Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To change bike or modify current?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:11 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: To change bike or modify current? Reply with quote

So I have an SV1000s which is perfectly good but I've never really liked the lent forward riding position of any bike so it's not for me. My options are to convert it to a flat handlebar and use it as it. The bike is a known quantity and it does everything ok, it's probably the cheapest option. Is changing a bike this much sacrilege or sensible?

My other option would be to get something different, I prefer twins and I'm not after anything too powerful and around £3k-ish. Options I'm considering are Monster S2r 800 or Aprilia Shiver 750, but open to suggestions. I do not use the bike for commuting apart from the odd sunny occasion and am happy to do work on it so being Italian isn't an issue. Anyone had either of these and can comment? This would obviously be more expensive.

Thanks for any help.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode the Aprilia back in 2011 ish. I didn't get on with it at all. It's a decent chassis but the engine was so asthmatic. It ran out of go for about 2000 of its last rpm's.

It was also pretty jerky and didn't like a stable throttle. I get that's twins in general but this one was worse than my KTM 990 was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:42 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Triumph 500 it had clip ons and a racing seat. Within a week it had a standard seat and 'flattracker' bars - much better. My neigbour had the opposite problem , he put flatter bars on his Harley sportster and it transformed it so he said. We don't sit there watching TV bent forwards at 45 degrees, so why should we ride a bike sat like that? Go for it , especially as it sounds like you like the SV.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
We don't sit there watching TV bent forwards at 45 degrees, so why should we ride a bike sat like that? Go for it , especially as it sounds like you like the SV.

When was the last time you got your knee down on the sofa though?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Shiver. Sucker for over-priced unreliable Italian stuff though.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

put straight bars on my Blackbird, couldn't be doing with the racing position.

try it and see

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:21 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an S2r 800 and it's a great bike, either pootling behind the child on their moped or having a moment to myself on full attack mode.

They didn't make many of them so you may struggle to find a good one.

The suspension and brakes are a bit 'budget' - they're fine and more than enough for most situations and you can get to the edges of the tyres but they're just not stunning. Plastic tanks can swell (as they do on various other makes), engine paint flakes, belts every couple of years (that seem to have got significantly more expensive since Ducati were taken over by VAG so I now use exactfit with a 3 year life) and sod all steering lock.

I've changed the suspension on mine and will be doing the front brakes next, it's all simple to do as other Ducati stuff drops straight in but the standard stuff will be over 10 years old so they'll probably need a refresh anyway.

Excuse for a pic

https://i.imgur.com/cS1L7ZB.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to try new things. If I was spending £3k on an upright bike I would consider a Fireblade with modified bars ie. CB1000 Laughing , in my head so please ignore anything I say.

Going to use the phrase Variety is the spice of life.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is going to get worked up about you doing anything to an SV1000. If you're generally happy with the bike but want to fiddle with the ergonomics, do it.

My general rule is to only make the decision about changing bikes when I'm riding the bike. It's easy to sit in my chair and think about how things could be better, then most of those concerns disappear when I'm actually riding the thing.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shiver 750 at the moment.

I do actually really like it, but they Dyno at closer to 75bhp than the claimed ~90. They're not a fast bike by any means.

Handling is so so, brakes are good but it's sprung too soft and over damped to compensate, I've gotten used to it, but coming from a supremely well suspended R1200GS it really took some getting used to

I'd keep the SV.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a straightforward thing to change the bars on an SV? It's an S you say, so is there room around the fairing - not going to impede steering in any way? Only other thing I can think of is would it make the riding position overall a bit odd, maybe need a change of footrest position to compensate? And if so, is that going to be easy to do?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the original bar incase you come to sell it. Other than that why not play around and see what it's like, especially if you like the bike.

I haven't changed bars on a bike for years but when I did, back when customising was regarded as something good Laughing , sometimes the foot position and new bar position never felt quite matched if you get my meaning.

Until you try it you will never know.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:30 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If you're generally happy with the bike but want to fiddle with the ergonomics, do it.

Have ridden it a few times since this and still believe the position isn't for me. The SV is a perfectly fine bike, although the brakes aren't too great. Neither here nor there for me, its a bike that works and is far more capable than me.

chickenstrip wrote:
Is it a straightforward thing to change the bars on an SV?
I think I'm going to give some of these bars a go (https://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/Tarozzi-adjustable-clipons-high) as I think they will give me the change in position I need, they also allow me to not cut any fairings or require different length cables/hoses from the reading I've done.

c_dug wrote:
I have a shiver 750 at the moment.

I do actually really like it, but they Dyno at closer to 75bhp than the claimed ~90. They're not a fast bike by any means.

Thanks, if you're ever in the south of England and fancy a brief bike swap for comparison let me know as I'd be intrigued.

@Blah blah, thanks for the heads up and the great pic. Looks the S2r wins hands down vs the SV at least!

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm gonna give the bar swap a go and see how I get on with that before considering the bike swap. WIll report back on how it goes Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1