Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT What to expect?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Themarvster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: CBT What to expect? Reply with quote

I've just passed my motorcycle theory. I've never ridden a Bike before what should I expect for my CBT?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having already done your theory you'll be well ahead of the rest of the pimply teens and pizza delivery trainees Wink

Probably a bit of a chat with the instructor, followed by a couple of hours in the training area riding in circles, figure eights and a few u turns and trying out a few junctions.

Then a couple of hours out on the road putting what you've learnt into practice.

Just relax, listen to the instructor and remember to enjoy it!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply, a day of compulsory basic training.

If you've booked it already not knowing then Laughing

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/prepare-cbt-course
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock and ball torture? Sore cock and balls.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty structured and simple day of training. If you're "mechanically minded", i.e. get the "feel" for things easily (think if you're drilling through something you can feel when the drill is nearly through, that sort of thing) you'll probably pick it up quickly and you'll have a ball. If you struggle with such things, you may find it a bit more challenging initially but you'll get there. If you can drive a car you'll probably already have some degree of feel for using the clutch.

Serious question: can you ride a bicycle confidently? My riding school said they genuinely have had candidates turn up not knowing how to ride a bicycle; they get told to go away.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT What to expect? Reply with quote

Themarvster wrote:
I've just passed my motorcycle theory. I've never ridden a Bike before what should I expect for my CBT?

Assuming no prior experience of riding motorbikes, and ability to ride a bicycle, expect a very intense day indeed. The syllabus itself is quite crowded - i.e. the 'chalk and talk' part of the CBT wherein an instructor talks about protective gear from gloves to jacket, to helmet and boots, etc. Also road sense for motorcyclists, basic machine maintenance and the need for POWDER(Y) checks, etc. etc. etc.

Once done, it's time to actually touch a motorbike. Expect to struggle to even get it on the stand if it's a CG - they only have a main stand, and this can be pretty awkward if you're not used to it. A side stand is loads easier. Expect to feel quite put off by the sheer weight of even one of the smallest engined bikes, a 125cc. Expect to find simple machine control pretty difficult. Anticipate others in the group to be doing rolling burn outs around the cones, whilst sat on the bike facing backwards. The level of mixed abilities in groups can be pretty extreme these days, especially as there could be perpetual L-plate riders looking for a two year renewal.

It definitely can be difficult. But it's worth it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trainer in 96 told me the only way to 'fail' was if you were blind or consistently fell off.

I think the standards have toughened up since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:40 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor and the others have covered pretty much all of it.

Apart from ‘car brain’ if you are an experienced driver. 3K rpm and ride the clutch is a hard thing to adapt to.

As is ‘you go where you look’.

And at some point you may give the throttle a tug to ‘really see what it can do’ and things go out of control pretty quickly.

...and I don’t know about blind or falling off but I got refused the road part because I wasn’t safe so ‘failed’ the training. (Clutch control! Embarassed )

If you can get your theory and BESTCOPS etc. in your head in advance then you can spend most of your day concentrating on starting, stopping and going where you want.

Good luck!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things dont go out of control very quickly on a 125.

Especially not on the cheap 4t pos you'll be using for a cbt.

Back in the day we had 2ts that were derestricted to, maybe 17 Bhp. Or roughly a 1/10th of a typical litre bike.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT What to expect? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Expect to feel quite put off by the sheer weight of even one of the smallest engined bikes, a 125cc. Expect to find simple machine control pretty difficult. Anticipate others in the group to be doing rolling burn outs around the cones, whilst sat on the bike facing backwards. The level of mixed abilities in groups can be pretty extreme these days, especially as there could be perpetual L-plate riders looking for a two year renewal.

This is really relevant actually; both the weight thing (I remember how heavy the CB125F I did my CBT felt) and the different abilities. I was fortunate myself; I did my CBT with just one other bloke and he was very similar to me, both in terms of road experience and attitude, so we progressed at almost identical rates. I recall while waiting for my mod 1 training, I was stood at the school watching a guy turn up to do a CBT for the first time and proceeded to do figure of 8s WITHIN the cones (as opposed to going around them). I think he ended up doing his CBT on a SV650.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT What to expect? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Themarvster wrote:

Assuming no prior experience of riding motorbikes, and ability to ride a bicycle, expect a very intense day indeed.

That bit's really, really important.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the same as the Bronze 'Star Rider' my Dad insisted upon.
Although I had to ride 6 miles to get there..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard they flush your head down the toilet if you don't give them your lunch money.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I think it's the same as the Bronze 'Star Rider' my Dad insisted upon.
Although I had to ride 6 miles to get there..

I told my Dad I went ...

