Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Born Again Rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Born Again Rider Reply with quote

I am 55 years old have never owned a motorcycle.
However, I do have a full motorcycle licence.

Long story short, 30 years ago I wanted a CBR 600, but I didn't want to buy a 125cc only to sell it on when I passed my test. What I did do was go on a few rider courses and eventually passed my test in 1990 on a rented Honda CB 125 - which was the last time I rode a motorcycle.

Alas, a marriage and mortgage soon followed and the motorcycle never happened.

..... but now I would like a motorcycle again. And can buy anything I want. Should I buy that Honda CBR600RR?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were an epically brilliant natural rider, no.

Or if you want to buy it but are going to do a sensible ‘updating’ course first, possibly.

Have you even sat on one?

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:34 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Unless you were an epically brilliant natural rider, no.

Or if you want to buy it but are going to do a sensible ‘updating’ course first, possibly.

Have you even sat on one?

No. I haven't even sat on one.
Would it really be that foolhardy?

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently out with my instructor and we pulled over for a coffee. A guy came up to chat to him, very similar story to you. Had passed test a long time ago but wanted to get on a bigger bike. The instructor basically said you never lose it, but recommended a few hours refresher. Seemed to make sense really. Might cost you a couple of hundred quid, but got to be money well spent.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be dodging that coffin for long.... Laughing
If you really have only wobbled around on a 125 years ago then riding one of those will feel like being fired out of a gun.
You'll literally exceed a typical 125s top speed before you hit second gear assuming you don't just loop it. At least do a
re-familiarisation course with a riding school first. You could even repeat the CBT but do it on a big bike for that matter.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:55 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was recently out with my instructor and we pulled over for a coffee. A guy came up to chat to him, very similar story to you. Had passed test a long time ago but wanted to get on a bigger bike. The instructor basically said you never lose it, but recommended a few hours refresher. Seemed to make sense really. Might cost you a couple of hundred quid, but got to be money well spent.

So not reckless if I was to enroll on a refresher course?

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:58 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Won't be dodging that coffin for long.... Laughing
If you really have only wobbled around on a 125 years ago then riding one of those will feel like being fired out of a gun.
You'll literally exceed a typical 125s top speed before you hit second gear assuming you don't just loop it. At least do a
re-familiarisation course with a riding school first. You could even repeat the CBT but do it on a big bike for that matter.

Seriously now.
My health is at stake here.
And I can only assume what you mean by, "loop it".

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, it's very late in the day, and time stands still for no man. You wanted a CBR600 30 years ago. Ha! I wanted one even as a kid. Since then, many opportunities have arisen for me to buy a good one, but I never did. The reason is that my preferred style of riding and the places where I ride don't favour that type of bike. Did I know that as a kid? No.

This was the time and place to ride a CBR600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv4kMowTAw

That was 30 years ago. You decided against it, and now that entire scene - well, good luck if you can find it because you'll certainly have to search hard. People changed. Many new people even tend to buy new bikes and then stick to the speed limits everywhere - safety tends to be a much higher priority for riders now. Sports bike riders often (not always) take track day training, which is now widely available and a popular thing. Bikes changed as well.

If you want a comparable example, there's a guy who lives not far from me, who bought himself a ridiculously overpowered sports bike as his first bike this year. Not quite as old as you, but still old. He'd probably been hankering after it for many years. I saw him ride it just once, and the guy was just riding as if he were terrified. He will end up selling it. Bikes are not the poor man's Ferrari - you can't fulfil a dream by just owning one - you have to use it as well.

Therefore you should probably just put the CBR600 out of your mind. Go back to a riding school, take a refresher course on one of their bikes, have a chat with them about what bikes are available and what would suit you.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:45 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Realistically, it's very late in the day, and time stands still for no man. You wanted a CBR600 30 years ago. Ha! I wanted one even as a kid. Since then, many opportunities have arisen for me to buy a good one, but I never did. The reason is that my preferred style of riding and the places where I ride don't favour that type of bike. Did I know that as a kid? No.

This was the time and place to ride a CBR600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv4kMowTAw

That was 30 years ago. You decided against it, and now that entire scene - well, good luck if you can find it because you'll certainly have to search hard. People changed. Many new people even tend to buy new bikes and then stick to the speed limits everywhere - safety tends to be a much higher priority for riders now. Sports bike riders often (not always) take track day training, which is now widely available and a popular thing. Bikes changed as well.

If you want a comparable example, there's a guy who lives not far from me, who bought himself a ridiculously overpowered sports bike as his first bike this year. Not quite as old as you, but still old. He'd probably been hankering after it for many years. I saw him ride it just once, and the guy was just riding as if he were terrified. He will end up selling it. Bikes are not the poor man's Ferrari - you can't fulfil a dream by just owning one - you have to use it as well.

