Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

is this legal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: is this legal? Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9545815,-1.0674828,3a,75y,121.84h,86.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-yY3vOI6seJT7M5Nm9M_gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Look at the bollards to the right of the red car, and the markings that show a cycle path leading to the blocked off road (that was once a junction). If a motorcyclist wanted to gain access to that street - let's say in this example for the purposes of parking - would they have to dismount and push it there? Would even this be illegal? Or could they ride it through from one road to the next crossing the pavement, and effectively - albeit momentarily - using a cycle lane?

When Roger Borg was here - one of BCF's legal beagles (amongst other things ; - )), I seem to remember him saying a motorcyclist is permitted to ride a certain distance over e.g. pavements etc. in order to park. Is anyone else familiar with sort of a law or highway code point, and how - if at all - does it apply to the above?

BTW I appreciate there's a lot of double yellow lines in that closed off street to the right - but for the sake of this discussion, let's say they end just out of sight. Although it may be that they've been painted there partly to prevent precisely the kind of shenanigans I'm asking about (as much as, say, to assuage nimby tenants etc.).

Cheers guys.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are yellow lines there must be another way in.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's pretend it's 25 miles away Laughing

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Just go for it, by the time anyone realises what you did, you will be well out of sight round the corner Laughing

Btw i know that road very well and travelled along it many times Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some legal info and interpretation in here, including the 15 yard exemption. I might argue that the 15 yards would have to terminate at your parking place, rather than lead to another road where you may or may not park.

I’d say you can’t ride it but could walk it.

Last edited by weasley on 19:23 - 04 Oct 2020; edited 2 times in total

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I seem to recall there are two opposing laws.

You can't drive a carriage on a footway at the side of a road. This was/is a pre Victorian law from the Highways Act 1835 and it still applies. A carriage is anything that carries people or goods and includes, bicycles, motor vehicles, horses with riders, horse and carts, wheel barrows, sleds, sedan chairs. Nowadays I don't think anyone would get a fine for pushing a wheel barrow along or carrying a sedan chair.

There is also a right to travel a set distance on a footpath, bridleway or common to get to a parking place, not sure but I think this is from one of the Rights of Way acts. 15 yards is the distance, but I think it has to be to get onto land that you own or have permission from the owner to park on.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every morning since they closed half of Cannon St to traffic I ride across Southwark Bridge, get off and push my bike across the pavement then get back on and ride on the road to save the aggro of a half mile detour and several sets of lights. Not had any tickets yet.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is safer to paddle a bike than push it.
Providing you do not obstruct or endanger pedestrians/other road users then crossing a cycle lane for access would be fine.

They are just part of the road but restrictions apply.
You are not using the cycle lane just crossing it.

Pavements are different as it is not legal to use any 'carriage' on a pavement.

They have always used carriage in the wording for specific reasons as it covers just about anything.

A polis would be an arshole to do someone for crossing a cycle lane (Or a pavement) just for access.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to regularly get off and push my motorbike through a bus only lane. Clearly signposted no motor vehicles. I have done it right in front of a police car which was obviously parked there to catch people using it as the highly convenient cut-through it was.

I have also been stopped by the police in York after the one-way system reversed itself at night (yes, really). In short, they'd seen me go up one street then appear down another and they knew of no legal way I could have got from point A to point B (during the day, it went to where I was going, but not at night it appears). Again, they were waiting to catch people out because they'd effectively constructed a vehicle trap and it must be a good earner. I told them outright I'd got off and pushed it through the bollards and across the pavement at the top of the road. At this point, they lost interest.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think riding across, while in practice unlikely to gain much attention unless you happen to do it at the same time a vindictive police officer was watching, is technically illegal whereas pushing it is fine. The law is to do with riding/driving, so pushing it isn't an issue. I would argue there's a difference between pushing and paddling as with the latter you're effectively in a riding position, even if the engine isn't running.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone - interestings and informatives karmad accordingly. My vibe was that riding would be borderline taking the piss, but that pushing is totally kosher. And that seems to be the loose consensus.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could get a scooter with a pizza box on the back... no fucks would be given Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

by either side - rider OR copper

but change that to a bike, take the massive stupid carry box off and suddenly copper's a bit more attentive

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, something, something, something about 'one must have your helmet on when pushing a motorcycle.

Logical, if boiled down to bones.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Every morning since they closed half of Cannon St to traffic I ride across Southwark Bridge, get off and push my bike across the pavement then get back on and ride on the road to save the aggro of a half mile detour and several sets of lights. Not had any tickets yet.

I've seen a number of bikes do that, except food delivery who just ride through. I'm surprised you haven't been caught because of the mass of cameras on that junction.

I know the problem all too well, the road restrictions in London are insane, try getting to the Gherkin building, that's a bastard.

Easy-X wrote:
Or you could get a scooter with a pizza box on the back... no fucks would be given Wink

Exactly!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

I've seen a number of bikes do that, except food delivery who just ride through. I'm surprised you haven't been caught because of the mass of cameras on that junction.

Yes I would be in all kinds of trouble if they caught me walking on the pavement. Probably get a custodial.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Yes I would be in all kinds of trouble if they caught me walking on the pavement.

You would be, not worth it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was sarcasm. The point is this: it's not illegal.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1