40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Ductape. fixes anything
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Puncture Kit? Dynaplug or Stop and Go Reply with quote

So I've just got a new tyre, last time I got a new one I didn't even get to break it in properly before I found a nail in it!

so I'm thinking it's about time I got some sort of puncture kit, so I'm looking at the Dynaplug Motorcycle or the Stop and Go portable plugger but I'm still undecided, has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these?

all also get a cheap compact 12v air compressor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither.

I always use the Rema kits Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:30 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either. In fairness, the dynaplug ones are probably better.

A lot of tyre places will insure your new tyre now. If I'd got a puncture so soon after fitting, my £3.50 insurance would have meant I got a new tyre for 20% of the normal price (then I'd have plugged the old one anyway).

Actually that reminds me. Must start riding about in the chevron areas again, if I don't get a puncture soon, it'll be below the minimum tread depth for the insurance policy.

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A lot of tyre places will insure your new tyre now. If I'd got a puncture so soon after fitting, my £3.50 insurance would have meant I got a new tyre for 20% of the normal price (then I'd have plugged the old one anyway).

I did not know this! to be fair I've only just got back into biking have been away from it for a couple of years. It's nice to have an insured tyre but I'm primarily concerned with getting the bike back home 1st.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Neither.

I always use the Rema kits Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up
Rema Tip Top.

stinkwheel wrote:
A lot of tyre places will insure your new tyre now.

I didn't know that either. Not sure I'd stump up though.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:45 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great experience using one of those Ebay kits (rubber strips, spiral rasper tool and insertion hook) after the rear tyre on my CBR got holed by a screw it picked up off the road somewhere.

The DIY plug sealed the tyre perfectly, I monitored the tyre pressure quite closely afterwards and there was no loss of pressure (outside of the normal slight loss of pressure you would get from a tyre over the course of a few weeks). The nub left by the rubber plug soon wore down, and after a couple of hundred miles it was difficult to spot where the repair was. The tyre was fine for the next couple of thousand milles right up to the point where the tread got low and it needed changing anyway.*

Just recounting my personal experience here rather than recommending the DIY kit - as obviously it's a safety critical issue - personal discretion etc.

*The rubber strips are fortified with a vulcanising glue (which makes them sticky) to help the bonding and sealing process - In addition I bought a small tube of vulcanising glue and smeared an extra amount onto the strip to ensure it bonded with the surrounding tyre rubber.

Last edited by droog on 10:10 - 22 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are some bikes more prone to punctures due to some subtle relationship to do with weight, wheelbase and wheel/tyre size?
I went years without one at all then had several on a Bandit 1200 and even more with BT1100.
Now with an XSR700 three years without getting one.

Before those two my bikes generally had narrower rear tyres that could be part of it. If it's 2x the width there's more to hit but the actual contact patch probably isn't 2x.

The most annoying was with the 1100 it was due MOT at 9:30 next day, so had a very quick ride of literally a couple of miles just to check new pads or whatever were bedded in - next morning it was flat in the shed having picked something up.
Inflated it and it was a slow enough leak to make it down there and back but nearly cancelled it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:33 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Are some bikes more prone to punctures due to some subtle relationship to do with weight, wheelbase and wheel/tyre size?
I went years without one at all then had several on a Bandit 1200 and even more with BT1100.
Now with an XSR700 three years without getting one.

The time I started getting more than my usual amount of punctures on my motorcycle commute into central London coincided with the London construction boom in the first half of the century; building sites were popping up everywhere on my route and every couple of months I would get a nail or a screw in the tyre.

I can only assume that the builders working up in the scaffolding were dropping the odd nail and screw as they were working, and that these nails, screws and tacks were pinging off the pavement and ending up in the road where they frequently transferred themselves into my tyres (having worked on building sites in the past this explanation seems entirely plausible).

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky strings, the good quality CAMEL ones. 3 times now and lasted the life of the tyre on two bikes, the CB500 had 2 in it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Sticky strings, the good quality CAMEL ones. 3 times now and lasted the life of the tyre on two bikes, the CB500 had 2 in it.

That's what I use in everything tubeless, if they can take 90psi in a trailer with 20 ton of spuds on, a bike should be a doddle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:23 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sticky strings - I've had several last the life of the tyre.

Rema Tip-Top is a good get you home solution.

Stop 'n Go plugs are shit.

In my experience. Smile

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the string kits on eBay along with the little CO2 bulbs, I see it as temporary till I get to a tyre place and they replace that with a proper repair.

Droog wrote:
In addition I bought a small tube of vulcanising glue and smeared an extra amount onto the strip to ensure it bonded with the surrounding tyre rubber.

Some cock slashed my Enfield back tyre a few weeks ago, didn't quite go right through (and it's tubed anyway), I glued the slash back together with that stuff, 400 miles later it is still bonded.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I use the string kits on eBay along with the little CO2 bulbs, I see it as temporary till I get to a tyre place and they replace that with a proper repair.

Droog wrote:
In addition I bought a small tube of vulcanising glue and smeared an extra amount onto the strip to ensure it bonded with the surrounding tyre rubber.

Some cock slashed my Enfield back tyre a few weeks ago, didn't quite go right through (and it's tubed anyway), I glued the slash back together with that stuff, 400 miles later it is still bonded.

