Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noob buying BMW R1200RT, advise needed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Noob buying BMW R1200RT, advise needed. Reply with quote

Hi fellas and gentleladies,

I am buying my first big bike. I am pretty much set on used BMW R1200RT.
What age and mileage should I consider? I will be keeping bike for 4-5 years.
Also if you have experience with R1200RT, any advice will be very appreciated! Anything I should check before buying?

Thank you all!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a BIG bike, what kind of riding experience do you have? They aren't going to catch you out in the sense of power, speed, braking etc, but they are heavy and do need a fair degree of experience to handle...

I did an airfield day back in September and there was a guy there on the R1200RT, and he was QUICK. Bolt upright, with panniers, but often outbraked me and kept up with me on my 600RR in corners. They are pretty special bikes as far as I can tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:43 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
That is a BIG bike, what kind of riding experience do you have? They aren't going to catch you out in the sense of power, speed, braking etc, but they are heavy and do need a fair degree of experience to handle...

I did an airfield day back in September and there was a guy there on the R1200RT, and he was QUICK. Bolt upright, with panniers, but often outbraked me and kept up with me on my 600RR in corners. They are pretty special bikes as far as I can tell.

I been riding 2 years on 125, daily. I know it's a heavy bike, but I'm also certain it is a bike for me. I know I will have to adjust to its weight, I am willing to spend time before opening throttle wider.
I really don't want 600cc, not because of power/speed, but because of size. I want a BIG bike, comfortable seat, and enough room to EVENTUALLY mount a dog cage instead of pillion seat. This bike fits the bill perfectly.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go and find one and sit on it. I was convinced I wanted one until I sat on one; it felt like a small car and this put me off. Like anything, you get used to it though. Going from a 125 to that is a massive jump; you may find insurance (depending on your age and location) to be steep too.

In fact, if you can find a decent sized dealer with an RT in stock that'll let you sit on lots of bikes then I'd do that. It isn't a replacement for a test ride, but it will give you a limited insight into what it'd be like to ride. Even just lifting it level while sat on it will give you an indication of how heavy it is.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ This.
I was considering one a few years ago, but just sitting on one was enough to make me realise it was just far too huge and bulky. In fact I ended up on its sister bike, the R1200RS - which I love to bits and have no regrets at all, which says it all really. The only thing which might make me reconsider would be if I decided I wanted to do a lot of two-up touring; I think it would be in its element.

And yes, moving straight from a 125 to a massive bike like that is a hell of a jump.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always wondered about the having a dog with you deal, their ears are a lot more sensitive than humans right? Would imagine wind noise for them is terrible but I could be wrong.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:08 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guilt of having an accident with an animal stuck in a cage sliding down the road grinding it's bones against tarmac. That would put me off more than the weight of the bike.

Last edited by P. on 08:49 - 23 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't really thought about the implications for the dog, but yeah it wouldn't be good. They have more sensitive ears and can't wear earplugs or even a helmet, so they'd get the full noise. Doesn't sound ideal, but I guess that's the OP's call.

Reminds me of an episode of Traffic Cops (or something similar) where a bloke was pulled over for riding a bike down the motorway with a "trailer" with a dog in it. The trailer was basically an oil drum with the side cut out and wheels attached. The police officer wasn't impressed.

Which brings me to the last bit; given how obsessive insurance companies are over the tiniest details, I can't imagine they'd be particularly impressed with a dogbox attached to the back of the bike. In real terms, it could definitely affect handling, both from the bulk of it but more the fact unless the dog is very small/light, it could jump about and unsettle the bike? So to an insurer, this could be perceived as an increased risk and perhaps even an uninsurable one.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:05 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I want a bike which weighs a quarter of a tonne as my first bike"

followed by :

"I've had two years on a 15 BHP 125, so should be ok"

followed by:

"I'm strapping a dog to the bike"

hmmm...

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:11 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
^^^ This.
I was considering one a few years ago, but just sitting on one was enough to make me realise it was just far too huge and bulky. In fact I ended up on its sister bike, the R1200RS - which I love to bits and have no regrets at all, which says it all really. The only thing which might make me reconsider would be if I decided I wanted to do a lot of two-up touring; I think it would be in its element.

And yes, moving straight from a 125 to a massive bike like that is a hell of a jump.

I’ve owned an R1200RT and an R1200RS, as well as several GS’s

The RT is a brilliant two-up bike and handles superbly two-up fully loaded, better than a GS and much better than the RS. It’s a heavy old lump solo though.

Solo, the RS is superb on all but the bumpiest roads.

The GS is the best all round if you ride solo and two-up, especially on bumpy backroads.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:18 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, just my opinion, the jump is too big. Natural progression to a larger machine is normal for a reason but 125cc to the BMW is a huge gap. Do a test ride though first, I mean you may get along with it - who knows.
IMO once a bike becomes so big or so heavy it takes away the thrill I get from a lightweight 600 but of course each to their own.

Good luck what ever you do.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t say if you have your full licence yet. Have you done your Mod1 and Mod2 riding a larger bike?