Therefore you should probably just put the CBR600 out of your mind. Go back to a riding school, take a refresher course on one of their bikes, have a chat with them about what bikes are available and what would suit you.

erm ....
Thanks for that. I appreciate it.
And food for thought.
.... but less of the old.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:12 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of the bike you speak of Wink A guy at my works commutes (or commuted past tense, given the current situation) on a CBR600RR.

Do you like going fast? Like really, really fast? This like many other sports bikes will do that... which is good as you'll want to get to your destination quickly ere you cripple your back.

Do you want a bike that looks fast with sleek racing fairings? Don't like doing maintenance? Great! As you'd spend >1hr just getting the plastics off before you need a bit of a lie down to think about the next steps to check your valve shims.

Now, most of the above applies to sports bikes in general and like them, despite being a relatively light bike (the later ones anyway) it's surprisingly ungainly when you need to push it around. Oh, and did I mention you're hunched over in a racing position and you might find it uncomfortable after a while? I did? Let me mention it again...

Let's not get bogged down on "is it better than a Ninja?" etc. as from a beginner's perspective that's like asking the trainee Lion-tamer if he'd rather prefer to start with Tigers Wink

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:23 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I know of the bike you speak of Wink A guy at my works commutes (or commuted past tense, given the current situation) on a CBR600RR.

Do you like going fast? Like really, really fast? This like many other sports bikes will do that... which is good as you'll want to get to your destination quickly ere you cripple your back.

Do you want a bike that looks fast with sleek racing fairings? Don't like doing maintenance? Great! As you'd spend >1hr just getting the plastics off before you need a bit of a lie down to think about the next steps to check your valve shims.

Now, most of the above applies to sports bikes in general and like them, despite being a relatively light bike (the later ones anyway) it's surprisingly ungainly when you need to push it around. Oh, and did I mention you're hunched over in a racing position and you might find it uncomfortable after a while? I did? Let me mention it again...

Let's not get bogged down on "is it better than a Ninja?" etc. as from a beginner's perspective that's like asking the trainee Lion-tamer if he'd rather prefer to start with Tigers Wink

....erm
well I did have the sense to enquire before I bought anything.
But I still want a bike.
No commuting. Maybe 2 or 3 hours in reasonable weather.
And you hit the nail on the head there my friend.
No maintenance. Just turn the key and away I go.
And after 3 hours a 55 year old still feeling ... well ... like a 55 year old.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's also mention that older, decent nick CBR600RR's are going up in price. Don't spaz a decent one into the hedge, please.

Go see your local instructor. Get a few hours on one of their bikes, it'll be a stepping stone. You need one, normally I tell people on a first big bike to just be careful, but not having ridden anything than an asthmatic 125 30 years ago? Go get some time. There's no pressure, no test to pass, and the instructor will probably welcome that as a change from sheparding noobs through a CBT or the test pressure of a DAS.

Then see about riding something more fun, but bear in mind that full Race Rep 90's 600's were fairly unforgiving, both in ergonomics and performance. At 55, most people are selling them on and getting something with a less hardcore riding position, and You have to rev the tits off them, they want to be hammered everywhere, and you'll struggle to do that these days. You would probably be pleasantly surprised what a tourer can do as well, there's were a few option's in the 90's if you want to stick to that timeframe.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a rider in your situation, I suggest a bike that is lighter and a bit smaller as you develop your motorcycling skills. Not implying you buy anything that shouts "learner bike" to everyone on the street; there are many bikes available that would be appropriate for someone getting back into riding after a 30 year layoff. May I make the following suggestions:

1. A lighter bike, something you can muscle around a bit and easily pick up yourself if you drop it.
2. A moderately powered bike, something with a linear power band, unintimidating, but with enough power to be fun when you get the urge.

I suggest a middleweight in the 400cc-500cc range. A Kawasaki Z400 would be tits if you're looking to buy new. If used, maybe an older EX500 or Suzuki GS500, or even a KTM 390 would fit the bill. These bikes are all great fun, and quite entertaining in the upper rpm range. Bounce it off the rev limiter a few times and you'll know what I mean.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Born Again Rider Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:
I am 55 years old have never owned a motorcycle.
However, I do have a full motorcycle licence.
Should I buy that Honda CBR600RR?

IMHO , no.
Wobbling around on a 125 thirty years ago to a CBR600RR ? Yeh that’s going to end well!
However it’s your choice and your wallet, you crack on Thumbs Up

Insurance company will see a completely new rider with zero experience trying to insure a 600cc pocket rocket Shocked !
Good luck with that, it won’t be cheap.

