Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Derbi Senda 50cc Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Derbi Senda 50cc Help Reply with quote

Hi All,

As you may remember, I did the Gilera DNA, new crank, bearings, new 70cc kit, everything, got it MOT'd it was perfect and nippy.... Until the little S**T decided to SWAP IT without telling anyone, for a.... Derbi Senda.

The bike arrived, he was SO excited about his new bike, after all, the guy who swapped him said "IT JUST NEEDS" which clearly means, it cant be done easily.

Not only was the front brake cable tied on, the pistons worn down and the brake pad spring missing, the "new" brake pads he had given him were in a box with a spare engine (siezed) and loads of other bits, SOAKED in oil.

The bike does start, and has good compression, however, I have decided to swap the carburettor for a brand new 21mm one because the one thats on the bike has been messed with, someones tapped a bolt into the side of it? the needle is snapped off at the end and bent, its just a mess.

Does anyone have any information that would help me with this little thing at all? Tips or tricks to getting it running great?

Once ive gone through the wiring loom and sorted out the MESS of wires, half have been cut out, twisted and taped, or just left dangling, I should be ready to put the engine back in.

The first picture is how it was presented (Fairings not bolted on, MILES away from the bolt holes, god knows what year the fairing panels are for)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vM6DTThQQtgL5k6c9
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the problems as you find them. It's been owned by a succession of 16 year olds for 15 years or more.

It's a simple enough bike to strip to the frame and rebuild over a weekend, cleaning and checking as you go.

I think these were fairly new when I was 16, I can remember wanting one around the turn of the century. Pretty sure there were performance exhausts and big bore kits readily available in the early days of ebay. Finding a replacement carb, or lots of other standard parts, should not be difficult.

Go through everything. It will be full of bodges and horrors. For instance, don't assume that the wheels will stay on until you have personally removed and checks the axles, bolts, and fork bottom clamps. It has been owned by a succession of teenage boys.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo 3 & 5 look to be where an auto-lube pump might have existed at one time; I'm assuming it's running on pre-mix now. Photo 4 might be a temp sensor.

Might have been a nice bike at one time. Doesn't look much of an upgrade in its current state Sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. on the plus side the spark plug looks quite new.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies!

Yes indeed the sparkplug is new!! appart from that its a total turd, as Robby says, multiple 16 year olds have gone "ye m8 do this innit" and its just a mess as a result, ever looked at a derbi senda repair video on youtube? its all drum and bass music over a poorly edited video...

The engine is out of the bike, it has good compression, no visible scoring on the piston or barell through the exhaust port, so thats a good sign i suppose.

The bike is indeed running on a pre-mix i have made, 40-1 the fuel that was in it, smelt like.... nail polish remover or something, really knocked your face off when you sniffed it... no idea what was going on there, doubt it was methanol haha

I have found why the ignition was breaking up, the wires had been taped round the CDI, and the red and white were barely hanging in by 2 strands of copper, so i will be femaile spade connecting those back into the original back connector housings.

I have ordered a 21mm Naraku carburettor with oil and vacccum feed lines, as i will be replacing the oil pump because there is NO WAY im letting an impatient 16 year old mix his own oil and petrol, or it will be "Joe, its stopped for some reason and i cant start it"

I have been told that it has a 70cc kit on it, but without tearing the thing appart, measuring bore and stroke i cant accuratly gauge wiether this is true.... And as i am not about to spend any of my own money on this, like i did last time nearly £400 of my own money for him to just give the bike away for this pile, it will have to wait.

Im hoping that when the new carburettor comes, I can get it running on my pre mix well enough for me to use it, im insured on it (£9.80 a month LOL) then i can take it for its MOT, as it only has a daytime MOT on at the moment.

The bike is now down to the frame, and im starting with the wiring loom, because its A MESS... I will also be fitting an aftermarket Temperature gauge to the handlebars, because the Senda only has a light that lights up when the bike gets to 105DegC I just dont want him to have any reason to tell me he didnt do anything wrong, and it still blew up hahaha

Thanks all Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck... not with the bike, I'm sure that'll be fine. What's the laws on slapping kids these days? Wink

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Best of luck... not with the bike, I'm sure that'll be fine. What's the laws on slapping kids these days? Wink

Tell me about it! good jesus!

GOOD NEWS! it wasnt brown silicone holding the needle in, how silly of me to assume that... It was a fag dimp... I kid you not, a Mayfair fag dimp..... Im STAGGERED.

i CANNOT for the life of me figure out this choke, it used to be electric, Its been replaced with some manual lever, flip up or down, which is on, i would assume up is on and down is off but it wont run under load at all down, it just doies on its face, but with the lever pointed right up it SORT of revs out... wont idle or rev below around 3k from the sounds of it... Its this style https://www.scooter-center.com/en/flip-up-choke-conversion-kit-bgm-original-dellorto-phva-phbn-phvb-automatic-choke-2599092b?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIadk4vV-eLjGTDrknah6C1JbYC_Bi2b0RVYUoJ87GE9mBUsbIcPK3UaApWpEALw_wcB

The new carb will be here anyway tuesday haha
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1