do you ever let mates ride your bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I got my own back on him tenfold a few months later.

How? Just whisper, and I won't tell anyone else, promise Silence
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I've been bitten once in my teens when I let someone I thought was a mate ..

Odd how we choose our friend more carefully as we get older.. experience is all.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:
I got my own back on him tenfold a few months later.

How? Just whisper, and I won't tell anyone else, promise Silence

He turned out to be a thief. I found out that he stole a very good friend of mine's silver pocket watch that he'd inherited from his granddad. So I dobbed him in and also let my friend know. Let's just say that justice was served. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Islander wrote:
I've been bitten once in my teens when I let someone I thought was a mate ..

Odd how we choose our friend more carefully as we get older.. experience is all.

Isn't that the truth. Thumbs Up

reavsie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, never.

When I was younger I never trusted my friends enough to let them ride my bikes.

Now I'm older and more discerning, I don't trust anyone enough to be my friend.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one friend of mine, who I let ride my bikes and he let's me ride his bikes. I've known him for years, we've been riding and fixing bikes together ever since we were 18. There is a mutual trust. We're both, I dare to say, well seasoned riders as well.

Other people? Well, I don't trust them. I would feel responsible if anything went wrong.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dirt bikes yeah, I lent my CRF250L out loads of times, but I was always riding alongside them on something else.

My mate disappeared from view, and was really worried cos he'd bent the gear lever, I just laughed about it. We hammered it straight-ish with a rock, he bought me a better replacement lever, but he didn't have to.

Actually he lent me his ZZR500 for a week to be fair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Actually he lent me his ZZR500 for a week

holy shit! you must have really pissed him off

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only once. A mate and I swapped bikes for a few miles while on a ride out.
While I was getting to grips with his GSXF750, he absolutely flew past on mine.
I did laugh. I have as much confidence as one can have in his riding abilities and with the exception of one other of my friends, he's the only bloke I'd trust with it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not! I mean I let Paddy use my bike for his IOW trip and I loaned it to Kris for a week when his broke down but let's face it - they're not the sort you'd want as mates Very Happy

Besides, it was a Bandit 600 so it wasn't even that much of a favour Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really comfortable riding someone elses bike, they are easily crashed/dropped and I just don't want the hassle.

Ive ridden my late uncles Hayabusa after he insisted, my brothers ZX9R many moons ago and thats about it.

I got my Vulcan new, my brother was interested in buying one so I let him test ride mine rather than messing around at a dealer, otherwise we pretty much dont ride each others bikes.

Cars on the other hand...im not really too fussed Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates on the Fireblade insurance. He has only had his licence for 2 years and it cost nothing more to add him. Every now and then he'll have a blast on it. Me on the Babyblade him on the Fireblade. Both of us 50 odds and look it, get some admiring glances from fellow bikers. So do the bikes.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
Skudd wrote:
...He later became the local drug dealer and shot and killed one of his right hand men for shagging his wife.

That's not what I heard. Tut Tut

Truth is that said Right Hand Man was thrown from an upper storey window and fell through the roof of a greenhouse for giving matey's missus a foot massage. Shocked

But still, I have to say,
you play with matches, you get burned . . .

Chris Strettle Look him up.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping bikes is part of the fun for me. I wouldn't have ridden half of the weird and wonderful things I have done over the last few years if my mates and I stuck to our own bikes. I trust certain people and they trust me, but this trust only comes from riding with them for decades...

I like to think that if I binned someone else's bike, I would do the decent thing and offer my wife as compo Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be quite precious about it. If you asked to ride my bike I'd answer with "more chance of riding my cock", and could list 3 people I'd let ride my bike. Back then though my bike was not only my hobby but my only transport, if someone bent it and didn't have one to lend me till they fixed it I'd have been unable to get to work.

Now I have a few in the garage and they are all purely toys, I'm far less wary.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were to get my shit together and get a stable of bikes, i reckon the pleasure for me would be being able to say to your mates Yeah, you wanna go.

I lent the Snarley to that loony ruffian i had staying for a couple of weeks. I was pretty sure he'd bring it back ... Shifty

And anyhow, if he'd ridden off into the sunset, I have a friend or two that might successfully make inroads into finding him and suggesting nicely that he bring it back, so it wouldn't have been a sensible thing to do Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lent my Street Triple owning friend have a ride on my Monster (oooh errr!). She hated it, it’s about as far removed from her electronic controlled everything as I think it’s possible to be...

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Lent my Street Triple owning friend have a ride on my Monster (oooh errr!). She hated it, it’s about as far removed from her electronic controlled everything as I think it’s possible to be...

I was offered a test ride on a monster at a dealership i stopped at a couple of years ago.
I declined after sitting on it for a minute or so because I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I was offered a test ride on a monster at a dealership i stopped at a couple of years ago.
I declined after sitting on it for a minute or so because I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it.

I sat on an early model of those and the riding position was downright weird. The seat and footrests wanted me to sit upright, but the bars were stretching me across the tank. Are they all like that?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
recman wrote:

I sat on an early model of those and the riding position was downright weird. The seat and footrests wanted me to sit upright, but the bars were stretching me across the tank. Are they all like that?

I think they’re an acquired taste...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I think they’re an acquired taste...

What, pain? Laughing
spikey34 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you bend it, you mend it.
If you break it, you bought it.
If they catch you, you nicked it."

I've got one friend I'd still swap bikes with.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden loads of bikes this way, I think there's a natural instinct to avoid crashing any bike as you know it's going to hurt a lot more than crashing a car.

I've swapped bikes a lot more times than anyone has driven any of my cars.

I think in doing so, I've realised I have more fun riding the tits off the lower powered stuff, than reigning in the big power bikes.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped bikes once; it was a bike that had three times the power of the Bonneville I was riding at the time and I had only passed my test 6 months previously. I didn't dare go beyond halfway through the revs and even then it was pretty brutal! Shocked He clearly trusted me though as correctly assumed I wouldn't go nuts. He's probably the only person I know who I'd trust riding my bike too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3