Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2Electron Mcfly... The motorcycle engine emulator

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:44 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: 2Electron Mcfly... The motorcycle engine emulator Reply with quote

According to the vid on the site. The designers say that the bike can emulate 1000 engines in 1 bike.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/mcfly-petrol-engine-emulator-electric-bike/

Who says two strokes were dead?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amusing but ultimately pointless. Surely there's so much more to a bike than just the engine? Tyres, suspension, peg position, seat height, etc.

What next? Teslas that make "vroom vroom" noises?!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the rider who didn't really want an electric bike in the first place. Laughing
Here's another one. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aGUW7RpILtU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Surely there's so much more to a bike than just the engine? Tyres, suspension, peg position, seat height, etc.

Ultimately (imo) no. You don't see many reviews waxing lyrical about the genre defining peg position and the exquisitely engineered seat height. Well maybe some cruiser reviews but they mostly have shit engines in them, to match the shit chassis and shit suspension so I guess peg position and seat height are all that's left Laughing

I like petrol engine characteristics. When a big GSXR tears through the top end of the RPM's, dancing around the gearbox on a little 400 or 600 IL4 to keep up with bigger bikes, using the torque of a big single or twin to shoot yourself out of corners..... those type of engine dependent things are a big part of what I love about bikes. You have a little 2smoke, you can't be telling me that the silly revvy motor isn't the headline attraction?

Electric ones seem a bit sterile or watered down in comparison, I don't doubt they can be mind bendingly fast but once you numb to the actual speed (and you will), what's left?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, today I want to pretend I'm riding a 2-stroke MotoGP bike - hold on, let me choose the soundtrack from my drop-down list."

So lame, words can't even describe it.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
"Oh, today I want to pretend I'm riding a 2-stroke MotoGP bike - hold on, let me choose the soundtrack from my drop-down list."

So lame, words can't even describe it.

Much more than a soundtrack though

Quote:
To do this the software manages the electric motor to copy the performance, gear ratios, powerband, sound and even vibrations of a conventional bike. But it’s more than just talk - to prove it works they’ve built a concept bike called the Emula.

[......]

In one of its emulation modes, the sensors on the clutch and gearbox go live, so to ride it properly you need to pull the clutch and tap the lever to change gears. Don’t do it and the motor will hit an electronic rev limiter, holding you at your current speed – when you have to do this though, is up to you.

If I'm going to have to go electric eventually I want this option.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of being able to change how the engine performs, but blasting fake sounds from a speaker is just fucking stupid. Surely there cant be many people buying electric bikes this soon that care about the sound.

Maybe I'm odd but I quite like the idea of silent bikes anyway, seems like it would be quite peaceful on a quiet road.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Ultimately (imo) no. You don't see many reviews waxing lyrical about the genre defining peg position and the exquisitely engineered seat height...

I probably should have said "a motorbike is more than a sum of its parts" Wink

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:57 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bit of novelty. It will wear off pretty fast.

The weird thing is it will mimic the vibration of what ever engine you choose. So its basically got a big Nintendo 64 rumble pak hidden somewhere

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

The weird thing is it will mimic the vibration of what ever engine you choose.

It might be popular with the ladies Shifty
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:52 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
spottedtango wrote:

The weird thing is it will mimic the vibration of what ever engine you choose.

It might be popular with the ladies Shifty

True I’d be thinking..why does every woman set the default mode to a 1200cc single cylinder Thinking

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely though it has to be a step in the right direction to getting folk converted from ICE to electric (not that i am in any way a fan of electric vehicles)

What are most folks gripes with electric (other than range), lack of noise (check), lack of feel (check), no gearbox to rip up and down through (check)

As far as electric bikes go, this has surely got to be the most convincing "replica" of an ICE bike........ how can that not be a good thing (and i'm sure you could still put it into silient wirring electric mode if you wished)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about 'converting' us oldsters. We had our fun, and we won't be around forever.
But soundtracks and simulations? No, not for me. Just knowing it's not the real thing would detract from the experience. Just let the age of the ICE pass. New generations won't know or care what they missed. In fact, you could say the same about motorcycles in general. Ban them outright, and in a couple of generations, no one will know or care what the fuss was about.
Except that, if you were born after the age of steam, does anything stir in you when you see, hear, feel something like The Flying Scotsman in motion? There's something there, isn't there? You get a sense that you missed out on something. But no one wants to simulate them in a modern, clean electric train.
I'm the same with a big Yank V8 muscle car - far from the best handling things around, but just something about all that mass and power in glorious, fire-breathing, deafening motion. No subtlety whatsoever, in your face. But give me the real thing, for god's sake don't simulate it.
It's just how us blokes used to be.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's not about 'converting' us oldsters. We had our fun, and we won't be around forever.

Quote:
Just let the age of the ICE pass.

You're forgetting that every kid in the 80s had a picture of Lambo Countach and/or Ferrari Testarossa on the wall, or kept magazines and catalogs with bikes like the FZR1000 and VMAX in it. If they're still alive, they're grown-ups now, and not yet oldies.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Quote:
Just let the age of the ICE pass.

