Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free School Meals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of vouchers pre paid type cards which can only be used for food, they can't transferred and can't be used to withdraw cash Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that there wasn't this obsession with ways of preventing fraud when the Government was handing out furlough and grants, some of which it is suspected was fraudulently claimed. In this country we really do hate the poor.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:14 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Logistics. Assuming for hot meals you need to either deliver them to the end user or bring the end user to a centralised point for distribution. Either way is expensive and full of red tape. Even if you use volunteers, vetting would need to be done and most of them would vanish in to thin air after posting their first photo of a delivery on social media and getting some likes.

Vouchers can be easier, though more open to abuse.

Yes delivering the meals would be expensive however if the free meals are only being distribute to those genuinely in need then then that should mean a relatively small number of meals to deliver rather than just giving everyone vouchers.

The way I see it there are two groups who're the 'target' for free school meals in the holidays; families who're literally living on the bread line and can't afford to feed their kids well and there are families who're feckless and don't bother feeding their kids properly. If you give those two groups vouchers then not all of those vouchers won't get turned into proper meals for their kids.

The objective is for kids to be fed a proper meal and the most direct route that isn't open to abuse. The objective isn't for the parents to learn about budgeting and cooking meals for their kids, they've already failed at that, if we're wanting those children to get a meal then we should give meals rather than anything else.

It's not as if delivering food is a new concept so it should be well within the realms of possibilities to deliver meals to those kids.

Pjay wrote:
Vouchers = easy to print

Hot meals = Expensive to produce and distribute.

I don't see the fascination with what temperature the meal is, as long as the meal has a decent calorific value and is fairly healthy, does it matter?

What temperature the meal is is somewhat besides the point other than servicing a hot meal is better than giving someone a tuna fish and sweetcorn sandwich, a bag of crisps and a piece of fruit.

Voucher printing? Plenty of the eligible kids will be the ones who struggled to be able to do any school work during lockdown due to not having a computer at home so expecting them to print vouchers might be an exercise in futility.

Everything to do with addressing the root cause of the parents being unable to feed their kids properly in the school holidays is something for social services at the local authority to deal with,

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Odd that there wasn't this obsession with ways of preventing fraud when the Government was handing out furlough and grants, some of which it is suspected was fraudulently claimed. In this country we really do hate the poor.

That's oranges and apples, tbh a stupid statement.

Furlough, rightly or wrongly was an emergency system implemented to stop people suddenly finding themselves out of work with no money and a overloaded collapsing social security system. That people chose to take advantage of it or being truthful, commiting fraud is a damning indictment of the society we now live in.

Someone who spends their money on non essentials and then having their kids go hungry is also abusing the system. If the state just gives money to families who don't spend it on their kids, the kids go hungry however much money is thrown at them. Stopping misuse is stopping kids going hungry. So a voucher, pre paid card or even hot meals is way better than giving money to families who the social workers I'm sure are more than aware of thir problems.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It is 'oranges and apples' for sure, but I know plenty of people who applied for and got assistance when they didn't really need it, yet this was given without scrutiny or moral outrage. For example someone I work with bought a sofa with his 5k. Another couple had their back-garden landscaped for 10k. Yet when there is a suggestion of giving something more to the poorer end of society, everyone immediately assumes it will be spent on non-essentials rather than its intended purpose, that being food for children.

My point is that we live in an upside-down world where fear of fraud on the part of the poor is far greater than fear of throwing money away at wealthier folk who don't actually need it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had kids, feeding them properly is quite literally the very last thing I would stop doing. I would be walking round dressed in a poncho made from an old blanket with no shoes on before my kids went without a meal on account of how I'd already have sold my shoes and clothes.

So. Priorities?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If I had kids, feeding them properly is quite literally the very last thing I would stop doing. I would be walking round dressed in a poncho made from an old blanket with no shoes on before my kids went without a meal on account of how I'd already have sold my shoes and clothes.

So. Priorities?

Absolutly

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:

It is 'oranges and apples' for sure, but I know plenty of people who applied for and got assistance when they didn't really need it, yet this was given without scrutiny or moral outrage. For example someone I work with bought a sofa with his 5k. Another couple had their back-garden landscaped for 10k. Yet when there is a suggestion of giving something more to the poorer end of society, everyone immediately assumes it will be spent on non-essentials rather than its intended purpose, that being food for children.
My point is that we live in an upside-down world where fear of fraud on the part of the poor is far greater than fear of throwing money away at wealthier folk who don't actually need it.

You're implying everyone is corrupt with the specific exception of low-income parents. There are many injustices but the point here is that fraud on the part of the poor would mean innocent children wouldn't get the aid the State tries to provide. That's worse than blowing state aid on a sofa, although I'd nail those bastards too. Incidentally what kind of state aid hands out that kind of money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're implying everyone is corrupt with the specific exception of low-income parents.

Not at all.

Quote:
Incidentally what kind of state aid hands out that kind of money?

The 5k was furlough and the 10k was a business grant. Neither person needed the money, hence the fact that they were able to spend it on luxuries.

My point is that nobody batted an eyelid when large sums of money were given to some, yet people are up in arms when small amounts are suggested for others. The ones who actually need it are the ones whom the Government (and many on here...) are happy to lump in with benefit scroungers, druggies, large television owners and other assorted lowlife. It just seems like an upside-down way of looking at things, that's all.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is easy.