I was convinced an F750GS was the bike for me, until I dropped it a few times while on my week course. While it’s only 5kg lighter than the RT it’s still a lot to try and balance.

I’ve shed 38kg (I wish!) and feel a lot better for it, much happier being a middleweight while I get some miles under my belt.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fuckton of a jump you're making. I'd REALLY recommend getting something at the half way point first. Look at something around the 600cc mark and get used to that first mate.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:49 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bad idea.

You currently have a 125, which weighs ~150kg.
I'm assuming you have done, or will be doing a DAS-type test, so that gives you a week of experience on something weighing ~200kg.

In my experience, once you go over 200kg you notice every extra bit of weight. My previous bike was 250kg, and I was always aware of the weight.

The BMW you're looking at is 250-260kg. Put some stuff in the panniers and a dog cage on the back and you'll be around 300kg, with lots of weight up high (where you don't want it).

Put the dog in the car. You don't enough experience to keep it alive on that bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Reminds me of an episode of Traffic Cops (or something similar) where a bloke was pulled over for riding a bike down the motorway with a "trailer" with a dog in it. The trailer was basically an oil drum with the side cut out and wheels attached. The police officer wasn't impressed.

That was someone various BCF people know.

On board camera confirming that the dog is happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_t3e8qyzE

And here they are on Traffic Cops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Uj6_7Mm2s

Putting a dog in a crate attached to where the pillion seat would be sounds like a terrible idea though!

Rockburner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:36 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
enough room to EVENTUALLY mount a dog cage instead of pillion seat. This bike fits the bill perfectly.

Just a thought - are you aware that there are dog-carrying bags specifically designed for the purpose?

Just playing devil's advocate but I'm not sure a cage is the safest way to carry a dog on a bike. I'm thinking about if/when an accident happens, you don't want the dog trapped in the cage and the cage being all bent and broken.

What size dog are you thinking of carrying?

A friend of mine used to carry a Border Terrier type dog in a champagne crate on the back of (IIRC) a Suzuki 400 Katana - you don't necessarily need a huge bike to carry a lot of luggage.

Are you thinking that the R12RT will be good because you're a large bloke yourself? (it's a consideration, but it doesn't necessarily follow that you need a large bike).

I'd personally suggest that a 500 or 600 twin would be an ideal bike for a few years, far less expensive to drop (you WILL drop it at some point, even if it's just over-balancing at standstill), and will still be fully capable of carrying a top-box or tank-bag for the dog. Smile

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:10 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a serious bloody word with yourself if you think it's safe to carry a dog on a motorcycle. I don't even put my dogs in the boot of the car - they are in harness's connected to the rear seats - to stop any issues like crumple zones in the boot. Absolutely ridiculous to carry one on a bike.

As far as the bike goes they are very big and very heavy but do handle remarkably well. The ones to avoid are pre 2007 with servo assist ABS brakes.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if serious... Thinking

Go buy your big bmw, but leave the dog out of it. Come back after riding it a few months and let us know how you get on.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:49 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Ive always wondered about the having a dog with you deal, their ears are a lot more sensitive than humans right? Would imagine wind noise for them is terrible but I could be wrong.

You can buy ear defenders for dogs.

https://www.petsecure.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Dog-with-ear-muffs.jpg

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with PotatoHead2020 and bacon and most of the others. The safest place for a dog to be is, as PotatoHead2020 said, belted up in a harness.
Some might say that's taking it to extremes, dunno how some dogs would react to being restrained like that but a close second in my opinion is in the front footwell of a car. Bad idea taking a dog on a bike. In all seriousness if you absolutely must tour around on a bike with your dog have you considered a sidecar?

Leaving the dog issue to one side do you really need a bike that big for your first bike? I wanted a fast powerful bike for my first bike despite everyone telling me to get something tame like a 60bhp 600cc but I was sure I could handle it (perhaps misguidedly so) and restrain myself from riding beyond my ability (touch wood haven't come a cropper yet but maybe that's more down to luck than good judgement and skill) but I absolutely KNEW getting a big heavy bike would be a bad idea. I knew I wanted something relatively lightweight around the 200kg mark so I started on a 100bhp 600cc Fazer and went up to a 150bhp 1000cc Fazer. I've had other bikes for short periods as well but these have been my main two bikes since passing. And on that subject I couldn't recommend a Fazer 600 enough as a first bike. More weather protection than any other 'naked' bike to the point it almost puts it in the sport tourer category but you have a nice comfortable fully upright riding position, it's lightweight and manageable, plenty powerful enough to keep up with the 600 super sports and handles really well through the twisties. Couldn't really think of a better bike to start out on but we all have our different wants and needs when it comes to riding so ultimately it's your choice but I would have a long hard think about getting a bike that big and heavy, even an experienced rider probably wouldn't buy a bike that big to have fun on it would be more for getting from A to B in comfort in which case why don't you buy a car? Ride a bike for fun! Get a powerful machine if you must but do you really need all that bulk - on your first ever proper bike?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1