Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I.Q. and it's relationship with Motorcycle RTA

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: I.Q. and it's relationship with Motorcycle RTA Reply with quote

Does a low I.Q. have any significant predisposition to crashing a bike and possible Quadraspazation as a result?

There is no check for intellect when assessing competence to drive or ride?
Mental Capacity is kind-of assessed by a minimal requirement.
Highway code quiz, video hazard perceptions and the practical control of a vehicle can be passed with enough practice.
Decision Making Processes involved in negotiating today's contested highway is not really addressed in the DSA test.

Typically, people pass when they are 17, 18, 19 relatively young and in-experienced.
After a pass there doesn't seem to be any need to continue the training or improving one's standard.

It is left to trial and error. And error can lead to trial.

Now... if I want to buy a gun then I'll be given The 3rd Degree.
And still be subject to strict control.

Obtain a driving licence in UK and you're enabled to join the ranks of those involved in serious RTAs.

On the Roads:
Killed 1752

Seriously Injured 25945

Slightly Injured 125,461

All Casualties 153,158

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2019

Living by the Gun:

Severity of injuries sustained
Police forces are required to grade injuries sustained as a result of offences involving firearms as being "slight", "serious" (that is, requiring a stay in hospital or involving fractures, concussion, severe general shock, penetration by a bullet or multiple shot wounds) or "fatal". In the year ending March 2019, there were increases in both fatal and slight injuries and a decrease in serious injuries.

There were 33 fatalities resulting from firearm offences, three more than in the previous year. However, the number of fatalities from firearm offences has shown a downward trend over the long term.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/offencesinvolvingtheuseoffirearms/yearendingmarch2019#injuries-sustained-in-offences-involving-firearms

There are other areas where mental capacity is a probable factor such as work related injury, For example, agriculture has a bad rep. Equally construction.

Many reductions in the RTA stats is down to manufacture interventions, cars are designed to be safer now.
But drivers are still using the same cave brain.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see the comparison, everybody can drive a car.......not many people have access to guns?

Obvious with that imbalance driving will always be more dangerous.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick people can make mistakes and crash bikes. Intelligent people can make mistakes and crash bikes. By all means make tests more rigorous if they are found to be wanting in that regard, but it is a mistake to exclude because of tested IQ, ya thick t**t Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they dont care about your mental capacity when you apply for a gun license. They come have a chat with you, but it's not an intelligence test by any means. It's a lot easier to get a license for a shotgun at least than most people seem to think and really a lot easier than getting a driving license.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I.Q. has a direct impact but there are certainly other aspects of people's mental makeup that would.

Conscientiousness for example: do you do your shoulder checks, do you check the roadworthiness of your vehicle regularly. The Highway Code is all well and good but if you figuratively lob the book out the window once you pass your test what's the point?

Looking at it the other way: are intelligent drivers/riders better, safer? My mum's actually pretty bright but she's fecking useless as a car driver. More likely her crippling social anxiety is a bigger factor than her I.Q.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

High IQ means more likely to crash, because their bottle bottom glasses get steamed up under their helmets.

I've invented something to save these nerds from themselves.

Behold, wipers for glasses.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzpk9zo6nCk

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that the thick and the talented can crash.

I'm just musing if there is any relationship between dump and crashing.

Or is it a life skill that some own and some are bereft of or worse, don't give a fcuk?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that intelligence quotients might not be relevant - unless there's a decent correlation between high IQ and creative ability.

What I mean is that, in some key ways, what helps to prevent riders from becoming involved in RTAs is the ability to be creative and use their imaginations. Heading into bends e.g. - what if there's a vehicle pulled over on the rider's side of the road. Will they be able to stop in the space they can see to be clear (on their side of the road)? Having thoughts like that, regularly on every ride, seems to involve some measure of creative thinking, i.e. use of imagination. Riders have to scan ahead at all times, and imagine what'll happen if vehicle X or Y decides on a given course of action, and how this could affect them, etc. etc. etc.

Another possible factor is reaction times - again, quick reflexes don't correlate with IQ, but they may save a rider in certain situations. My only slight concern with this one is that, if a rider is relying on that part of their abilities to save them, that's probably because they're thick cvnts.

