Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A place to practive for a struggling 18 yr old

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:51 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: A place to practive for a struggling 18 yr old Reply with quote

Good afternoon all,

The title says it all really but basically my son wants a bike and as a biker myself I'm good with that.

He had a "taster day" with a local riding school as he's never even sat on a motorbike let alone rode one so we coughed up £100 for him to have this day to see if he likes it and how he gets on. He struggled a bit but by the end of it he began to get it and was comfortably doing his figure of 8. The taster day only lasted for 3 hours which I though was a bit rough for £100 but there you go.

Following Monday we got him booked for his CBT £160. Needless to say the instructor deemed him not safe enough to go out on the road which is fair enough and I have no beef with the driving school as they are there to promote safety above all else.

I think some folk just need a bit more time on the bike for things to click and my son is one of them people.

He still wants to do it but I'm reluctant to him or my wallet through another traumatic experience so I was thinking about buying him his 125 then finding somewhere for him to practice under my supervision.

Although I'm not an instuctor I feel experienced enough to get him round the cones.

Question is, where can he practice. We have a long driveway so he can do his clutch control there. I'd be insured on the bike so I can take it anywhere.

Would a supermarket car park be OK after close time or BnQ?

Any ideas guys and galls?

Cheers

Gaz
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car parks are deemed to be considered the same as highways under the law so no. yopu need a correct license and insurance to drive or ride in them.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:12 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I did wonder about that. We've always gone by the book so I'm not about to start breaking laws no at my age.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 17 I really struggle with my CBT too and went 3 or 4 times before being given the cert. I had my own bike though and took it up to an industrial estate (in a car) for some practice and I found it really helped me feel more comfortable and less nervous on a bike.

It's not legal though so it's up to you if you want to go down that route. I'd say give the CBT another go first and let the experienced instructors fix the problems. What I did in the end was have the school just do a day with me and my brother (who was also struggling) so we could get trained without having to think about slowing everyone else down and such.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good info Ayrton thanks.

The school he's at is really busy and they always have 3 or 4 riders doing the same training.

On his CBT there was a guy who'd been riding for years on a CBT so was there to re-new it and 2 other guys on scooters so My son was the only one on a geared bike with little to. no experience. Not really fair but life isn't fair is it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:18 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
The school he's at is really busy and they always have 3 or 4 riders doing the same training.

Each instructor can only take two riders on the road part of the CBT at a time.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:41 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Mabe they have road instructers ready to take over for the ones who get through the cones.

It's gota be a tough job for the instructors. It's alot to learn but it's also a lot to teach in such a small space of time.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
That's interesting. Mabe they have road instructers ready to take over for the ones who get through the cones.

It's gota be a tough job for the instructors. It's alot to learn but it's also a lot to teach in such a small space of time.
If all 4 pupils are good for the road bit we used to leave 2 on their own for 2 hours whilst we took the first two out, then come back for a quick wee and back out again with the next 2 pupils. Where I worked had a large area with pretend roads to practice on, so they could poodle around that whilst trying not to be knocked off by the learner car drivers.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:52 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this wasn't the case for my son. We paid for the whole day but he only got 3 hours into it before they sent him on his way.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the schools position on welcoming him back for another attempt to get on the road for the "on the road" element of the C.B.T? Are they asking for a fee, for example? The C.B.T isn't a test and can't be failed, but policy for each school in this case varies.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£160 for a CBT... Neutral

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only truly legal option is private land, ideally a field so if he drops it he is unlikely to hurt the bike or himself. Obviously you need the owner's permission and you need to get the bike and him there.

Other option is does your work have an enclosed car park? Or know a mate that owns somewhere that does? If it's gated off from the highway I doubt it'd be treated as an extension of such (unlike supermarket car parks which are accessible to the public). That said, the premises owner might be wary as they won't want your son putting the bike through their business' front door!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very contentious legal issue. If in doubt you have to assume its not private land.
I seem to remember the definition is to do with the Royal Mail, public land is accessible by the RM, hence even your own driveway is NOT private land, and this issue is resolved by private land owners fencing off their land with a mailbox on the outside.
Private land must be fenced off and the boundaries defined as such.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:29 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned to ride the bike by my dad taking me to a empty dirt car park and doing laps of it on his bike.

Just find the right spot where you are not getting in the way or liable to damage anything.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how the HSE see it:

Quote:
The Road Traffic Act
10 The Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended (RTA) applies to England, Scotland and Wales. In simple terms, the Act applies to vehicles on the road where the public have access, however in practice this can be a complex matter to resolve.

11 The Act contains definitions of a number of terms including that of a “road”. For England and Wales, Section 192(1) of the Act defines a “road” as: “any highway and other road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes.” For Scotland, Section 192(2) of the Act defines a “road” as having the same meaning from the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 being: “any way (other than a waterway) over which there is a public right of passage (by whatever means) and includes the road's verge, and any bridge (whether permanent or temporary) over which, or tunnel through which, a road passes, and any reference to a road includes a part thereof”.

12 The Road Traffic Act 1991 extended the scope of dangerous driving to include “other public place” as well as “road”. Further guidance on the 1991 amendments can be found in OC 789/4.

