Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Used bike advise needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Used bike advise needed Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,
I finally passed my test and want to get a big bike.
I am looking for a cruiser and obviously buying used opens up more options within my budget.
I used to have 125cc Honda and I bought brand new.
I am not a diy kind of guy, spanners and grease dont excite me, they make me nervous and stressed, just being honest with myself here. Even chain adjustment procedure makes me angry. So I will not be working on my bike myself. But obviously I don't want to be stuck in garage.
Question is, how old of a bike is safe to buy so parts are easily available lets say for next 5-6 years (10 years ideally)?
Also what mileage is safe?
I will be definitely buying from a dealer, that is for sure. I know Harley fits the bill, but I want to look at Japanese and Euro manufacturers options as well, so model suggestions for cruiser 900cc yo 1250cc are welcome as well. Id love an 1800cc monster but I ride mostly in town, so will be wasting petrol on super big engine.
Thank you all so much in advance!!!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I'm currently working on a 44-year old project bike, Japanese, single cylinder, which has a piston that can be replaced with a known car piston, and which has standard parts for absolutely everything - the footpegs are the same as for 20 years' worth of bikes of all sizes, the seals and bearings are all standard sizes, etc. The only things that would need serious machining and remanufacturing if something went wrong would be the SOHC and the crank. Everything else has a solution. That's the real strength of old-school Japanese standard bikes.

However, not all of them were like that. Apparently, Yamaha Viragos have/had serious parts sourcing problems, as they kept changing the parts slightly during the production run. Some early 80s Hondas have the "chocolate cams" problem, etc.

I guess my point is that parts availability is more of a concern for older bikes. In the case of the Japanese big 4, they all used to design and manufacture most of the bike themselves, and the component dimensions and specs they used were the same between them, and they "borrowed" heavily from each others' designs. You mentioned a timeframe of about 5-6 years, or 10 years at best. That's a very short timeframe. Therefore, parts availability should not factor into your decision at all, provided you're looking at sensible mass production motorcycles from the big names. That's my opinion.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:19 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Hello

I'm currently working on a 44-year old project bike, Japanese, single cylinder, which has a piston that can be replaced with a known car piston, and which has standard parts for absolutely everything - the footpegs are the same as for 20 years' worth of bikes of all sizes, the seals and bearings are all standard sizes, etc. The only things that would need serious machining and remanufacturing if something went wrong would be the SOHC and the crank. Everything else has a solution. That's the real strength of old-school Japanese standard bikes.

However, not all of them were like that. Apparently, Yamaha Viragos have/had serious parts sourcing problems, as they kept changing the parts slightly during the production run. Some early 80s Hondas have the "chocolate cams" problem, etc.

I guess my point is that parts availability is more of a concern for older bikes. In the case of the Japanese big 4, they all used to design and manufacture most of the bike themselves, and the component dimensions and specs they used were the same between them, and they "borrowed" heavily from each others' designs. You mentioned a timeframe of about 5-6 years, or 10 years at best. That's a very short timeframe. Therefore, parts availability should not factor into your decision at all, provided you're looking at sensible mass production motorcycles from the big names. That's my opinion.

HI Bhud,

thank you for expanded reply.

So Kawasaki Vupcans, Triumph Speedmasters, Suzuki Intruders and Yamaha XVs, all discontinued in UK around 2016-2017, should be fine?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
So Kawasaki Vupcans, Triumph Speedmasters, Suzuki Intruders and Yamaha XVs, all discontinued in UK around 2016-2017, should be fine?

Yes. Generally speaking, anything from the big manufacturers and made in the last 5 years should be absolutely fine.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
WiseB34R wrote:
So Kawasaki Vulcans, Triumph Speedmasters, Suzuki Intruders and Yamaha XVs, all discontinued in UK around 2016-2017, should be fine?

Yes. Generally speaking, anything from the big manufacturers and made in the last 5 years should be absolutely fine.

Thank you!

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:47 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to think very carefully about the style of bike for the majority of riding you do.

The bigger the bike the heavier, (generally) worse turning circle and ability to balance at lower speeds etc.

I almost never use my k1300 in town because of things like this. The 500 is light years better for this environment.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:55 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
You need to think very carefully about the style of bike for the majority of riding you do.

The bigger the bike the heavier, (generally) worse turning circle and ability to balance at lower speeds etc.

I almost never use my k1300 in town because of things like this. The 500 is light years better for this environment.

Thank you for your reply. What you saying makes sense. If I could afford couple of bikes then maybe, but no way I will get boring platform engined bike as only bike. I get what you saying about turning circles. I am considering filtering ability as indeed I do ride in town. I want a bike to show off TBH and cruisers are best for that. Sportsbikes, big adventures, nakeds - only other bikers like those. I want BMW drivers to envy me when I pass them in traffic and kill their rustbucket E39 off traffic light. And that asks for a cruiser.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 10:32 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
I want a bike to show off TBH and cruisers are best for that. Sportsbikes, big adventures, nakeds - only other bikers like those. I want BMW drivers to envy me when I pass them in traffic and kill their rustbucket E39 off traffic light. And that asks for a cruiser.

If it's ostentatious you want it has to be a V-Max then, surely?

Or an F6C!

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 10:33 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything Japanese with EFI should be bulletproof, generally...

Don't let mileage put you off, if well maintained no reason why most Jap bikes shouldn't do 100k plus, especially cruisers as they tend to have lazy under-stressed engines. My ex-police Fazer has done nearly 50k now and never missed a beat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1