I think I would have regarded the string repair as more permanent than the glued-up slash. I had a tubed rear tyre explode when the carcass failed and it wasn't funny.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I think I would have regarded the string repair as more permanent than the glued-up slash. I had a tubed rear tyre explode when the carcass failed and it wasn't funny.

Should say it's not permanent, new hoops are sat in the garage now waiting fitting. Illustrates how strong that vulcanising stuff can be though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party but another one for sticky string.

I've used it on bikes and cars and I've only once had it not worked first time which was on a car. Stuck another string in and all was good.

Plus replacement strings are cheaper than cheap chips.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strings for me too. I had two in one hole after I picked up a massive screw in a rear tyre. They held fine until the tyre was worn out

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just belatedly looked at Dynaplug Motorcycle and Stop and Go kits on YouTube. No glue! I'd want glue in there too, so I'll stick with the aforementioned and slightly simpler Rema Tip Top kit with mushroom plugs. Mind you, you do have to wait 20 mins or so for the glue to set.

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems the strings are very popular and very cheap I think I'll get some of those as a back up and throw them in my bag.

I decided the dynaplug was the way to go, it's small I can store it in the bike permanently and it allegedly does a permanent repair (the plugs are impregnated and are supposed to bond to the tire)

I also found a Chinese copy of the stop and go portable for less than £15 so I also ordered that 🙈 although I'm not convinced making the hole considerably bigger on a motorbike is a good idea to get the plugs in. But I see no reason I can't keep it in the car (no spare wheel)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop and Go every time.

I've had a kit on the back of my bike for some years now, I have the standard kit as shown. I don't normally repair a puncture on the road unless I really have to. Most objects that end up in my tyre stay there and I might have a slow leak, if so I will repair at home. If the leak is fast I will fix straight away.

The best thing of all about this kit is that I can treat it as a permanent repair.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Stop and Go every time.

Well yours is bigger than mine:

https://www.puncturerepair.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Pocket.jpg

To the OP - I can't comment on your comparison as I've never used Dynaplugs. However, whichever kit you go for I strongly recommend having a practice at home in the warm and dry; I really wouldn't want to be learning how to use it by the side of the road on a cold, wet dark evening...

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few Stop-N-Go mushrooms fall back inside the tyre after some miles, it seems they are too slippery and don't work if the hole is sizeable (i.e. made by a meaty screw or similar).

Sticky strings stay in place, much better Thumbs Up

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
I've had a few Stop-N-Go mushrooms fall back inside the tyre after some miles, it seems they are too slippery and don't work if the hole is sizeable (i.e. made by a meaty screw or similar).

I find that hard to believe, the air pressure keeps the mushroom in place and it's very hard to force the mushroom into the tyre. After a few miles the mushroom bonds with the tyre.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:06 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
I find that hard to believe, the air pressure keeps the mushroom in place and it's very hard to force the mushroom into the tyre. After a few miles the mushroom bonds with the tyre.

I can only guess it is caused by riding over little stones or something, which push the mushroom back inside. Sometimes the kit works great, sometimes it really doesn't and comes with the surprise of a very quick deflation.

I also find the lack of pliers in the kit really annoying, how else are you supposed to pull on the tail end - use your teeth?? With the string kits you don't need any extras.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people that have suffered punctures and repaired them successfully without recovery or replacing the tyre? You lucky sods. Shocked Laughing

For me the best puncture repair kit is a phone that has both charge and credit, and a recovery number stored inside of it (alongside a sat-nav app so I can locate exactly where I am for phone monkey in the process).

I have a stop and go without the gun, but after two punctures I've never managed to get going out without a recovery van because:

1) The first one I found after work, and was a long screw that had gone in at an angle (never did figure out if it was picked up at the end of the ride, or if it was done on purpose) causing multiple small slits. Thankfully I had a friend around in a car that had a portable tyre inflator. Without the friend I would have wasted the small canisters to no avail since it was leaking air even after plugging with a mushroom. It took a string and a mushroom to plug at home and was ridden slowly to get a new tyre fitted.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZYL4VFMw/20200114-101722.jpg

2) A van overtaking a bike in the opposite direction (forcing me to move over towards the kerb a little) either kicked up something, or I ran over something. Pop, pop.. wobble wobble.

I was on my own, and in the middle of nowhere. With no fuel stations around and two measly air canisters I decided to get recovery. The stop-and-go failed, and it was still leaking air owing to a small slit beside the plug when the recovery tried to inflate it.

I replaced that one because the bike was sold on a type of tyre that I didn't really want to take into winter, and so was the perfect time to switch over.

~

The recovery guy did mention glue when looking at my kit, but the mushrooms from new do come with a solution of some kind on them that may be why glue is not included in the kit (of course drying up as they get older).

I'd tend to lean towards recovery now if it occurs again. Sooner you phone the sooner you get home. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
The recovery guy did mention glue when looking at my kit, but the mushrooms from new do come with a solution of some kind on them that may be why glue is not included in the kit (of course drying up as they get older).

I believe that's just lubricant on the Stop & Go mushroom plugs, not glue.

I like these mushroom plugs instead of strings. I recently bought a tube of rubber glue from the bicycle counter at Halfords but now I'm wondering if it's the same stuff as used for motorcycle tyres, with the same temperature range. Thinking

I've done at least two roadside puncture repairs over the the years and treated them as permanent. Shifty An attempt to fix another at home with the green gunk aerosol stuff was unsuccessful, although I think it might have worked better if it had been in the tyre when the puncture occurred.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2