Born Again Rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
OP is probably getting the general idea by now; as above really, I'd get a day with an instructor (used to be called conversion days, converting from 125 to a big bike ready for mod 1/2 training); if you pay him/her for the day and explain what you want (refamiliarisation etc.) and they can make the day fit to your agenda. By the end of it you'll have covered a good chunk of miles, should have relaxed back into riding enough to start thinking about how you are getting on with the bike you're on, which will probably be a 650 twin of some sort or similar. Then chat with the instructor about what you should be buying.

I think so too. A day with an instructor.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:41 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Let's also mention that older, decent nick CBR600RR's are going up in price. Don't spaz a decent one into the hedge, please.

Go see your local instructor. Get a few hours on one of their bikes, it'll be a stepping stone. You need one, normally I tell people on a first big bike to just be careful, but not having ridden anything than an asthmatic 125 30 years ago? Go get some time. There's no pressure, no test to pass, and the instructor will probably welcome that as a change from sheparding noobs through a CBT or the test pressure of a DAS.

Then see about riding something more fun, but bear in mind that full Race Rep 90's 600's were fairly unforgiving, both in ergonomics and performance. At 55, most people are selling them on and getting something with a less hardcore riding position, and You have to rev the tits off them, they want to be hammered everywhere, and you'll struggle to do that these days. You would probably be pleasantly surprised what a tourer can do as well, there's were a few option's in the 90's if you want to stick to that timeframe.

erm.
Thanks for that Dippy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:46 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if you want a CBR600RR, go get one. It's not going to do anything all that surprising unless you tell it to, they deliver power progressively and in line with rev speed.

It will however utterly exceed your capabilities if you are imprudent with your application of the throttle.

You do know there is also the CBR600F which has a less extreme riding position but is still every bit a 600 supersports with a sublimely capable chassis and more power on tap than you'll be able to handle for a long while yet.

I've been riding big sports tourers for years. The wifes CBR6F seems like a kiddies toy when I sit on it but it goes round corners before I even think about them and if I wind it on to full-chat, is perfectly capable of accelerating me outside my frame of reference in a few seconds. That said, in order to do that, you have to mean to do it, pile the revs on. First time I rode it, I thought there was a problem with the carburettion because it felt so flat and dull at lower revs.

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd say if you want a CBR600RR, go get one. It's not going to do anything all that surprising unless you tell it to, they deliver power progressively and in line with rev speed.

It will however utterly exceed your capabilities if you are imprudent with your application of the throttle.

You do know there is also the CBR600F which has a less extreme riding position but is still every bit a 600 supersports with a sublimely capable chassis and more power on tap than you'll be able to handle for a long while yet.

I've been riding big sports tourers for years. The wifes CBR6F seems like a kiddies toy when I sit on it but it goes round corners before I even think about them and if I wind it on to full-chat, is perfectly capable of accelerating me outside my frame of reference in a few seconds. That said, in order to do that, you have to mean to do it, pile the revs on. First time I rode it, I thought there was a problem with the carburettion because it felt so flat and dull at lower revs.

Interesting point and one I have overlooked.
After all - when I first wanted a CBR the RR did not exist.
Thinking about it I don't know why I have gravitated toward the RR.
Clearly - If I am adamant I want to buy a 600 (undecided now) - the F would be a much better option.

Thanks for that Stinky.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:
My research and request for advice - from you all - appears to have been most beneficial.

Well that's good to hear... most newbies coming on here in your situation would be likely to say ' well fuck it, I'm buying the CB600RR anyway' and then flounce off...

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:27 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Coffin Dodger wrote:
My research and request for advice - from you all - appears to have been most beneficial.

Well that's good to hear... most newbies coming on here in your situation would be likely to say ' well fuck it, I'm buying the CB600RR anyway' and then flounce off...

I am sure they do Freddy.
But there is a good reason I have lived to be 55.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:
Clearly - If I am adamant I want to buy a 600 (undecided now) - the F would be a much better option.

The F is a fine starter "big bike". It's not hardcore, but will keep you entertained for a a bit while you gain experience. I'd still go get a few hours with a local instructor though.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:21 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:

No. I haven't even sat on one.
Would it really be that foolhardy?

I’m a year younger than you.

I did my full licence (2 months ago) riding my ‘dream’ bike. After a week riding it I knew I was a long way from having one as my regular ride.

Get yourself some refresher training and see if you can’t have a go on something similar, see how you get on with it.

The place I bought my bike offer a test ride for £25, so if you try 3 different bikes you are only in for £75 and if you buy one of them you get it (all) back anyway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

The place I bought my bike offer a test ride for £25, so if you try 3 different bikes you are only in for £75 and if you buy one of them you get it (all) back anyway.

Sod that. Go somewhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Keithy wrote:

Sod that. Go somewhere else.

I know of at least one dealership that does similar. Doubtless to discourage joy riders but it put me off buying anything from them and my stance is probably not uncommon, bet they've lost more in sales than they've saved in joy-riding costs.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I know of at least one dealership that does similar. Doubtless to discourage joy riders but it put me off buying anything from them and my stance is probably not uncommon, bet they've lost more in sales than they've saved in joy-riding costs.

