BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Route rating?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Route rating? Reply with quote

Given the only element of going on a tour that can be done right now is thinking about it, in this world of ever more information, is there a "route rating" or "road rating" database anywhere that would give a suggestion of particularly good/interesting roads to ride (or those to avoid)?

I enjoy poring over maps planning a tour and often there are numerous options for getting to the next stop, but a map only gives a limited insight into the road, e.g. it might look good but is actually clogged with caravans, or it's less twisty than the map suggests etc., or roads where their classification is misleading (e.g. I've happened across some "yellow" roads (on OS Maps) which are more like B-roads and have been relatively wide, good surface, fun yet little traffic).

Does such a thing exist? I'm thinking for the UK.

Cheers.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:09 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - 'Ride Magazine' compiled a list with maps of their favourite routes in the UK and Europe:

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bestbikingroads.com/

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth investing in:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9780749581862?gC=5a105e8b&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvOQKzsgVtCSz4EW9VEIILr1KpDWJq2dMsysICTUCtPnAiSlio9MEDoaAkBhEALw_wcB

And of course, if you're thinking of heading somewhere in particular, you could always ask right here on BCF if anyone knows of any routes to be recommended Smile
I learned about many of the best European routes on here, and wasn't disappointed when I went to see for myself.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks. Thumbs Up I don't have a specific destination/route in mind, but what I do want to do is string together some nice roads to make up a route (currently thinking initially of something workable at short notice, both from personal and work perspectives, for when lockdown eases, so a 2 day loop from Manchester down through Shropshire to mid-Wales, camp somewhere near Barmouth probably, then up the coast to Snowdonia before cutting back across Cheshire to Manchester again). In my minds eye, the ideal tool would almost be a heatmap of great biking roads which I can connect together to make a route - the bestbikingroads site almost does this.

That book looks interesting - is that one you have used?

Edit: ordered Bikers' Britain anyway - it's a tenner and looks good for a read anyway! Cheers chickenstrip. Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

That book looks interesting - is that one you have used?
Edit: ordered Bikers' Britain anyway - it's a tenner and looks good for a read anyway! Cheers chickenstrip. Thumbs Up

EVERYBODY's used that book Wink It's not a bad one to have in the house. Reckon I must have about 4 copies due to people over the years thinking it would make me a great Xmas present Rolling Eyes

Given the area you're particularly interested in, you might want to have a look at this post on UKGS - a whole load of routes in North/Mid Wales, which I saved for possible future personal use after it was crossposted either here or in another forum last week - looks like it might be quite useful:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/550955-Wales-some-of-my-favourite-roads-for-your-review-and-consideration
(Note - go to the bottom of the thread for an active Dropbox link)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the book myself, but I think I heard about the Charlbury TT route from that one...maybe? Think I saw a review of it when it first came out.

In Wales you're spoilt for choice. In mid Wales especially, there aren't many wrong choices you can make. The west coast I'm not so sure about. I visited Harlech Castle one time, but don't remember it being a particularly inspiring route I took, maybe others know better.

Look on a map, look especially for B roads among the hills between the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia. The surfaces of these were often better than A roads in England, with some proper rollercoaster rides, good scenery too.

Favourite Welsh A roads include the A483 from the junction of the A44 at Crossgates (cafe there*) up to Newtown...then turn round and do it in the other direction! Laughing Most of the A44 itself is good, especially out to Aberystwyth.

A favourite B road of mine is the B4518 from Rhayader up to Llanidloes, then on past the Clywedog Reservoir, turning off for Dylife and Machynlleth.

Snowdonia is good for scenery, some good roads around Bala, Ffestiniogg, scenery of the Snowdon horseshoe from Capel Curig along to Pen-y-Pass etc, and I seem to remember liking the A5 heading north from Capel Curig for a fast stretch, but mid Wales is where it's at for sheer fun imo. Less police for one thing, especially on week days Very Happy

*oh sod it, we don't do cafes anymore, do we? Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
2 day loop from Manchester down through Shropshire to mid-Wales, camp somewhere near Barmouth probably, then up the coast to Snowdonia before cutting back across Cheshire to Manchester again).

If you want any N.Wales roads, give me a yell, I'll send you a list, there's some hidden gems, route and road/riding preference dependent.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:32 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that Bikers' Britain book is a good one. Used that for my tour of Wales last summer. Basically, I holed up in Welshpool and tried to do one of the loops from the book each day.

There's also this Snowdonia 360 route from Nick Sanders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyx70k3YwkU
Looks a decent route and a more accessible alternative to the NC500.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope valley is, apparently, nice. Cup of tea available in Shrewsbury as you pass, if I’m about. Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
There's also this Snowdonia 360 route from Nick Sanders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyx70k3YwkU

Wow. This is so cool! Thank you, Arfa, for posting Nick Sanders.
I'm inspired.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

If you want any N.Wales roads, give me a yell, I'll send you a list, there's some hidden gems, route and road/riding preference dependent.

Cheers, that'd be great Thumbs Up

Arfa__ wrote:

That is fantastic - basically what I was looking to do! I can see a plan coming together.

Keithy wrote:
Hope valley is, apparently, nice. Cup of tea available in Shrewsbury as you pass, if I’m about. Thumbs Up

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind if we're passing that way. Thumbs Up

Ooh I'm getting quite excited now. Mr. Green

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Cheers, that'd be great Thumbs Up

What roads are you looking to ride? There's everything from fast A's to bimbly and nadgery, but paved, single tracks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1