40%  [ 4 ]
Ductape. fixes anything
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at the roadside and whatever penetrated the tyre has since been ejected it can by be hard to locate the puncture. It should be a 20 minute job but I recall pulling into a lay-by with a rapidly deflating rear tyre and struggling to locate the puncture on the now entirely flat rear tyre. Various pits and cuts showed themselves but I identified one as the culprit. I was wrong.

TL:DR. I once reamed the wrong hole and had to do it again properly... Hand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:02 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
I've had a few Stop-N-Go mushrooms fall back inside the tyre after some miles, it seems they are too slippery and don't work if the hole is sizeable...

That's been my experience too.

Courier265 wrote:
...After a few miles the mushroom bonds with the tyre.

They don't - they're covered in lubricant.

Stop 'N Go is the only repair I've used that has failed, Rema Tip Top and Sticky Strings have always worked first time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resurrecting this thread, as I've just been watching a newly released YouTube video by FortNine: "This Tire Plug Can Kill You – How to Best Fix a Flat"

tldr: He compares the following methods: Rope plugs, Stop'n Go mushroom plugs, Dynaplug spear plugs, and a vulcanised internal patch. He fixed a puncture using each method and then tested the integrity of each repair by pushing a rod against it until it failed. Outcome was that the cheap'n cheerful rope repair was best, and that in addition to it being the most expensive kit, the mushroom repair was downright dangerous because a relatively low force (80N, akin to running over a sharp stone?) would push the mushroom right out (and as you need to enlarge the original puncture hole significantly to fit the mushroom, that implies a very fast deflation...). Ties in with what a couple of people said upthread, too.

I carry a Stop'n Go kit myself, although I've never used it in anger; so this has given me cause to think. Would be interested what others think of the review

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review - confirms my own experience with the rope plugs - I was well impressed with the performance of the repair I carried out with an Ebay rope kit.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Just resurrecting this thread, as I've just been watching a newly released YouTube video by FortNine: "This Tire Plug Can Kill You – How to Best Fix a Flat"

tldr: He compares the following methods: Rope plugs, Stop'n Go mushroom plugs, Dynaplug spear plugs, and a vulcanised internal patch. He fixed a puncture using each method and then tested the integrity of each repair by pushing a rod against it until it failed. Outcome was that the cheap'n cheerful rope repair was best, and that in addition to it being the most expensive kit, the mushroom repair was downright dangerous because a relatively low force (80N, akin to running over a sharp stone?) would push the mushroom right out (and as you need to enlarge the original puncture hole significantly to fit the mushroom, that implies a very fast deflation...). Ties in with what a couple of people said upthread, too.

I carry a Stop'n Go kit myself, although I've never used it in anger; so this has given me cause to think. Would be interested what others think of the review

I always add a bit of rubber solution on the mushroom.

It would take a very specially shaped pointy stone to acually hit directly enough without deflecting the tyre (increasing internal air pressure) or the suspension. You are more likely to get another screw through your tyre.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed he didn't try the figure of 8 bungs.

I've taken to carrying a dynaplug kit for the exact reason he stated, they are tiny and a piece of piss to use. The figure of 8 things are a hassle to fit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More a commentary on shilling products? Thinking

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 16 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found the hardest part to be that of re-inflating. A few of us were on a Lincs Bike Night about 75 miles away when one bike punctured. Luckily there was a local at the meeting who gave us a foot pump in case the repair wasn't 100%. It wasn't, and the pump obvs came in handy. But we were miles from garages (apart from Brig and Barton there weren't any between Horncastle and the bridge). We did have some soda syphon hits but they were shit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:16 - 16 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, those CO2 canisters barely get enough in for them to be rideable. I carry six in my repair kit now because last time I used three, it was still hell of a squashy.

You can eventually put a fair bit of pressure in using a compact, double acting bicycle pump. Takes a while but doesn't run out.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 16 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I always add a bit of rubber solution on the mushroom.

I got tired of continually fixing the puncture and mushrooms bouncing about inside the tyre, so i started doing that too. Didn't have a problem with it again, and it lasted as long as the tyre.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent string, fixed a few now, on my own bikes and for others. They've lasted the life of the tyre without leaking. Tested at speed, would use on the car but it has a spare wheel. Oops what am I saying, that's torn it now Mad

I can get a tyre inflator under the CBR6 seat, but the RC8 can't hold its own minimalist tool kit nevermind anything else. Might have to get some nitrous oxide canisters from the local scrotes bakers and jam them in somewhere.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... people have been using plugs without glue? No wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:53 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The kit doesn't include it and doesn't mention it in the instructions, but I just think it's better to belt and braces things.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look in my "grab bag" that I keep in the topbox. Torch, knife, rubber cement, hole clearing tool and rubber mushroom things, oh dear. So I've added some of those rope thingies.

I also have 3x CO2 cannisters with a tyre adaptor. I could buy more but any recommendations on the smallest hand or foot pump one could get away with for motorcycle tyres? I have a shock pump that says it's only for high pressure and not to be used on bicycle tyres, would that work?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

[b]The kit doesn't include it[/] and doesn't mention it in the instructions, but I just think it's better to belt and braces things.

That surprises me. I agree that glue is a useful addition.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
any recommendations on the smallest hand or foot pump one could get away with for motorcycle tyres?

I recently bought a Rocky Creek Motopressor based on size and reviews. £40. Not used in anger but seems all right.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I also have 3x CO2 cannisters with a tyre adaptor.

Get 3 more. 3 is enough on my GSXR for a squishy tyre to limp to the nearest garage, 6 is enough to carry on till I reach a garage on my route.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this thread with interest; like the speed of the dynaplug kit but prefer the apparent effectiveness of the ropes; can anyone recommend a decent sticky strings kit please?

Edit: something like this? https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101778

Cheers. Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones I use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323909573898

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:00 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puncture Safe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puncture-Safe-Motorcycle-Tyre-puncture-preventative-sealant-780ml-/153595916648?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And dont give me any of that shite about 'out of balance', 'then you won't know you have a puncture', 'tire/tyre places won't/can't fix after it has been used in a tyre'.

I've used it for years and no kittens harmed.
Always gets some sport at a tyre dealer's shop though. Rolling Eyes

Unless you carry a pump a puncture on a bike can be a kunt if you're too far from town and don't have breakdown cover etc.
The little gas bottles won't fill a tyre so you have to ride at slow speeds until you can properly inflate a plugged tyre.

The liquid goo means you don't loose much air.

And.... you should be checking your tyres regularly for damage.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The little gas bottles won't fill a tyre so you have to ride at slow speeds until you can properly inflate a plugged tyre.

My bike has three of them in the onboard repair kit and I've never had to use all three. Using just two in the back tyre doesn't get it to the proper pressure but it does let me ride at normal road speeds. I've got by on one but that does mean riding slowly.

Normal road tyres will happily run at just about any speed with as little as 12-15psi in them. Ask any drag racer.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2