Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

do you ever let mates ride your bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: do you ever let mates ride your bikes? Reply with quote

Do you ever let your mates ride your bikes? Maybe it's on a you-bend-it-you-mend-it sort of agreement? They say yeah sure, chuck us the keys, back in an hour. But say the worst happens - not only do they crash it, they also take someone out. Maybe they kill them because of their dangerous riding. Perhaps they had a head cam that captured it all.

Worse still, it turns out they're not insured. At all. For anything!

In this sort of a situation, are you - the owner of the bike - responsible? Is there some sort of onus on you to check that whoever rides you bike has the relevant qualifications and insurance? From a common sense point of view it seems like there ought to be - but I wondered what the actual framing of the law is here.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've read my biking life thread, you know this: a mate of mine was killed riding one of my bikes. Nothing wrong with the bike. He just wasn't used to that kind of bike (as far as I'm aware), and maybe got a bit overenthusiastic. I've been very reluctant to lend my bikes or borrow that of others since.

I have always felt the responsibility ever since. That's a heavy weight to be carrying around, and you carry it for the rest of your life.

The insurance and legality thing is not the worst bit if such a thing happens.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In nearly 40 years of biking only 4 people have ridden my bikes, the first was someone who I had grown up with, gone to birthday parties with, been at school with. I let him go round the school field on my bike, six weeks later he and a few of his other mates decided to pinch it, he even boasted about it. He later became the local drug dealer and shot and killed one of his right hand men for shagging his wife.

Second person, again thought of as a mate, ended up fucking off with my now ex wife.

Third person I had known for a while and let him ride around a dis used factory, turns out he was the mate of the drug dealers right hand man that got shot and killed.

Fourth guy dropped the bike within 10 yards.

No one rides my bikes now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done, and I have ridden other peoples. I only let people I trust ride, and it's not very often.

I have to say I'm not and never have been the turbo nutter b@stard type, and neither have most of my friends. And the ones who are, are skilled enough to handle pretty much anything. Insurance was always there, and there was always the bend it and mend it agreement too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If caught with no insurance, the police will give you the option of saying they took it without your permission and do them for taking without consent OR saying they had your permission and do them for no insurance and you for permitting them to drive with no insurance, usually carrying the same penalty.

I do let mates ride my bikes and they ride mine. We're all old and ugly enough that we carry comp insurance which allows us to ride other bikes. We are mates, and so understand that if you bend it, you mend it. I would not however allow some of my mates to ride some of my bikes, mainly because I don't think they have the mechanical sympathy to do so.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only a couple of friends that I would allow to ride my bikes.
If they wanted to use my bikes, I would add them to my insurance.

We all agree that a little spin around the corner and back is just not worth the hassle as we all possess bad luck and are likely to get caught by the filth.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: do you ever let mates ride your bikes? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Do you ever let your mates ride your bikes? Maybe it's on a you-bend-it-you-mend-it sort of agreement? They say yeah sure, chuck us the keys, back in an hour. But say the worst happens - not only do they crash it, they also take someone out. Maybe they kill them because of their dangerous riding. Perhaps they had a head cam that captured it all.

Worse still, it turns out they're not insured. At all. For anything!

In this sort of a situation, are you - the owner of the bike - responsible? Is there some sort of onus on you to check that whoever rides you bike has the relevant qualifications and insurance? From a common sense point of view it seems like there ought to be - but I wondered what the actual framing of the law is here.

If I ever lend a bike to someone, it is very much "You bend it, you mend it". Same if I borrow something.

Re the insurance: say "You may ride this as long as you have the necessary insurance and are otherwise legal to do so". Just say that, and you are OK, you have a valid defence against "allowing and permitting". You do not need to see any paperwork; as long as you have told them; the decision is up to them. Of course, if they say they have no insurance (or whatever else) then you should not let them on it!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:21 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, but not many.
The last two boyfriends both had free reign on whatever bike/s I had.
I might let Anita have a go-round on the Snarley, in the carpark of Tesco's, when she's next here Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
In nearly 40 years of biking only 4 people have ridden my bikes...

Skudd, dude, that's terrible; what a shitty ass track record. I feel for ya.

Awhile back, I was out with a buddy and we swapped bikes for an hour or so. Got to ride his VFR1200 dual clutch and he my older VFR800Fi. That was a unique, interesting experience, but the only time I recall letting someone else ride my bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: do you ever let mates ride your bikes? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Re the insurance: say "You may ride this as long as you have the necessary insurance and are otherwise legal to do so". Just say that, and you are OK, you have a valid defence against "allowing and permitting". You do not need to see any paperwork; as long as you have told them; the decision is up to them. Of course, if they say they have no insurance (or whatever else) then you should not let them on it!

stinkwheel wrote:
If (they are) caught with no insurance, the police will give you the option of saying they took it without your permission and do them for taking without consent OR saying they had your permission and do them for no insurance and you for permitting them to drive with no insurance, usually carrying the same penalty.

Interesting points, cheers for these. Are they consistent though? The first one seems like it would be fraught with "he said this" and the other guy saying "no I didn't", etc. The second seems more realistic somehow.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually too worried I will cause damage to the vehicle (a wealthy friend of my brothers offered my a go in his spanking new Audi R8 but I settled on a sit in the drivers seat and a blip of the throttle) I did once borrow a 250 SuperDream to run an errand at Uni.. never again!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Never since I lent my almost brand new FJ1200 to a so called friend who dropped it and then refused to get it repaired.