You're forgetting that every kid in the 80s had a picture of Lambo Countach and/or Ferrari Testarossa on the wall, or kept magazines and catalogs with bikes like the FZR1000 and VMAX in it. If they're still alive, they're grown-ups now, and not yet oldies.

I'm not getting your point. Are you saying those people would be happy with a simulation rather than the real thing?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine though in 20 years time say, when ICE bikes may be banned, and the only option is electric

Just imagine how bland each manufactures range will be, as they will all essentially have the "same" engine characteristics (flat, linear, no noise power)

At least this sort of technology will allow you to pick & choose (even if hard coded by the manufacturer) what sort of power delivery you want, and i'd be pretty damn sure you could turn off the simulated sound if you wanted

The beauty about bikes compared to cars, is the character of their engines, wheter you want a screaming inline 4, or buckets of low down torque from a big single, everyone has their favourite, and this will allow that to continue (in one shape or another)

Cars on the other hand, are generally just a mode of transport, driven in the most part by uninterested folk, they just want the easist way of getting from A to B, so flat linear power appeals to these folk, not so much to the bikers, who generally own a bike as a "fun" mode of transport

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 14:39 - 14 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm not getting your point. Are you saying those people would be happy with a simulation rather than the real thing?

Speaking for myself, as one of those people, I'd say absolutely not. Apart from the sound, smell and vibration, it's about lots of other things.

There is a fairly devoted petrolhead community among people much younger than myself, regularly getting turfed out of supermarket car parks on weekends. Also a fair few much younger people who enjoy the mechanical side of car ownership, and these people have their equivalents in the bike world. See how quaint it seems in 2020 to say something like "the world of bikes"? Laughing You see, that's a huge part of the attraction. Your only way to relive a past you had or never had is via these fire-breathing time machines. It's nice that they're heavy, that Karen would need to learn how to operate it and couldn't just jump on it and go, etc. The attraction resides in all sorts of things. It ain't over.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of thing just reminds me, strangely, of tobacco flavoured e-cigs.

I think the idea is to ease the transition to e-cigs (and e-motorbikes) by making them familiar. But it's misguided, definitely in the case of e-cigs (which manage to taste nothing like cigarettes and still taste like shit), and probably in this case, partially because they never get it quite right, and partially because you KNOW it's fake.

And in both cases, they should be embracing the positives, not trying to be something they're not. E-cigs can have a vast variety of flavours not available to "real" cigarettes. E-motorbikes can have staggering torque from 0 rpm. There's no fluids (oil, coolant, fuel) to deal with, no cooling system, no filters, no valve clearances, and no vibrations. The Zero SR/S doesn't even have a gearbox. How quiet they are could easily be seen as a positive as well as a negative.

Obviously I'm skipping the downsides (range, cost etc.). And biking is a hugely emotional subject, so some people will never like them. But I think the people making electric motorbikes would be better off ploughing their energy into working on improving, and highlighting, the good things about electric bikes, rather than trying to make them into something they're not, purely to accommodate people who will never truly be satisfied by the "fake" version.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are you saying those people would be happy with a simulation rather than the real thing?

If the options were a bunch of essentially identical bikes with instant flat power delivery, or 1 where i can optionally turn on engine modes, a clutch and gears..... then yes gimme the one that does stuff.

I'm interested in this when the petrol option is no longer an option but if the market poo-poo's it now, it'll get shit canned and then we'll be able to choose from 50 bikes with the same characterless motor.

Really do we wanna be reading bike reviews that actually do go on about genre defining peg position and the exquisitely engineered seat height, because there is nothing else of note.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I'm interested in this when the petrol option is no longer an option but if the market poo-poo's it now, it'll get shit canned and then we'll be able to choose from 50 bikes with the same characterless motor.

You needn't be concerned about what I think really. I get it for when ICEs are gone - at least, for the power characteristics bit I do. But it won't affect me Smile
Actually, how about turbo characteristics? Mine was very distinctive in that regard. Felt like an exponential curve, albeit with an upper limit.
GSTEEL32 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: 2Electron Mcfly... The motorcycle engine emulator Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
According to the vid on the site. The designers say that the bike can emulate 1000 engines in 1 bike.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/mcfly-petrol-engine-emulator-electric-bike/

Who says two strokes were dead?

Presumably when steam railway engines were invented, someone tried to make the guard make frequent loud farting noises and heave great lumps of dung out of the back of his van, and the fireman burn hay and oats, and gave the driver a whip?
curlylegend This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an odd first post. Are you going to start selling beard oil, or bobbers or something?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:20 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't these electric vehicles need some kind of sound emitter anyway for safety in city/town situations with pedestrians and visually impaired people?

On my commute into the city on a petrol bike with a loud pipe I've had many pedestrians step off the kerb oblivious in front of me - or appear from behind stationery cars/buses - on something silent it would be even more likely.

As mentioned - people should embrace electric bikes as electric bikes - and develop a new culture celebrating the new technology - and don't they make a pleasing turbine sound at high speed anyway?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2