A lot of this problem is of course caused by Coronavirus.

Coronavirus is China's fault.

Therefore we treat all our kids to lush meals and send the bill to China.

Laughing

Interestingly, regarding the comparison with giving to charity, it was on the news last night that Comic Relief has given way to Lammy and will no longer send White Saviours to Africa to highlight their plight.

Still not good enough, those in the know have branded it 'too little too late'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:46 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
The solution is easy.

Laughing

Interestingly, regarding the comparison with giving to charity, it was on the news last night that Comic Relief has given way to Lammy and will no longer send White Saviours to Africa to highlight their plight.

In fairness i kinda agree on this one, was always very trite but stacey dooley just annoys me anyway so is probably the feather to the comic reliefs camel back.
Still, you cant have your cake and eat it either, so i presume the black comooonity is going to take it from here? Will the jamaicans be that bothered about the kids in somalia? Time will tell

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:27 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we send the bill to Ankin Law and get them to send it to China with hugs and kisses from one Mr Adam the Aarons. Wub

This whole situation could have been avoided if Marcus Rashford's parents had fed him in the school holidays. Gagged

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had been told back in the early eighties when I left school that any child in 2002 would need government assistance to eat I wouldn't have believed it.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
bhinso wrote:
The solution is easy.

Laughing

In fairness i kinda agree on this one, was always very trite but stacey dooley just annoys me anyway so is probably the feather to the comic reliefs camel back.
Still, you cant have your cake and eat it either, so i presume the black comooonity is going to take it from here? Will the jamaicans be that bothered about the kids in somalia? Time will tell

The point is that, in giving charitable donations in the form of meals, will it come back to bite the givers in terms of being 'rich/white/priveleged saviours?'

I'm wondering if there will be a new version of Christmas Carol this year where Scrooge changes his ways, gives away all his money, but then gets told off by Lammy.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
If I had been told back in the early eighties when I left school that any child in 2002 2020 would need government assistance to eat I wouldn't have believed it.

I still don't.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, they didn't have expensive mobile phones (more important) in the 80's

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about someone, say the Lib Dems, set up an NGO to make and take contributions to pay for this? Then perhaps government could make a contribution rather than having to cover the entire cost out of the wider taxpayer's pocket, since there is division of opinion. Wouldn't do the Lib Dem's voting base any harm either.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
How about someone, say the Lib Dems, set up an NGO to make and take contributions to pay for this? Then perhaps government could make a contribution rather than having to cover the entire cost out of the wider taxpayer's pocket, since there is division of opinion. Wouldn't do the Lib Dem's voting base any harm either.

I suspect beecause despite most people are struggling to survive the left still expect yo to donate to supporting mr Corbyn.

Last edited by Polarbear on 11:18 - 31 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
If I had been told back in the early eighties when I left school that any child in 2002 2020 would need government assistance to eat I wouldn't have believed it.

I still don't.

Fuckin cheap Chinese time machine Rolling Eyes

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
The thing is, they didn't have expensive mobile phones (more important) in the 80's

You would be surprised how many people don't have mobile phones and especially smart phones and even then if they do they don't know how to use them or actually have them connected to a network. When I worked in homeless support it was amazing how many clients, even young ones who didn't have a clue about modern coms. There were twenty somethings I would have to explain email to. Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
You would be surprised how many people don't have mobile phones and especially smart phones and even then if they do they don't know how to use them or actually have them connected to a network. When I worked in homeless support it was amazing how many clients, even young ones who didn't have a clue about modern coms. There were twenty somethings I would have to explain email to. Shocked

Interesting.

Any citations to support your argument?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems some people haven't experienced what going without is like....and that's a good thing.

For a time our mother was grateful for the extra help when it came to us receiving free school meals. Kids don't particularly want to be in the queue with dinner tickets.

Better to wag your fingers at those who choose to spend people's taxes on folly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone enlighten me, i was lucky enough not to be ine of the kids with a green ticket (as they were when i was in school) nor need to claim it for my own kids, but how does this work usually, without the covids? Would there been some sort of entitlement in last years holidays?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Seems some people haven't experienced what going without is like....and that's a good thing.

For a time our mother was grateful for the extra help when it came to us receiving free school meals. Kids don't particularly want to be in the queue with dinner tickets.

Better to wag your fingers at those who choose to spend people's taxes on folly.

I just don't know how. I still don't. I spent my entire childhood 'in poverty' and so did my wife (obviously not my wife at the time).

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/real-lives-people-5-essexs-2936943

I grew up for the most part on Craylands. She spent a fair chunk of her time in Seabrook Rise. Believe me, they were no better 20 years ago.

Both of our families struggled but neither of us starved - or even really got close to starving.

In the modern day equivalent my siblings' kids have all started to rinse and repeat the same process of knocking up birds and knocking out babies and again - not one of them - not one is starving.

Genuinely interested in where these starving kids are and what type of demographic is worst hit because I don't know anyone that this appears to apply to.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Interesting.

Any citations to support your argument?

Sure I'm going to publish private information of social work clients on a fucking Internet forum, get a grip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4