Triumph charged me a tenner to 'go on the insurance' which I thought was a bit rich but then I did give two bikes a thorough going over from there, and bought neither Laughing

Every other dealer - all 3 of them - I went to on my latest bike search didn't charge me for test riding. I didn't pay to test my KTM. And I test rode 3 bikes from the same shop in Southend back in 2012 ish and didn't pay then either.

I'd agree with your premise - I'd have to really want a bike to pay just to test ride it and if I bought it I'd certainly want the cost of the test ride knocked off - cheeky buggers Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Don’t get hung up on capacity Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m in a very similar situation to yourself but - it’s a VFR I’ve always hankered after and - I’m going to be doing some commuting.

My concern is that (even with the greatest of care & attention) it’d be very easy to mis-judge something/make an error early on and the bike’s performance is going to vastly exceed my ability.

I’d been looking at the VFR and CBF but someone on here suggested looking at NC750X...

Now thinking seriously about one of them for a year or so to build up my experience. Secondhand you can get a reasonably new low mileage example for a reasonable sum, won’t lose too much money (hopefully) and be better placed to enjoy the VFR’s potential.

Whatever you decide enjoy and stay safe.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:

Seriously now.
My health is at stake here.
And I can only assume what you mean by, "loop it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICWuR3OR3Ek

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one accidentally "yeets themselves into the sun" as Yammie Noob would say Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it.
You might die tomorrow.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Buy it.
You might die tomorrow.

Listen to this woman, she knows a lot.. most of it from the Karma Sutra admittedly.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Don’t get hung up on capacity Reply with quote

HarryMac wrote:

I’d been looking at the VFR and CBF but someone on here suggested looking at NC750X...

If you want a VFR get one, you won't kill yourself. If I'm wrong and you do, at least you died happy.

Fuck buying an NC especially if you hanker after a VFR. It's the Honda Jazz of the bike world and they all need burning. If you kill yourself on an NC you die sad and go to hell.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR is sound and progressive. It's pretty heavy when moving about by hand - that's my only real negative view of the thing. Otherwise they're fab.

mdavies777
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Born Again Rider Reply with quote

I did something similar. Had a bike in my 20s for couple yrs a 250 then sold it and got a car. Then in 2014 aged 51 bought a Harley Switchback which I still have. I did have a refresher lesson before buying the Harley which I would recommend to anyone. Probably do a few depending on your level of experience. Can only be a good thing and give confidence. Get a bike, be safe, treat everything as a potential threat and enjoy it! Good Luck.

Coffin Dodger wrote:
I am 55 years old have never owned a motorcycle.
However, I do have a full motorcycle licence.

Long story short, 30 years ago I wanted a CBR 600, but I didn't want to buy a 125cc only to sell it on when I passed my test. What I did do was go on a few rider courses and eventually passed my test in 1990 on a rented Honda CB 125 - which was the last time I rode a motorcycle.

Alas, a marriage and mortgage soon followed and the motorcycle never happened.

..... but now I would like a motorcycle again. And can buy anything I want. Should I buy that Honda CBR600RR?

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it.

This is a 30 itch that some boring un-faired 400cc kwak z400 is not going to satisfy.

You need to scare yourself silly, with a good looking sports bike.

I've just looked at the specs, is it really 120 bhp ? nice.....

I would suggest a refresher course though.... 120 bhp .... that's pretty punchy after 30 years ..... I think you'll $hit yourself when you apply the brakes for the first time too... its like hitting a brick wall

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Born Again Rider Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:
I am 55 years old have never owned a motorcycle.
However, I do have a full motorcycle licence.

Long story short, 30 years ago I wanted a CBR 600, but I didn't want to buy a 125cc only to sell it on when I passed my test. What I did do was go on a few rider courses and eventually passed my test in 1990 on a rented Honda CB 125 - which was the last time I rode a motorcycle.

Alas, a marriage and mortgage soon followed and the motorcycle never happened.

..... but now I would like a motorcycle again. And can buy anything I want. Should I buy that Honda CBR600RR?
I'm the same age as you. Don't leave it too long, you haven't got bags of time left!! Very Happy

Why don't you hire one or something of a similar nature and try it out for a few days. That way you will know if it makes your back, bum and wrists ache and if it is too slow/too fast for you etc. These days I look for the most upright comfy position I can, I don't fold as well as I used to.

Algor_Mortis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:53 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend due to the position on the bike.
I've bought the bike of my dreams last year and jumping from a 125 to a supersports 600 wasn't very fun, but scary. Months later done my first 180 miles trip and even being under 30, I had to stop twice because of back pains.
The 125cc was slow as hell but at least I had more energy and time to enjoy the scenery on trips

Coffin Dodger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:05 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Bit the Bullet Reply with quote

I have bought a Honda CBR600F6.
Beautiful motorcycle.

I need breakdown recovery for both my car and this new motorcycle.
Has anyone any views on the best option?
I tend to travel within 10 miles of my home but do travel further on occasion.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Bit the Bullet Reply with quote

Coffin Dodger wrote:
I have bought a Honda CBR600F6.
Beautiful motorcycle.

I need breakdown recovery for both my car and this new motorcycle.
Has anyone any views on the best option?
I tend to travel within 10 miles of my home but do travel further on occasion.

Well done Smile

StartRescue Personal Cover:
https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover/personal

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, nice bikes.

I use the RAC. No issues with my bike, or cars I'm travelling in being recovered/fixed. £11 a month.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2