ZXR400 parts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

gav501
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:16 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: ZXR400 parts Reply with quote

hi all,
I've recently bought a zxr400 which needs a engine rebuild. Having a look around online I'm struggling to find new parts and wondering if anybody can help. I need a conrod, piston and liner. Seeing as I am rebuilding it I want new parts and want to replace things as sets although the parts seem to be discontinued. Any advice on where to source the parts would be great and any info on having liners replaced would also be fab can I get custom liners made?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Good luck.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR-400L-ZXR400-L3-Engine-Parts-Etc/264876426532?hash=item3dabdd8524:g:I-0AAOSwHfdfYAAP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=zxr+400+engine&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=zxr+400

Not new, but better than nothing.

HTH.

gav501
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:10 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies but I really don't want to go down the route of secondhand conrods etc because the the condition will be unknown and don't want to be rebuilding it again anytime soon after spending good money and time on doing it this time I will drop secondhand engine in for the moment but long term I want this one rebuilt . I have seen a few people talking about racing them and would have thought they have some sort of parts backup without going down the used part route.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?machineid=4804&year=1993&model=ZX400-L3&country=GB

Probably the next best source I have (owing to the fact that you may have to change the year to whatever yours is to get more accurate P/N's if they vary between years).

Phone them up, providing you phone at a time that the guy that works in their parts store at the back is in (no I don't know what time that is).

If they can't get it then I'd use the P/N and search the net to see what comes up (including global sellers).

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:02 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a copy of Practical Sportsbikes or Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and have a look through the ads in the back of there. CMM has an ok website which might turn up something as well https://www.classicmechanics.com

Might also be worth having a look and asking on https://400greybike.com/forum/index.php

You're also into vintage territory now, get ready to stand in a field bartering over overpriced parts laid out on a tarpaulin. https://www.vjmc.com

Have you also considered just doing an engine swap depending on what needs doing? Might be less hassle and time consuming to do, although obvious unknowns with a s/h engine.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:47 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those engine had a reputation for being quite tough- part of the reason for racing them was that they could be tuned up to a reliable 70hp or so.

If your ones needs those parts, the only thing I can guarantee is that it needs even more parts. At a guess it was low on oil and spending a lot of time at silly rpms, leading to it throwing a rod out through the side of the liner. Expect the crankcases to be fucked too.

It would be far cheaper and have a better chance of success to either:
1. Get a secondhand engine, fit it, service it, and use it.
2. If you want to do a lot of spannering, get a secondhand engine, strip and rebuild it replacing parts where they are out of tolerance.

Once you've totted up a price list, you may choose option 1. Doing anything else will quickly end up costing more than the value of the bike.

gav501
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:56 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies. Very much appreciated

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent way too much money dicking around with over a dozen ZXR400's my advice would be.....

Buy a used engine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stuff will be available new. Bear in mind when I stripped my GSXR1100 to refresh it the parts bill alone was £1200 (3rd gear plus piston rings plus a few shell sets and other misc parts). Just because it’s a 400 doesn’t mean it will be any cheaper. I’m into my GSXR400’s and it’s more economical to buy engines (or full bikes) and strip them for spares (or freshen them up and stick them under the bench as complete drop in units if in tolerance). I wouldn’t be chucking £1000 in parts at a 400 engine, it’s ridiculous- especially not one as common as the ZXR.

Jozzer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely sure if the 400's weren't grey imports, sourcing a useable motor that hasn't had the turd caned out of it will be about as easy as sourcing a fresh pile of rocking horse turd...

Most that were of any use will have been snapped up by the track day/club racer boys and are now well and truly shafted...

Try yer local motorcycle shop to see what they have to say on the subject...

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozzer wrote:
Not entirely sure if the 400's weren't grey imports, sourcing a useable motor that hasn't had the turd caned out of it will be about as easy as sourcing a fresh pile of rocking horse turd...

Most that were of any use will have been snapped up by the track day/club racer boys and are now well and truly shafted...

Try yer local motorcycle shop to see what they have to say on the subject...

ZXR400's (other than the H model) were available via Kawasaki UK as well as grey imports so English Language manuals and spares lists are not a problem, and neither is spares availability on mechanical parts. Question is, is it worth spending massive amounts of money on OEM parts for a ZXR400 when you could buy a second hand engine (or two) as a source of most of the bits?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1