Anyway, it'd definitely be interesting to see some stats on this. I wouldn't be too shocked if smarter people were less likely to be involved in RTAs.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to be an ADI I had all sorts of people, the extremes were a lad with 2 degrees, very intelligent, but had ZERO aptitude or common sense regarding driving, I had another lad who could only grunt and wasn't the sharpest spoon in the drawer, but he was a natural, I would show him once and he had it straight away. Lessons were a joy with him. So IQ has almost zero relationship with the ability to ride or drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's intelligence necessarily, lots of it is just "common" sense and spatial awareness, which a metric fuckton of people don't have.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about common sense really, though, innit.
It sometimes takes a while to kick in.
And sometimes never, of course.
Rolling Eyes

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:29 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
When I used to be an ADI I had all sorts of people, the extremes were a lad with 2 degrees, very intelligent, but had ZERO aptitude or common sense regarding driving, I had another lad who could only grunt and wasn't the sharpest spoon in the drawer, but he was a natural, I would show him once and he had it straight away. Lessons were a joy with him. So IQ has almost zero relationship with the ability to ride or drive.

Another former ADI here and that is spot on.

The hardest people to teach were often professionals, teachers and doctors in particular.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:48 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I don't think it's intelligence necessarily, lots of it is just "common" sense and spatial awareness, which a metric fuckton of people don't have.

but i find that the really intelligent folk tend to border the autistic spectrum and tend to lack the common sense and spatial awareness side of things, they tend to do things differently!

some years ago i had a very intelligent girlfriend, and I'd quite often find the sugar bowl in the fridge!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit scared to take an autistic test.
Shocked
What if it was positive?
*high whinny of nervous laughter*

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'd be a bit scared to take an autistic test.
Shocked
What if it was positive?
*high whinny of nervous laughter*

"We're all on the Spectrum" as Russell Brand once said. You only have to worry if you're so far over the rainbow you're chasing leprechauns Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RefyVhg43Rs/T_3Bj7z8aBI/AAAAAAAAAXo/G8r8jRUrMAI/s1600/Spectrum_Logo_1.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't all on the spectrum.

Some of us are on the amstrad.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of having the racist tag chucked at me, black ladies who drive people carriers on the school run round my way are by far the worst drivers in Christendom.

Mind, when I was working in Nigeria, we weren't allowed to drive, it was too dangerous Laughing

Maybe it's not just intelligence but culture and upbringing as well?

Another point on women drivers. I've often wondered if to most women a car is just a commodity like a washing machine. Something to be used and thats it so they don't get as involved as us boys. Boy toys and all that.

As an aside, a good woman driver is usually very very good.

Shit, I'm going to have the race relations and the feminists out for my blood now. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
a car is just a commodity like a washing machine. Something to be used and thats i

Kinda how I see it really.

Just for getting from A to B, doesn't really matter what variety it is, nice to have a sporty version but not essential.

Needs plenty of boot space for shopping and dogs (when I have one, and one day I will again ... Laughing )

If it was a matter of being minted, I would have two Jags, one avec dogs, and one sans dogs.

Jenny Two-Jags Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Jenny Two-Jags Laughing

You have good taste lady.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
a car is just a commodity like a washing machine. Something to be used and thats i

Kinda how I see it really.

Just for getting from A to B, doesn't really matter what variety it is, nice to have a sporty version but not essential.

Needs plenty of boot space for shopping and dogs (when I have one, and one day I will again ... Laughing )

If it was a matter of being minted, I would have two Jags, one avec dogs, and one sans dogs.

Jenny Two-Jags Laughing

Oh, Jags! Misread that the first time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risk 'driving' jobs airline/military pilots, big ship management (capt. 2nd officers and other tasked with navigation and Boaty stuff)
Doctors and the like have a minimum intelligence level.
I don't know if the I.Q. applicants but the tests/exams weed out wankers.

My point is that almost anytime someone causes an RTA or tries to kill you with their vehicle one usually thinks/shouts/swear-shouts something about the persons intellect.
There has got to be some strong connection to bad driving and dumbfukery.

I think driving is not tested rigorously considering the number of innocents KSIed.

I'm relatively thick but have my licence/s So I vote to.make the test more relevant from now on. Mad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh, Jags! Misread that the first time.

Thinking
Two Bags
Two Cags
Two Dags ... that works
Two Fags ... well really I've given up drag queens for Lent
Two Gags ... hmmm, yeah
Two Hags ... starts to look suspicious ...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

... wanders back in ...

Jags ... Lags Shifty ... Mags ... Nags ... Hand

... wanders back out ...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he might have read 'Two Jugs' Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2