out, at that point 12th gen i9 will be a thing and DDR5 RAM so... I'll wait for now, but water is much colder and less hassle than most people think Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of a water cooling setup has a life expectancy of six years? Confused

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram speed like fine.
Just did a clean install of gpu driver.
Will run again, yeah kind of shocked it's so low.

Same results... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:53 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Which part of a water cooling setup has a life expectancy of six years? Confused

I personally don't agree. But it's something I read somewhere when researching water options. With modern additives in cooling systems these days, if it's done right it it should last tens of yrs, similar to a car.

But there again, much of this stuff is made in chinah, so anything could happen.

I think it depends on who assembles it. The slightest mistake/mishap/oversight could render your PC toast. Not a risk I was willing to take with quite a large outlay.

Last edited by GettinBetter on 20:59 - 07 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:56 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't answer my questions.

Stevie GooGs wrote:

1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

GettinBetter wrote:

1. Which slot is this in?
2. Have you installed your OS on it?

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
.... but going from non XMP to XMP gave me 15ish FPS in most games....

That IS over clocking. XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is an overclocked profile for your RAM.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8 this PC was built for me, the OS is installed 1TB is on the m.2 i checked in BIOS as to what port i cant see without removing the cover

I have both of these installed
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4452-gpu-z.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Hi m8 this PC was built for me, the OS is installed 1TB is on the m.2 i checked in BIOS as to what port i cant see without removing the cover

I have both of these installed
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4452-gpu-z.html

Ok, I was asking because if the vertical M2 slot was being used, it would be the slowest one of the three. If the 1Tb is under the heatsink plate parallel to the mobo, it's all good.

Does the CPU-Z show your memory running in quad mode or just dual ?

Did my test again too.... still got the green line the wrong side of average.. Neutral

Last edited by GettinBetter on 21:26 - 07 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you can spot anything?

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:33 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
CPU

Can you doa SS of the 'memory' tab?

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think if found something, i set cpu to gaming mode and now fps 100+ just waiting for it to finish.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a bit more like it.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/57996319?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104393

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help btw as i would never have realised as i dont have anything for it to compare against.

I do like the idea of Raid10 to speed up the load times a bit but think i will look at sorting my video drives to see how much space i really need.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:19 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wow, that's an improvement, do you notice the difference?

I agree the compare issue was good, you even got me looking at my machine now, for any possible improvements LOL

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a hangover from hell, well whisky to be correct (first time in a long time). Well be using it all of tomorrow, i did notice in the 3d mark smoother.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just so cool. So glad you fixed it. It put's a grin on ya face when it all goes to plan. Have fun.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:12 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
.... but going from non XMP to XMP gave me 15ish FPS in most games....

That IS over clocking. XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is an overclocked profile for your RAM.

True, but its designed to do that, without XMP, this ram is 2133.... and that isn't the way I take my biscuits.

That score is much better Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5