I had to lie to the insurance that I had been riding it to get it repaired myself.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
...He later became the local drug dealer and shot and killed one of his right hand men for shagging his wife.

That's not what I heard. Tut Tut

Truth is that said Right Hand Man was thrown from an upper storey window and fell through the roof of a greenhouse for giving matey's missus a foot massage. Shocked

But still, I have to say,
you play with matches, you get burned . . .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: do you ever let mates ride your bikes? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

stinkwheel wrote:
If (they are) caught with no insurance, the police will give you the option of saying they took it without your permission and do them for taking without consent OR saying they had your permission and do them for no insurance and you for permitting them to drive with no insurance, usually carrying the same penalty.

Interesting points, cheers for these. Are they consistent though? The first one seems like it would be fraught with "he said this" and the other guy saying "no I didn't", etc. The second seems more realistic somehow.

The first is a defence, and it really is as simple as that. You can look it up in Stone's at your library in the "reference only" section (they will not let you out with it, it costs about £900), or it's out ther on the net (old Swarbrick has a write-up at https://swarb.co.uk/newbury-v-davis-qbd-1974/ ).

The police certainly won't give you the option. The first thing you will know is (maybe) your "friend" will tell you; the next is that you will receive a summons by post.

Anyway, I'm not arguing about that again (it's already been done here), if you won't have it, you won't have it. Not my problem.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:50 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: do you ever let mates ride your bikes? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'm sure they vary accotrding to circumstances but this exact thing has happened several times locally with kids who thought they'd just borrow their parents car and were caught driving it. They are given the option of having their kid given a record for twoccing or a fine and points for permitting driving with no insurance.

Kind of have you over a barrel. if you say they had your permission to ride it, you get done, if you say they didn't, your mate risks getting a serious criminal record. So what do you say? Of course, having your permission is necessary for "third party other vehicle" insurance clauses to operate so generally if asked, you'd tell the police they had your permission before you even knew there was an issue (because they wouldn't be insured if they didn't).

Then we get down to the gnarly subject of if you give consent to take it on the previso that they were insured and they turned out not to be, did they have your consent to take it?

On the principle of low hanging fruit. I'd imagine they'll generally go for doing both of you for an easy FPN for 6 points and £300 fine. Two convictions, two fines, low burden of proof. If it goes to court all they have to show is the mate wasn't insured and you said they could ride the bike. They are bang to rights no matter what happens, you might sucessfully argue your way out of it. They'd probably land up offering you both a fixed penalty and chances are, you'd take it to avoid more hassle.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:02 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not since I got done for aiding and abetting no insurance in the early 90s.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have the correct insurance yes quite happily.

Fretgrinder on here has ridden/borrowed all my bikes at some point. Few weeks ago my mate took the Busa for the weekend at it's a better mile muncher than her TL.

Infact Fret has even used my bikes at Henstridge airfield drag nights.

https://i.imgur.com/8tJdNis.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a very specific few people. Similar mindset to Marge.

In fact he's one of the few people I would let out on my bikes, and I'm ridden a couple of his.

If anyone turns up my house riding like a dick, they aren't getting my keys.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If anyone turns up my house riding a dick, they aren't getting my keys.

Sounds like a shite swingers party to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
We're all old and ugly enough that we carry comp insurance which allows us to ride other bikes.

I don't think I've ever had a bike policy which didn't allow that; both in my first incarnation as a baby biker in the '80s or more recently. I don't have particularly great history either. Is this unusual?

Always struck me as an odd 'giveaway' by insurers, as it's never been part of my buying decision, just been something i found on my policy after buying it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:43 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, vehicle insurance is 3rd party insuance to ride a vehicle, and not a specific vehicle. I suspect that is to do with the law surrounding 3rd party insurance and not something insurance companies have any control over.

Anything that you do out of their terms will be breach of contract and not criminal matter.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
In nearly 40 years of biking only 4 people have ridden my bikes, the first was someone who I had grown up with, gone to birthday parties with, been at school with. I let him go round the school field on my bike, six weeks later he and a few of his other mates decided to pinch it, he even boasted about it. He later became the local drug dealer and shot and killed one of his right hand men for shagging his wife.

Second person, again thought of as a mate, ended up fucking off with my now ex wife.

Third person I had known for a while and let him ride around a dis used factory, turns out he was the mate of the drug dealers right hand man that got shot and killed.

Fourth guy dropped the bike within 10 yards.

No one rides my bikes now.

You need to shoot all of your friends and shag their wives. Hell, probably their mums too.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:32 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody rides my bike.

I learnt this lesson nearly 40 years ago.

Just got my first bike, thought I'd go and show my mate.

He asked to ride it and like a twat i said yes.

Off he goes down the road, no helmet, comes back into view doing about 30 doesn't slow for the turn into the road and loses it. I'd had it about a week!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

and bum the odd dad or two while your about it - might as well

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bitten once in my teens when I let someone I thought was a mate have a shot on a nearly new bike. Long story short, he dropped it and did a bit of damage, promised to pay for repairs and then refused. I got my own back on him tenfold a few months later.

Since then I've been very careful who I let ride my bikes. Currently there are two people (other than my OH of course) that I would trust both good friends and both utterly reliable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3