Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oxford heated gloves problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Oxford heated gloves problem Reply with quote

Someone's given me a NOS pair of Oxford heated gloves as a thank you and they have an odd problem.

Connected direct to the battery they work perfectly right up until the point you start the engine and they switch off.
Seems there is a voltage regulation problem with them, anyone run into this before and got a cure?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you switch them on again, or are they dead once the engine is running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Oxford heated gloves problem Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Someone's given me a NOS pair of Oxford heated gloves as a thank you and they have an odd problem.

Connected direct to the battery they work perfectly right up until the point you start the engine and they switch off.
Seems there is a voltage regulation problem with them, anyone run into this before and got a cure?

To elucidate, if you connect them after starting the engine do they work. Is it the low starting voltage that upsets them or the alternator charging voltage?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the high voltage you could use a 12v to 12v stabiliser. Trouble there is what amperage do the the gloves use, anything over 3 amps is getting intp the probably not worthwhile range.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Confused

Polarbear wrote:
If it is the high voltage you could use a 12v to 12v stabiliser. Trouble there is what amperage do the the gloves use, anything over 3 amps is getting intp the probably not worthwhile range.

Thats what I'm thinking, less than 3 amps. Possibly less than 2.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:07 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Confused

What is wrong with my question? The issue might be that the voltage sensor internally thinks you're turning the ignition off rather than starting up, and automatically switch the gloves off? You didn't say in your original post if this was the case or not, and the problem could just as easily have been an annoyance rather than the bigger deal it seems to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Polarbear wrote:

Thats what I'm thinking, less than 3 amps. Possibly less than 2.

You can get them for £5 plus on ebay. That's a worthwile punt with nothing too much to lose. Over 3 amps they get much pricier.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:17 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you've got them set up with shorter wires for testing, make sure you have them set up as if you're going to use them, with all the long extension wires to route up your jacket, down your sleeves etc. They may get a bit less sensitive with a full length of wire, a bit like heated grip instructions tell you not to shorten the wire too much.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Just in case you've got them set up with shorter wires for testing, make sure you have them set up as if you're going to use them, with all the long extension wires to route up your jacket, down your sleeves etc. They may get a bit less sensitive with a full length of wire, a bit like heated grip instructions tell you not to shorten the wire too much.

I had thought of that, a possible electronic noise problem but no I used very long cables so possible but unlikely.
Just had a genuine cable delivered, will see if they work with it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these intended for bike connection? Some gloves are 7v battery only, and may have over voltage protection. What model number on the gloves?

I assume by "works", it has an led on the controller, which goes off, along with the heat, when engine is on. First Id check wires for dodgy connection.

Connect it up to variable voltage supply. Try 5-15v and report back if it has the same issue and at what voltages.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Oxford heated gloves problem Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I'm sorry but it looks like I wasn't very clear, I already know its a voltage regulation problem and that the bikes charging voltage is too high for the gloves so as Polarbear suggested I have ordered a 12v stabiliser which should do the trick.

Unfortunately as these are an Oxford product they aren't really suitable for the purpose they are made having a cut out at about 13.8-14v, lower than most modern bikes charging voltage. Oxford used to supply an inline resistor for these gloves but don't any more.

I have asked Oxford for the values of the resistors they use but apparently its too dangerous to tell me as I might hurt myself, I am wondering if they realise they sell products for use on motorcycles which are considerably more dangerous than a resistor going pop .

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keis gloves have the same problem and still supply the inline resistors for £5 so ordered a set but unfortunately they use a different connector so also ordered a Y cable and will get the soldering iron out make up a modified cable and see if it works.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cables are all made up with the Keis inline resistors on each side and the gloves work fine now.

it seems there is some kind of regulation concerning heated clothing specifically heated gloves that they can only achieve a certain temperature which I suppose makes sense, no one wants burnt hands.

As the temperature settings are achieved by using a pulse width module they aren't really temperature settings as such more power settings in that the PWM switches on for a percentage of the time. Full power its always on, half power its on for half the time but it switches at a fast rate, probably about 50 or 100 times a second or something like that. the more it is off the lower the perceived power.

Anyway they are all sorted and work well, just tested them on a quick 10 minute ride and they warm up quickly giving a good spread of heat across your hands. The are very bulky compared to the summer gloves I normally wear year round, bit of a bother to get under the cuffs on my jacket but still just about fit inside my Tucano muffs so they are usable I just wouldn't want to be taking them on or off too much.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1