Have you considered another 125 or a 250/400 as a way of finding you feet before jumping on a CBR600RR?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:57 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 50 rode a bike about 30 years ago too, but didn't do any tests, 18 months ago did a CBT and got a 125 and i love it, it does everything i need and have no need for anything more powerful, jumping onto a 600cc without doing a refresher is nuts and in all honesty modern bikes have improved considerably and you may find that a 600 is too much and a 4/500 is better, also a sports bike riding position might not be very comfortable after a few minutes, and that is where the dangers are as you can't concentrate properly, as said do some training before making a decision Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
I suggest a middleweight in the 400cc-500cc range. A Kawasaki Z400 would be tits if you're looking to buy new. If used, maybe an older EX500 or Suzuki GS500, or even a KTM 390 would fit the bill. These bikes are all great fun, and quite entertaining in the upper rpm range. Bounce it off the rev limiter a few times and you'll know what I mean.

Any of the 650 class would be tame relative to a 600 race bike. IMHO a smaller bike is well suited to doing short runs or urban work whereas a larger engine is helpful for a bit of light touring.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will cripple you one way or another, look at a different style of bike like the Yamaha MT07 or Suzuki Vstrom (just an idea other similar bikes are available)
Around 600cc is a good size to get back in the swing of it.
You aren't too old though plenty here are 60+ *cough*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:37 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it and enjoy it. You waited this long! Thumbs Up

*Bucket list tick*

I remember threads where peple are like ''yeah but the throttle goes both ways'' etc.

It goes as fast as you want too!

DO IT.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
A guy came up to chat to him, very similar story to you. Had passed test a long time ago but wanted to get on a bigger bike. The instructor basically said you never lose it, but recommended a few hours refresher. Seemed to make sense really. Might cost you a couple of hundred quid, but got to be money well spent.

Definitely this. It's exactly what I did myself after a 30-year hiatus; and although I'd originally had more experience than the OP (4 or 5 years ownership of bikes up to 250cc) it was really helpful and worthwhile. OP - go and do this, then you'll also be in a better position to decide what bike you might want to go out and buy (but please don't make it a CBR600RR, eh? I went for a V-Strom 650 and had no regrets)

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is probably getting the general idea by now; as above really, I'd get a day with an instructor (used to be called conversion days, converting from 125 to a big bike ready for mod 1/2 training); if you pay him/her for the day and explain what you want (refamiliarisation etc.) and they can make the day fit to your agenda. By the end of it you'll have covered a good chunk of miles, should have relaxed back into riding enough to start thinking about how you are getting on with the bike you're on, which will probably be a 650 twin of some sort or similar. Then chat with the instructor about what you should be buying.

In summary, a 600 class sportsbike is a pretty extreme one-trick pony. If you have good flexibility, don't suffer from arthritis (or expect to in the near future) and only intend on summer blasts for a few hours then it's a possibility, otherwise I'd suggest something a bit more rounded.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the 600RR? Just get a Fireblade and have done with it Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If you have good flexibility, don't suffer from arthritis (or expect to in the near future)

Well I'm fifty five and meet the above criteria, but a couple of hours on a super sports and I'd be in agony. My FZ1 might not be as flash looking as a CBR600RR, but it's bloody fast and I don't need the assistance of a team of paramedics to climb off of it after a ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Insurance company will see a completely new rider with zero experience trying to insure a 600cc pocket rocket Shocked !
Good luck with that, it won’t be cheap.

Seems not. Apparantly some companies consider car use relevant.
Just done a quick search on GoCompare and I have been offered - on a 2010 Honda CBR 600RR bought for £3500 - comprehensive cover for £215.38 (annual single payment) and 132.24 (annual single payment) for Third Party Fire and Theft. Company is MCE.

Right Choice Insurance Brokers (via GoCompare) have offered me comprehensive insurance for £9602.99. That is not a typo. Nine and a half grand.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Why the 600RR? Just get a Fireblade and have done with it Cool

Because I always wanted a CBR 600.
But now it seems not.
My research and request for advice - from you all - appears to have been most beneficial.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:37 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
If you have good flexibility, don't suffer from arthritis (or expect to in the near future)

Well I'm fifty five and meet the above criteria, but a couple of hours on a super sports and I'd be in agony. My FZ1 might not be as flash looking as a CBR600RR, but it's bloody fast and I don't need the assistance of a team of paramedics to climb off of it after a ride.

This may be the single most important deciding factor.
I - like you - am in pretty good shape. But I am 55.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2