Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GS550 tappet gap

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

delwil123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:15 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: GS550 tappet gap Reply with quote

Hi all, can anyone give advice, I am checking tappet clearance on my 1979 GS 550 and find that most are 2thou at TDC and i believe ok. However the no 1 cyl at TDC will not accept even a 0.05 feeler, but if i turn the engine till the cam is vertical which Haynes manuel says is another way to check clearance i can insert a no2 feeler into exhaust valve, but still nothing into inlet. It doesn't seem right that feeler guage won;t go in at TDC. Itlooks like i need a smaller shim for inlet, but do you think the exhaust is ok.
Many thanks
DEL

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems slim. Typically exhausts are around 6-8 thou, Inlet 4-6 thou. Make sure you measuring on compression stroke also that you are using imperial feelers and not metric ones.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

delwil123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, yes on compression stroke and imperial feelers. Clearance is in the range of 0.03-0.08mm [ 0.001-0.003 in,] according to Haynes book and youtube. Just strange how i cant get feeler in at TDC but it goes in when cam moved to upright position.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

delwil123 wrote:
Thanks for reply, yes on compression stroke and imperial feelers. Clearance is in the range of 0.03-0.08mm [ 0.001-0.003 in,] according to Haynes book and youtube. Just strange how i cant get feeler in at TDC but it goes in when cam moved to upright position.

That's tight especially if the same spec for exhaust - but hey if that's what it says..
Not sure what you mean by 'upright'. At TDC the cam lobes tend to be at '10 to 2'
Are the cam caps torqued down correctly?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

delwil123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:27 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, upright like a pear sitting. Will check if cam caps are torqued, although i have not had them off. Think maybe I should adjust these 2 tappets on no 1 cyl so that i have the correct gap at TDC on compression stroke, and if gap is wider when cam upright i dont suppose that matters as valve is closed.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

tappet clearance should be the same at any point on the cam lobe base circle. Apparently, yours is not. As the mfr. specification is stated at top dead center, compression stroke, adjust the clearance accordingly. As you stated, abnormalities at any other point in engine rotation are immaterial, since the valve is closed.

delwil123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your input, always nice to have someone else's thoughts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As jeffyjeff says the clearance should be the same all around the base circle but you know - things wear over 40 year. You don't want the clearance too tight, it'll burn the valves out.

Those GS valves have a very satisfying rustle when they are adjusted right.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1