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
My trainer in 96 told me the only way to 'fail' was if you were blind or consistently fell off.

You're right you can't fail but my wife was asked to come back and re-take it twice, so 'passed' on her third attempt. She's a professional driver too and has been for years. It was purely a confidence thing, that's all, she's ace (for a girl) on four wheels, can reverse round corners and parallel park and everything Surprised

My dad said when he done his CBT (recently) a young lad turned up with his dad and the dad was bragging about how his son had been riding bikes on farmland since he was a tot and how he'd completely ace the CBT... Guess what... He was also told to come back another day!

So yeah you really do have to take it seriously as a lot of this talk about it being impossible to 'fail' (or rather being refused a certificate and being asked to come back another day) is complete crap. But do try to relax and enjoy yourself and it will make things a lot easier for you.

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I heard they flush your head down the toilet if you don't give them your lunch money.

and hit you with a tariff of a bottle of beer, every time you hit the horn instead of cancelling the indicators; which is a bit of a b@st@rd cos Honda have swapped them over since the last time I rode a bike 🤦🏼‍♂️

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I did it in 96 and failed.......this will surprise no one.

EDIT:
Was on hillstart on a 2t 50cc. Not an excuse, its just what it was.

But for OP.

Listen.
Keep your head up.
Look where you want to go.
Clutch is a decent panic off lever if it goes pear shaped.
Don't worry. It's ALOT of information to take in. If you're asked to come back and spend more time, no biggy. You got a lot of time to get it right; dont have much time if hurrying and get it wrong badly.

LNF
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:28 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a decade ago I managed to grab a handful of front brake while on the painted part of a zebra crossing in the pissing rain bravely lay her down to save a pedestrians life.

And still got a certificate....

When I re did it a few years ago with that being my only biking experience the main complaint from the instructor was that the 16 year old on a moped was getting away from me Embarassed .

I'd mainly just go looking to enjoy it, people pay more to drive a couple of miles on a 'super car experience' with a CBT you get let loose with a motorbike for the day while ticking off the first bit towards your licence.

I wouldn't worry if it doesn't click straight away either, as you've done your theory you're obviously going for your licence. So if you do get invited back to complete another day then it's just more useful tuition towards that anyway.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a wreck at the end of my CBT, the most intense thing I'd done for years until the DAS anyway.

You'll feel great when you get through it. After it, you'll know if you like biking or not

It's blooming great fun. Good luck.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

LNF wrote:
I'd mainly just go looking to enjoy it, people pay more to drive a couple of miles on a 'super car experience' with a CBT you get let loose with a motorbike for the day while ticking off the first bit towards your licence.

I wouldn't worry if it doesn't click straight away either, as you've done your theory you're obviously going for your licence. So if you do get invited back to complete another day then it's just more useful tuition towards that anyway.

That's a really good way of looking at it! Just relax and have a second or third pop at it if necessary, no big deal. Try to enjoy it is very good advice. The more relaxed you are the better, the more tense you are the more likely you are to cock it up and you'll be frustrated with yourself for making a mistake because of being stressed or tense and you're less likely to learn from your mistakes. Whereas if you cock it up through being relaxed and laid back you can have a pragmatic attitude towards it, learn from where you went wrong last time and like LNF said just count it as more practice in the saddle which can only be a bonus.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really easy and super chill. Zero stress. Wouldn't worry about it at all mate

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into it with the attitude that it's easy is a bad idea and probably going to get you an invitation to come back another day. You need to take it seriously and you need to concentrate and pay full attention. If you take it seriously and you're on your A game that day you'll ace it. Just don't beat yourself up if you do cock it up.

Tuberculosis wrote:
My dad said when he done his CBT (recently) a young lad turned up with his dad and the dad was bragging about how his son had been riding bikes on farmland since he was a tot and how he'd completely ace the CBT... Guess what... He was also told to come back another day!

This probably from complacency.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:33 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I was a wreck at the end of my CBT, the most intense thing I'd done for years until the DAS anyway.

You'll feel great when you get through it. After it, you'll know if you like biking or not

Must admit I didn’t. There is quite a gap between 125 tootling and riding something bigger. There was only one 2 minute bit in my CBT where I really enjoyed it. It’s a lot more fun now Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP... gorrn.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Must admit I didn’t. There is quite a gap between 125 tootling and riding something bigger. There was only one 2 minute bit in my CBT where I really enjoyed it. It’s a lot more fun now Wink

I had a ball on my CBT 2hr ride, but it was a warm sunny day with no wind, a good instructor, a brand new bike and only one other person who (as mentioned above) was progressing at an identical rate, so I probably was fortunate all my ducks were in a row.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2