13 There is a significant amount of case law in respect of what is a “road”, “public access” and “other public place”, however it is likely that the RTA applies if the answer is ‘yes' to the following:

- Is it a road?
- Do the general public (see paragraph 14) have access? Most Port Authorities have a statutory duty to ensure free access to a dock or quayside.
- Is the access at least tolerated by the owner or proprietor of the road in question?

14 Care must be taken to prove that the general public have access, and not merely a special class of general public e.g. access is only permitted to those visiting the docks on business. If only a special class of general public is permitted access, it is likely that the RTA does not apply, however legal advice may be required.

However this only applies to any offences relating to the RTA. There are further considerations regarding liability, trespass etc.

My drive is not a road - for example I can legally keep a SORNed car on it - but I still have a duty of care to anybody using it.

In reality there are few easily-accessed places where an unlicensed driver or rider can legally drive or ride a vehicle. A friend or relative with a field is your best bet.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:46 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

On his CBT there was a guy who'd been riding for years on a CBT so was there to re-new it and 2 other guys on scooters so My son was the only one on a geared bike with little to. no experience. Not really fair but life isn't fair is it.

Your son could always do his CBT on a twist & go scooter!... He is then allowed to ride a geared bike or twist & go.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Learned to ride the bike by my dad taking me to a empty dirt car park and doing laps of it on his bike.

Just find the right spot where you are not getting in the way or liable to damage anything.

This. E-gads whats life without a bit of rule-bending/breaking. 'No risk no fun' as a friend of mine says (he is French).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:22 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
TheGazWaz wrote:

Your son could always do his CBT on a twist & go scooter!... He is then allowed to ride a geared bike or twist & go.

I'm sure that if you pass on a none geared bike you can only ride a none geared bike and he doesn't want a scooter.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:25 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
So what's the schools position on welcoming him back for another attempt to get on the road for the "on the road" element of the C.B.T? Are they asking for a fee, for example? The C.B.T isn't a test and can't be failed, but policy for each school in this case varies.

Sorry yes, good point this and in defence of the riding school in question they have already informed us that he still has his road time owing. Obviously he still needs to prove to them that he's safe enough so he'll have to do and pay for the first part again.

This is why I so want him to get some practice in. I reckon a couple of afternoons with me and he'll be good to go.

Incidentally I'll be insured on the bike so I'll be taking him on the back to where ever we end up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
I'm sure that if you pass on a none geared bike you can only ride a none geared bike and he doesn't want a scooter.

Combing a response to this quote and your response to my comments above:

You're thinking of the full license.

The schools response is a bit silly buggers. "Yes you can have the two hours on the road at no extra cost but must pay us more money to prove you can have those two hours for free despite already having paid us £160."

How much are they asking, and is it defined on their website cost page? Say they want £100 for the morning part again I'd just ask for the £60 back if they are not willing to let you put him in on a twist and go subject to you training him in private.

I mean it is their business, and insurance; and the road element is always subject to them being happy your not going to spanner the bike but you've lined their pockets to the value of £260 and from the other side of the screen that isn't exactly cheap by any means. Its not him, its their business approach and costs.

You can't win either way. You need to decide if you can reach a medium with them, get the money back or go elsewhere for cheaper.

All comes down to how much more they want, and if you're willing to pay that. And if you do I'd go on a scooter so he's only got to cover the basics, and then teach him yourself which is a bit nuts but what he'd be doing by riding unaccompanied with L plates anyway.

As a reference I just looked at my local school I used and their cost is £180, and £130 for the next school on the list. Wild prices. *promises never to loose license at those figures Laughing *

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

wrong

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

As a reference I just looked at my local school I used and their cost is £180, and £130 for the next school on the list. Wild prices. *promises never to loose license at those figures Laughing *

I take it all you guys live "darn sarf"

Up here in the wilds of Chesvegas, it's £99 at my local school, with no extra charge if it takes longer than a day

I thought that was pretty standard pricing, and standard practice on the extra days too, as all the local ones to me offer the same service

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/cbt_pricing.png

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
TheGazWaz wrote:

wrong

I'm going to bow down to you're knowledge on this one. And the fact that I've just googled it and, yes, you are quite correct. If you pass on an auto you ride a geared. Wow. That seems really crazy to me but there you go. You learn something new everyday.

I wish I'd know that before I put him though it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I take it all you guys live "darn sarf"

Up here in the wilds of Chesvegas, it's £99 at my local school, with no extra charge if it takes longer than a day

In the middle, personally.

£180 price is from a school that's known for being a little bit more than others, but I didn't pay that years ago (two fold: either because covid and need profit, or increase demand and therefore more profit).

A price between yours and £130 is reasonable for a C.B.T I would say.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
I'm going to bow down to you're knowledge on this one. And the fact that I've just googled it and, yes, you are quite correct. If you pass on an auto you ride a geared. Wow. That seems really crazy to me but there you go. You learn something new everyday.

It IS really crazy and goes to show what a load of bollocks box ticking the whole thing is. You can quite legally go ride a geared bike out on the road without having the faintest idea how to use a clutch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2