Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to repair stairs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:13 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: How to repair stairs? Reply with quote

Edited to add pics

Does anyone have ideas for repairing normal wooden stairs in a house?

I asked a carpenter to have a look but he busy and i don't know when he will get here.

Got about 6 with damage, the step split in the centre and/or the nose of the step is cracked or splitting off.

These are the original stairs so around a 100 years old.

I want to carpet over them but want to make good first.

My thoughts are.

Screw and glue another board over the split steps. 10mm plywood?

Underneath the broken noses glue and screw the biggest batten that will fit.

as pics show have bodged repairs in past by nailing it back but not good enough.

Last edited by BigTim on 17:11 - 12 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: How to repair stairs? Reply with quote

BigTim wrote:
Got about 6 with damage, the step split in the centre and/or the nose of the step is cracked or splitting off

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Also, can you access the underneath?

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:13 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly could access underneath as cellar steps below, would have to pull down some old lath and plaster work to access it though

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stairs are buggers to repair properly IME... given that you're carpeting over, I'd just go with the plan to screw a plywood plate to the top of each treat (ie the same size as each full tread). You'd need to do it to every step, ie not just the knackered ones, otherwise the risers will be uneven height

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd gripfill or woodglue the new treads on and then screw them down as well. Should eliminate some creaking
and will be a much stronger fix, it is a high traffic area after all. I'd use an 8x4 sheet of 12mm construction grade WBP ply
to make a full set of treads for those badboys.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real pity they are in a bad state, they would look lovely sanded back and treated.

I suppose if you are carpeting just put a board on each step as said.

Me, I'd call the Repair Shop and see if the wood wizard on there could sort them out. Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Personally, I'd gripfill or woodglue the new treads on and then screw them down as well. Should eliminate some creaking
and will be a much stronger fix, it is a high traffic area after all. I'd use an 8x4 sheet of 12mm construction grade WBP ply
to make a full set of treads for those badboys.

I agree with this. I did a flight the same way a few years back and it was easy enough, and I'm no joiner. I'd recommend using cardboard templates if you have turns and a half-landing though, plus a big file to take the 90 degree corner off the facing edge...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, they don't look all that bad. I wonder if you could drill and fit dowels through the front of those with broken split noses (after removing all the shitty nails which caused the splits. Lashings of wood glue plus some screw to cramp it all up.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand them back try and remove the offending nails or sink them below the surface, the bullnose on the worst can be removed and replaced as suggested with dowels, the rest of the cracks and splits use an epoxy resin but do it in small amounts and let it build up in layers allowing to cure, using a 5 minute epoxy will be adequate but don't use too much in one go if the splits go right through you will need time for it to seal, if the splits are really big use an epoxy putty made from resin and sawdust, this method is used in the stitch and glue method of plywood boat building and it is very strong you just need to get the right consistency Thumbs Up

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally these cases are put together with wedges on the underside of the treads, so from the underneath remove the wedges, normally they are held in by friction .
They were originally built from the bottom towards the top , so to get in you might have to sacrifice / smash out one tread towards the top

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they don't look too bad. It seems that someone has previously tried to stop creaks by driving in some oval brads through the treads into the risers, which is not a good idea, and they have split. Use a nail puller to get them out, like the Faithfull 2' one, which is a good tool.

If toy want to trouble to expose the underneath of the stairs, then you could see what the general condition of the stairs is, properly cure any creaks by re-glueing the blocks, looking at the wedges, even replacing entire treads if need be, apply woodworm fluid or whatever, use plasterboard to re-finish.

If you want to deal with splits in the middle of the treads, I'd probably use something like Titebond hide glue, it runs in really well, and inject it as far as possible into the cracks, and do NOT use those stairs for at least 24 hours. Again, getting at the underside would be good to apply a patch.

For the tread noses, drill pilot holes appropriately, countersink and use old-fashioned shanked woodscrews in addition to glue in the split, do them up with a screwdriver until just tight, you don't need to drive the heads through the timber, which is easy to do with a power driver.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull the boards and fit new and not carpet after.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1